Lophelia

Donate

I have a new idea that I think would be really nice. If you breed dragons and get an egg and you already have as many as you can get, or if you just don't want an egg anymore (or hatchling) I think that, instead of just sending it to the abonded area, you can have another option which is to 'donate' the egg. If you donate it, the egg will go to another random player that does not yet own that type.

If you recieve an egg you will just get a notice on top of your scroll as soon as you log in. There will be an accept and decline button, and if you don't want it then press the decline button and it will go to another player.

Please tell me what you think of this, it doesn't matter if you agree or disagree.

Thanks,

~Lophelia

As long as it only applies to breeds you don't have yet, that's fine with me. Although I'm afraid I might get swamped with offers of the two (or so) common breeds that I absolutely don't collect. rolleyes.gif

I'd also rather have a feature to limit the pool of people who might get the egg, because I'd rather gift to someone who's been playing for a while *and* shows some activity (as in visiting his scroll regularly) than to a player who's been inactive for years or one who just joined (and might not even know how to raise dragons at all).

Edited by olympe

I'd also like an option to be able to choose what dragons I would like to get donated (because I want all the purples) but that might be too much coding. :3

I do like this idea, though. You'd probably need a 24 hour adoption window so you don't have one person just sitting around with this optional egg for days. And if the egg isn't accepted in this time, it goes back to the AP, gets donated to someone else or have an option for the donator that if it isn't accepted, it returns back to the donator's scroll.

Just throwing some ideas out. smile.gif

Yea, I'd say they'd have to have been playing for more than a week, preferably a month [adult/frozen minimum? 10?], and have been active in the last 24 hours, and has no dead eggs or hatchlings. That way the egg won't go to a newbie who will never use their scroll, a newbie who doesn't know how to raise dragons yet, an inactive scroll, or someone who uses the kill option and killing BSAs.

Maybe users could have a checklist of "autodecline these dragons". Like I don't collect mints, and I'd hate to be bombarded with mint donations.

I would totally use this, since I basically do it manually right now, since I breed to gift and I only gift to users who don't have that breed yet.

In the "accept/decline" thing there'd have to be a lineage link so people can see if the magma egg they were just offered is a 2nd gen or a umpteenth gen inbred.

And trading should be disabled with these gifted eggs.

The main downside is it means that uncommon and rare eggs would probably almost never go through the AP, since people would use this system instead.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

What if they had to have 10 adult dragons to be eligible for the donation? Isn't that we need to review descriptions?

I agree ten adult dragons seems to be a good idea and possibly an opt out/in button.

If this was an option for hatchlings, I'd be on board; though like others, I have some breeds I absolutely don't want to collect, so it would be nice to be able to say 'please, none of these'.

If it's an option for eggs, you have the problem that someone in the middle of an egg hunt might (to exaggerate) come across a CB silver in the cave, sure in the knowledge they still have one more egg slot, and then... bam. Overburdened message, because someone donated an egg of a species they don't have yet. So eggs would be a dangerous thing to allow to donate. smile.gif

Though you could make it that a donation never takes the last egg slot away - though that'll just shift the problem to 'I have two egg slots, I can pick up both of these eggs!', though that's admittedly a less common occurrence by far.

Oops, I was reminded of a different suggestion that cropped up a while ago and mistook this one for a rehashing of it, m'apologies!

I did find this while searching, though - Teleport Gifts to Random Users. That's essentially the same thing as this suggestion, just as a BSA. That also got positive responses, so yay! biggrin.gif

(BTW, sorry for the delayed edit... I'd forgotten I'd posted here.)

Edited by pinkgothic

If it's an option for eggs, you have the problem that someone in the middle of an egg hunt might (to exaggerate) come across a CB silver in the cave, sure in the knowledge they still have one more egg slot, and then... bam. Overburdened message, because someone donated an egg of a species they don't have yet. So eggs would be a dangerous thing to allow to donate. smile.gif

No, I think the way this is is it comes up as an offer that you can accept or decline and if you decline it goes to someone else [auto decline after 24 hours so the egg doesn't get stuck on someone who doesn't get on?]. That way it could offer to someone who has full egg slots and they could dump something if they want to take the egg.

Lophelia, it is a good idea to edit your first post with new takes/expanded ideas about your concept that you think would work well so that someone doesn't have to read the entire thread to get a gist of the concept, since concepts always evolve.

Yea, I'd say they'd have to have been playing for more than a week, preferably a month [adult/frozen minimum? 10?], and have been active in the last 24 hours, and has no dead eggs or hatchlings. That way the egg won't go to a newbie who will never use their scroll, a newbie who doesn't know how to raise dragons yet, an inactive scroll, or someone who uses the kill option and killing BSAs.

