Rosedamai

Prostitution

which made me wonder if modern capitalism, when coupled with severe misogyny, is necessarily a good thing.

No worse than any other economic system coupled with severe misogyny, I'd think, since severe misogyny is the problem, not the economic system.

What I mind is women who don't have the sense to charge for sex if they're not with a husband or fiance or really serious boyfriend (obviously the sec there is for love/procreation/entertainment with a not-random person). That is what makes no sense to me. :| If you're going to risk pregnancy and disease from random people, it makes sense to charge....

What about friends with benefits? There's a lot of space between "serious sig other" and "random stranger". What about people who might want to date or get serious and have sex?

I am honestly curious about the sex work industry and would totally consider it as a job until I get my career started. I'm a broke ass college kid, I need money, and I probably won't have a source of income right after graduating. I like sex*. I know (in my experience, at least**) that it makes people happy. I see it like any other kind of performer or entertainer work.

*OH LAWDY I'M SUCH A WANTON censorkip.gif!

**My experience being two partners in about 3 years.

Edited by NixAyum

I am honestly curious about the sex work industry and would totally consider it as a job until I get my career started.

Here's a blog from a former sex worker. https://maggiemcneill.wordpress.com/ I've read a little bit of it, looks like an interesting POV. (I seriously run into the most interesting things reading libertarian blawwgs. One day I'm on atheist blogs, the next I'm on Christian blogs, the next feminist blogs, then gun blogs, and the next I'm on ex-hooker blogs...)

Edited by Princess Artemis

What about friends with benefits? There's a lot of space between "serious sig other" and "random stranger". What about people who might want to date or get serious and have sex?

I am honestly curious about the sex work industry and would totally consider it as a job until I get my career started. I'm a broke ass college kid, I need money, and I probably won't have a source of income right after graduating. I like sex*. I know (in my experience, at least**) that it makes people happy. I see it like any other kind of performer or entertainer work.

*OH LAWDY I'M SUCH A WANTON censorkip.gif!

**My experience being two partners in about 3 years.

Nix, I don't mean to berate you for your views, but have you considered the risks of choosing something like that? o.o

And as long as men are willing to pay for it...

Uh, and women too, thank you.

There again, if people woould go to church and read the bible and try to be better people and do the right thing, this world would not be in the shape it is today.

I think I've done pretty well without. Reading the Bible =/= make you a good person.

Edited by Kestra15

Nix, I don't mean to berate you for your views, but have you considered the risks of choosing something like that? o.o

In any job you get are some risks, so no job on the world is 100% safe. If you were thinkinf about STS and other sicknesses they can be avoided by going to the doctor regularly and with use of condoms, and you can get sick at home to when you fall in love with your next door neighbour, you dont know if he is sick or not. And for other risks, you can avoid them if you act at home on webcam with your beloved or on your own, and you are still a sex actor, but not a profesional.

I realize there are risks unique to sex work, especially since I'm not on the pill or any kind of bc right now. I would probably go on something if I ever got into the field. But just like almost any job there are risks and ways to avoid them (I've already gotten myself cut and burned a little at my current job lol). I would imagine that however it works, as long as it's legit and regulated the workers would have required tests and proper safety measures were taken, but like I said, I haven't done my research and don't know for sure.

To Artemis: thanks for the link! Going to try to read some before work today.

Like for instance, is it ok to have more than one wife or husband?

Uh, excuse me? Really? And you are going from prostitution to plural marriage based on what? You keep talking about the Bible, but guess, what, it's in there. Every patriarch God spoke to in the Bible had multiple wives except Noah and Joseph, including David, who was called a man after God's own heart. I'm an atheist and I know that.

Now, on topic:

1. Is it legal in your country/state/province?

No.

2. If it is illegal, is that really enforced or is it operating in the black market?

The US has an extensive black market.

3. What are your personal perceptions and/or public perceptions of sex workers?

I attempt not to have any. There are people there because they have no other option, and there are people there who feel empowered by it, and there are people there who do it because they like it. There are also people forced to do it. It's just like anything else in that regard.

4. Should they be allowed to enjoy the full rights as any other laborer?

In my opinion, prostitution should be legal and monitored to better protect everyone involved. Oversight means a better, more precise crackdown on human trafficking, and ensures that victims are treated like victims. It also helps draw the line between victims and sex workers, and should help minimise risk of STDs with proper testing.

