fainewebbe

Why Do You Abandon Eggs or Hatchlings?

Why Do You Abandon Eggs or Hatchlings?  

400 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My reasons are multiple:

1) Gifting randomly. I will breed a nice second gen stripe or black etc. that I don't need and drop it to the AP for someone else to enjoy

2) Mis-click in Cave. Rarely do I keep eggs if they are not what I wanted.

3) If the breeding does not go as planned. I have a lovely silver tinsel that is bred to only Fogs and, most of the time, the fogs are the result thus are they abandoned. Or a metallic to common and the common shows up.

Most of the time, I abandon after picking up an egg from the AP finding it's a pretty messy lineage and already having reached the frozen quota for that specific dragon.

Also, nice lineaged eggs I sometimes breed just for the sake of random people finding them.

Mostly misclicks, or eggs I though I wanted but no longer feel like holding on to. My misclicks generally go into the ap a good 24 hours or so after I've picked them up because I tend to play DC at work.

i abandon eggs that have messy lineages even if they are rare someone else always wants them even if they are common someone still dont care about their lineage. also sometimes if i have a egg i am not that interested in and i see a rare egg beign dropped enough on a certain night i will abandon the egg for the rarer egg

Four of the Above: smile.gif

Mis-click from the Cave

Need the Slot on Scroll

Wanted a Different Result from Breeding

Dropping as Gifts for Others

Interesting topic. smile.gif Why haven't I noticed it before?!

Hatchling Gendered Incorrectly

I'd never abandon a hatchling at all, especially not if it gendered wrong. I'd try to trade it and if all else failed, raise it as usual and just get a new one of the gender I want later. Since there's such a massive limit for hatchlings, I'm fine keeping them even if they're not ones I necessarily want that much. smile.gif If anyone doesn't want their hatchies, I'll certainly take them in! tongue.gif

Mis-click from the Cave/Dumping a Caveblocker

This is definitely a reason I'd abandon an egg. Or if I just get sick of waiting for the cave to move so I pick a few things up, hoping for good things underneath. I usually abandon the things I get that I don't really want.

Need the Slot on Scroll

If I'm locked with eggs that I genuinely like and I want to free up a slot on my scroll, I'll usually just wait. However, if I really need that slot for a trade or something that's a really good deal, I'll usually try to give away one of the eggs I like rather than abandoning it. Because then I'll feel bad, since it seems like a waste. tongue.gif

Wanted an Alt and It Hatched/Matured Normal

Again, because of the large hatchie limits, I'd never abandon a hatchie. I don't think I ever have. And usually if I'm hoping something hatched an alt, it'll be a nice lineage anyway, so I'll always have use for nice lineaged blacks and vines, etc.

Wanted a Different Result from Breeding

Yeah, I abandon these. I've abandoned countless 2nd gens from golds and silvers because they weren't golds and silvers. tongue.gif Hopefully they found nice homes anyway!

Dropping as Gifts for Others

Occasionally I'll go through and breed a heap of my CB nebs, pinks, reds, etc. for the AP. But if it's something really nice that I want to gift, then I'll gift it, not breed it for the AP. Just to make sure I know it's getting a good home and going to someone who needs it, rather than someone who's already got lots.

So yeah... basically, I dump misclicks, blockers and failed breeding attempts. But that's about all, really. smile.gif

I abandon if i need the space or if i misclicked something or if i took something just 2 check the lineage otherwise i generally keep things i take cuz im careful about what i grab

Edited by linda3.0

I thought of another reason why ebil me is sending eggs to the ap. [as I did just now - *hides*]

Testbreedings! smile.gif When I want to know whether dragons are compatible with eachother, for futur plans, but not having the sroll slots to raise all fails (or being to impatient to gift them on threads..)

Yeah.. not a nice reason but an honest one laugh.gif

When I know I'll be offline for a while, I pick up random eggs off the AP and then when I come online again, I abandon them. This way, I keep them off the AP for a while and when they go on there again, they are lower in time and people tend to pick those up.

I often have open slots as my dragons do not breed what I want them to dry.gif

Occasionally as misclicks, but mostly because I enjoy breeding my dragons and letting others have the offspring =)

Most of my abandoned eggs are nice BSAs or rare dragons which I specifically breed for the AP. I'll never forget that my first red was an AP catch, so I return the favor biggrin.gif

Pretty much all the eggs released on my scroll are nicely lineaged even gens or stairsteps - I figure someone else might appreciate their beauty as well. smile.gif Many of my dragons are lucky AP catches and I enjoy AP hunting much more then Biome hunting. <3

And sometimes, it simply happens that I simply need an eggslot, mostly because someone breeds a gift for me and since I hate to see someone wait for their egg to be picked up I drop an egg least needed for my scroll (those are mostly blocker CB's I'm collecting).

