TJ09

2012-06-25 - Pagination Updates

The move I look at the first post the more I'm convinced it's a bandwidth issue. Although I can agree angelicdragonpuppy, he should have been a bit more clear. May stop some of the hate he's getting for doing such a change.

Do NOT like!!!!!

Changes like this are why I no longer play this game regularly. Instead of changing things to suit your (TJ) needs, why not make changes that we (the users) have asked for. Like sorting dragons into groups and allowing those groups to be on separate pages. (See UniCreatures or MagiStream to see how this works)

Changes are supposed to be for the better. THIS CHANGE IS NOT BETTER!!!!!

I agree with this completely !

Making grouping-pages is a lot better than what we get with this, now v.v!

And it has been requested a long time ago.

I would like to have such grouping pages or stuff like that, but forcing me to have even my ''inner scroll'' ( /dragons ), sorted to at least 500 per page = do NOT like at all sad.gifsad.gif ...

I have to say, this has been the first update that I've seen thats been pretty disliked.

Oh pity sad.gif

I really really preferred to have all my dragons in only one page. It's so inconvenient to have to change 3 different pages to look for one dragon now sad.gif

Can't we have the chance to set a different "number of dragons per page" for our scroll (with no limits) and for other scrolls (with a 500 or even lower limit)?

This way there would be a band saving anyway anytime we open the scroll of someone else, but we will be able to see our own scroll all together

Edited by Iside

Gah, I liked them all being on one page since I could Ctrl+F the dragon I wanted easy. Now it's extra clicking to even find the page I want :/ I never liked even the idea of pages.

Could we possibly have a higher upper limit? 1000 per page perhaps?

Or maybe a button to View All Dragons when we click it, only we can't set it permanently as our preferred scroll viewing option.

I'll miss having all of my dragons on one page, but considering that this has fixed something other than the image repeat error for me, I'm happy for it.

Prior to this update, having DC open in one tab, whether it was on my scroll, the AP, my settings page, etc, caused a 2-3-second lag if I was typing and had to use the shift key. And it wasn't just on DC. It affected my typing on other sites if I had a tab to DC open. Now I can have DC open in a tab and my typing while naming dragons or typing in other tabs as I'm doing now is unaffected. Thanks, TJ.

Thank you for letting us know - but could you possibly explain more, please?

I, like many others, hate this change and simply do not understand it. I thought the whole point was that everyone could view their scroll and others as they wished to. If they wanted to see all dragons, be that 50 or 5,000 they could.

I've got 1,699 dragons and have never had a problem viewing my scroll and I've been to scrolls with far more dragons than that and again haven't had any problems.

This will have a large impact on the way I play the game and use my scroll as I'm used to searching my scroll by the name of the dragon when I want a specific one and now I won't be able to do that. I'm going to have to remember where they came and gauge which page they will be on.

Plus, for someone as obsessively organised as I am the idea that some breeds will be split across two pages really irks me.

I'm sure there is a good reason - but it would be really nice if it could be explained a little better, please.

Is there any chance we can go back to how it was? Or even up the number of dragons to 1,000 per page? I never used pagination and I never intended to. Like others it's the only update here I've really hated.

To put it plain and simple. This sucks. =\

I'm normally one to complain but I don't like this. At all.

I didn't like it when it first came out, which is why I never used it, and I still don't like it.

I think a better method of organizing would be a much better solution. Like being able to choose which dragons go on which pages (like having all of my BSA's on one page, Metallics on another, Tinsels on another, etc.) and have them used more as folders rather than just splitting up my 1700 dragons into 3 pages would be much much better.

I sort mine by breed and have a specific way of sorting and this just screwed it all up.

But whatev. I haven't been playing much anymore anyway. This just gave me more of a reason not to care too much about DC. *shrug*

This is what it looks like for the last few dragons on 500 view:

My Scroll Image

That is how I still see it even months later. It's only been that way since I upgraded to FF 11 and cannot figure it out. It is definitely not cache related as The cache on this computer has been cleaned several times and my net has been unplugged a few times too.

^This happens to me as well. I used to have it set to 250, but ever since I set it to 500, scroll pages started showing up like this too.

