fainewebbe

Why Do You Abandon Eggs or Hatchlings?

Why Do You Abandon Eggs or Hatchlings?  

400 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There was no choice for "All of the Above".

I sometimes drop due to cave blocker, sometimes to give people a chance at 2nd gens or whatever I feel like breeding (I only breed the highly sought breeds), sometimes because I don't want to keep relatives of the dragons I have. I usually donate to the Departure thread first, then if no one picks them up within a day, they go to the AP.

I abandon a lot of AP eggs/hatchlings for having terrible lineages. As a general rule I prefer CBs and like to look for ERs there, but I always seem to hunt the AP when someone else has decided to breed their horde of inbred 47th gen water walkers or something. Quite frustrating.

I actually do abandon a lot of CB eggs myself when I'm hunting for rares and ultra rares, since my hunting method takes up a lot of scroll space.

I don't abandon eggs for misgendering, but I often will for wrong breed, especially if it's for a lineage project. Nothing personal, I just don't have unlimited amounts of space to keep them all.

I used to think it would be fun dropping random pretty lineages, some of which took over a year to build, to the AP for people to enjoy. Then I actually did it. Once. I still haven't forgiven myself for it. My beautiful even gen checker ended up in one of those super messy inbred lineages. Now I breed my lineages only on request or to gift to people who will actually appreciate a lineage dragon.

AP egg I don't want or something I bred with the intent to drop (generally EGs of non-blockers). Usually I just bite anything I grab from the cave that I don't want.

EDIT: I do mostly use the EG thread to gift intentionally bred for others ones, though. Only abandon when I'm feeling lazy/impatient/both.

Edited by AlternateMew

It's not like they're not asking to question the point of it; they just want to see individual people's reasons for abandoning. Not everyone abandons under the same circumstances.

I don't see what's wrong with a "Why do you name your dragons?" thread (not everyone names, so why do the people that name do it?) or a "Why do you hunt for eggs?" thread (Why do you like DC? Why hunt instead of only going by trading and breeding?), either.

But if you look back at all the posts in this thread, they are pretty similar. There are a few general reasons why everyone abandons.

And as someone stated before, the poll isn't very useful either. It is missing certain options, most importantly 'All of the above'. If that option were there, I'm willing to bet that most people would choose that.

If you abandon a hatchling, is it possible to get it back?

~Please ask questions in the help section.~

Edited by _Z_

If you abandon a hatchling, is it possible to get it back?

Not unless someone else has picked it up and then re-abandoned it. Which with a hatchling almost never happens.

Questions like this belong in help, though.

Sometimes I need room for breeding. Sometimes it's a stripe color I don't want or a black that didn't go alt, but sometimes I just drop a really nice lineaged egg or hatchie for someone else to pick up so that they have something nice for their scroll.

Edited by Misha

I have my own little storyline in my cave, and I like seeing the children of my dragons on other peoples scrolls biggrin.gif

Gives me some more dragons to work with in the storees.

More often than not it's because I wanted a different result out of a breeding, so that's what I stuck on the poll. My dragons do this to me a LOT... alot.png

Occasionally, though, it's because of a stupid misclick or because I'm wanting to give some nice things away (like if I do a flood of BSA breeding). It's only on rare occasions that I have to abandon because I need the space.

I just went on a AP breeding run. When I do this I like to check on the AP to make sure I'm not clogging up the AP. I try to consider myself a responsible breeder and I am not just dumping random messes that are going to sit there, and if I'm blocking it, I'll stop.

But each time i checked, NONE of my eggs were there. I have some eggs I'm hatching for myself, so I don't have as many gifting egg slots this week. So a lot of even gen lineaged or 2Gs made their ways to the AP. Even the ones that aren't perfect checker combos usually are a combo that have a lot of rare dragons or holiday dragons in them, so I generally know that if someone snags it, they find a fun lineage surprise. It may not have all neat angles and color coordination and checkers and whatnot, but they are full of Hollies, Bright Pinks, Frills, Other Holidays, tombstones, tinsels, spriters alts, fun names, , metallics / uncommons / Trios, famous dragon lineages, etc. And I know when I was newer to the game, finding a dragon like this, especially an even gen version, was like finding a golden ticket. I may never have those dragons individually, but I got them in my lineage, which is kinda like they are then they are like trapped in a net and now part of my scroll because I HAVE THEM TRAPPED IN THE LINEAGE MUAHHAHAHAHA.

