Icepelt

Balance: A Homestuck Roleplay

((Been away due to...problems, sorry.))

fercif nice exotic name you got there is it customary to get such wacky names but your perception of wacky is probably different from mine and for a caste system Narkisa looked over Fercif's last question twice before answering. i think there might be a caste system of sorts in some places where if you are born to parents that are of a certain level in society you are in that level forever unless you shame yourself by marrying out of caste and become untouchables but now that's pretty uncommon on earth wait i guess there is a 'caste system' that is more widespread than the former basically the more money you make the higher you are on the social ladder it can change in an instant though If Fercif was sticking so close to his story of being an alien, perhaps there might be some credibility...Hmm.

Gliese once again returned her shaking hands to the keyboard, typing slowly.

Z? I don't have a hard time believing?

Z? I am juzt not too fond of contact with other worlderz? It'z not quite a fear, it'z juzt...?

She looked up from the computer, finding her lusus watching her from the doorway. The white lizard immediately turned and slunk away, leaving a nailgun just inside the room.

Z? It'z a diztruzt, I guezz?

Gliese quickly got up to retrieve the gun, returning to the husktop immediately afterwards. She brushed her hair behind her ears to better listen for suspicious sounds echoing around her hive.

"i suppose it is a cultural thing... our names are basically whatever our lusus gurgles out at us..." Fercif wasn't surprised by Narkisa's surprise. He didn't expect her to understand anything about troll culture, at least not at this point in time. Perhaps in the future, judging from his first conversation with her... but not now. He was surprised, not for the first time, that humanity hadn't established a mono-culture. The idea just... boggled his mind. He knew that some had strict hierarchies, like proper civilizations, but apparently most did not. There were even some that allowed everyone equal representation in government. "Simply preposterious..." He muttered to himself. "i personally find the idea of using monetary values to determine social caste a bit flawed... though perhaps that's simply because of my own planet's culture... i am unsure... but i hardly think it matters overly much..."

"i understand wht you feel that way," said Aeolus, his brow furrowing. His feelings were honestly a tad hurt by what the troll girl had said. Coming from someone of her race though, it was understandable. Trolls, based on what he had been taught in school, were vicious monsters that were born as killers from their first moments. Of course, Cherubs were the same, only they were actually capable of being civil. Trolls, on the other hand, were not, "I suure you though, there's not reason to be afraid. I wouldn't dream aof hurting a lad.yt Even if I wanted to, i couldn't touch you. Your kind exsits in a far different plane of exsistance than cherubs to. I'm not even in the same galaxy as you."

caste systems in general are starting to not be as rigid and prevalent here a lot of people don't like them She really did have to give it to this guy. He could start up some fascinating conversation. Whether or not it wasn't an elaborate joke was equally fascinating. None of the people who knew who she was acted like Fercif, at least not in the knowledge she had of them. If this was a prank, it would have to be one of them. Narkisa weighed the possibilities in her mind. A lot of the stuff being said by Fercif was indeed like a science fiction or fantasy novel, movie, what have you. How puzzling! so could you tell me about your culture i will try my best to understand and follow along Edited by Durppie

"explain about my culture...?" Fercif considered it. How could he? To do so, he'd have to explain from the very beginning... he wasn't even sure how much the human understood about troll physiology, which played a large part in Alternian culture. Beyond that, he wasn't so sure he wanted to share a lot of information about his planet with an alien. He supposed he could just skimp on the details... "surprisingly, there is a lot in common between troll and human culture... why...? i don't know... we have movies, video games, legal systems, all sorts of things in common... well, we don't have 'parents' like you do... we call them lusii... and we're no biologically related... aside from blood color..." Fercif had skimped on a lot of details, but he still felt like he had said a lot. Actually, he wasn't so sure if she understood the part about blood color since humans didn't have a hemospectrum, apparently. He looked up at his barbed horns, and considered that humans didn't have horns either. And apparently they had a bunch of different skin colors. Alien civilizations sure were weird! And inferior, since they all had the same disgusting, mutant blood color. Fercif thankfully kept from making many remarks about being biologically superior (because he was) mostly due to how familiar this human seemed with him when they first talked. Or last talked. Whatever...

