prairiecrow

The Bragging Thread!

This might seem like a weird thing to brag about, but I have to say I'm insanely lucky to have the kind of boyfriend that I have. Tomorrow I have to drive 1,5 hours to a meeting alone and I was really stressed about the drive there and then meeting all the new people. I was complaining about this to my boyfriend and he immediately told me that he can come with me!! He's on holiday already and doesn't have anything to do in the mornings, so he'll just come sit with me in car for 3 hours and also spend over an hour in a small town with nothing to do while I'm in the meeting. I'm so happy and not stressed at all anymore and I'm just so glad I have a person like this by my side!

That's wonderful @hedy! Long drives are so much easier when you aren't alone. 

I worked today! I didn't work at all last week, and only 1 of my normal 2 days the week before. Combination of returning depression and worrying about leaving my mom alone. But I did it, I worked today! And I didn't cry. Well okay, I cried a small bit right before leaving for work, but not while at work, and that's an accomplishment!

I'm proud of my skills of using words – mainly Finnish words, though. Writing is my thing and I also enjoy observing language and I think I've done quite well with my studies in Finnish language. It all comes almost naturally for me. Besides that, it was always easy for me to get good grades at school. I finished both primary and secondary schools with a grade point average of 10 (the best grade) on theoretical subjects and got good grades on other subjects as well. As child I was even told I was very artistic, too, but I haven't really been drawing for years so I wouldn't consider myself talented anymore as all skills require regular practice. I guess this all has to do with the fact that I'm disciplined and also inquisitive by nature. In contrast, I'm terrible in sewing or knitting and playing instruments or singing. Somehow I managed to get my nice grades at school but afterwards I've been happy for not having to try my best on something I just can't handle.

both my daughters have graduated this year! the older one from college, with a degree in film studies with minors in computer science and theater;  the younger one from high school, and she's getting ready to go to college in august to study history and psychology for her major and minor in theatre! :)

On 6/26/2019 at 6:41 PM, trystan said:

congrats, @Cottoncat!!

Thank you! :D I also managed to get an apartment (a shared one) so now I don't have to worry about that either.

I got a red ribbon/second place ribbon for a quilt I made.  :)  I'm exceptionally pleased since I just made it because I was inspired.  A couple of people even left their names and phone numbers to indicate their interest in possibly buying it.

I got a new job and a fun therapist who likes outdoor sessions and coffee shops and all that good stuff.

Got a letter from my university today. I made the dean's list because I did really well last semester. :D

53 minutes ago, Aqub said:

Got a letter from my university today. I made the dean's list because I did really well last semester. :D

(y) Congratulations!

Yassss, I finally got my book published! Sadly it looks a wee bit unprofessional because the live version has issues with UTF-8 combining characters that the previews Kindle Create showed me did not warn me about, so I'm going to have to see if I can get those fixed. But in theory I'm now published. XD ...gonna get in touch with amazon to see if anything can be done about this.

Edited by pinkgothic

On 6/28/2020 at 11:03 PM, pinkgothic said:

Yassss, I finally got my book published! Sadly it looks a wee bit unprofessional because the live version has issues with UTF-8 combining characters that the previews Kindle Create showed me did not warn me about, so I'm going to have to see if I can get those fixed. But in theory I'm now published. XD ...gonna get in touch with amazon to see if anything can be done about this.

OKAY, IT'S GOOD NOW. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BY6YPKT/ *mumble mutter mumble*

Gosh, what a milestone, though. \o/

Edit: ❤️ Thank you, WhisperingWillows!

Edited by pinkgothic

On 6/28/2020 at 5:03 PM, pinkgothic said:

Awesome! Any plans for a print version for those of us who don't have a Kindle?

On 7/2/2020 at 6:13 AM, PrincessLucy said:

Awesome! Any plans for a print version for those of us who don't have a Kindle?

