Lophelia

Donate

How about if the egg/hatchling doesn't stay on your scroll. Instead, it drops to a "hidden AP", only available to a selection of random people who meet certain conditions, such as having X number of adult dragons but less than Y of that breed, for example. Those people, when they go to their scrolls or the Cave, will see a message such as, "You have found a hidden cache where someone has placed a special egg! What will you find there?" Then, just like the regular AP, they can pick up the egg or not. If they pick it up and don't want it, they can drop it back to the hidden cache for the next person, but they can't otherwise trade or drop it.

If it's not taken within, say, 24 hours, it will drop to the regular AP.

Perhaps there could be an account option to turn access to the hidden cache off and on, and to choose which breeds of eggs one would like to find there.

This. This idea is great! I would love to see a secret cave like this...

I don't like the secret cave area, but if it were adapted slightly, it would probably be fine. I agree that this idea is a good one, although I would pot out unless they were hatchies. ;-;. I don't want to take the time to raise eggs I don't care for, and pick up from the AP because I like seeing what surprises are there.

How about if the egg/hatchling doesn't stay on your scroll. Instead, it drops to a "hidden AP", only available to a selection of random people who meet certain conditions, such as having X number of adult dragons but less than Y of that breed, for example. Those people, when they go to their scrolls or the Cave, will see a message such as, "You have found a hidden cache where someone has placed a special egg! What will you find there?" Then, just like the regular AP, they can pick up the egg or not. If they pick it up and don't want it, they can drop it back to the hidden cache for the next person, but they can't otherwise trade or drop it.

If it's not taken within, say, 24 hours, it will drop to the regular AP.

Perhaps there could be an account option to turn access to the hidden cache off and on, and to choose which breeds of eggs one would like to find there.

I think this kind of goes against how DC works. If you want an egg, you just have to be able to find and grab it. Having a secret place that not everybody can see seems...I dunno. A tad elitist? Mean? Can't get the word I really want, but I don't really like the idea. Sorry! :X

I think this kind of goes against how DC works. If you want an egg, you just have to be able to find and grab it. Having a secret place that not everybody can see seems...I dunno. A tad elitist? Mean? Can't get the word I really want, but I don't really like the idea. Sorry! :X

Not sure how it's so different from sending an egg to a random person. It's just a different way of delivering the egg. No more elitist than sending someone a Teleport link.

Not sure how it's so different from sending an egg to a random person. It's just a different way of delivering the egg. No more elitist than sending someone a Teleport link.

Except teleport is a specific action, not a whole section of the site being hidden from users.

It was a glitch to being able to refresh /abandon/code and get the dragon, I don't see why you should be able to send to a specific AP in this stead. If you want to gift to a certain type of person, advertise for that in a gifting thread. We got teleport exactly for this reason.

Except teleport is a specific action, not a whole section of the site being hidden from users.

It was a glitch to being able to refresh /abandon/code and get the dragon, I don't see why you should be able to send to a specific AP in this stead. If you want to gift to a certain type of person, advertise for that in a gifting thread. We got teleport exactly for this reason.

Then... you're against the idea of Donate altogether? I thought you were responding specifically to my suggestion for a way to handle Donating.

I'm not all that invested in the idea either way -- I'm perfectly happy to AP or FFA or gift my eggs, I don't need another way to give them away. But if we were to have it, my suggestion was just a way to get the egg off your scroll while the site chooses a recipient for it.

So, instead of this:

1. Choose "Donate" action on an egg.

2. Egg sits on your scroll as if in Teleport.

3. Site decides on a recipient.

4. Recipient sees a message on their scroll that they have a Donated egg waiting for them.

5. Recipient accepts/declines the egg. If accepted, egg is transferred. if not, it stays on your scroll and you can keep, drop, or re-Donate it.

You would have this:

1. Choose "Donate" action on an egg.

2. Egg leaves your scroll for some sort of storage area for Donated eggs, which I called a "hidden AP" but isn't really an AP, except that it's a place where people put eggs they don't want, for someone else to pick up.

3. Site decides on a recipient.

4. Recipient sees a message on their scroll that they have a Donated egg waiting for them.

5. Recipient picks up the egg or doesn't. If not picked up, the site chooses another recipient and the process starts over. Either way, the egg is off the breeder's scroll and they can't get it back.

However, after thinking about it, I kind of agree with you that it shouldn't be up to the site to choose recipients for these eggs based on certain criteria. People should do that themselves through gifting threads, etc. So I guess I am not in favor of this idea after all.

But I like this idea because my only real criteria for gifting an egg is that they don't have any of that dragon. It would allow me to gift without having to deal with inactive people on gifting lists and people who don't check their PMs often enough.