((Just to let you know, I'll be on less often than I usually am. I may be gone for days at a time.))

huh that's the basic gist of it right nice stuff right there That was fairly simple to comprehend. A civilization could have many things in common with another one. The last part of blood color was another little head-scratcher in the conversation. So these aliens had different blood colors too? Was that part of their caste system? Judging from Fercif's question on an Earth caste system, she inferred his race had one. Narkisa typed another query, blinking once as she did so. blood color is that what your caste system revolves around i assume with such a noticeable biological quality it may play a role in your society

((Ah... that sucks... I can be patient, though.))

"of course... how else...?" Fercif was tempted to mock the human for her apparent stupidity. Of course that's what the Hemospectrum meant... Hemo being related to blood and spectrum meaning the wide range of colors trolls had in their veins. However, he refrained. There were some cultural differences, he supposed. "blood color determines one's caste... the higher you are on the spectrum also determines your lifespan... peasants live for only a fraction of your human lives while royalty can live through multiple centuries..." Fercif felt like he was trying, and failing, to educate a wriggler in the basics of everyday life. "higher blood also means an increased resistance to psychic energy... lowbloods are much more likely to develop psychic abilities, but are in turn more susceptible to other psychic abilities..." Fercif himself was not psychic, but he didn't think much of it. Most of the trolls he knew refused to even get close to him, so that was more or less a power unto itself.

wow technology that can cause time shenanigans and now psychic powers your civilization sure is interesting can't be too boring there can it Just when the conversation couldn't get any more zanier, it got zanier. Even if she really was being played for a fool by Fercif, perhaps she could hit him up for a conversation sometime later in the future. It would be pretty cool. Yep, and I'd have my second conversation with this guy. Well, first for him if the time shenanigans thing is to be believed. Narkisa grinned briefly, then changed the song she was listening to from Chopin's Raindrops to Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. Raindrops was nice. But if listened to for too long, it could be very sleep inducing. what would you be considered fercif high or low or just in between

((I'm really hoping we get some Time and Space players soon, just for the sheer ridiculousness of it all... alchemizing will be quite interesting, I think.))

"yes, our species is quite advanced..." Fercif typed. He would normally brag about how the troll empire had conquered many other races, but he refrained. On the one hand, he didn't want to scare the girl. On the other, should the empire decide to invade Earth, he didn't want to be blamed for warning them. "as for my position..." That was something a bit personal. Fercif was tempted to simply lie and say he was quite high on the Hemospectrum, since Humans apparently had no idea how it worked. But, that also meant that they probably didn't know how to treat superiors with natural deference. So, he opted to just tell the truth. "i'm fairly in the middle... not very high, but not low-blooded..." It wasn't untrue, though most high-bloods probably thought of him as a low-blood all the same. "oh, for future reference... all trolls, save for a few oddballs type in their blood color... their rank is kind of like... what do you humans call it...?" Fercif tried to wrack his think-pan on it. "it's like... a rainbow...! that's it... with red being lowest and fuchsia being the absolute highest..."

Dane sighed and at his usual gradual pace, made his way down the stairs with the help of his cane. His sister probably broke a plate or something... good thing he was wearing shoes, otherwise he wouldn't be able to see the glass and Dane'd probably have sliced-up feet. Not fun. "Sis? Where are you? Did you break something?" He called out. He heard movement, and he accurately guessed it was her. She was incredibly fast, but not silent. From the next room over, he could hear a few words of Japanese. She'd probably started watching an anime and left it on. "Sis, come on. Talk to me. I can't see you, so at least explain to me what's happening. Did you destroy a pot or something?" He walked a few more steps before bumping into something. The texture indicated a shirt, probably his sister's. "何をして、侵入されていますか? 私のテリトリーに徒歩圏内ですか?" Dane sighed when he heard the foreign words. Well, that certainly confirmed it. He knew of few people that A: could get into the house and B: spoke half-fluent Japanese. "Sis. Quit it. You know that I can't understand you." He heard her move again, probably kneeling to come to his height, as she often did. "はは楽しみでない......。 決して私の役割を果たします" Dane quirked an eyebrow. "Come on. English, Sis. I know you can speak it." A long pause came before "...末弟." It wasn't English, but it was one of the few phrases Dane actually understood. "より古い姉妹." He said in return. He couldn't see it himself, but his sister was smiling. She said a few more things in Japanese in a rather happy tone, none of which made any sense to Dane, and promptly left. Dane sighed, not getting the information he wanted. Whatever the commotion was about, he probably wouldn't find out until much later. His sister fancied herself well-versed in Japanese culture, which usually resulted in her pretending as though she were some character from one of the various Japanese shows she watched. Dane would occasionally play along, but when something was broken, he drew the line. Sometimes, it felt as though he were the more responsible one. Though, to her credit, she wasn't a terrible parent. His sister did her best to keep Dane well-fed, educated, housed, and entertained. She even went out of her way to help him play some of the strategy games he liked, which usually boiled down to him telling her where to click the mouse. Her occupation didn't immediately leap to the forefront of Dane's mind like he wanted it to, but he knew that she was incredibly busy most weekdays. It didn't diminish her spirit though, and Dane was secretly thankful for that. Feeling quite tired, the boy managed to make his way towards the couch before collapsing and half-listening to the television.