❤️ Yes! Unfortunately this requires some additional work to make a PDF with pages that has the right dimensions and doesn't have totally weird line breaks - unfortunately they can't just magically print the Kindle manuscript! But I'll definitely get around to it, possibly even this weekend (it's at least my plan, but I might need to recover first). :D That said, there's also the Cloud Reader app of amazon, one doesn't actually need a Kindle to read Kindle eBooks (somewhat ironically). But a print version is far superior to having to read on Cloud Reader, so I'll definitely work on it. ^_^

Edit @ 2020-07-04: I got really far with this today (Saturday, 4th of July), but it took me eight hours of work and it's now six in the morning, go figure. I don't think this is the right time of day to hit the "OK, YES, PUBLISH THIS" button. I should review this carefully first. XD

Edit @ 2020-07-11: I unfortunately ran into some serious issues with the PDF export (including some rounds with Amazon support trying to figure out what was wrong with the export) and had to redo all of my work to... maybe have something now (Saturday, 11th of July)? I will look into publishing it in the week.

Fair warning: Sadly, it is so many pages that I can't actually afford to keep the price between Kindle and print the same! And since once you go over 10 $(currency), royalty (which needs to pay for print) drops to half, it's sadly going to have to have a steep price - something like 30 bucks or so - so I don't literally lose money each time someone buy it. 😕 But that's still bound to be better than not having it! :) I'll keep this thread updated!

Edit @ 2020-07-13: Paperback: IN REVIEW. We'll see what happens.

Edit @ 2020-07-15: Ordered a copy of my paperback! Would like to physically see what it's like before I start telling people to buy it. :P If I change anything, I will most likely end up adjusting the cover, the spine in particular - the WYSIWYG wizard Amazon offers has a bug in it that means my author name is presumably kind of in an awkward place on the spine right now. Not a deal-breaker, but not super great, either.

Edited by pinkgothic

...I think it's okay to post again to say that I now have a physical copy of my book. \o/ ...it's many pages. I mean, I knew it was many pages, but having a physical book with that many pages is quite something. The font size turned out nicely, the margins really ought to be a little bit larger (but it's not so terrible as that I want to pour another four hours into realigning the pages for different margins) and the spine of the cover is not fantastic by any measure, but it isn't an eyesore and it looks like printing idiosyncracies will likely mock my attempts to smooth things out anyway (there is a tiny bit of skew on the title page, which is definitely not in the preview), so I'm going to exhaustedly call this done. ❤️

Thanks for bearing with me.

(If anyone for some reason wants a copy but doesn't have moolah or doesn't want to spend moolah, let me know.)

thread-printed-cover.jpg

thread-printed-interior.jpg

Edited by pinkgothic

22 hours ago, WarEagle1996 said:

I'm alive

Definitely a good thing to be able to brag about these days! :D

I don’t really have IRL accomplishments and I wouldn’t talk about them here but I do wanna brag that I have epic dragons in both DC and Flightrising. Sure their worth in veterans eyes are nothing but to me, I got some pretty dragons. Also I’m a determined person by nature thats something i’m proud of

This is probably going to sound weird, but.... Today I washed my hair by myself for the first time in about two years. 

My anxiety is sky-high when it comes to anything involving showering/washing, long story short I always need someone to help me with my hair so I either just get my hair washed at the salon or lean over the sink while my mom helps me. Even then I don't do it nearly often enough because no matter how it's done there is *always* crying involved. Recently I ordered a shampoo bar from a soap company I enjoy, and when I received it in the mail today I decided why not just give it a try. It was a non-shower wash, but it was a wash, and I have clean nice-smelling hair and there were no tears. I can't even explain how Big this is to me. 

Not sure if this counts but a friend and me are dabbling in fashion design.

We made this dress. Inspired by those 50ies Disco/Dancing dresses with the figure hugging bodice and really swinging skirts.

Seam is still WiP and we are going to add a pink ribbon where skirt an bodice meet so that it will be tight on the waist.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 5.34.28 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 5.34.28 PM.jpeg