prairiecrow

The Bragging Thread!

@Marie19R I work for an ophthalmologist who does a lot of cataract surgeries and I have seen a huge difference in mood in patients prior to and following the surgeries. Glad your mom is doing well and congratulations on your 10 year workiversary!

I don't really have anything to brag about. I started nursing school this fall and it's been hectic so far but I'm glad I'm finally on the right path career-wise. I took a long time figuring out what I wanted to do and to be honest, I used to be very lazy and unmotivated. Now I finally feel like I'm becoming someone I can be proud of.

@innate Figuring out where you want to go with a career and being able to feel proud of yourself are definitely things to brag about! Especially taking the initiative to tackle nursing school when you used to be fairly unmotivated, that's an awesome accomplishment.

I passed final test for National Technical Qualification Certificate! Hooray!

I issued that right after checking test result.

Edited by sh20000sh

Caught a cb liver copper like literally 3 seconds before the site went down for daily 3am maintenance. ^-^

Side note. I used to never catch coppers even though I occasionally saw them. Ever since the mozilla update my internet has been way faster for some reason. DC loads really nice and fast and I keep managing to catch some awesome stuff. This is a first for me for years....

I was a valedictorian. Well, that's from more than 2 years ago. Not much has happened since. I do pretty well in my current classes aside from procrastinating, so that's something.

WHO'S THAT COMING DOWN THE TRACK?

(who's that coming down the track?)

IT'S THE MEAN MACHINE IN RED AND BLACK

(it's the mean machine in red and black)

AIN'T NOTHIN' FINER IN THE LAND

(ain't nothin' finer in the land)

THAN A DRUNK, OBNOXIOUS GEORGIA FAN!

(than a drunk obnoxious Georgia fan)

GO DAWGS!

(go dawgs)

GO DAWGS!

(GO DAWGS)

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DAWGS! SIC 'EM! WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF

UGA IS THE SEC CHAMPION! We're comin' for you, ...whoever we play next. I LOVE MY SCHOOL SO MUCH! IT'S GREAT TO BE A GEORGIA BULLDAWG!

At 2am this morning I *finally* finished reading/betaing the 307-page novel my friend wrote! I was nearly falling asleep at the keyboard by the time I emailed it back to her, but I did it! And on time, too! (And I really hope she's successful in publishing it because this *needs* to be read by lots of people it's totally awesome!)

Repaired a console controller that had severely corroded spring terminals to the point one of them had snapped off, the coil having stuck to the casing. Had to desolder the intact but rusty spring and what was left of the other spring before replacing it with new ones. I didn't even realise I had the repaired controller when I was reformatting the console; I'm surprised it works considering I've never done anything like that before! Seems stupidly simple, but I imagine replacing more delicate parts would have been a different story. Solder sets up so quickly after removing the iron, had to keep the iron on the board until I'd either removed or placed the spring in the right spot. Yay for using a soldering iron for it's intended purpose and not just poking holes in plastic. :D

Wednesday at work all my co-workers gathered to congratulate me on my 10-year work anniversary, and gave me a beautiful 10-year pin for my badge! I remember putting those pins into their little pouches to be passed out years ago, I'd never thought I'd actually be there long enough to get one myself.

Also, my stepdad is in town visiting us, got here Thursday (leaves tomorrow, boo). He has taken us to the movies and out to eat multiple times already, including to the most expensive steakhouse in town that we would never be able to afford ourselves.

My grades were on point this semester. Out of a possible perfect 10 grade average, I obtained a 9.9

Not bad, and I'm happy my effort has paid of well. It was a very difficult semester for me regarding my personal life, so I am indeed proud.

Bred an egg on christmas eve and got an egg with something very close to a christmas code. If you try to say it though it does sound like x-mas, which I'm seen people use short for christmas.  :D

(aXMss)

I am elated!

Why?

Because I managed to acquire a mannequin - something I have been wanting for my display room for quite some time. I work in hte mall and I have seen them being disposed of before, this time,I found one that was complete -  just a little scuffed up. Arms, Legs, Stand (no head) but fits my Starscream garments wonderfully. The room was a mess when I took this picture last night. I'm cleaning it up now. I put a tank top on her, and little red socks. - She is wearing a pair of Starscream boxer shorts. I am so fraggin happy!

man-1.jpg

Passed another semester of college with all A's. Couldn't be more relieved.

This may be a small thing for some, but to me it's worth bragging about! On our last grocery store trip my favorite ice cream *and* my favorite frozen chicken, both of which are usually just a tad too expensive for me to get more then once a month or so, were drastically on sale. The chicken cost *half* what it usually does! I now have enough frozen chicken for at least 3 weeks, and two pints of my favorite chocolate fudge brownie ice cream!

The Dawgs are heading to the National Championship! What a time to be alive! 

I'm getting married to the man I've spent the past almost 10 years with, in 4 weeks, the day after our 10th year anniversary. We've been together since we were 15.
It's going to be small, and cheap and i'm going to hate every second of the reception/meal but I'm so glad we're finally doing it.

I have to bump this thread because omg omg omg! I got a comment on my blog from the *author* of one of my all-time favorite YA books!! A blog I follow had asked for book recommendations, I commented recommending that book along with a few others, and suddenly today I get this comment from the author! 

e0f62882480ab5cd0b07718ecd382035.png

4 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I have to bump this thread because omg omg omg! I got a comment on my blog from the *author* of one of my all-time favorite YA books!! A blog I follow had asked for book recommendations, I commented recommending that book along with a few others, and suddenly today I get this comment from the author! 