((何をして、侵入され... = Supposed to mean 'What are you doing intruder? Walking into my territory?' actually means 'What is the intrusion? I am walking in the territory?'

はは楽しみでない......。 = supposed to mean '...you are no fun. You never Role Play with me.' Actually means 'is not fun. ... I never played the role.'

末弟 = Younger Brother.

より古い姉妹 = Older Sister

Dane's sister understands Japanese quite well, but she doesn't speak it as well as she believes she does. Basic phrases are no problem for her, but when it comes to actual sentences, she quite often messes up in some way and doesn't know it. Dane doesn't know that she messes up, he just can't understand the majority of what she says. A few phrases however, he can remember.))

Edited by Blobblarg242

((Yeah, same. The RP really can't go anywhere without them. And I just noticed that my character types in the same color as Dirk... DX))

oh i think i get it warm colors are lower and shades like blue and purple are up top by the way green is a pretty neat color you know we humans must be like low bloods or whatnot to you seeing as we all have red blood Narkisa really did think green was a nice color. Well, most if not all colors were okay to the girl. But she would be dishonest if she said orange didn't have a place in her heart.

The clattering of metal on floor and short bursts of cursing ceased. Aunt Eliza must be done with her cookware cleaning. Generally, at this time her aunt would retreat to the living room to watch some sitcoms or run upstairs to peek in Narkisa's room to see what she was up to. Since there weren't any sounds of footsteps on the stairs, she had some privacy. For now.

"actually, humans aren't even on the Hemospectrum... your blood is a bizarre shade... candy colored... it doesn't register..." If he were telling the total truth, humans were mutants and he shouldn't even be talking to one. But for the strangest reason, he felt as though it were OK... like there was something important about getting along with this alien. "...anyway... what kind of games do you have...? surely your civilization isn't so boring as to not have come up with adequate entertainment..." It was a thinly veiled insult, but Fercif really couldn't help himself. It was troll nature to be jerks, even if they didn't really want to. It was one of the reasons why he felt odd simply talking to a human without flinging at least three insults per sentence. "i actually managed to get a hold of an interesting new game called SGRUB... unfortunately, it's multi-player only... so i won't likely be able to play any time soon..."

((Sorry I haven't been posting. My parents put a time limit on the internet and I can't wake up early enough to get on. D;))

While Gliese was thinking over the promise of not being harmed, she vaguely wondered how she was talking to the alien in real time. If he was in another galaxy, it should be taking years for the messages to go back and forth. Either one of them would be dead long before the conversation could be completed. But all the thinking of the long distance between she and the alien brought up an interesting subject. what course did evolution take all the way in that other galaxy?

Z? Interezting?

Z? I'm a little curiouz now? What do you, your zpeciez, I mean, look like?

Z? Alzo, you zpecifically?

She waited for his reply, drawing up several pictures in her mind what he might look like. For all she new, he could be some sort of skull monster.

"I could of sworne that aI already expleined that to you," said Aeolus, his brow furrowing slightly. Hadn't he just spoken to this alien girl a few minutes ago? Last time he had check, this particular troll had been speaking to him through a linear timeline. With a sigh, he still began to type up a small description of himself, "Well, I' a lot taller than most of you're kind. I'llg et to be several meters tall. we're all green will heads sililar to skulls. Out reeth ar ereally shapr and we have either lime green or cnady red bloode. My blood is red, and so are my eyes. Or, they were, before I went blind. Now they;re just veiny and whited over. That's according to my siblings and my mate of course. anyway, my species all have clawed feet and hands and our jaws can usually open very very wide."