Personally -- prostitution never really enters my mind except in debates or when it's on the television. I'm incapable of being attracted to strangers, so it's not something I'd even be capable of considering.

Don't believe this site has been posted yet.

Click

Has plenty of information, statistics, and alike.

Just thought I'd put it up.

I'm all for legalizing it. Then it can be taxed and the women involved can be given benefits and protected. We could mandate STD screenings and we could actually stop the spread of communicable diseases.

Who knows, maybe it would stop sex trafficking? Granted I know little to nothing about sex trafficking, so...

I'm all for legalizing it. Then it can be taxed and the women involved can be given benefits and protected. We could mandate STD screenings and we could actually stop the spread of communicable diseases.

This could totally work. Somewhere, I learned that in places that are open about sex, they have a lower teen pregnancy rate, and abortion rate. The less forbidden it is, the better (sometimes).

Edited by Dauntingale

what goes on in a bedroom, should stay in a bedroom.

unless abuse or force was used.

I'll all for legalizing it because it would make it easier to combat the spread of diseases

did anyone else hear about the monkeys that were taught the value of sea shells as money?

one monkey who had a shell, went over to a monkey who didn't and traded it for sex, the monkey who was given the shell then turned it over to a human care taker for a grape

who's to say humans are the only species who use sex as currency?

did anyone else hear about the monkeys that were taught the value of sea shells as money?

one monkey who had a shell, went over to a monkey who didn't and traded it for sex, the monkey who was given the shell then turned it over to a human care taker for a grape

who's to say humans are the only species who use sex as currency?

Er, do you have a link to this? O_o I'd like to read about that.

I don't partake in it from either side, so I really can't say I have the right to formulate to dense of an opinion. But I hear a lot of people say it should be treated as a trade like it used to be. The only problem there is an STD outbreak, possible AID's or HIV strain spreading, etc.. Lots of risks involved.

I dunno. wink.gif

It's not something I could see myself participating in but if it helps lower stds, abortions and other things I guess it's a good thing? I wouldnt want to ever date a girl who would lower herself to that level. A matter of opinion I guess. That type of interaction is outside the social norms. I personally wouldn't judge a girl for doing what she had to do to get by but I also wouldn't want to see a girl I loved sleeping around.

Edited by renton

The only problem there is an STD outbreak, possible AID's or HIV strain spreading, etc..

Not necessarily. If it was treated as a proper trade and had regulations and such--such as required regular screenings for STIs/STDs, especially of those screenings were provided free of charge or at a reduced rate for workers in the industry--then that would be considerably less of a risk.

Er, do you have a link to this? O_o I'd like to read about that.

There's a Cracked.com article that has it listed as number 1 on the list. In that instance, it was silver discs. One of the monkies tossed all the "coins" into the area where the other monies were, and during the chaos when they tried to get them and the researches tried to get the "coins" back, one was witnessed giving a silver disc to a female in exchange for sex, and the female proceeded to use it to get a grape from a researcher.

Of course, it's a humor website an the links they used are out of date, and I can't find the study or other links relating to it...

It's called "6 Things You Won't Believe Animals Do Just Like Us"--I won't link it because I don't feel like going through and making sure the article doesn't have anything too bad in it or the comments aren't terrible.

Edited by KageSora

It's illegal where I live. I think the laws are pretty well enforced - the prostitutes around here don't dress at all like prostitutes. They dress very conservatively and make themselves known by word of mouth, which makes me think the penalties are probably pretty high. The only reason I know is because my mom told me, after some guy mistook me for a prostitute. o_o

How do I feel about it? I don't really know. I have nothing against prostitutes, mostly I just feel bad for them. My main issue is with the people who go to them. With prostitution being illegal I feel like the majority of women who do it are doing it out of desperation, and it just seems like going to such a prostitute is taking advantage of her and shaming her. I know she's doing it because she needs those customers' money, but still. :| And don't get me started on married people who go to prostitutes. Just...don't get me started.