I just realised the Congrats Thread is in the Site Discussions rather than General Discussions, oh well, congrats :)

I voted in the midterm elections last weekend... not all that big but I'm really excited about it because I've been looking forward to being old enough to vote for years! :D

Content Warning: Suicide Mention

Took me this long to accept this, but I realized yesterday that I have actually managed to overcome whatever it was I was going through in junior high.  I don't know what it was exactly, whether it was just a phase or a legitimate issue with something since I didn't have typical 'suicidal thoughts' (I contemplated suicide at some point, but I don't think I was actually ever serious since I had this strong belief that death was the end of everything and would cause more problems than it was worth.  I essentially forced myself to look for another alternative that was better, which is actually a really good thing).  I only acknowledge it as a bad phase in life, but it could have also be me being a hormonal teen.  I'll quote from this youtube comment I made yesterday on this song if you're interested.

Ok, after hearing this song and singing along for the first time again in many years, I feel the need to elaborate a little. I wasn't very happy in junior high and I actually thought through suicide (probably a few times) though I'm still not sure whether I actually ever seriously considered it since it was always an automatic 'no' reaction from virtually every part of my body. One time, my mom was yelling at me again for spending too long in the bathroom and I ended up locking myself in the bathroom and crying for about an hour. I use music to calm myself down and I played this song (with the lyric video) and I remember everything resonating with me so well. I felt like a broken reflection of myself and all I wanted to do was to step into the abyss and to disappear forever. But I couldn't do it. I had this other voice in my head telling me that I was already there. I was sinking in the abyss and that I would hit the bottom if I made one. Either I could curl up and die or I could light my way through and try to break free. I think I was literally visualising myself in some sort of cage while another version of me was wildly shaking the bars and telling me to get the **** out and stop being a useless pos. Eventually, part of me decided **** it, if I've hit the bottom, there's nowhere to go but up. I can either be useless and end my existence, or be somewhat proactive and at least give it one last try. If it didn't work? Well, that would be nothing new, but I'd probably confirm my 'worthlessness'. I signed up for this school talent show thing for singing (I used to be good at it and I probably still am, but the best microphone I have is the thing built into the laptop which makes me sound awful and cuts my voice out oddly). I took a leap of faith and spiraled further into the darkness, but I kept my spark alive and I managed to light my own way. I know my story sounds SO cheesy and kind of dumb looking back now, but its what happened and I have begun to embrace it. It's been four years since this happened and the fact that I can still remember the lyrics to all these songs probably says a whole lot about how important they were to me then, and even now. Heck, I bet if I listen to this 50 years from now, I'll still be brought back to how miserable I was in junior high and how much these lyrics resonated with me then. The song seems kind of childish now, but I can definitely still feel it calling to me in a profound and inexplicable way. They still resonate with me and I can still sing the words with the emotions I felt back then.

Revisiting my past rather than just mentioning it in passing is a little hard (partly due to the cringe factor and how dumb this seems in retrospect), but I guess it's something I need to do occasionally in order to remember.  I haven't experienced any significant 'dark episodes' where I return to that train of thought that berates me, which is definitely a sign of success for me.  I ended up writing a concurrent poem to one I wrote a while ago because I felt that the old one no longer reflected my current state.

Old poem

New poem

I mean, they're cheesy, but whatever.

Edited by hazeh
added content warning

Well, for New Year's my girlfriend proposed to me at midnight surrounded by a huge group of our friends in our brand new house, so now I have a fiancee! :D I'm so incredibly overwhelmed with joy!

Omg that's wonderful @hazeh!! Congratulations! 

Very tiny thing compared to that big news, but something I'm just kinda proud of and wanting to brag.... Went to the grocery store for a 'buy 5 save $5' sale, the items I wanted were further reduced in price due to soon-ish expiration dates, I ended up getting 5 meals worth of food for $1.30! I just always feel a little proud when I'm able to do something like that, makes me feel 'adult-ish'. 

I just made a call to the job I applied to and I'm so proud of myself because I absolutely hate making phone calls and talking on the phone and it went super well! The person in charge of the recruitment was very nice and sounded interested in me and told me more about the project. Fingers crossed for next week when they send out invitations the actual interviews!'

edit. Another thing to brag about, I actually got the job!!!! I was sure I blew my interview, but they called me yesterday and told me I was the second best candidate. Their first choice can start working only in August, so they asked me if I could work with them until that! I'm so excited and a bit scared, because I'm so inexperienced, but hopefully everything works out fine. I also made myself a promise that if I get the job, I can buy a heap of new clothes since most of my old ones are really old and not very stylish, so yay, shopping!

Edited by hedy

I just got an internship as a junior game programmer in the exact city I've been aiming to work in for the last 3 years! It has great public transport and an easy access to the railroad which allows me to see my family and relatives easily on weekends if I so desire. Best thing is that they also expressed interest in keeping me after training as that'd be the most beneficial for their growing company. This is great news, because it means that as long as I can perfom satisfactorily at work I may be able to secure a more permanent job in the company and make it safe enough for my boyfriend of 3 years to finally move to Finland. Needless to say, I'm freaking hyped! So glad that I was given the opportunity of the interview that led to this. To have an actual opportunity to work in game development after studying it for 3 years... I cannot even fathom how happy I am right now. It's a total shock, but one of a good kind.