Edited by Icepelt

sgrub sounds heck of a lot like sburb

sburb is also multiplayer and is pretty cool despite the review it got from a possibly inebriated article writer who didn't even play the game Narkisa didn't mind Fercif's somewhat passive aggressive manner. He wasn't that bad, especially when compared to some other people that she dealt with. Although this was only her first conversation with the alien. From the way things were going, she was probably likely to exchange words with him later. Narkisa drummed her fingers on her desk, and waited for more of his green text to pop up in the Pesterchum window. Speaking of Pesterchum, none of her chums were online. It was a bit strange, as generally at least one or two was there at this time. She didn't dwell much on the fact.

"that's interesting... i wonder if they're similar...? i wouldn't know how good it is yet... as previously mentioned, i am a bit short on compatriots for whom i can play with..." Fercif was genuinely rather surprised that there was a human analogue to the game he had procured. Well... 'procured' wasn't the best way to put it. As he heard it, some hacker had developed the code for the game from some carvings or something else equally as archaic, and the files were somehow online for anyone to pirate. Which is what the Olive-blood had done. It was what any self-respecting troll would do. Why pay for something totally free? True, the origin of the files was quite dubious... but not something Fercif thought on frequently. "your description of a game reviewer sounds vaguely familiar to GameGrubs... i really only keep the issues for the cover art..."

((I'm very much tempted to make a Troll Time character or a Space Cherub for the sake of moving things along...))

Dane woke up with a bit of a start, knowing something had just happened. Some noise... it was like the breaking sound he had hear before, but if he was being totally honest with himself, he wasn't in much of a mood to investigate or deal with his sister's shenanigans. Hauling himself off the couch, carefully feeling his surroundings with his cane, the boy managed to stand up without much commotion. 'I don't want to get her attention... I need to be as quiet as possible...' He thought to himself. Very quietly, Dane made his way towards the stairs ascending the steps at a very slow, deliberate pace. He'd fallen once when he had been younger. It was not an experience he wanted to relieve. His sister had warned him. She had warned her bro. But of course he had neglected to take her advice, being the impulsive child he had been. Dane now made it a point to never rush into things unnecessarily. Eventually, he reached his room and settled back into his chair. The text-to-speech hadn't indicated that he'd received any messages... perhaps none of his friends were online? "Oh well... someone will talk to me, eventually... I wouldn't mind talking to another of those strange 'aliens' again, actually."

Hyperion sighed, contemplating what exactly his next course of action should be. He'd learned from his 'friends' or rather, the few individuals who had decided to not leave him be, that there was a new game he should try. He had explained that, while he was as much a fan of games as anyone else, he wasn't sure if it was his cup of tea. They had insisted of course, and after much cajoling and a little extortion, Hyperion had decided to cave in and download the supplied files. He had no idea what the game was like, whether it was interesting or not, or really anything relevant towards his opinion of the game. Well, there was one thing that had been interesting... "...you'll be able to leave for new planets entirely" or something along those line. Of course, he had gotten no specifics, nothing crucial that would work towards resolving his indecision on the matter. 'There isn't much else I can do, is there?' He thought to himself. With a huff, he slid his chair over to his terminal and opened the chat client. There weren't many others online, at least, that Hyperion was willing to talk to. 'HeavensEnmity began Jeering...' the text prompted as he selected Aeolus from his short list of contacts. Hyperion typically 'jeered' other Cherubs, though on the rarest of occasions he was in a good mood, he'd set the prompt to 'cheer' instead. He did the same when talking to non-Cherubs as a matter of course, as he felt no disliking towards races that weren't as savage and brutal as his own. Or at least, he would do so if he had ever actually talked to a non-Cherub. He'd heard about them, but never chatted with one for various reasons. "hEy, whitE-EyEs. you thErE? i wantEd to talk to you about this stupid gamE. i mEan... what is it EvEn about? comE on... answEr mE. i am a busy individual and you arE not the only pErson i plan on talking to." This was a bit of a blatant lie, but Hyperion doubted Aeolus would know or more to the point, care.

