Skypool

Which Type of Character Do You Seem to Favor?

Which one? Read below for more clarification.  

434 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It really depends for me. I love a character that displays a lot of emotion and has a significant amount of personal growth throughout a series, but beyond that it can really be any type. In general I tend to prefer more humble characters over the arrogant ones, but there are a few examples where an arrogant character has won me over, especially if they're dynamic enough to show that isn't all there is to them by the end of the book/movie/series/game.

I'm quite an avid gamer, so the silent protagonist, if executed properly, is a long-time favorite... though I also think characters such as the cast of Team Fortress 2 are absolutely hilarious despite most of them being beyond arrogant and honestly quite cruel to one another most of the time. It just works for that game, and that's ultimately what it boils down to for most characters. A character with an interesting personality who suits his or her environment well is always going to be fun to read, watch, or play.

When it comes to my own writing, I tend to prefer writing the quiet, but confident type as my main leads and a wide variety for supporting characters, so I understand the dynamic between different character types quite well and it really bothers me to see a poorly written or delivered dialogue between two characters, regardless of their personality type.

Characters are hard for me. It's really difficult for me to actually like a character; especially female characters. I judge them too much. It really depends, y'know? I like villans with a scarring backstory xd.png yeah.

When I'm building a character for my stories, I usually like to work with the theme of a human who has become what society would deem a "monster," such as a werewolf or a twisted mutation, but keeping their mind and personality from before. So, in a sense, they are still themselves, just trapped as a monster. They have to deal with the repercussions of their change and coming back to their lives in a different form, including telling their families and friends. It can get complicated in a hurry xd.png

Outside of my stories, I like the self-doubting guy who ends up being the hero. Just a character who can prove they are capable of being something other than what they are, I guess.

I would tend to say Villain, but I absolutely adore my Anti-heroes. The characters that are favorites of mine are the Villains who started out being attractive, intelligent young people and then were either taken over by some dark outside force or were involved in some horrible mass murder that drives them off the edge. They still have to have human emotions and do their killing (they always like to kill people) for a reason. They can also be touched by certain people who bring back memories of the past and are usually trying their best to be normal again in some way, even if they now kill people out of habit and enjoyment.

Prankster characters are also a favorite of mine. If they are Suave and get on other's nerves easily by plucking some chords, even better. I just really love the rogue stereotype or eccentric billionaire. *will stop rambling now*

Cocky, bold, awesome characters like Dante are probably the ones I can do the best.

Respectable women are a favorite of mine too. Like Saber from Fate/Stay Night. Hmmm.... and cold, calculating characters like Vergil from Devil May Cry! And I have a thing for robot girls too... Big sister mentors and just all around cute characters like Mami and Madoka are awesome too!

Also Naoto Shirogane like characters.

Edited by SaberLily

I like a mixture of funny, cheeky, a little arrogant and conceited, with a drop of naïveté.

Of course, when I throw these things together, I get Thomas the Tank Engine. Take of that what you will.

Other, I tend to make my characters BAMFs by the end of the story I plan for them... They are snarky and powerful and manipulative.

And then I kill them off as story end. Of course, there is this whole reincarnation thing I have going on with them as well, but still...

Edited by WhatDoesn'tKillYa

I tend to like a lot of characters but well, the most people I inclined to are... More complex. A person who's confuse with life and throughout his/ her life finds his/her meaning in life- his/her destiny. That's why I love Zuko, Snape so much. Yup, more on complex characters. To be honest, I voted null in the poll because I don't think they fall in any category.

I usually like either the snarkiest character, or the cute sidekick, or whoever's backstory/personality/situation I end up pondering the most. Especially the latter. But even then, if I don't like them for another reason, (ex: is manipulative controlling censorkip.gif or an oblivious idiot to the point of hurting everybody around them,) then that point is moot.

(You have no idea how long I have tried to figure how a freaking toddler survived alone on an island with nothing but a magical dog until she was thirteen, and wondered why nobody ever questioned the fact she had conversations, no, arguments, with her grandfather, who she taxidermied herself. There's a reason her alternate self had a hysterical breakdown.)

So yeah some of my favorite characters are Phoenix Wright and Maya Fey from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, (and Dick Gumshoe and Kay Faraday from Investigations,) Jade Harley from Homestuck, (also Dave and Rose and John, just-beta babies forever <3), and Abby from NCIS, but I'm not a huge fan of Patrick Jane from the Mentalist (I just love that plot tho,) and Dirk Strider of Homestuck fame.