I was imagining something in-between the two. It would be off the donator's scroll since the donator no longer owns it. It would appear at the top of one scroll [without taking up any space on it so it doesn't mess up hunting before the person knows its there] [and possibly someone who is currently doing stuff on the site] with a lineage link and the ability to accept or decline it. If declined or left for x amount of time [24 hours?] it moves on to another scroll that doesn't have any of that breed. I'd say it should hit the AP if it bounces around until it reaches 4 days or maybe 3 days so that it can get a better chance of being raised. Only one egg can be offered to a scroll at a time, which gives an incentive to decline an egg you don't want, since if you let it sit you can't be offered another egg until it leaves automatically.

And what's wrong with the site choosing who is "worthy" when the people it chooses are the most deserving? Who would you rather get your abandoned bred gold, someone who has 50 of them [which seems to be the case most of the time when I go through the AP] or someone who this is their first gold? Spread the wealth I say!

And it can't be abused as long as the egg has no trade ability, since people wouldn't be able to create a nearly empty "donate" account that would accept eggs and transfer them to the "main" account [against the rules anyways, but when has that stopped them?] I was thinking that instead of "abandon" it would have "donate" to put it back into the donate system, at least until the timer gets low enough that it should go into the AP to get a home quick.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I don't know that I'd use this, but I'm not necessarily against it. I do, however, have a few reservations.

First, I think that the only criteria for getting the egg should be a. that they don't have that breed, and b. that they've been active in the last X amount of time.

While I totally understand why people would want the eggs to go to people without dead eggs or that have raised a certain amount of dragons, I think that if a player wants to send their dragon to the safest home possible (meaning one that meets specific criteria), then they should set that up with such a person and use up the teleport which is the "cost" of keeping an egg out of just anybody's hands.

Also, how much information is this going to require the site to juggle? Even without a bunch of scroll requirements beyond not having the breed, this is definitely an increased chance of seeing one's dragons' offspring live and be taken care of - if only because you know, for sure, that the person who gets if will probably attach more value to it because they don't have any others.

With both the gifting aspect and the extra egg security, I can see lots and lots of players using this with every egg they breed. So the site has to take the egg, keep it in limbo and tied to no one's scroll while it finds a member that meets the requirements, link it to them and then wait for their decision, then possibly do the process all over again if it's declined.

That might not seem like a lot of work for the system (and maybe it actually isn't), but multiplied over many, many eggs, all at once, and I can see it adding up.

And I think that people may be imaging that these are going to be mostly rares or uncommons that are being sent, but if it even slightly increases a person's chance of having the eggs they give up survive, why wouldn't the donate every single egg they breed - even the ultra commons?

Not only would this increase the amount of eggs the site is now trying to find homes for, but it would clear out a lot of the AP. And while, at times, that may seem like a good thing, the fact is that the AP isn't always full of eggs (there were 3 at one point when I was hunting today), but a lot of people use it to find eggs because it can often be easier than getting them in the main cave. This would decrease their ability to find those eggs themselves, and leave them hoping to be randomly chosen by the system instead.

Also, is there going to be a way to see the egg's lineage before accepting? Because there are a lot more new players that are interested in having low gen or "nicely" lineaged eggs. And that becomes even more likely as a player gets more dragons, and since there are so many breeds, a player with 50 dragons, who has an even better chance of being lineage particular, may be lacking a number of different breeds - from commons to rares. That may not matter so much for the Gold someone might send, but it definitely could with those dragons that are more easily attainable.

So, if lineages aren't viewable, then I forsee quite a bit of re-donating, thus keeping eggs being juggled even longer.

Perhaps there could be a limit so that people could only donate another egg after the last one had been accepted.

I was thinking that this could only be available for the rares and uncommons since if commons were allowed the donate system could very easily be flooded with them. Perhaps with commons there could be some limitations on what can be donated or how many can be donated if they can be donated at all. Like maybe if there's x number of water walker eggs in the donation system it won't take any more until the number drops.

And even if the commons were freely allowed into the system, I already said that a "kick out" mechanism would need to be in place where an egg that got to 4 or 3 days would be booted to the AP, where at that time left it would get an immediate home.

This option should be allowed for all dragons, simply because what's uncommon changes constantly. If only uncommons and rares were allowed to be sent, the list of eggs that could be donated would have to change every month. And that's just unnecessary work.

