Thuban

Ideas for scroll view options

I know many many people are cranky about the new "pagination" thing that is in effect. This thread will NOT be for complaining about it. This thread is purely for gathering ideas that people come up with as a result of the change. With a bit of creativity, and COMPROMISE, im sure we can come up with a way to be able to view our scrolls as one page WITHOUT causing massive drain on the resources.

I have a few ideas to pitch, shoot them down, agree or suggest changes, but please do not turn this into a drama thread. I declare this thread a no drama zone tongue.gif

Suggestion 1: imageless viewing.

Sounds annoying but hear me out. I played this game on a broken browser for a very long time. I could not see the images, and as a result had a much faster load time. I learned my dragons by their codes and their names, I knew which dragons I always bred and which ones i didnt. The browser did NOT handle css, or javascript. There was no options to get around that.

So this idea is based off of how the display worked. All i had was a list of codes. Since i know which of my dragons were at the top of each breeds section, I could easily find the dragons. What im suggesting is merely a list of clickable links name/code. No images, no stats, just clickable links that either lead to view page OR straight to actions page (since names do show up on the action page...).What you end up with is just a list of codes/names down the left side of the page (those of you who have dealt with the weird white screen on dragcave should be able to picture this). It would not have to be a setting, it could just be a different page you go to, in order to trigger it (dragcave.net/dragons/noimage or something equally boring)

Pros: With this option.. there is no need to load the images therefore making it faster. I will admit that it takes some getting used to, but overall would be an easy way to get all of your dragons loaded at one time without bogging down the server /as much/

Cons: people who are not as familiar with their dragons code, or position on their scroll will have a harder time finding what they are looking for. Its also not pretty, since it basically breaks down to a basic list. <~~(personal note: this compromise is worth it to me, but not many people have experience with this) tongue.gif

Suggestion 2: tile viewing

Again, this would have no stats for your dragons. This would purely be just an image. You would need to know the code of the dragons you are looking for.. however to cut down on space, it would just be thumbnail images with click to view dragon page ability. this really doesnt cause any less drain on the server in the sense that its still loading a ton of images however not having to load the stats and specific info would help some.

Suggestion 3-?:

~Personalized Page sorting- the ability to sort bsa to one page, personal lineages to another and so on. (the ability to name these individual pages seems to be rather popular as well)

Pros: yes, a way to sort your dragons as you see fit. This could be rather handy to large numbers of people.

Con: if page naming is allowed, how do we ensure people wont be using inappropiate names for their groups? if this is a personal view only, it is not a problem, however if we have the ability to check out other peoples groups, this could be a huge issue. The only way i can think of to get around this would be to use preset names for page grouping (lineage 1 lineage 2 blah blah... bsa teleport, bsa-incubate.. but this probably puts a cramp on peoples personal styles.)

~Scroll search ability- I believe that there was a tool for this that was in the works, but not put into place due to issues. Will see about finding more info on it.

Pro: No real need for any changes to the existing system for viewing since however it ends up working will allow you to find what you are looking for quickly and easily

Con: Dont have a specific one at this time, purely that the one version i know of wasn't ready for release at the time it was temporarily released

~offsite suggestion- The ability to limit viewing of OTHER peoples scrolls to only hatchys and eggs.

~offsite suggestion-

pagination we control not by numbers ,but  as markers or breakpoints.  So it would split a full scroll into multiple sub-scrolls

This comes off as another way to do grouping. No idea on the mechanics of this one yet, but will edit once i have a clearer understanding.

New section for new ideas: Sort options

Most bred:

A new sort option that puts your most oftenly bred dragons at the top of your scroll. it could either go by how many times its been bred (doubt thats tracked...)or by most offspring (more babies means its bred more than a no baby dragon.. so why not?) It wouldnt be a pretty sort, since it would not account for breed, gender or anything other than how many time you have bred/gotten eggs. On the upside, the dragons you are most likely to breed would automatically be on the first page and easier to find.

~ suggested tweak i recieved offline: to narrow the number of dragons that show up, have it ask if you want males or females to show up. Some people always breed Males to Females.. others prefer female to male breeding. This would allow for both styles of breeding to be covered, while cutting down on the sheer number of dragons that show up.