I agree with all this except for the killing/dead egg part. Killing is part of the game like it or not, so a feature of the game (adoption) should be available to all, no matter how you choose to play the game. I personally don't use the kill action (except for zombies on Halloween), but I do make vampires so I have dead eggs sometimes. Why should that exclude me?

Maybe exclude vampire kills, but at the same time do you really want the egg you just bred going to someone who uses the kill action all the time and might kill the egg?

Maybe exclude vampire kills, but at the same time do you really want the egg you just bred going to someone who uses the kill action all the time and might kill the egg?

I don't have a problem with that. Once an egg goes off my scroll, it isn't mine and the new owner should be able to do whatever they want with it (within game rules of course).

All I know is some people are really protective about the babies of their dragons, to the point that they don't abandon any eggs since there's no guarantee that they'll get to adulthood.

But if it isn't important to most people then leave it out.

To me when I don't want it, why should I care anymore. If you care, you would not let go of it

@Pokemonfan13:

That's the risk of donating. I think it's an acceptable one.

I do like this idea and think with the right restrictions (see my first post here minus this no killed eggs bit, but I think it should include eggs that ran out of time since that's a clue that the person hasn't gotten the hang of raising eggs yet) it would be very useful for people who want to give but hate the hassle of getting in touch with people on the forums. I swear half the people on giving lists have gone inactive since joining the list.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

To me when I don't want it, why should I care anymore. If you care, you would not let go of it

Personally, this. If you want to find a specific kind of home for it, then use the gifting threads or browse through new users (utilizing introductions) or something. That's what teleport is for. Finding a home for dragons is actually also what the AP is for. xP

I really love this idea, and fully support it! Though a lot of people are worrying about getting spammed with commons they don't want, so I have a solution to it! What if, when you decline an egg, another option comes up asking if you want to be sent the species anymore, and you could choose yes or no. Than mabye in the future, if you changed your mind, you could set it back to yes in account settings.

i love this idea. it'd make me feel a bit better if i have to abandon something. i always feel like a person with hundreds of them will grab it before a noob

@Pokemonfan13:

That's the risk of donating. I think it's an acceptable one.

Pretty much this. I've had many of my second gen magis outright bitten and killed and though I feel a slight loss for my little oranges, it doesn't bother me. It was the person's choice and I abandon the eggs to see where they might go.

I'd like to be able to randomly gift, but I'd like several options on gifting other than the ones already suggested. One to be able to opt out of being gifted to completely. Two being able to gift to people who already have that dragon if the gifter chooses that option.

Also an option " gift to someone currently online" would be great if possible. The reason I don't gift often is because I don't want the egg sitting on my scroll for more than a day or two, so I usually wait until someone is online.

love this idea to be honest that means anyone who cannot get a certain breed will be able to have the opportunity to get one or more, i do like the gifting threads but sometimes it doesn't always go right.

Also an option " gift to someone currently online" would be great if possible. The reason I don't gift often is because I don't want the egg sitting on my scroll for more than a day or two, so I usually wait until someone is online.

I agree 100% with allowing this option, although I don't know if it is possible. Or I would at least like the option of cancelling a donation if it is not picked up by the time I want my egg space back.

I generally like this whole idea, as long as we can decline eggs and they don't just show up on the scroll, which would really mess things up -- although I currently have at least one of every available dragon, so I guess I would not be getting egg offers anyway. I would not mind donating some of my nice eggs in this way.

Edited by purplehaze

How about if the egg/hatchling doesn't stay on your scroll. Instead, it drops to a "hidden AP", only available to a selection of random people who meet certain conditions, such as having X number of adult dragons but less than Y of that breed, for example. Those people, when they go to their scrolls or the Cave, will see a message such as, "You have found a hidden cache where someone has placed a special egg! What will you find there?" Then, just like the regular AP, they can pick up the egg or not. If they pick it up and don't want it, they can drop it back to the hidden cache for the next person, but they can't otherwise trade or drop it.

If it's not taken within, say, 24 hours, it will drop to the regular AP.

Perhaps there could be an account option to turn access to the hidden cache off and on, and to choose which breeds of eggs one would like to find there.

How about if the egg/hatchling doesn't stay on your scroll. Instead, it drops to a "hidden AP", only available to a selection of random people who meet certain conditions, such as having X number of adult dragons but less than Y of that breed, for example. Those people, when they go to their scrolls or the Cave, will see a message such as, "You have found a hidden cache where someone has placed a special egg! What will you find there?" Then, just like the regular AP, they can pick up the egg or not. If they pick it up and don't want it, they can drop it back to the hidden cache for the next person, but they can't otherwise trade or drop it.

If it's not taken within, say, 24 hours, it will drop to the regular AP.

Perhaps there could be an account option to turn access to the hidden cache off and on, and to choose which breeds of eggs one would like to find there.

I like the idea, I just wonder how difficult that would be to set up.