Also, a "kick out" mechanism for eggs that were rejected a number of times would also be nice. tongue.gif

No, I'm pretty sure that "uncommon" is a rarity set in the cave. Commons that are so popular they are treated as uncommon in trades are different. The ones that are chronically treated as such could be manually added, but seeming rarity fluctuation in the cave is just the ratios balancing things out.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I agree with Skauble and Pokemonfan13 here. A kick out option would be great, and a way to install how many eggs go to what would make this idea perfect, in my eyes. Also, I do think their is a set 'common' > 'uncommon' > 'rare' ratio thing set in place already, or we would see more golds/silvers/ect. Although I guess tinsels are uncommon, because they breed exactly like blunas.

I really liked this idea. It was simple yet a really wonderful giving altruistic fun thing. The problem is as the more we get into the details, the more complicated it gets, and the more that it seems that there is just not an easy way to put this in. Or at least not without much arguing over the little things.

I feel one of the issues I have is I get tired of posting gifts and then they are taken by some random person with an anonymous scroll who probably already has many nicer eggs. Or it goes to some super new person who has no idea and the egg dies. I want it to go to this imaginary perfect person that is active yet still new enough that it would be appreciated and they will love it for ever and ever and ever.

Thats just not how DC works. People who are legit "new active players without many awesome dragons" will become "normal users with very nice dragons" in only a few months. There is so much gifting to "new" people that people will pretend to be "new" just to get nicer stuff.

I think the only way this is ever going to work the way we all wish it would work is if we are willing to breed the dragon, make a post, wait for responses, select the user and then teleport it. The problem is people don't like to have their egg slots filled with eggs they want to give away.

So while this is gonna be blunt and people are going to argue, the only way I see it is if you want to gift it to your "perfect player" (which is more of a fantasy and not realistic like any dream person), you need to be willing to take up an egg slot waiting to find that person. Otherwise, if you aren't willing to waste an egg slot hunting this person down, then the egg just doesn't mean as much to you as you would like to think. Very few people have eggs that are as awesome is they would like to believe. Or if they are, and you aren't willing to hold out until you find the magic person and want to get rid of the egg, then you should be happy for whoever grabs it, if it is taken and/or raised at all.

Just because we're getting into some of the mechanics of how it would work doesn't mean the idea suddenly isn't simple. I suspect it wouldn't be all that hard to code, the main question is how much processing power would it need.

And I do think there should be a minimum of adult dragons [maybe to allow for people who only collect hatchlings 2 or 3 frozens count for an adult] That way newbies have a chance to practice on commons and blockers before they start getting offers of uncommon and rare eggs. The most likely number would be 10, the same number that gives access to description reviewing.

Then... you're against the idea of Donate altogether? I thought you were responding specifically to my suggestion for a way to handle Donating.

Both, really. x3

When I quoted you, I was replying specifically to your idea. I also had an earlier post saying I didn't really like the idea. It's just that teleport functions as a way to do things like this, so I don't get why we need a different way to do it. D| /confused Sock

If this turns into a thread just for teleporting to random people, I will point out this thread:

Teleport Gifts to Random Users: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=132565

(Didn't/haven't merged because, from my understanding, this suggestion works by a different mechanism, yes?)

I'll also link this one, which I think some may be interested in: Teleport Option - Giveaway: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=134217 which allows you to set up a one-way transfer that users could then request. Their request would give you information like how many dragons they have/how many of that breed, and then you could decide which user to give it to.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

But it isn't random, since not everyone meets the criteria of not having that species.

With truly random gifting I could have a gold egg teleported to my scroll even though I have 4 CBs and maybe 3 lineaged golds, plus 3 frozens. This concept is not truly random, since I could not be chosen to have a gold [or any dragon apart from mints and dinos and chickens] through this system.

One way to prevent all rares from going through this system instead of the AP would be to have a limit of x number of donations per week. That way you'd have to find the recipient manually or dump it on the AP if you exceed that number. If nothing else it would make the person think about what they want to use the feature for, and would reduce or remove the possibility of being overwhelmed with commons as well. Like I would use it to donate tinsels if there was a limit, since it is a royal pain to find people to take them.

But I also like the idea attached to that second link, although it isn't as convenient as this one.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

So while this is gonna be blunt and people are going to argue, the only way I see it is if you want to gift it to your "perfect player" (which is more of a fantasy and not realistic like any dream person), you need to be willing to take up an egg slot waiting to find that person. Otherwise, if you aren't willing to waste an egg slot hunting this person down, then the egg just doesn't mean as much to you as you would like to think. Very few people have eggs that are as awesome is they would like to believe. Or if they are, and you aren't willing to hold out until you find the magic person and want to get rid of the egg, then you should be happy for whoever grabs it, if it is taken and/or raised at all.

