pinkieseb

End Of The World/Solar System/Universe!?!?

End of the world: Are the Mayans correct? Hopefully not!

End of the Solar System: Sun expanding then going boom?

End of the Universe: Collapsing on itself?

What do you think about all this!?! True? Or lies?

The sun will almost indefinitely die - all stars do in the end. It'll likely grow huge in the end - appearing about 20% larger than what we see today - in several millennia (and I mean, billions of years away), then collapse in on itself, either becoming a Neutron star or just completely busting tongue.gif

The Universe is most likely collapsing in on itself, again a process that'll take even longer than it will take the sun to die. The universe can only be so large, surely.

Just my two cents ^^

Edited by rampaging wyvern

The sun will almost indefinitely die - all stars do in the end. It'll likely grow huge in the end - appearing about 20% larger than what we see today - in several millennia (and I mean, billions of years away), then collapse in on itself, either becoming a Neutron star or just completely busting tongue.gif

The Universe is most likely collapsing in on itself, again a process that'll take even longer than it will take the sun to die. The universe can only be so large, surely.

Just my two cents ^^

That, is exactly what i think will happen. EXCEPT, The sun will turn into a red giant, it will grow large enough to reach Jupiter. All of Jupiters gases will blow up, causing the sun to blow up. Destroying the solar system!

But hey? The Adronoma Galaxy is meant to colide with the Milky Way in 2570.... Theres a 5% chance that the solar system survives the collision. The two Super Massive Blackholes (Real Names) Will eventually eat each other biggrin.gif

And then, our solar system will no longer have a galaxy...

If the 5% dosnt work, we get ripped to streds by the Super Massive Blackholes in the centres of the galxies.

happy.gif

The moon is moving towards us faster everyday! Four years ago, it was coming at the earth 4 cm a year, now it's at least 5 or 6. And that's fast!

Soiled, its moving AWAY from us biggrin.gif

5 or so cm a year, but its moving away. But still, tides will be affected

FLOODS

My thoughts about all this: I won't be alive long enough to see all this.

I really really would wish to see the Andromeda-Milky Way-collision. From a far away point to overlook the spectacle. xd.png

As for the 'end of the world'/'Maya'-thingy... I think you mean their calendar? Whats so special about it anyway? Even if you tell a child to count from 1 to one million it will stop waaaay before that - it just gets boring after a while.

I think they would have just useed their system (maybe not even thinking about the cycling) till end and would then have invented a new system. Or would have called it 'new age' or something and began to count from 1 again.

Calenders usually aren't something very easily predicted/thought trough till end. (I hope I choose the right word. Please correct me if I worded it wrong.)

Before we had our current calendar system we were off around 1/4 day per year (maybe more.. I don't remember). I think they would have had ways to see and correct it (even that long ago) but just didn't feel the need to do so..

Since 2.0 we have the 29th Feb xd.png. Still we are a little off time.

I also remember something about earth slowing down in the movement around itself. Means we will need a new calendar in the far futur or maybe just a new day per week. What ever they will decide in the next ten thousands of years to come. See what I mean? We know about but have no need to do something about it (yet). Why would the Maya think I another way? They were just human too. xd.png

I remember putting up a loooong post elsewhere debating some (not all) doomsday and end of the universe theories. This one is in the '2000 year long day' topic. I'll quote it here:

I reckon this is another 2012 rumour. And it will likely be disproved just like these ones:

(Please note, this is made up of various information from the Internet. Even though none of it is drastically wrong, it may be slightly incorrect in a few parts)

The world will end because the Mayan calendar says so.

This is silly. Just as your calendar stops on December 31st, the Mayan calendar stops on December 21st. And just like the count starts over again on our new calendar, the count starts again for the Mayan calendar.

The planets will line up and cause disaster on Earth.

Um, no. For starters, the planets aren't even going to be close to lining up. In fact, they'll be all over the place. The only alignment that will occur December this year is the annual alignment of the Sun and the Earth with the centre of the Milky Way. Again, this happens every year.

A planet called Nibiru or Eris is headed for Earth.

Again, another Internet rumour. Firstly, Nibiru doesn't exist. Secondly, if such a large object was on a collision course with Earth and was set to strike on December 21st, it would have been spotted years ago and would by now be visible to the naked eye. As for the planet Eris, yes it exists. But it is in the outer solar system and the closest it can come to Earth is about 4 billion miles.

The poles are shifting.