~suggested option 2-

When selecting a mate for a dragon, I wouldn't mind seeing a page that displays either a drop down list of breeds that you currently own (and have the correct gender of), or clickable tiles with the same restrictions.

However, the default setting would display known mates, so that you wouldn't have to go through extra steps to breed say, the same pair every week.

Let's say I was going to breed one of my Ribbon Dancers. I click on "Breed" and a list of her known mates pops up - similar to how it is now with the known mates at the top of the breeding list - but in this case, it would ONLY show her known mates and not every male dragon on the scroll.

However under that list of mates is a section that says "Other Eligible Dragons" or something to that effect - and that's where the breed listings would be for you to choose a new mate. So if I wanted to choose a new Nebula mate, I would click on "Nebula" and only male Nebula Dragons would be displayed.

Pro: This would seriously cut down on load time for those users who rely on set mates. Breeding dragons with this option could seriously cut down on server strain, especially during mass breeding sprees.

Cons: breeding to a mate other than one you normally use would involve an extra click, but would pull up the old style of breeding menu we are already used to. The only real con is the extra click.

Personal page sort vs what everyone else sees:

pulling from the "make a seperate page for links only idea.. what if you could sort your dragons to show up a certain way FOR YOU while having them show the way you currently have them for everyone. This way something like the "most bred" sort wouldnt make your scroll ugly to everyone else, only to you while breeding tongue.gif

(dragcave.net/dragons/yourname opposed to what happens on dragcave.net/user/name)

New breeding options:

A new breeding specific page that pulls all of your breedable dragons, and allows you to decide how they show up. There could be buttons (like you find on the sort options page) and a drop down menu.

Example buttons:

sort by: most bred,least bred/never bred, breed type (drop down menu that would pull only the breeds of that type to the top of the list), or something to this effect. A custom sort like page for breeding might help people be less cranky about the forced pages if theres an easy way to pull the dragons you /want/ to breed to the top of the list. We already know the dragons most preferred mates will automatically show up at the top when you do hit breed.. so why not have a way to throw your best breeders to the top of the list? This would fall under a "personal" view, not a forced view that other people would see.

At this moment, i do not have visual examples. I can make them if its needed (well.. some of them.. lol)

MOD NOTE: If for some reason this isnt getting updated, Mods with ability to edit in this section have FULL PERMISSION to update this post. I only ask that a pm is tossed to alert me to the edits.

Edited by Thuban

How about grouping on 1 page (or more if you have more than 500 dragons open)?

Say still one page with a tile of every breed on scroll. If you click on it it opens the breed (would be nice to combine in breeding too as I dont need to see all breeds when I go for geodes from stones)

And (some forum have that option to merge unwanted subforum) you can save the layout and always come back to the last saved opened breeds.

(Think most players have favourite breeds that they collect, geodes for me. So i dont mind haveing all my geoedes open and the others 'closed')

Plus when you reach the max 500 per page you get 2 pages.

Paging for other scrolls would be ok with me. Maybe change the http://dragcave.net/dragons/2 automaticly to http://dragcave.net (DONT CLICK) /user/n/tridymite/2 so that showing dragons is easier.

How about grouping on 1 page (or more if you have more than 500 dragons open)?

Say still one page with a tile of every breed on scroll. If you click on it it opens the breed (would be nice to combine in breeding too as I dont need to see all breeds when I go for geodes from stones)

And (some forum have that option to merge unwanted subforum) you can save the layout and always come back to the last saved opened breeds.

(Think most players have favourite breeds that they collect, geodes for me. So i dont mind haveing all my geoedes open and the others 'closed')

Plus when you reach the max 500 per page you get 2 pages.

Paging for other scrolls would be ok with me. Maybe change the http://dragcave.net/dragons/2 automaticly to http://dragcave.net (DONT CLICK) /user/n/tridymite/2 so that showing dragons is easier.

If i am understanding you correctly, you would like to see an option where ONLY the dragons you consistantly breed show up on a certain breeding page view, where others wont?

I can see that as being rather helpful. I pretty much only breed my metals, having just the metals show up would be handy. If im looking to breed only my reds (or the seasonal and balloon armies) having JUST those dragons show up would be nice. It ties into my drop down menu suggestion up there tongue.gif

"I want to breed my reds today.... oooh a drop down menu" click... ok i want reds.. click... wow i have a lot of reds, lets breed tongue.gif

1. Internal scroll search function. You look up the name or code to go straight to the dragon or page with the dragon on it. Not sure if going to the page with the dragon would be easy to do, but it would be the most useful.

