Rosedamai

Prostitution

There again, if people woould go to church and read the bible and try to be better people and do the right thing, this world would not be in the shape it is today.

You can be a better person even if you dont go to church and read bible, to many bad things happen in church so that it culd teach people to be better, even if not all churches are the same the leeding characters dont give a censorkip.gif when bad things happen in church and even protect the ones that do bad things things taht are even worse than forced prostitution. and lots of the bad things in the past happned becouse of the holy bible.

We are on a PG-13 forum. If this is too much for the children, perhaps they should find a different forum.

Actually we are not any longer. Rules changed. But yes, they did change to be more unwelcoming to the very people the game is aimed at (general audience), but what can ya do? Older teens like to take over the playground and make it so families have to look elsewhere to hang out.

But we've had the argument here before and the park rezoned to accommodate the people who like to shove others out of parks. Back to the topic at hand.

Good to read so many people thinking rape and sex slavery is bad even when it's packaged in different language.

Prostitution is illegal where I live, which I think is just silly frankly. Yeah, I think it's sort of gross and I wouldn't want to do it myself, but on the other hand, prostitutes have been valued members of a great many societies throughout history--in some places and times they've even been sacred. It's never going to go away, and the best thing mankind as a whole can do is to acknowledge it so that it can be regulated and so that prostitutes and their clients can have protection from disease, criminalization, and bad situations.

Forced prostitution is, of course, reprehensible, but it seems like in a climate where prostitution were at least decriminalized and preferably regulated, there might be less call for scumballs to force unwilling people into it, because there would be enough people willing and able to do it without being forced--and besides that, maybe there could even be resources available for prostitutes to get help if they had been forced into it.

And if you look deeper into modern society you see that 75% of girls are in a way prostitutes, but they dont sel themselfes for money, but other things they get from theyr boyfriends, sooner or later a girl gives her body to a boy but not becouse of pure love but becouse he bought her something preciouse like a golden ring, a botle of perfume or something diferent that is valuable. And same thing if true for older married women to, when man comes home with a wonderfull gift she gives in. Boys are even easyer to be bought that girls, mostly it is enough if they get something deliciouse for diner.

This atitude is immature and disgusting, and anyone who thinks this does not need to be in any kind of sexual relationship.

1. Is it legal in your country/state/province?

I believe it's illegal is the majority of the US; not entirely sure about my particular state.

2. If it is illegal, is that really enforced or is it operating in the black market?

Again, not sure, but it's also not like it doesn't happen just because it's outlawed. :B

3. What are your personal perceptions and/or public perceptions of sex workers?

Personal - I don't mind prostitutes and I don't really care. As long as they don't bother me I don't really care what they do - it's their life. I can only hope they're using protection and whatnot so they don't get a disease. If they aren't hurting anyone, why SHOULD anyone care, really?

What I mind is women who don't have the sense to charge for sex if they're not with a husband or fiance or really serious boyfriend (obviously the sec there is for love/procreation/entertainment with a not-random person). That is what makes no sense to me. :| If you're going to risk pregnancy and disease from random people, it makes sense to charge....

I also really hate the people who force people into sex slavery (aka human trafficking), especially if the victims are children. That's just so low there are no words to really describe it and it makes me sad to think that this still goes on across the world, including the United States. People who do this should get the death penalty as far as I'm concerned because it's just so...low and horrible and evil. e_e

Public - There is a very prevalent stigma against prostitution in the US. I think most of it probably stems from diseases and lack of protection and all that though and the fact that the US is still probably predominantly Christian and even if they aren't most people are raised with morals that came out of Christianity or some other religion with similar moral tenets. I think people should be taught these morals but be allowed (and encouraged!) to reevaluate them as they get older and form their own views of morality instead of blindly accepting what their parents (and the rest of society) has taught them.

4. Should they be allowed to enjoy the full rights as any other laborer?

I'm on the fence on this one because I would imagine they don't really want to be taxed or anything like a regular laborer. :B But I DO very much think that they should have access to health care and protection like any other person in general without having to face the societal stigma against prostitution.

There again, if people woould go to church and read the bible and try to be better people and do the right thing, this world would not be in the shape it is today.

You can be a good person without even being Christian or reading the Bible. I have never read the Bible and I don't go to church, but I'm a predominantly good person whether people see it or not.

The world is in the shape it's in because of many factors, not just people not being "good" people.