Yes, they are indeed shifting. But it is extremely slow and has happened hundreds of times over the course of the Earth's life. It happens at an average of  every 200,000 to 300,000 years, although it has been more than twice as long since the last reversal. The last reversal happened 780,000 years ago, and fossil records show it had little to no effect. The doomsday hypotheses claims that the magnetic field will disappear momentarily during the shift. While it may weaken, it most certainly will not vanish. The worst that could happen is to have a weaker field which allows a slight increase in solar radiation, but nothing deadly. Anyway, the thick atmosphere offers protection agains the incoming particles.

The Earth is in danger of being hit by a meteor!

The Earth is constantly being hit by meteors, but big ones are very rare. The last big impact was 65 million years ago and was the possible cause of the extinction of dinosaurs. NASA has already determined that there are currently no threatening asteroids.

Solar storms will reach dangerous levels in 2012!

The Sun has a regular cycle which peaks roughly every eleven years. Near these activity peaks, solar flares can cause some interruption with satellite communications, but engineers are learning how to make electronics that are protected against most storms. The next peak will occur in the 2012 - 2014 time frame, and will be just like any other. Granted, NASA recorded a massive solar flare last year that took up half the sun, and there may be an even bigger one later this year, but the Earth's magnetic field protects it from the worst. In fact, right now the Earth is being bombarded with such flares.

So I can safely say that the '2000 year long day' will be, like all these other theories, an Internet scam. The worst that can happen this year is to have to rush off and buy new compasses to keep up with the Polar Shift (correctly known as Magnetic Reversal). And as for the chance of seeing larger and more brilliant auroras? Bring it on, I say!

Edited by rampaging wyvern

Well, if something doesn't destroy the world sooner than the black hole that has 5.7 billion times the mass of the sun will. (I think the sun has like 1.7 billion times the mass of the earth?) So, in terms of how big the black hole is compared to earth is like 5.7 billion x 1.7 billion? Some absolute crazy number lol smile.gif. That black hole of course is thousands of years of away, so for the time being maybe the zombie apocolypse will occur. I mean, it's already started right?

Mayans-Does anybody actually beleive this?

Sun expanding then exploding-Sun will not expand for another millions or billions of years, and it wont explode either, it's too small

Universe collapsing in on itself-How would this even happen?

But hey? The Adronoma Galaxy is meant to colide with the Milky Way in 2570....

Uh, 2570 is way too soon. Adromeda is expected to collide with the Milky Way in roughly four billion years. Source (NASA)

Sun expanding then exploding-Sun will not expand for another millions or billions of years, and it wont explode either, it's too small

Universe collapsing in on itself-How would this even happen?

Not for about 4-4.5 billion years. And that's the lowest estimate I could find. (The highest estimate I found was full death/collapse into white dwarf in 12 billion years.)

As for the universe collapsing in on itself - there's a theory out there that predicts that the universe will eventually stop growing and start shrinking instead, or something along those lines. But I don't think there's any theory or anything that says the universe can or will collapse in on itself.

====

I personally don't believe the universe will ever really collapse and I don't think the theory about the Mayan calendar ending equaling the end of the world is correct. I think the Mayan calendar ended because it ended one of their 400-year calendrical cycles, which I have since forgotten the exact name of.

I find it more likely that the galaxy/solar system will be destroyed if the supermassive black hole at the galaxy's center becomes more active than it is already (according to this month's Scientific American article, our black hole is "moderately active").

I also remember something about earth slowing down in the movement around itself. Means we will need a new calendar in the far futur or maybe just a new day per week. What ever they will decide in the next ten thousands of years to come. See what I mean? We know about but have no need to do something about it (yet). Why would the Maya think I another way? They were just human too.

Somewhat related fun fact: the year is approximately 1/4 of a day longer than the calendars say, which is why we have a leap year every four years, to make up for the 1/4 days we lost in the previous four years. xd.png

A giant fish will eat the universe

Well, I think theres going to be an end. Someday, because begginings always have endings. I don't believe in any of the things mentioned, but I do. Because, you never know how it will end. So in a way I'm just a 'it'll end period!' person. No theories whatsoever.

I figure by the time the sun dies or the solar system ends, it will have long since ceased to be a problem for humanity.

Either humanity will have long since taken to the stars, or more likely will have long since been destroyed, probably by our own doings. When the end of the world comes, it will be brought on mankind, not space-originated natural "disaster".

I'd guess for end of the world, giant volcanoes/earthquakes/other such disasters happen, causing a massive chain reaction that kills the majority of life. Possibly by Yellowstone's volcano.

Or nukes. Nukes are always a possibility now.

Universe dies by heat death or by the "Big Crunch".