I don't think prostitution should be illegal, though. Having it against the law makes prostitution highly unsafe, because it makes it hard for prostitutes to report any crimes committed against themselves (did you know that truck stop prostitutes are sometimes drugged and kidnapped, and driven thousands of miles from where they live by the trucker who kidnapped them? Yeah, it's scary). Also, from what I've heard, also makes them less likely to go for routine STD screenings for fear of getting caught.

There are a lot of kids playing this. Theres no real age limit so anyone could stumble here thinking "what does this mean Ill click it" and that wouldnt be good. Im a kid to. I simply have read lots of different dictionarys. I think this should be removed not just locked.

And thats a fascinating sounding monkey story.

Since the thread hasn't been locked yet, I'm going to assume that the mods are okay with this.

Also... this is a PG-13 forum. By 13, most of us have at least heard of prostitution. There are younger kids on here, but their parents are (or should be) monitoring them.

No. We aren't discussing, say, our personal experiences with prostitutes, or their price, or stuff like that. This is a general sex trafficking (a horrible, terrible practice) and legalization thread. I'm sorry but if you don't know about human trafficking or why legalizing certain practices is needed, then I'd suggest that it's YOU that has issues with this, not younger players. Even younger players can know that human trafficking does have serious consequences. And as St.Jimmy said, they are-and should be-under parent supervision.

I read Memiors of a Geisha, and it was a great book and movie, is all I have to say, really. It's interesting to me.

If I were Sayuri, that'd be awesome, and not for the sex.

I read Memiors of a Geisha, and it was a great book and movie, is all I have to say, really. It's interesting to me.

If I were Sayuri, that'd be awesome, and not for the sex.

Uh, you do know that the book is flawed in a lot of places-geishas actually don't sell sex. Those were called oirans. Geishas are basically artisans talented at many different types of art. I do know that it's confusing, but that book's depiction isn't helping anything.

Differences between a Geisha and an oiran-geishas have a more simple kimono, with the obi(the huge knot thing in the middle) tied at the back. If there's a woman with the obi tied at the back but with lots of patterns and pretty adornments in her hair, she's a maiko, an apprentice geisha. Oirans have the obi tied at the front, and their outfit is a lot more fancy than those of a geisha.

And geishas can get married. They just retire.

@Princess Artemis-that law is horrible, sorry for being late. What happened? Did it pass?

Edited by ylangylang

This is a general sex trafficking (a horrible, terrible practice) and legalization thread. I'm sorry but if you don't know about human trafficking or why legalizing certain practices is needed, then I'd suggest that it's YOU that has issues with this, not younger players. Even younger players can know that human trafficking does have serious consequences. And as St.Jimmy said, they are-and should be-under parent supervision.

I can agree with prostitution, it is a way to earn money if they need to.

I am not sure that they want the government in on taking their part of what they earn.

Human trafficking is very bad and it is here as well, very sad indeed. I hate it when I see the teenagers starting out so young, as they become old before their time.

I wish it was regulated, so they could get checked for diseases, and also protected from their pimps who want to beat and abuse them. They do take their life into their own hands when they meet someone, who knows what kind of psycho they are meeting.

I do not feel they need a pimp at all. alot.png of the girls should get together and open their own place and have people come there so if anything goes wrong, they can try to stop it before one of them is hurt or killed.

Prostitution is a sad job for most of them.

I myself would not do this for a living. Now if times got hard and I could not get a job or feed my family like in war time, I am not saying I would not do this to survive or to feed my own family. I am a surviver and will do what it takes to survive.

I also can not say that prostitution is exactly right either.

No. We aren't discussing, say, our personal experiences with prostitutes, or their price, or stuff like that. This is a general sex trafficking (a horrible, terrible practice) and legalization thread. I'm sorry but if you don't know about human trafficking or why legalizing certain practices is needed, then I'd suggest that it's YOU that has issues with this, not younger players. Even younger players can know that human trafficking does have serious consequences. And as St.Jimmy said, they are-and should be-under parent supervision.

Looked to me like Ashojj was speaking AS a younger player, so he can say that younger players have an issue with the thread because that's what he is. Which means, perhaps, that he lacks the parental supervision he ought to have while cruising the Internet, and should learn sooner (and gently) rather than later (and harshly) that the Internet is not his oyster and forums attached to dragon collecting games are not necessarily kid-friendly.