dch75

Hamsters

Was looking around the fourm and could not help buut notice no thred about hamsters. blink.gif So I thought i would make one. If there is another one sorry i could not find it. Nice place to talk about our furry little friends and post pice and tell stories about them.

Here is my little guy user posted image his name is Groucho he is a talkative little thing in his cage. Had him for a year and a half.

Do you know what breed he is? He looks content in there. I had an albino dwarf hamster for about a year awhile back.

Hes a dwarf hamster biggrin.gif . Got him and his brother (may he rest in peace) from Pet Co during adoption. He has skin problems but i love him all the same.

He's adorable! wub.gif

My sister had a dwarf hamster a few years ago, named Ginger. So cute and friendly and cool, never bit anyone... when my sister was sleeping, I'd get Ginger out of her cage and let her run around on my desk, and put her in her exercise ball, and we'd just kinda hang out for a while.

user posted image

But then just two months later, she came down with wet tail, and we took her to the vet, and they gave us meds to give her, but by the time we woke up the next day, she was dead. sad.gif

Hamsters are so cute. ^__^ I love rodents, but I've never had any. I have my hands quite full with two parrots, two cats, and two hermit crabs, not to mention no room for another cage or time to clean it and hang out with them. :/ I would love to eventually have hamsters or gerbils, though. Or mice. biggrin.gif

He's adorable! wub.gif

My sister had a dwarf hamster a few years ago, named Ginger. So cute and friendly and cool, never bit anyone... when my sister was sleeping, I'd get Ginger out of her cage and let her run around on my desk, and put her in her exercise ball, and we'd just kinda hang out for a while.

user posted image

But then just two months later, she came down with wet tail, and we took her to the vet, and they gave us meds to give her, but by the time we woke up the next day, she was dead. sad.gif

Aww poor thing. I've lost lost quite a lot of pets to wet tail. Hamsters ,guinea pigs, even a degu.

I have a Dwarf Hamster named Cookie. Got her a couple years ago. (:

I wish I could have hamsters, but they aren't allowed in Australia. No fair!

I have a rat though, but so many people hate rats sad.gif So they can't see the true value in her.

Edited by rampaging wyvern

i used to have hamsters, Godzilla and BeeBop then my parents made me get rid of them

I wish I could have hamsters, but they aren't allowed in Australia. No fair!

I have a rat though, but so many people hate rats sad.gif So they can't see the true value in her.

How come you can't have hamsters over there? I've had rats too but my little brother and mum where scared to death of old spike. Now all I can bring home are either hamsters( which I got one and he has one) or reptiles as long as they have legs lol.

Aweee smile.gif I had a Roborovski Dwarf hamster about a year ago... She was about 3 years old when she died... sad.gif But we had some great times together! I remember the very first time I put her in her cage (she wasn't named yet, first day) she climbed up the little ladder leading to the wheel and fell off! She was sooo clumsy!!! And for this I named her after my beloved cousin, Brianna. Although I shortened it to Brie laugh.gif I also remember putting the round cage up, putting building blocks down in a maze, and releasing her to roam around and try to find the treats at the end. Even though she always climbed over everything... tongue.gif She was soo adorable! I miss her so much, and, to this day, think about her often </3

I had 2 of them. One was Rollie (he was fat) and another one called Chuckie. Chuckie died before Rollie sadly. Chuckie was my cousins hamster that I took in when they was going to get rid of them.

How come you can't have hamsters over there? I've had rats too but my little brother and mum where scared to death of old spike. Now all I can bring home are either hamsters( which I got one and he has one) or reptiles as long as they have legs lol.

I think it's something to do with preventing escaped animals from breeding with other creatures or transmitting disease... Maybe even to prevent the risk of them taking over (like rabbits). But if we can have animals like rats and mice here, why not hamsters?