/tosses in 2 cents

You can be a better person even if you dont go to church and read bible, to many bad things happen in church so that it culd teach people to be better, even if not all churches are the same the leeding characters dont give a censorkip.gif when bad things happen in church and even protect the ones that do bad things things taht are even worse than forced prostitution. and lots of the bad things in the past happned becouse of the holy bible.

Even in this world of goodness, no matter the organization, like anything else, you are going to have your rotten eggs.

Church can help you learn and understand the bible, if you do not have a teacher to help.

Please know I am not a Bible Thumper, rolleyes.gif

It is just things are not today like they were when I was growing up. Parents do not instill honesty, loyalty, manners, morals, convictions and the list goes on.

Even in this world of goodness, no matter the organization, like anything else, you are going to have your rotten eggs.

Church can help you learn and understand the bible, if you do not have a teacher to help.

Please know I am not a Bible Thumper, rolleyes.gif

It is just things are not today like they were when I was growing up. Parents do not instill honesty, loyalty, manners, morals, convictions and the list goes on.

Understanding the Bible and going to Church has nothing to do with being a good person, imo. It's what you do with yourself and your actions, and it is entirely possible to do that without Church or the Bible.

And yes, parents do instill honesty, loyalty, manners, morals, and whatnot in their children. There are those that don't. But this has been a norm for whatever time era- there are ALWAYS parents who aren't fit to be parents and parents who do amazing jobs. This is another reason gays and lesbians should be allowed to adopt anywhere and everywhere, because a good majority of them have exactly what it takes to raise well-rounded children.

Yes, it is illegal. idk how it's enforced, but if caught it is indeed a felony. I personally don't care for this matter, i will never need the "services" and most don't. It is dangerous and really people shouldn't even try to do this. Tons of them, both male and female have STD's. No matter what, there is going to be these people. But oh well, let them live.

This atitude is immature and disgusting, and anyone who thinks this does not need to be in any kind of sexual relationship.

Even if it seems that it is imature and is disgusting it sadly is true, well i wish this was not the case, but sadly modern world does not work as it shuld, and that is not my thinking but the well known facts, but no one calls it prostitution when a girl or a boy gives in when getting a gift, even tho they repay the giver for theyr kindness.

People think that payed prostitution is the only one in the world, but it is only one of many kinds of prostitution, and only payed prostioution is the one that people look down on, but it is not worse than any kind of prostitution, all are equaly bad only the payment method is diferent but the outcome is the same, giveing in to get something.

If everyone who thought that way wasn't in a sexual relationship, the number of people having sex would plummet. I'm sure that the number of unwanted pregnancies would go down, STDs wouldn't be as common, and fewer abortions would occur as well. A whole lot of marriages would end as well.

I don't think Mommy_Kitty's attitude is all that immature. It looks extraordinarily cynical to me, but I've trawled through the FML site enough to know she's not describing anything out of the ordinary.

I don't think Mommy_Kitty's attitude is all that immature. It looks extraordinarily cynical to me, but I've trawled through the FML site enough to know she's not describing anything out of the ordinary.

This is not my attitude, but i`m quoteing something i have seen on tv where people made som kind of reserch about prostitution worldwide, and from 500000 that were participateing in it 75% of all told that they given in at one point or another becouse they got something as a gift, and that is true even for married cuples, and that this shuld be called prostitution as well.

No, you do not have to go to church to be a good person, but you need a parent or someone raising you to do the right thing.

I feel gay's can be excellent parents, as I have friends who are parents and raised their children wonderfully.

I am just saying, today is different, and everything goes now. So where do you stop it!!! Like for instance, is it ok to have more than one wife or husband?

This country ahs gone to hell and back because it seems everything is ok.

Sometimes you have to read between the sheets. No pun intended.

Edited by ~Kat~

This is not my attitude, but i`m quoteing something i have seen on tv where people made som kind of reserch about prostitution worldwide, and from 500000 that were participateing in it 75% of all told that they given in at one point or another becouse they got something as a gift, and that is true even for married cuples, and that this shuld be called prostitution as well.

I am confused. You are quoting a statistic that said some people think that that should be called prostitution, or you think that should be called prostitution?

If you're just quoting a stat about extremely cynical people, source please? If it's you who think it should be called prostitution, again, I say that's a very cynical but not entirely unfounded attitude to have.

As far as I am concerned, married people should never use SEX as a weapon or bargining tool between each other.