In two stories I'm writing closely tied together, one main character is deadpan, prideful, self-serving and jaded, while the other is ambitious, headstrong, eager to please and a stickler for the lawful good side, at least at first.

Don't really have a favourite type.

You can have two characters with similar personalities, but I could like one of them and hate the other to the point that I wish they would get killed off soon. Lots of other factors come into it.

However if I had to choose, I'd go for the type that is already strong at the beginning, but does not flaunt his strength just for the sake of it.

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy the seductress type female character every now and then....

As cliche as they are, I really like tsunderes. Oh god please don't kill me.

i didn't really realize it until my friend pointed it out but i love the cute & creepy mix u//v//u

especially when they're mixed together in one character, like yanderes!!

the philosphical type/sombre type also interest me because they're able to dissect the characters, their own selves and plot, and make me think a little deeper.

I've picked nerdy/smart because I like intelligent characters, though they don't have to be nerdy. The quiet type is also near the top of my list.

When it comes to types it really all depends on who I find the most interesting in the story. If the villain is more interesting than the main character and such. It also depends on what gender. What kind of female characters I empathize or idolize and what male characters I find attractive and or fun.

From the listed types in the poll I usually gravitate towards when Male:

The Mischievous/Prankster Type (Though usually of the morbid flavor)

The Villainous Type

(Evil Is Sexy)

The Sweet/Innocent Type

(For main characters)

The Artistic/Creative Type

(Gotta love those crazy artists)

The Cocky/Arrogant/Self-Conceited Type

(So long as they got a damn good reason to be cocky)

The Bad Boy Type

(Ah yes.~)

Other:

I like the all knowing cheshire cat grin wearing, devil may care attitude, chess master, sadistically seductive types. Just something about them.~

Child like idiotic genius with a tendency to be ax crazy.

Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass characters are AWESOME! xd.png

Also have to show some love for those Magnificent censorkip.gif*** characters. Those diabolical sexy selfish master minds who'll at the drop of a hat decide to help you to brass off someone else and be polite while screwing you over. Don't hate the playa, hate the game.~

Now in female characters:

A quirky optimistic hilariously innocent wild card character.

Or an outgoing morbid foul mouthed comical bold somewhat motherly type.

Always a plus if a character is a pyromaniac.~

There are a few other types but I can't think of them at the moment.

I voted for the philosophical type, because their character is deeper and even when it's a philosophical villain, they offer reasons for their behaviour.

I love being the bad boy kinda character.

I have other persona but this is the most common considering I write about what I know;)

I like the tough ones that either have a sorta kind side.

I voted for Prankster, they entertain me and I enjoy the second hand experience because that's very far from my own character.

I notice however, that I like characters who are in sync with their emotions. When someone's behaviour doesn't make any sense to me, I don't take them very seriously. I'm not judging their behaviour, it doesn't matter what character type they are, just that their character, emotions and actions have to fit together. I also hate, when in TV shows people pop up in later seasons again and their character has completely changed just to move the plot along. That's one of my biggest complaints about TV shows.

I voted for "The Depressed/Horrible Outlook on Life Type", but it's sorta different then that.

I tend to gravitate towards the "tortured soul" type, the character who's had a messed up past, messed up life, maybe traumatic events, and those things come back to haunt them every so often.

I guess this type of character might also fall under "cocky/arrogant" and "emotionless" because they often try to hide how they really feel.

..... That's in general. Certain shows break that "type" for me (ie, throughout Buffy I always favored the Villainous type)

Man oh man every time I come back here my opinion has changed! Where's the "boring but good hero" on the poll? =( I like a lot of them. I always have a bias towards the self-absorbed little pills, but for all the others, it depends on how they're portrayed. Just going through some of my favourites off the top of my head, I've got a crazy, self-absorbed artist, a cocky/arrogant type, a good-but-boring hero type, a mischievous/prankster type, and a depressed/horrible outlook on life type.

Edit: Also, I am rapidly feeling like the only one here who is not automatically rooting for the villain. =( I like good guys.

Edited by Zovesta

Personally, I have a soft spot for more complex,unpredictable characters that you can't really be sure if they're a hero or villain, as they're always switching sides.(like Kisshu from Tokyo Mew Mew;don't kill me, please).

My favorite type of characters are certainly the ones who tend to snark others for fun, or have quite the big head. Mischievous and/or sarcastic characters, pranksters, egomaniacs, ect., are all usually at the top of my list.