2. Being allowed to keep sort options for one or more of the various sorts. In other words, I use the alternate custom sort, and I'd love to try the other sorts, but I've always been afraid to lose the custom sort. I know the Cave keeps one sort iteration for a limited time, but I'd like to be able to explore other sorts more extensively without losing my hard-won custom sort. Then it might be easier to navigate dragons using the other sort options. (I may be completely wrong about how sort works, so I'll expect the corrections happy.gif)

3. A page where all the breeds are listed as links, and clicking those links will show you all the dragons on your scroll of that breed.

As a quick solution, I tried pagination once before and used it by leaving a tab open in my browser for each page. Then if you use control-F search, it's not too painful to hit control-F on each open tab. Most browsers bring the last search with control-F up automatically, so it's just control-F, switch tab, control-F, switch tab, etc.

Not fond of the image-less viewing idea, I have these dragons so that I can look at the pretty pictures tongue.gif

However, I don't need the stats except for eggs and hatchlings, they don't gather views after adulthood , why show them?

I often have thought that a page of tiles would be more efficient -- make it a link to the actions page-- more would fit on a page that way

I have used pages since they became available, my dragons are in a specific order and even with an ever growing scroll , I have a good idea where they are, but I would LOVE to be able to group different numbers of dragons per page--

growing page 1

breeding projects page 2

finished projects page 3 etc.

that way if I want to breed my stripes I go to their page rather than scrolling down 500 dragons to get to them.

This would also help with the problem I have been having of late -- the last 2/3 of my scroll blacking out when I search for breeding partners ( yes, a hard refresh fixes it , but it had become a major annoyance since it's doing the same thing in my alt sort-- makes getting dragons to the last page difficult at best)

The ability to breed something from page 2 with something from page 9 without going thru all the pages in between would be real nice.

Edit: a sort option , to send said dragoon to a specific page , then sort into place

ie: new Turpentine --- click to send to page # 6

then on that page drag to the correct spot- rather than dragging all the way on a single page

Edited by dragonpuck

3. A page where all the breeds are listed as links, and clicking those links will show you all the dragons on your scroll of that breed.

this is actually helpful. If a drop down menu isnt an option, there is now a back up plan. Thank you tongue.gif

Not fond of the image-less viewing idea, I have these dragons so that I can look at the pretty pictures

this would be a personal view option. Its an idea for people like me who WANT all their dragons available on one page without having to override tjs new limits. I prefer to load my full scroll ONCE and leave that open all day as i go through and breed/name. This eliminates having to load multiple pages page to find what you are looking for if you breed your dragons in chunks. Its a lesser load for your computer to have to handle, and less of a drain overall since you arent dealing with images, stats or any other display options. It would be a simple way to list your dragons all at once for ctrl +click goodness. This would NOT be a screen other people would see... which is why i gave a suggested link option

The ability to breed something from page 2 with something from page 9 without going thru all the pages in between would be real nice..

The breeding page has NOT changed. If your page 2 dragon has bred successfully with your page 9 dragon, then page 9 dragon would be at top of list, as always. All of your available opposite gendered dragons still show up like they have been... so not sure what your point was here?

Edited by Thuban

If i am understanding you correctly, you would like to see an option where ONLY the dragons you consistantly breed show up on a certain breeding page view, where others wont?

I can see that as being rather helpful. I pretty much only breed my metals, having just the metals show up would be handy. If im looking to breed only my reds (or the seasonal and balloon armies) having JUST those dragons show up would be nice. It ties into my drop down menu suggestion up there tongue.gif

"I want to breed my reds today.... oooh a drop down menu" click... ok i want reds.. click... wow i have a lot of reds, lets breed tongue.gif

Not just on the breeding page, my dragon scroll should have also only breeds i like to see.

So having a tile/bar for every breed with a + to open the breed to see ALL dragons of that breed.

user posted image

>>>

user posted image

<< better understandable?

Similar to grouping.

EDIT: Its actually hide/unhide dragonbreeds.