Many of you are young on here and have not quite got the maturity you need to understand this yet.

I am confused.  You are quoting a statistic that said some people think that that should be called prostitution, or you think that should be called prostitution?

If you're just quoting a stat about extremely cynical people, source please?  If it's you who think it should be called prostitution, again, I say that's a very cynical but not entirely unfounded attitude to have.

It si not me who thinks this, but the guys tha made the reserches, and i dont know the source as it is couple of years back since i seen it, all i know it that is was in english and done worldwide, so multiple countryes were involed in it.

~Kat~  Posted on Jun 30 2012, 09:36 PM

As far as I am concerned, married people should never use SEX as a weapon or bargining tool between each other.

Many of you are young on here and have not quite got the maturity you need to understand this yet.

I agree with you there Kat, but sadly this is not true even with married people. It does not mater what we think shuld be, and what we want the world to look like, but the reality so as it is and it can`t be changet over night, and the fact that is is not the world that rules the world but material things and money.

I agree with you there Kat, but sadly this is not true even with married people. It does not mater what we think shuld be, and what we want the world to look like, but the reality so as it is and it can`t be changet over night, and the fact that is is not the world that rules the world but material things and money.

You are so right Mommy_Kitty.

Material things and money, will not make me change my morals and values at all. I love and I am comfortable with myself, and I do not have to look over my shoulder of something catching up with me because I have done the wrong thing or choose the wrong path.

The thing that I find so immature and disgusting about that attitude is the accompanying feeling of entitlement: I bought you dinner, so by agreeing to go to dinner with me you are consenting to whatever sexual activities I see fit to request. It is unhealthy to think of dating or gifts as a way of manipulating a person into giving sexual favors. A gift is freely given with no expectations, and for that matter, sexual activity ought to be thought of as a gift freely given. Anyone who gives either gifts or sex with conditions attached is not someone I or any other self-resecting healthy adult wants to be with. Expressing that opinion to me is the surest way to guarantee no more dates.

The thing that I find so immature and disgusting about that attitude is the accompanying feeling of entitlement: I bought you dinner, so by agreeing to go to dinner with me you are consenting to whatever sexual activities I see fit to request. It is unhealthy to think of dating or gifts as a way of manipulating a person into giving sexual favors. A gift is freely given with no expectations, and for that matter, sexual activity ought to be thought of as a gift freely given. Anyone who gives either gifts or sex with conditions attached is not someone I or any other self-resecting healthy adult wants to be with. Expressing that opinion to me is the surest way to guarantee no more dates.

If anyone asks someone out for a date and thinks that date owes them sex, is not worthy to go out with. Do not lower yourself.

There are those who are responsible and not shallow that ask people out on dates and do not expect that. They prefer a deeper kind of a relationship than just a one night stand.

I think if someone who's an adult offered with consent to give sex as a reciprocation, that's okay, but then again, that's just me.

I'll agree on it being a disgusting attitude. At least johns are open about what they are doing. It's a profoundly misogynistic attitude, generally.

I don't consider that "prostitution" except when I'm feeling really misanthropic though.

I think if someone who's an adult offered with consent to give sex as a reciprocation, that's okay, but then again, that's just me.

Even tho i think that prostitution shuld be legalized your thinking is not so good and i think it is wrong, but not becouse people get payed to have sex with another person but becouse they have sex with others to get better jobs even tho they are not qualifyed for them, or other things that they did not deserve but they got them becouse they gave in.

Even tho i think that prostitution shuld be legalized your thinking is not so good and i think it is wrong, but not becouse people get payed to have sex with another person but becouse they have sex with others to get better jobs even tho they are not qualifyed for them, or other things that they did not deserve but they got them becouse they gave in.

I'm confused -- how would a prostitute get a 'better job' by having sex with some random stranger and having the potential to get dome form of STDs? Also, if they 'gave in', then why are they making that other person pay money for a 'good time'?

I'm confused -- how would a prostitute get a 'better job' by having sex with some random stranger and having the potential to get dome form of STDs? Also, if they 'gave in', then why are they making that other person pay money for a 'good time'?

Yeah, I really don't understand what your position is, Mommy_Kitty.

Prostitutes dont get better job as they get payed for haveing sex, but other people that have sex to get better things like jobs and other things. And i bet that in every not to small town there is a person that got a job or any other thing he/she shuld not, as he/she is not qualifyed for, becouse they gave in.