This is how I'm leaning, too.

The thing is that it is certainly very nice to gift an egg to another player. However, the more conditions that get placed on the receiver to make them an "acceptable" recipient, the more it becomes about the giver having a much, much higher chance of getting the egg to what they find to be the most suitable home without any of the work that usually entails.

And I want to make it clear that I don't think that anyone is wrong for wanting their eggs to go to certain types of players or do targeted gifting. But DC eggs are shared amongst all players, and if someone want to circumvent that, then they have to be the ones to set that up, because the site doesn't, as far as I know, deny certain players access to eggs.

Yes, it takes time and it uses up a spot to gift an egg to a specific type of player. But that's the price someone pays to determine who is deserving of a specific egg. Again, I think that it's both fine and understandable to want an egg to go to specific players, but I also think that it's reasonable that excluding everyone else, simply for personal preferences, should have a cost.

And I'd bet that overall this increases the number of people that are gifted to, since this allows people who not on the forums or don't go to the gifting threads to receive gifts.

And I'd bet that overall this increases the number of people that are gifted to, since this allows people who not on the forums or don't go to the gifting threads to receive gifts.

This as well. Many users do not go on the forums at all, or do not post often. There are a lot of active lurkers, but again, unless you are willing to post or reply to an offer, then the system in place will not necessarily allow you to get a certain egg type.

I really wish we could go back to the simple idea of, you are locked. You breed a Gold egg. You get the option of donate or AP. You choose donate. It goes to a non-Gold-owning random person's scroll (not taking up an egg slot) and waits for 24 hours to be claimed. If it is not claimed, it goes to the next person, then the AP.

I think that causes the least problems and can be agreed upon?

I really wish we could go back to the simple idea of, you are locked. You breed a Gold egg. You get the option of donate or AP. You choose donate. It goes to a non-Gold-owning random person's scroll (not taking up an egg slot) and waits for 24 hours to be claimed. If it is not claimed, it goes to the next person, then the AP.

I think that causes the least problems and can be agreed upon?

You need some sort of activity requirement, since probably half of the scrolls without golds are inactive or the person who made it is just plain gone and will never come back.

I personally think there should also be an adult/frozen dragon requirement too [relatively small, maybe 10 adults with 2 or 3 frozens counting as an adult] just to give the newbies a chance to get the hang of things before offering them rare eggs.

And it should probably just key on how many days left, not how many scrolls its bounced around on.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

You need some sort of activity requirement, since probably half of the scrolls without golds are inactive or the person who made it is just plain gone and will never come back.

I personally think there should also be an adult/frozen dragon requirement too [relatively small, maybe 10 adults with 2 or 3 frozens counting as an adult] just to give the newbies a chance to get the hang of things before offering them rare eggs.

And it should probably just key on how many days left, not how many scrolls its bounced around on.

That's a good idea, but that could in theory leave the egg bouncing for days until it's dead. Maybe if it's at a certain time, it just get auto-dropped into the AP, if it can find no home? That would make more of an incentive to at least try to gift uncommons.

Edited by Ashes The Second

We've already talked about an auto-boot system, probably at 4 or 3 days left.

I'm about ready to update the first post since the OP seems to have posted and never come back....

Edited by Pokemonfan13

As long as it only applies to breeds you don't have yet, that's fine with me. Although I'm afraid I might get swamped with offers of the two (or so) common breeds that I absolutely don't collect.  rolleyes.gif

I'd also rather have a feature to limit the pool of people who might get the egg, because I'd rather gift to someone who's been playing for a while *and* shows some activity (as in visiting his scroll regularly) than to a player who's been inactive for years or one who just joined (and might not even know how to raise dragons at all).

i really like this it could be great for the holidays especially hollies but i want there to be an activity limit so like

bob has a cb holly and breeds it and get 2 eggs

he keeps one egg and decides to donate the other

there is a random pool of users who dont have any hollies yet

i want there to be an activity limit so like only users who have been active in the past couple of months even if they're been registered for a year can be in the pool and only users that have been registered at max for a couple months can qualify so users that have only been registered for like a week cant qualify for the pool.

there should be a time limit for when you can accept the egg im thinking either 24 hours or less before the egg gets sent to someone else

and the lets say the egg doesnt get picked up in three days by different users, bob should have the choice to cancel the donation which would send the egg off into the ap

Edited by CellyBean

I would not support this for holidays. You get the option to keep one, and any extras go to the AP. If you are that keen to gift, you can gift the one you kept. I would support this for single eggs, including the single kept holiday, to go to anyone with one or none of that breed on their scroll.

Edited by fuzzbucket