Edited by rampaging wyvern

I had two hamsters when I was younger. One was black with a white part in the middle so his name was Oreo. Then we got a golden long haired hamster named Simba who got really chubby. tongue.gif Our first one was way too young when we got it do she died right away and we got Oreo for free.

I wanted this one hamster who looked like Sonic the hedgehog because of his hair on top. tongue.gif I'd really like to have a dwarf hamster though.

I think it's something to do with preventing escaped animals from breeding with other creatures or transmitting disease... Maybe even to prevent the risk of them taking over (like rabbits). But if we can have animals like rats and mice here, why not hamsters?

Hm... I don't see why not, but I am saddened for you because you can't have one sad.gif They are sweet little animals

We had a Russian White dwarf hammy named Stouffers, but she passed away a few months ago sad.gif She was so much fun! So clumsy, lol. She knew her name and would stagger over to the cage door whenever we were by her cage, so we would have to let her out to play. We miss her a lot.

Our other dwarf is a Chinese little boy named Stove-top. Yes, like the stuffing, lol. (all of our rodents have had food names. Our mice were Lina for Michaelina, LC for Lean Cuisine, and Tid-bit.) Stove-Top knows his name too, but isn't as friendly as Stouffers was. He doesn't bite, but he would rather explore everywhere than stay in your hands.

After Stouffers died, I combined the two cages with lots of tubes, so that Stove-top has tonnes of room to explore. About once a month, I take them apart to clean and arrange them in different ways, to keep his mind at work. We also put him into a different cage, which we put on our end table, so that he can hang out with us.

When we still had both, Stouffers would bite the bars at night, and one night after I'd had enough, lol, I moved both cages and the tubes to a shelf in our kitchen. So now, the tubes are across the whole shelf and have spread to above the cupboards laugh.gif

Stouffers on the left, Stove-top on the right:

user posted image

His cages ('scuse the pizza boxes, lol. Also the tubes under the pizza boxes, loop around and join each before heading back)

user posted image

Edited by CDM

Hamsters are cute. When it comes to little furry pets, though I prefer hedgehogs and rats.

I used to have rats back when I was in high school. They were great, and so much fun to hang out with. Every weekend when the weather was nice, I would put them in my hoodie sweater and bike along the shore to the next town. They would just curl up and sleep, lol.

I would love to get a rat again, but we wouldn't be able to bring him/her out of her cage much, and we know how much they love that interaction sad.gif Our ACD, Tallan, would kill a rat instantly, if given the chance. I'm not worried about our three cats, but the dog, yes.

I had about 5 fancy mouses and one hamster, every single one of them had faces I couldn't say no to

Edited by junifire

I used to have gerbils for years. The first two I got when my mother's school (she's a teacher) wanted to get rid of theirs and gave them all away to students.

There were two no one would take - one was missing half of his tail, the other was missing a hind foot.

My mother felt sorry for them and brought them home for me. I loved them a lot and their missing body parts never seemed to bother them and they became rather old for gerbils.

I always had the impression that hamsters bite and are only awake when I'm asleep. Otherwise they're adorable.

i've owned Fancy Mice adn Guini Pigs, Rabbits and a Ferret but shied away form Gerbals and Hampsters because they bite. especially Teddy Bears.

have always wanted to own a Rat though, their great pets. my cat OTOH woudl only see lunch adn a large squeaky play toy.

i've owned Fancy Mice adn Guini Pigs, Rabbits and a Ferret but shied away form Gerbals and Hampsters because they bite. especially Teddy Bears.

have always wanted to own a Rat though, their great pets. my cat OTOH woudl only see lunch adn a large squeaky play toy.

If they're handled enough, and you don't grab them when they're asleep, hamsters shouldn't bite. Our little Dwarfie loves to be handled, and will often fall asleep in our hands, once he's done running around, lol. Our other Dwarfie (that passed away earlier this year,) also loved to be snuggled and would come running if you called her name.

I used to have full-size Hamsters when I was still in Public school and I was never bitten. I would make sure they were fully awake, though, before handling them, lol.