Edited by tridymite

I have used pages since they became available, my dragons are in a specific order and even with an ever growing scroll , I have a good idea where they are, but I would LOVE to be able to group different numbers of dragons per page--

This, please. It would be so useful.

The breeding page has NOT changed. If your page 2 dragon has bred successfully with your page 9 dragon, then page 9 dragon would be at top of list, as always. All of your available opposite gendered dragons still show up like they have been... so not sure what your point was here?

when searching a pair that hasn't produced yet

when searching for a mate for a new dragon

I don't life mate-- so what I am looking for is not always at the top, but if I want to try a specific breed I would know which page they were on.

Doesn't having all the dragons on one page for breeding cause the same problem as having them all on the same page for viewing?

When selecting a mate for a dragon, I wouldn't mind seeing a page that displays either a drop down list of breeds that you currently own (and have the correct gender of), or clickable tiles with the same restrictions.

However, the default setting would display known mates, so that you wouldn't have to go through extra steps to breed say, the same pair every week.

Let's say I was going to breed one of my Ribbon Dancers. I click on "Breed" and a list of her known mates pops up - similar to how it is now with the known mates at the top of the breeding list - but in this case, it would ONLY show her known mates and not every male dragon on the scroll.

However under that list of mates is a section that says "Other Eligible Dragons" or something to that effect - and that's where the breed listings would be for you to choose a new mate. So if I wanted to choose a new Nebula mate, I would click on "Nebula" and only male Nebula Dragons would be displayed.

I would LOVE to be able to  group different numbers of dragons per page--

Yes! Please!

I would love to be able to organize the pages by breeding project, or generation, etc... instead of the same number of dragons on each page.

ETA: It would be helpful if the page breaks showed on the customsort/2 editing page; would make it a lot easier to arrange the dragons

--------------

Though I have rather a lot of dragons, the only display oddity I've encountered with all on the same page (I mostly use Firefox) is that after a few hundred, the background loses the scroll paper border and is just a slightly different shade of beige... had never seen the black bar other players have mentioned. Then further down, the scroll paper border reappeared... blink.gif

(I, too, went to the account settings page to "fix" my view, then found I couldn't, so came into the forum to find out what was up... now, to think about how to reorganize until we get variable page size)

Edited by evilcostumelady

What I would really really like is the ability to do 'personal sorting' (something only you could see) that would allow you to put dragons into multiple groups.

I don't really care about how others view my scroll. I can set a number smaller than 500 and be happy with what shows on the first page. My issue is that it's hard for me to easily find BSAs/breeding things/etc. I could just smack them all down on the first page but that would ruin the organization I'm going for.

Now introduce the ability to put in multiple groups to that. I could still have my dragons in all their orderly scroll spaces, but I could also, say, have a group where all my metals and trios were lumped together, or all my reds, or whatever. Imagine if you could even have SUB groups--I could have my 'shinies to breed' group and then within that group separate out the nicely lineaged ones from the ones that'd only produce CB-common-hatchie-worth babies. Mmm.

I've had to play imageless before as well, Thuban, and you're right - it's much quicker. But it does take a whole lot of getting used to. ;P

I really like the idea of tile viewing. It could be added to the view options as something like "View X dragons per page or view all as tiles", where the tiles would display exactly like the alternate custom sort page does now. I also quite like the breed headers tridymite has suggested up there - that could be very handy!

I also want to suggest something that came up in the news thread - graphic links for the navigation. I know this will add more images to the site and potentially therefore more system drain, but we've already got badges. If there were images for links, they wouldn't need to be much bigger than 20x20 px, and could easily be aligned to the right of our scroll badges. From what I can see, you'd need four (first, previous, next and last, and I know most of you are familiar with them from image hosting sites as being little arrows: <<, <, > and >>) and probably a little drop down menu for "jump to X page" rather than a list showing all the page numbers all the time.

Groups is an idea I'm not particularly keen on, and probably wouldn't use if they were implemented. Scroll search, on the other hand, I definitely would. happy.gif

ETA: I like your idea too, LadyLyzar! I do generally life-mate my dragons, but occasionally I want to try them with something new, and that system would reduce the lag on my computer (loading all possible mates, even though I'll never use 670 of them) as well as server lag.