And I figure anytime I can dump a stripe, or a super common with a fun surprise unexpected lineage... well... needless to say.... they didnt stay in the AP very long.

And with the growing number of dragons on my scroll I just can't FFA forum post EVERYTHING. SO a few gems for those hunt the AP. Especially BSAs. Everyone needs them, and if they have a nice PB or other lineage or are commons as low gen PBs.... well... Happy AP Day!! Even if they get used for trade fodder, I am helping someone get something they want. And that makes me happy.

Hopefully they just won't end up as a vampire snack..... Although I really don't mind that much. I just appreciate someone grabbing it and hope that anyone who happens to get one of my babies maybe one day contacts me about grabbing a mate or one of my prettier dragons.

If not, thanks for giving it a place on your scroll. I send a lot of Goldfish out into the world... and I always see them in good homes. Go Go SPLASH OF DEWM!!

And sometimes the names they give my babies are just .... LOL.... Puff Puff Pass... you are my new favorite Grandbaby xd.png

I breed some semi rares for people to catch. Like Splits, Geodes, Blunas, Goldfish and some of the newer dragons people are still having difficulties getting.

I NEVER breed with anything that could be a AP blocker. I only use stuff people will snatch up quickly. On Holidays I always breed the rare holiday dragons and set them free in the AP for some lucky people to grab.

Edited by yellowhorses

I abandon my eggs because if I see atleast three eggs that look like one of mine in the pile of abandoned eggs, I consider the egg I have not unique and abandon it. I like my to be as unique as possible.

Help my eggs! I promise to help you!

//PLEASE_READ_THE_RULES_BEFORE_ATTEMPTING_TO_POST_YOUR_EGGS

~Eggspam Removed~

Edited by _Z_

Broadly I abandon nice lineages and/or BSA dragons for other people to grab.

Occasionally I re-abandon when I've grabbed an AP egg that has an especially messy lineage. Although more often than not, now, those do end up as vamp bait.

I abandon semi rares as gifts or when breeding my rares end up in another result as wanted. I only breed common dragons if I know someone who needs them. Sometimes I abandon misclicks from the cave.

Other than reabandoning unappealing AP catches, I rarely abandon something once I have it. Most of the time when I do abandon it is because of a new release, and I need the egg space. Occasionally I keep them if they are really desirable, but most of the time I prefer to get new releases while they are still easy to get.

I abandon eggs for many reasons.

I always try to be egg-locked, so if I am leaving for work, if I don't see anything good in the AP, I will pick up a cave blocker, and drop it when I get home.

If the cave was blocked, or if I am just going out for under 5 hours, I instead pick up something from the AP. It keeps it out of the AP, which helps keep it a bit emptier, and has less time when it goes back, which makes it more desirable. Often, I find a gem in the AP, which I keep.

I rarely abandon something that I bred, since I don't breed that often. I am more likely to breed my trios when I am locked, and I only breed the CBs trios with CB blacks or reds so they are desirable. I also only breed CB or PB trios or GWs, so any offspring is wanted.

I have a question, and I thought this thread most accurately related to it. My question is this:

Why does it seem that people (some people in particular), breed every single dragon on their scroll, regardless of breed or lineage, and throw them into the AP to clog it up?

Wouldn't it be more logical and make more sense to breed desirable dragons, OR common dragons with creative lineages, and put them into the AP so that people will actually want them? I understand breeding the more common dragons in an attempt to alter the ratios or whatnot, but people don't try to do cool lineage projects with them, they just breed the most messy lineages possible and constantly throw them into the AP. Is there a reason for this that I don't understand?