I don't have many fancy lineages or anything, but I love dropping my dragons' offspring to the AP so I can see how they turned out. What their name is, if the person created a beautiful lineage with their children, etc. I do a weekly check on every single one of my dragons' offspring LOL

Normally, I abandon for misclicks from the cave, or as a gift. It always brightens my day when someone else drops a CB or hard to find dragon in the AP.

If I find a bad linage in the AP, I will typically keep it an release the adult, unless I cannot afford the space due to a new realease.

I really love breeding eggs from rare dragons or with nice lineages and abandoning them so that other people have a random chance to find them... It's so much fun that way!

I'll abandon:

1) eggs from the cave I clicked to keep things moving, but that are from a breed I'm not collecting at the moment,

2) misclicks,

3) eggs from the AP I'd picked up with the sole intent to shave some time off (to make them more appealing to others),

4) eggs I picked up from the AP to see the lineages, but didn't like (so I re-abandon them right away if I don't decide to shave time off),

and 5) eggs I bred deliberately to abandon (often just to see where they end up / if they'll be raised / if they'll be named after their parents).

If I'm really desperate for an egg slot, I might dump an egg I bred that was the wrong breed, but I'm more likely to freeze it as a hatchling or kill the misbred egg and take the temporary loss of an egg slot. Wrongly-gendered hatchlings get traded or frozen.

Usually due to getting the wrong egg from breeding.

"Why do you abandon things?" That's like asking "Why do you eat food?". Abandoning is an essential part of the DC ecosystem. Without it, what would us AP hunters do? We abandon to get rid of unwanted eggs, misclicks or eggs of the wrong breed. Or we breed something and then abandon it just to give someone else a nice little gift.

But do we really need a thread for this? Whatever next, are we going to have a "Why do you name your dragons?" thread? Or a "Why do you hunt for eggs?" thread? tongue.gif

"Why do you abandon things?" That's like asking "Why do you eat food?". Abandoning is an essential part of the DC ecosystem. Without it, what would us AP hunters do? We abandon to get rid of unwanted eggs, misclicks or eggs of the wrong breed. Or we breed something and then abandon it just to give someone else a nice little gift.

But do we really need a thread for this? Whatever next, are we going to have a "Why do you name your dragons?" thread? Or a "Why do you hunt for eggs?" thread? :P

It's not like they're not asking to question the point of it; they just want to see individual people's reasons for abandoning. Not everyone abandons under the same circumstances.

I don't see what's wrong with a "Why do you name your dragons?" thread (not everyone names, so why do the people that name do it?) or a "Why do you hunt for eggs?" thread (Why do you like DC? Why hunt instead of only going by trading and breeding?), either.

I abandon AP eggs right away if they aren't what I was looking for, scrol space is precious. biggrin.gif

Sometimes I abandon lineage breakers because with some of my projects I tend to get LOTS of the wrong type before I get the egg I want and don't want to lock my scroll when there are so many people out there who enjoy lineages and might like it. And of course PBs, Vampires or whatever else I don't need but others might like.

And very very rarely I drop eggs I like because I need the space for something even more awesome, but that's always a sad day...

You're missing the misclicks from the AP in the poll. That's pretty much the only reason I abandon, when I catch a messy inbred on the AP, and I almost never hunt on the AP, so it doesn't happen often. Also, but I try and avoid this at all costs, so it has only happened about twice in my entire time on DC, when there is a release I may abandon any caveblocker egg I have which I am sure I can replace.

Once an egg is on my scroll, barring very unusual circumstances, it is there to stay. I feel like it would be mean to those poor eggs to cast them out. They are helpless babies and deserve a home whatever they are. Yes I have too much empathy and it gets a bit ridiculous sometimes.

But hey, that's how I got my CB Frill pair when everyone hated them, I picked them up out of pity and now they are some of my most prized dragons xd.png

Sorry about the rambling, it's late here and I need to clear my mind.

Misclicks from the AP or misgendered hatchies, mainly. But I love breeding goodies and dumping them to make someone smile. Good finds in the AP always make me smile, so I thought why not return the favor. smile.gif