I am just saying, today is different, and everything goes now. So where do you stop it!!! Like for instance, is it ok to have more than one wife or husband?

This country ahs gone to hell and back because it seems everything is ok.

Today is always different than when we were young, it's been that way since the dawn of time. tongue.gif

Also, I don't see an issue with multiple spouses providing all involved are treated with love, respect, and are considered equals. But that's a discussion for a different thread.

The issue isn't only that people are always getting looser and looser with their morals (which I would argue isn't the case anyway), but the problem lies also with the media which makes it easier and easier to see problems that have been there all along.

There have always been horrible parents, for example. But 100 years ago, we didn't have the Internet which gave us access to thousands upon thousands of stories of terrible parents across the world. Those horrible parents were still out there--we just didn't always have the means to hear about them.

Same can be said with many other things that people use as examples of why liberals are destroying America or such.

Times change, morals change, and it's not always for the worst. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

Plenty of absolutely horrible things have happened, and are still happening, because people are relying on religious text to do the thinking for them instead of thinking for themselves and taking the historical and social context in which said text was written into account.

But that's getting into the religion topic, so I won't take that further here.

But I will also say that change has done worlds of good for USA. Or would you rather women still be not allowed to vote and blacks enslaved?

More on-topic:

Personally, I don't consider it prostitution if a consenting individual is given a gift free from expectation of a return gift and decides that they'll have sex with the person as a thank-you.

It's the same basic principle of "Wow, that was really nice of him/her to get me that gift for no reason. I think I'll get him/her a gift in return to show my thanks!" The return gift is not expected when the initial gift is given, but the return gift is given out of gratitude and probably some level of affection for the original gift-giver.

Sex is just a more intimate form of gift to be given.

Same for buying dinner for somebody. If you are not expecting sex in return, but they offer it freely as a thank-you, I don't see a problem with it.

I do, however, see a problem with the "Well, I treated you to dinner/bought you that nice whatever, so gimme *insert sexual activity of your choice here* in return, you owe me."

I also see a problem with the idea of "Wow, they bought me dinner/that nice whatever, I really should have sex with them to thank them, I owe them something."

THOSE are problem ideas, treating sex as an owed response to "gifts" or "treats". But that's not the same as somebody using sex in return if there was no expectation of a return gift, IMO.

Personally, I don't consider it prostitution if a consenting individual is given a gift free from expectation of a return gift and decides that they'll have sex with the person as a thank-you.

It's the same basic principle of "Wow, that was really nice of him/her to get me that gift for no reason.  I think I'll get him/her a gift in return to show my thanks!"  The return gift is not expected when the initial gift is given, but the return gift is given out of gratitude and probably some level of affection for the original gift-giver.

Sex is just a more intimate form of gift to be given.

Same for buying dinner for somebody.  If you are not expecting sex in return, but they offer it freely as a thank-you, I don't see a problem with it.

I do, however, see a problem with the "Well, I treated you to dinner/bought you that nice whatever, so gimme *insert sexual activity of your choice here* in return, you owe me."

I also see a problem with the idea of "Wow, they bought me dinner/that nice whatever, I really should have sex with them to thank them, I owe them something."

THOSE are problem ideas, treating sex as an owed response to "gifts" or "treats".  But that's not the same as somebody using sex in return if there was no expectation of a return gift, IMO.

Agreed.

And

but other people that have sex to get better things like jobs and other things. And i bet that in every not to small town there is a person that got a job or any other thing he/she shuld not, as he/she is not qualifyed for, becouse they gave in.

In that case, I don't think we can call them prostitutes-that's not exactly prostitution in my book, unless the said person is giving out sex in exchange for money as a job. If he/she isn't thinking it as a job, then I'd say that that cannot be counted as prostitution. It's manipulative, sure, and the person who's receiving sex isn't doing a world of good, but we can't call them prostitutes.

We're talking strictly about prostitution, when used as a job, here, not about other acts that you may think is similar to prostitution, so please, get back on topic.

Anyways, I just read a book called Half the Sky (by Nicholast D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn) and there are some horror stories in there. I also watched a film called Trading Women (2002) and the worst part was (TRIGGER ALERT) that parents in Thailand used to sell their daughters when they were starving, to get food, but nowadays, it's for color TVs and such, which made me wonder if modern capitalism, when coupled with severe misogyny, is necessarily a good thing.

Edited by ylangylang