Edited by alyelle

I'd kinda like custom pages to be honest. then we could divide our scroll, but do it in a useful fashion, rather than just it's divided because it must be.

could do it similar to legacy sort, all you do is add an extra variable to each dragon which signifies what page you want it on.

What I would really like to see is grouping of dragons per named page. So I could name a page "Lineage A" and put all dragons that relate to that lineage in that group/on that page.

If naming the pages is left free, the options are endless: pages with the dragons you breed, the dragons you like, the dragons you use for their bsa's.

On the page I would like to see nested sorting. I would like to be able to sort my dragons by breed, by name (for lineage projects) or by breed by date, or maybe even, by breed by date I used the bsa last smile.gif.

I believe a similar feature has already been requested in this section before though.

Yes, im trying to get all these ideas in one place... Perhaps if we sit and hash out ideas enough we can come up with 2-3 sound ideas to present tj with. I'll edit this first post around once we get a fe more ideas, and list pros and cons for each.

The main focus is: what can we do without in order to get what we need. How do we get what we need, without creating a drain on the system.

I plan to bounce these ideas off my husband (hes a programmer and might be able to come up with suggestions on how to make these things work).

I am liking the idea of a "minimal" view more and more. I like the idea of "personal" view vs "everyone else sees this". Headers, tiles those seem like things people could get into. Imageless really isnt as scary as people think, if you know your scroll well, its a very quick thing to learn (i know i have screenshots /somewhere/ from before tj had fixed the image problem i had on my browser.

I had one person bring up in private that imageless idea makes artists touchy... I disagree with this only because this would be a personal view. the art would still be viewable on yuor main scroll, only the alternate link i suggested would have no images.

And another sort idea i have been trying to pitch over and over again in chat over the past few years:

Check boxes in the sort window. This would be a legacy sort. If you check boxes, all the checked boxes would be moved at once to the number you assign, in order from top to bottom. This would be handy for people who have lyric armies or large chunks of a breed they want moved from one spot to another (i have 7 lyric armies i keep bunched together, and i tend to keep my lyric hoards seperate from my just because hoards. Being able to move large groups in one click would be awesome. Anyone have other ideas for large group moving?

I would LOVE to be able to group different numbers of dragons per page--

growing page 1

breeding projects page 2

finished projects page 3 etc.

that way if I want to breed my stripes I go to their page rather than scrolling down 500 dragons to get to them.

If I could have this I would be so happy. If there was then some way to add individual titles to the pages my happiness would be boundless. biggrin.gif

I'm not entirely sure I fully understand the problem, but I'm assuming that having an excessive number of dragons on one page was causing loading issues for some users?

I am personally objected to pagination on the web in general, I just dislike it. It doesn't affect me yet, but I know it will when I get enough dragons. Because of this, I decided to use my problem solving powers and new knowledge of web design (perks of work experience, huzzah!) to figure it out.

As far as I know, websites which have to have many pages for the same thing but with different data (same scroll, different users) normally work by having one template for, say, a user page("/user") which then loads data from a database to populate that template. This means that the data is all stored in one place, and means you only need a few files of code stored rather than thousands.

Because of this, wouldn't it just be simple to keep pagination as the default view, under ("/user/username") and have a link or something that lets you go to the one-page view, maybe as ("/SinglePage/username")? that way, we would still be able to view a full page, but only by actively going to it each time. It would only load all of the dragons when all of them were wanted.

I mean, I may be totally wrong about how the website works, but that seems like the most sensible, efficient way. I'm just learning though, TJ is doing a degree in it.

On a side note, I agree with some others that 'scroll' is now a little invalid. maybe it should be 'scrolls' instead?

EDIT: Forgot some points <.<

Edited by dracocharky

And another sort idea i have been trying to pitch over and over again in chat over the past few years:

Check boxes in the sort window. This would be a legacy sort. If you check boxes, all the checked boxes would be moved at once to the number you assign, in order from top to bottom. This would be handy for people who have lyric armies or large chunks of a breed they want moved from one spot to another (i have 7 lyric armies i keep bunched together, and i tend to keep my lyric hoards seperate from my just because hoards. Being able to move large groups in one click would be awesome. Anyone have other ideas for large group moving?

I would LOVE this, too. I have some dragons that are stuck where I put them originally because it is too much trouble to move the whole army one by one!