Anyway, this change doesn't really affect me, since I never intended my scroll to be loaded all at once and prefer the "show 500 dragons" option, though I can see why people would be upset about this.

Thank you for the update, TJ, I'm pretty sure you have a good reason for making this change, would be nice to know what it is but oh well XD

Also, when I sort my scroll ... everything will load as well, so large scrolls STILL take this time to load .

Plus, let's say we have a scroll with 4000 dragons and magically they are all 2000/2000 (male/female), then even when hitting the breeding action, DC has to load 2000 dragons.

D: i don't like this, fffffff....... my scroll is always hidden for others, i don't plan to open it ever. i can't play and breed as i used to, if i don't see everything on one page.

i want to have ability to see all my 4k dragons on 1 page privately, just for me, when i load scroll, as it was before.

this is extremely inconvenient and unfair to the players, and will not bring any substantial benefit.

and yes, sorry for critique

I don't like at all this change. I never used scroll pages because I disliked it and was in peace with it just because it was an optional choice. My scroll order has a meaning that now is totally broken by pages, for me seeing at the bottom of the page my Vines instead of Dinos and poetry fodder is a punch in my stomach, and not to mention that now I don't know at all where my dragons are, when before I just typed the first letters of a name and the page automatically jumped to that dragon. And I can't put all the BSA on a single page because everyone has a fixed place in my scroll order and can't be moved.

Playing has become really difficult for me, as for everything I do I have to go and search where the dragons are. And I can't like the fact that the groups of dragons belonging to the same breed could now be split between two pages when I intended them to be seen at once.

I've read about the problems that people with endless scrolls have had, but I would absolutely prefer that this change is temporary and will kept until a fix will be found, instead of penalizing everyone for an issue that affects only users who have hoards of dragons. Only in this way I'll really be in peace with it.

I don`t like this change too... I always wanted to see all my dragons on one page....

I was having problems after my 400th dragon. I had a black bar on the background that started on my 413th dragon, and went to the end of my scroll. So I tried the pages, and it didn't work.

Now I still get the black bar after my 413th dragon, when I have my pages set to 500 dragons per sheet, but this time the bar does not continue to the next page.

EDIT: I took a Screenie of my scroll. I set my pages to 400 dragons thinking it would get rid of the black bar, and this is what the 2nd page looks like at the bottom:

user posted image

Edited by xeyla

(..)

Or maybe a button to View All Dragons when we click it, only we can't set it permanently as our preferred scroll viewing option.

Actually, this would be a great solution for me! As so many others here, I have never used pages on my scroll. I greatly prefer to see them all at once, so that it is simple to search for the name of the dragon I want, instead of having to go through pages to look for them. Having pages wouldn't bother me at all if I could have a "view all" button to hit when I intend to go through my regular breeding list smile.gif

That said, I know I will get used to having the pages in place. But a "view all" option would still definitely be appreciated smile.gif

Meh. I'm not fond of this, but I guess I'll have to get used to it. sad.gif

That said, I know I will get used to having the pages in place. But a "view all" option would still definitely be appreciated smile.gif

Seconded.

I don't like this change either. I liked to have all dragons on one page even though it was 1800 or so.

What I would prefer, if splitting up is really necessary, is to be able to put each breed on separate pages. That would make things really easy and convenient, instead of having to search on which page this one particular Lumina or the 5th last of the Embers was.

A 'View All' button would be great if the pages have to be permanent. Even if the view only lasted until the next refresh I would prefer to have the option to view my scroll like that if I wished.

Alternatively would a 'Search Scroll' feature be possible? So those that want to search for a particular dragon can do it within DC itself.

Edited by lulu_witch

Thanks for the info, though I'm not really affected by the update. I even found it an achievement when I reached my 2nd page...

Nooo....I like having one long page... Can we make it an option to have no pages, with the consequence of possibly not being able to view it properly?

Playing the devil's advocate, perhaps the 'problems' TJ mentions involve site lag/slowdowns/bandwidth consumption. He didn't necessarily mean users were the ones having trouble.

...Optimism notwithstanding, could you make it optional, TJ? If it's not a drain on your bandwidth, it would be convenient if I were able to view all my dragons as once.

Edit: *at

Edited by Sookan