Skypool

Which Type of Character Do You Seem to Favor?

Which one? Read below for more clarification.  

434 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would say characters that are well-structured, with a tint of "evil" if possible. I do not like black and white contrasts in characters, in the sense of being purely good or purely bad. Characters that depict the struggle of the battle of good and evil within themselves, and that are also capable of showing the continuously perplexing, ever-shifting depth of the human psyche are my most definite favorites. Briefly speaking, characters who are real, raw and complex, be it intellectual or emotionally speaking. If I could go with a few other character traits, I tend to root quite strongly for fighters, not purely in the physical sense, but in what they do. Those who are strong enough to face their fears have a special place in my heart as well.

I finally noticed that several of my favorite characters are bookworms or scholars of some sort. But then the other half of the equation there is that they're friendly, or at least try to be helpful, or just, well, kind. Bonus points for humor.

So... Nice bookworm type, in general. But I also like the more... Freelancing type. The people who don't conform to an archetype or whatever and just be themselves.

Having a sad backstory helps too... Apparently I like some angst in my characters. O_o

I like characters who are sarcastic and act like they don't like other people, but really they're just insecure and sad.

I must admit that I often like the cocky, arrogant, self-assured types. I find them highly amusing.

Vegeta (Dragonball Z)

Sasuke (Naruto)

Spike (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

Hiei (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Damon (Vampire Diaries)

Gambit (X-Men)

Zevran (Dragon Age Origins)

It really depends on what the situation calls for. I wouldn't much enjoy a prankster type in a silent journey setting, for instance. And I wouldn't appreciate a stoic emotionless easter isle head in a comedic scenario.

Ngl in every game or other I find myself instantly attracted to the mysterious character, which I'm surprised isn't on the list because that's an overdone trope. The one who appears, guns/swords ablazing, utters a short dramatic one-liner and disappears in a hurry before you can question them. And they're just interesting enough to keep in mind but not so much as to make you deviate from your original quest. Or they could be.

But frankly I can encapsulate the entire or almost the entire list with one person; Tony Stark. The cinemaverse one.

I read a lot of medevial time period books, and my personal favorite type of character is the lawful evil, honor bound duelist. It's a common archetype, but when executed correctly you get a villain that doesn't just feel like a mindless killing machine, but functions more like a paragon with an orange/green sense of morality.

I LOVE characters with a few screws loose, eccentric, whatever term you prefer. Handled well, it can be very relatable/sympathetic.

Personally, a lot of a character's merit to me comes from their subtle idiosyncrasies. While I ADORE a good villain and desperately enjoy a well played, original genius character (And a certain cannibal is both of those wink.gif), ultimately I can't really put a label on it. I guess what I most like is a sense of self: where the character needs to learn to accept something or needs a revolution point. I like watching a tortured character overcome their demons or passionate character learn the balance between morals and action.

I know that's not much of an answer so I'll call it this, if I must:

I like a Layered Character

Complex, dynamic, unpredictable, real: call it what you will, that is what I like smile.gif

Usually the one I am positioned to like that everyone likes tongue.gif haha.

Quite often, I find myself drawn to insane characters or villains. They're always more fun happy.gif

I also like characters that have so many possible layers - but are not really thoroughly explained. Because I like to theorise on what made them how they are, ect.

Take my favorite character from Harry Potter, Bellatrix Lestrange, for example >.>

we all know she's evil and insane, even before she was locked up in Azkaban, but her past isn't really touched upon other than her pureblood upbringing. But was she born insane, or made insane, and if so how?

It's fun to explore a characters psyche, when it isn't 100% explained, it gets you thinking and can really make you relate to a character more, in some ways.

Like Harry himself, we 100% know his backstory, he lost his parents, was took in by his abusive and uncaring relatives, so he was made angsty and angry at a lot of things. He was, because of his story, kind of forced into being heroic, and thus it became a main character trait, so we know the reasons for his psyche. And whilst he can still be a likeable character, in my own opinion, knowing literally everything about him kind of makes me think of him as a less relatable character.

Anyone else ever feel like that?

The lovable outcast! Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter, Raven from Teen Titans, Johanna from The Hunger Games, etc.

I guess I'm torn between motherly and cute. I used to really like the troublemaker, but I've gotten weary of that archetype.

I like the cute, nerdy characters (pidge and mei, for example), the loud, kinda annoying, sometimes villainous ones (like guzma for the villainous+loud and memoca for everything except villainous lololol) and characters who try to be serious but are actually just dorks (like zen)

I love complex characters that tend towards the 'few screws loose' kind of personality, even more so if they have a neutral or dark morality.

Funny how my taste in characters has changed so much since I began working on my own story - all six leads of which somehow managed to line themselves up with what I mentioned above.

Unfortunately that also means I have a harder time enjoying works with simpler characters.