Aeolus had waited for a response from his troll chat-mate for the longest time. After about an hour, he had gotten irritated with waiting and decided to get a drink. Exiting out of the chat, he got to his feet and strode to the fridge in his kitchen. On the way there, he nearly tripped over a pair of bright red shoes. Grumbling to himself, the cherub wandered over to his refrigerator and yanked out what appeared to be a bottle of some glowing liquid. Inside was what looked like bug legs and wings. The stuff was terrible for cherubs, as it poisoned their minds and left them disoriented. Of course, Aeolus didn't really care. It was just a way to calm him down and keep his mind free of things. Taking the bottle in his hand, he opened it and took a deep drink of it. Shuddering, he went back to his chair to see that someone had messaged him.

Putting on his headphones, he pressed a button on his computer that read out the message to him. A slight frown appeared on his face, and he took another sip of the firefly juice. Hyperion was so annoying. He always acted like he was better than everyone else. Oh, it was just like a lime-blood to act that way. Still, he was better and nicer than some of the other cherubs around, so Aeolus was stuck with him. "man, did you finally get the game. jeezz, i've been waiting long enough," Aeolus took a long sip of the juice, tipping his head back and letting it drip down his green cheeks, "You gotta' get yousr stuff together. anyway, i hav eno idea what this game is about. all ii know is that there are twoversions of the game, the server player and the cliant plater. which one do you have?"

((Firefly Juice: Fireflies are very dangerous for reptiles to eat. They give off a poison when threatened that can kill them. Since Cherubs seem to be based off of snakes, I figured that alcohol/drugs would have to do with fireflies.))

Hyperion sighed as he read what his 'friend' had said to him. 'Well, he's still blind.' Hyperion confirmed to himself, as evidenced by the various spelling errors that identified the message as one unmistakably from Aeolus. "i'll havE you know that my 'stuff', as you so EloquEntly idEntifiEd it, is in fact, quitE in ordEr." He responded, taking a second to check the files again for some clear indication of whether they were the Client or Server version. As with everything else pertaining to the game, the information was difficult to come by and incredibly obscure. After searching through the files, the Lime-Blood finally managed to identify just what he had put onto his computer. "it would appEar that i havE thE sErvEr vErsion of this gamE. i assumE this mEans i'll bE hosting you as a cliEnt. if that is the casE, you have no rEason to frEt. i assurE you, i am a most ExcEllEnt host." The Cherub took a second to scan the files once more in the vague hope he might be able to glean even the slightest bit of intent from the indescribably massive files that had lodged their way into his terminal. "i havE a quEstion for you first, howEvEr: i trust you havE Enough sEnsE not to bE chugging that uttErly rEpugnant liquid, but i fEEl thE urgE to ask anyway. arE you drinking any of that rEpulsive fluid? it can kill you, i hopE you know."

Edited by Blobblarg242

Aeolus rolled his eyes at Hyperion's words. He always spoke so formally. Now, it wasn't that Aeolus had a problem with it, as he spoke very respectfully to female cherubs, but this guy was only talking to him. Really, there was no reason to be so formal if you knew the person. Aeolus was about to pick at his companion for being such a freak, but as the words were fully processed, Aeolus paused. He was the server player. Now, what did that mean again? Tipping back in his chair, he allowed his claws to scratch slightly at his computer desk. Didn't that mean Hyperion would be manipulating his environment? Aeolus sort of hoped that he was wrong because he had no idea if he house was clean or not. Surely, blood covered the floors as well as empty bottles and cans of different flavors of firefly juice scattered the floor along with Special Stardust. Supposedly, the stuff was supposed to be eaten and not smoked because of the negative affects, but he still let his little "brother" do so anyway. That was, when he was around that was. More often than not, his brother was off doing whatever it was that he did. He was probably off being a hipster or something. The cherub suddenly leaned up when Hyperion mentioned him drinking the firefly juice. "Man, shut up," he typed as he took yet another swig from the bottle, "You're not the boss hfo me, and you can't tell me what to do. Dont'e tell me how to live mg e life/ I can stop when I wanr!"

Edited by Icepelt