I also understand dumping dragons if they don't turn out the breed you were looking for...but 90% of the time when I pick a dragon from the AP and check the lineage, it is a horrible twisted mess.....why not more responsible breeding?

Edit: And just for the record, the only eggs I put in the AP are eggs I would keep myself if I found them there

Edited by ShadowsInAsh

i only abandon eggs never hatchlings and the eggs its usually just cuz i dont need them or i need space cuz i dont like being locked lol

I have a question, and I thought this thread most accurately related to it.  My question is this:

Why does it seem that people (some people in particular), breed every single dragon on their scroll, regardless of breed or lineage, and throw them into the AP to clog it up? 

Wouldn't it  be more logical and make more sense to breed desirable dragons, OR common dragons with creative lineages, and put them into the AP so that people will actually want them?  I understand breeding the more common dragons in an attempt to alter the ratios or whatnot, but people don't try to do cool lineage projects with them, they just breed the most messy lineages possible and constantly throw them into the AP.  Is there a reason for this that I don't understand?

I also understand dumping dragons if they don't turn out the breed you were looking for...but 90% of the time when I pick a dragon from the AP and check the lineage, it is a horrible twisted mess.....why not more responsible breeding?

Edit:  And just for the record, the only eggs I put in the AP are eggs I would keep myself if I found them there

I've wondered the same thing. Much of my scroll is from the AP, even CB eggs, but there are times I have to wade through 40 or 50 of the randomly mismatched lineages to find one I'd like to see on my scroll. While I have vamped or frozen some, I don't generally, unless I'm really fed up with the number I've had to return to the AP.

My best friend from childhood died way too young as a result of her failure to deal with incest issues, so I do have a very hard time seeing inbred eggs, even though there have been some pretty lineages done with a few of them. They are almost always returned to the AP. Sorrow of The Silver Sky is one of my few exceptions, and her story is an example of my feelings about the inbreds.

I have bred 2nd gens, often Reds, or other pretty and useful lines, and some of my Tinsel eggs for the AP, but it is disappointing when I see one of the beautiful babies bred into one of the horrendous tangles.

I do also abandon CB misclicks from Cave hunting.

I VERY rarely abandon a hatchling, usually because of space and time issues. I try to see that they have a good home.

I have a question, and I thought this thread most accurately related to it. My question is this:

Wouldn't it be more logical and make more sense to breed desirable dragons, OR common dragons with creative lineages, and put them into the AP so that people will actually want them? I understand breeding the more common dragons in an attempt to alter the ratios or whatnot, but people don't try to do cool lineage projects with them, they just breed the most messy lineages possible and constantly throw them into the AP. Is there a reason for this that I don't understand?

Edit: And just for the record, the only eggs I put in the AP are eggs I would keep myself if I found them there

Just saw this thread... I wonder the same thing! It's SO annoying sometimes, especially during times when the AP is not already full so that this ends up blocking the caves.

Sometimes I'll breed nice lineages or 2nd gens and abandon them, because they're things someone would want to pick up and keep. I like seeing who gets them, what they're named, how the lineages are continued - but I do this pretty rarely anyway and gift them on the forum more often... still, there's nothing like finding an awesome lineage in the AP smile.gif

Because not everyone cares about lineages. Some people don't know about lineages or don't bother with them. There are many more players who aren't members of the forum then those that are so these people most likely have no idea what is desirable and what isn't. They are just having fun breeding their dragons.

While I know that some people breed maliciously, I can't help but feel that most are just breed because they find it fun and don't realize that there are people who value lineages more than messy or inbred lines. *shrugs* To them a dragon is a dragon and they don't understand why others don't see it the same way.

I abandon when I get the wrong breed for a lineage project or when I'm looking to put a few treats in the AP for others to find since most of my dragons are CB. I've also lost a 2nd gen gold to the AP when I bred without realizing I was hatchie locked. dry.gif Just love when that happens. Recently added a fifth gen black from a GW X Black checker to the AP for the same reason. Hope it found a good home.