I also would be beyond happy if we could have varying numbers of dragons per page so we could use pages in a way that makes sense to us.

This^^^^ would be wonderful, combined with the previously mentioned variable numbers of dragons per page would be heaven biggrin.gif

but I use pages anyway- scrolling through 2000 + dragons is tedious, at best

Heads up everyone: I edited the first post a bit with some of the suggestions pitched so far, and some offsite suggestions i received from chat and other means.

If you have pros and cons to offer for each thing, let me know, either in here, in chat or by pm, so i can get a fair overview on what people are thinking of each idea. You may notice I have been trying to leave names off my quotes.. im funny about quoting names. If you have ideas but arent comfortable pitching them yourself, I am more than happy to throw the suggestions out anonymously. Just toss me a PM and im more than happy to get your ideas out there.

The main thing here is: we have a new system to get used to...how can we make it better? How do we make this something everyone can use. What matters to you in YOUR game, and can it help other users? No ideas will be turned away, I will make the effort to get everyone's ideas working together as this thread grows.

Edited by Thuban

The larger my scroll gets, the harder it is to sort. I used Legacy sort for a VERY long time, but since I don't spend as much time on DC as I used to, the unsorted dragons kept piling up and making my scroll look like a mess. So I gave in and just started sorting by breed.. tho I wasn't really happy about it.

That said, the arbitrary 500 dragon cutoff just makes a mess. I didn't want it or like it when it was first introduced, and I like it even less now.

My preference would be for customizable pages similar to the tabs on MagiStream. You have a 'main' page/tab that holds growing eggs/hatchlings and unsorted adults. Then you have additional pages/tabs that you name and sort individually.. each page can be left on a default sort, or can be sorted manually. To move creatures from one page/tab to another you have a toggle/drop down at the top of the page.. click toggle, click the name of the page/tab you want to send the creature to and it moves automatically. As long as the toggle is still engaged, you can continue to send other creatures to other pages/tabs.. it's one at a time and not a mass move, but better than a single move cycle that you have to repeat from the beginning every time.

MagiStream has a limit of 50 tabs per Keep.. which is like our DC scroll.. but each tab holds an unlimited amount of creatures (or at least I haven't hit a limit yet and some of my MS tabs have over 500 creatures in them).

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

I just came back with not having internet for about a week...so seeing the pages pop up confused me. The news thread was closed before I could complain with everyone else, but since this has to be implemented I would prefer to be able to customize my pages. When scroll pages were first brought up as one of the major updates to the site. I thought it would be just that: We'd have the ability to move dragons around and categorize them how we please. I would have liked that originally instead of just having numerical cutoffs that really just make things harder to find if you aren't used to it.

Afterward I'd like a nicer set up than what we have now, but that might mean having to add more images to the site.

Aside from my eggs and Hatchlings, I would not at all mind using a text only version of my scroll for most of my game play. There are a few things I would need, but its not anything outrageous. I would want the rows to be a bit more spaced out. Not a ton like I get with the full sized adult sprites. Just a little more than images off mode.

There is no need for the views stats and I kinda wonder why they are on the main scroll in the first place. Because unless there is some need for them for a new level or ascension or something, I would just list this as an option that shows only lists for pre adults and put it as an option in account settings or maybe view only page.

What stats I would want are gender, breed, name, code, link to lineage, link to actions and possibly a notation if the sprite is alt or not or which alt for multiple options. That's all I need to play. I already have my dragons sorted the way I need them.

I would also love a version of the scroll as it appears for fertility and alt sort method. I would love love to be able to access a version to flip thru dragons faster or even have an option for the smaller images on my scroll list. Would use this very often, especially when flipping thru dragons for breeding or BSAs (until better options are released ). Heck, I'd probably still use it after a filter or sort option is released. I know my dragons. If its a worthless dragon, it's not staying on m scroll. I can't help but think many others are the same way. We don't need server draining resources most of the time.

Having an easier to use text only version makes my cave hunting so much easier anyway.

There is no need for the views stats and I kinda wonder why they are on the main scroll in the first place. Because unless there is some need for them for a new level or ascension or something, I would just list this as an option that shows only lists for pre adults and put it as an option in account settings or maybe view only page.

I like the views stats - they can be handy when you suddenly realise something might be close to getting sick, or that it needs more views.