THE BIG CRUNCH!!!

My dad used to think that the world will end in a WORLD-WIDE nuclear war.....

Ka-Boom!

All songs must end, but the story goes on... I wonder, what will happen after the end? What has happened before the beginning? Was even a beginning? Or has this been happening in cycles without a real beginning? What's on the outside of the universe? Are we just pawns in a greater being's game? Who knows, there are too many unanswered questions.

Jist read the wiki thing,

Its just like in Doctor Who!

The Stars Are Going Out!

I think that humanity will end this year, because of the "Mayan Apocalypse 12/21/12." Not due to any apocalyptic event, but because people BELIEVE there will be an apocalyptic event to the point where they will do whatever they want because, hey, the world ends in less than 5 months, right?

Either that or zombies. The zombies might take longer, but It's apparently possible.

A gamma-ray burst could also do us in. The phenomena are rare, and would have to be pointed DIRECTLY at Earth to destroy us, but were it to occur, we wouldn't have any chance.

As for our universe ending... Our universe is a frog that has cancer. I think it'll just end up running down and running out of fuel.

I think that humanity will end this year, because of the "Mayan Apocalypse 12/21/12." Not due to any apocalyptic event, but because people BELIEVE there will be an apocalyptic event to the point where they will do whatever they want because, hey, the world ends in less than 5 months, right?

Either that or zombies. The zombies might take longer, but It's apparently possible.

A gamma-ray burst could also do us in. The phenomena are rare, and would have to be pointed DIRECTLY at Earth to destroy us, but were it to occur, we wouldn't have any chance.

As for our universe ending... Our universe is a frog that has cancer. I think it'll just end up running down and running out of fuel.

I doubt it. Compared to the world's population, people that believe the Mayan thing are a vast minority.

Mayan calender, pffft!

I think the world will end in around 2100 or so during a World-Wide Nuclear War.....

OR, The population will get too big, too many trees will be cut down, and we will all die in our own polution

Mayan calender, pffft!

I think the world will end in around 2100 or so during a World-Wide Nuclear War.....

OR, The population will get too big, too many trees will be cut down, and we will all die in our own polution

considering by 2050 I've seen the highest number in 50% of all coastal reigions will be under water, Florida up to the boot hill of Missouri and over will be under water.

Any place that does't have a mountion range to hold back the tide will be any way.

Europeans have been dealing with this problem for years, they have dykes that hold back flood waters as it is in the netherlands so they won't be too effected.

Venice is already floating in some areas. and London is as likely to go under as Denver is, though for different reasons

so there's less and less space

one can only hope that abosbing back the lowlands of the US will help with the ph (Limestone deposits anyone?)

as for me, I'm moving to Colorado. High enough to avoid the sealevel changing, the altitude close to Denver means summers won't be totally unbearble, and it's mostly liberal and democratic, least now anyway.

sounds pretty good compared to swamps and salt flats when the tide goes out in low tide.

not to mention how little drinking water there will be since some of the resivars might be threatened if not by the sea levels than by frack mining.

fun fact,

blue green algea makes 80%+ of the world's oxegen.

it lives in the ocean. so if that goes..

woops guess we need to cut back on pollution and find some other way to get enough air to breath.

Edited by Sorrowgrave

A giant fish will eat the universe

I completely agree. A giant fish is going to eat the universe.

(I'm kidding by the way.)

considering by 2050 I've seen the highest number in 50% of all coastal reigions will be under water, Florida up to the boot hill of Missouri and over will be under water.

Any place that does't have a mountion range to hold back the tide will be any way.

Europeans have been dealing with this problem for years, they have dykes that hold back flood waters as it is in the netherlands so they won't be too effected.

Venice is already floating in some areas. and London is as likely to go under as Denver is, though for different reasons

so there's less and less space

one can only hope that abosbing back the lowlands of the US will help with the ph (Limestone deposits anyone?)

as for me, I'm moving to Colorado. High enough to avoid the sealevel changing, the altitude close to Denver means summers won't be totally unbearble, and it's mostly liberal and democratic, least now anyway.

sounds pretty good compared to swamps and salt flats when the tide goes out in low tide.

not to mention how little drinking water there will be since some of the resivars might be threatened if not by the sea levels than by frack mining.

fun fact,

blue green algea makes 80%+ of the world's oxegen.

it lives in the ocean. so if that goes..

woops guess we need to cut back on pollution and find some other way to get enough air to breath.

Summers still regularly break the 100s. And only big cities like Denver can really be considered liberal... some of the more rural areas are as republican as ever.