SoiledLove

Dora the Explorer

My brother is watching Dora the Explorer right now. I know this is so VERY random, but I was wondering what your thoughts are on Dora the Explorer...

Yeah, excuse my randomness.

I absolutely hate Dora the Explorer. Not only did she haunt me back in the days when I worked in a Party Supply store (Her and the Jonas Brothers) but I just hate her cartoon. I hate the way it's drawn. I hate the stupid "talk to the audience like they're a moron" syndrome (I hated it in Blue's Clues too). I hate how she's now got this teenage spin off series. It reminds me of the MLP Generation 2 and 3 series, which were just bad. I hate how much of a big thing it is. Her and Spongebob are so utterly confusingly bad to me that I can't understand how anyone could watch them for hours on end.

Edited by MysticTiger

Before for children doesn't mean it has to be dumb. That's like saying an Action movie doesn't need an plot because it's an Action movie. If anything, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is clear proof that a children's show can be smart without resorting to "the kids are stupid, let's talk down to them".

I think MLP is geared towards a greater range of ages than Dora. Shows like Dora and Blues Clues and such are geared for a very young audience and pretty much just that. What you call "dumb" is how kids learn and are entertained (with their attentions kept on the same thing) at that age. Shows like Dora are also meant as educational shows, to help kids develop. While shows like MLP have good morals, they're not in the same category of educational as Dora. Kids learn by repetition. By repeating what Dora says several times, it helps them remember and teaches them new things and skills. That age group does not have the greatest memory and they enjoy what they are doing with the characters. ^^

Kids are very sensitive to things like being respected. The show wouldn't be popular if it was actually insulting children. It's just stimulating them as they need stimulated at that age.

(Besides, who can't enjoy an action movie just meant to be full of action, even by sacrificing plot, at least every once in a while?)

I have no problem with Dora. I never really watched it because I was older than the group it was meant for, but I certainly loved the shows like Blue's Clues. Being able to talk to characters in a show and answer their questions? Awesome! Getting to go on adventures with them? Awesome!

I agree with Sock. Although... Backpack is driving me mad!

D:

It isn't the first time I got it in my head and posted because it was all that I could think about! Same with the map... And the song at the end...

I always thought it was stupid that they didn't display the words. It would be a lot more effective if they would display words while speaking them. If they're shouting "Say vamanos!" then the bottom of the screen should have to word vamanos on it.

Agreed. It can't really teach you Spanish if you don't know what the words are like and they don't give you a proper translation.

Agreed with the subtitles bit.

I don't really get the whole Dora thing now? I watched it as a kid. I hated it then, I don't really have a problem with it now.

SWIPER NO. SWIPER STOP. SWIPER YOU HAVE TO ADMIT YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.

Also, just googled Swiper and I got this:

user posted image

Wh- wh-... I don't want to know.

Dora...was my cousin's childhood.

It's not *that* bad, I suppose. The "Ni Hao, Kai Lan!" show seems awful similar to Dora, though.

My grandson liked Dora when he was very small, but outgrew it quickly. Dragon Tales was preferred.

I do agree with the written word display being more helpful than just audio.

Blues Clues and Dora are indeed for the toddler stage children to pre Kindergarten. Small doses are possible but the repition which teaches the younger kids gets old for patienceless adults. Or at least for me.

Dora was my daughters favorite show for quite a while. I remember getting the DVD's (all now donated to her former daycare). I remember leaving Dora style clues for her to find her easter candy.

She is now 12 and if you ask her Dora is lame, but like the others say it is for a very specific age group. However I am still catching myself holding a letter and saying "We just got a letter I wonder who it's from." and singing "Fruit Salad, yummy, yummy." and singing the map song when I do a google map.

So parents the kids shows stick with you!!

When I was young enough to watch it, I thought, "She should wear a more appropriate shirt," and "Why does her head look like a watermelon?"

One of my friends used to be OBSESSED with the show, he also admitted that he used to have a crush on her biggrin.gif

P.S.

In answer to the subtitles comments:

Like sock said, Dora is meant for a certain age range, and I doubt most kids that watch it can read vary well....

Edited by Smaug-is-my-dragon

When I was young enough to watch it, I thought, "She should wear a more appropriate shirt," and "Why does her head look like a watermelon?"

One of my friends used to be OBSESSED with the show, he also admitted that he used to have a crush on her biggrin.gif

P.S.

In answer to the subtitles comments:

Like sock said, Dora is meant for a certain age range, and I doubt most kids that watch it can read vary well....

I guess we should never show kids words then, in case they can't read it yet.

I was never a Dora fan. I always thought she was too bossy xd.png