LostLove

Dragon Stories

I mostly read fantasy, so I've read a lot. Some of my opinions on series:

Temeraire by Naomi Novik... I absolutely love the first 4 books. Great idea, having a dragon-fighting branch of the British military in the Napoleonic Wars. I love the characters and aspects of the dragons. Longwings are the best. laugh.gif But in reading the installments after the 4th book, it felt like something was missing.

Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey... I really like this series, although I do have some issues with parts of them. I love greenriders the best; I wish there were more books that had green/blue riders as protagonists. But besides that, I like the alien aspect of the books and the unique style/concepts.

Age of Fire by E.E. Knight... I liked the first 3, when each book followed a specific sibling. The following installments didn't impress me quite so much. But, I like reading through the point of view of a dragon, not a person. Wistala is awesome, but I have to say that my favorite was Dragon Outcast, with the Copper.

Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini... I liked it in the beginning, then the enthusiasm waned.

Dragonlance by various people... couldn't get into them.

There's more books that I do like, and those I don't, that are one-offs or shorter series. Too many really to mention. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Dimar

The Inheritance series was very good, though I still need to read the final book. The first Dragons of Pern I read in seventh grade and it entirely altered my view on dragons.

My favorite is Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly, which I would recommend to absoluteely anybody and everybody. *drool*

Dragonforge«« It is amazing!

Dragonseed«« Also amazing!

Legends of the Dragon Realm vol.II«« Astounding!

Eragon«« Awesome! Though I never got to finish it.

Maybe not strictly a dragon book, but has anyone tried The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherinne Valente? One of the major characters is a dragon named A-Through-L. Well, no, he's a wyvern. Well, no, he's have wyvern, half library. It . . . makes sense in context, and also, is awesome.

Also in my youth I was obsessed with the Pit Dragon series by Jane Yolen. Looooved them, but recently found the fourth and was less impressed--I don't think I even finished it, sadly.

Also, a good hearty "sup!" to all the people who already mentioned Patricia C. Wrede's books. biggrin.gif

Dragonlance: I've read practically every book written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (I can count around 17). My personal favorite book in the series is actually "The Dragons" by Douglas Niles (part of the Lost Histories cycle).

Tolkien: Lord of the Rings, Hobbit, Silmarillion, The Book of Lost Tales. I've read them all. And yes, there are dragons in Tolkien's stuff (Ancalagon, Glaurung, Scatha and obviously Smaug).

David Eddings: there's one bestial western dragon in The Belgariad and Malloreon. ...Klael from the Tamuli is technically a dragon (it looks like one on the official cover).

The Brothers Lionheart (Astrid Lindgren): one of my favorite fairytales, by one of my favorite fairytale authors. Astrid Lindgren was a genius who wrote about difficult subjects like death and love, but always made them easier for kids to understand (I laugh at Americans who always edit deaths in children's literature, changing them into something like "he moved away!"... overprotective buffoons). As for the dragon in this book, there's one called Katla as the monster of the story.

The Neverending Story (Michael Ende): there are two dragons here, Falkor and Smerg. I actually found the book rather boring (though I loved the movie a great deal).

The Spearwielder Trilogy (R. A. Salvatore): there's a villainous dragon called Robert in this series.

A Song of Ice and Fire (George R. R. Martin): though I haven't read past the second book. The novels are bricks and the changing of POVs is a bit tiring...

Harry Potter (J. K. Rowling): I've read books 1-5 (and seen the movies).

Eragon (Christopher Paolini): only read halfway through the first book.

Dragon Tamers (Emma Maree Urquhart): I've read the first book in this series and loved it. Emma was only 13 when she wrote this book and imho she has more talent than Paolini does.

Dragonology: I read "The Dragon's Eye" novel and liked it, too. I wish I knew who the actual author of the series is. xd.png

Dragonrealm (Richard A. Knaak): I've read the first book in the series, called "Firedrake". I wish somebody took up the rest of the books and translated them into Finnish.

The Illustrated Book of Myths (Neil Philip): there are quite a few dragons in mythology. I got this book when I was around 10 years old and I still read it every now and then. xd.png I've been a mythology fangirl for such a long time~ (My newest purchase is The Mabinogion. <3)

Myths & Legends (Philip Wilkinson): I got this book recently, due to aforementioned mythology obsession.

I've read many of those already mentioned, but I'd like to add a couple that I didn't see posted in case someone wants some fresh recommendations!

Daughter Of Dragons by Kathleen H. Nelson - was a cheap Kindle book I downloaded with no real hope for, but it turned out to be really good.

The Memory Of Flames series by Stephen Deas (begins with 'The Adamantine Palace'). A rough, gritty fantasy series with dragons pretty much the centre around which the plot revolves.

I'll actually have to think about this one. As an Anne McCaffrey fan I have read all of the Dragonriders of Pern books to date, including the ones authored by her son Todd McCaffrey.

Okay Tolkien's books if you are being broad minded about Dragons.

How could I forget? Mercedes Lackey and her series including Joust

Andre Norton And the ElvenBane, Elven Blood. The dragons make the books.

I know I have read quite a few more showcasing dragons, but my memory isn't what it once was.

How could I forget? The wonderful adventures of Hiccup and Toothless in the How to Train Your Dragon Series.

Edited by DustyBelle

It will take me a while to remember them all, but for a start: The Hobbit, most of the earlier Pern books, and most of the books about Temeraire. I'll add more as I recall them.

ETA: Oh! And the Dragonback series by Timothy Zahn!

ETA2: And I agree with the comment above that after the first 4 books, the Temeraire series is missing something. Excitement, maybe?

Edited by Jennie

Hi,

I've read loads of dragon books,

The Last Dragon Chronicles

Wyrmweald (only the first one)

Dragons of Ordinary Farm and its sequal

The Dragonology Chronicles

Dragon Orb series

Dragonskin Slippers (only the first one)

Dragon Rider

The Dragon Keeper trilogy (Carole Wilkinson)

The Dragon Whisperer

Shadow of the Dragon (only two, I don't know if there is any others because it had a bit of a false ending)

My favourite dragon books are below...

Eragon and the rest of the inheritance cycle

How To Train Your Dragon and the rest of the books (bit young for me now but it was the first proper novel I ever read)

The Last Dragonslayer and sequal (A bit odd but a good book)

Seraphina (Again a bit odd and it takes a few pages to get used to the way it's written)

My favourite book of all time though is The Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb (I've only read the first two but I loved them and are really excited to read the third and the forth. Sadly there are only four books)

biggrin.gif

Oh there is:

-The Inheritance Cycle

-Dragon Rider

-The Age of Fire series

-The Rain Wild chronicles

-Legends of the Dragon Realm

-The Dragon's Eye

I discovered Legends of the Dragonrealm over the summer and I really loved them. One of my favorite series now. happy.gif

Edited by Dimar

Did anyone ever read Kate McMullan's Dragon Slayers Academy books? Meant for elementary school/ Middle school readers these books are amazing! They tell the story of a group of young medieval students at a boarding school run by a miser which attempts to train likely lads to be Dragon Slayers and bring home to the headmaster the slain dragon's Gold. Our hero is Wiglaf, a poor peasant boy who somehow manages to become a student at DSA. He can't stand the sight or thought of blood and violence but would love to achieve fame and wealth which dragon slaying can bring.

I also love the bits in the Harry Potter series which deal with Harry's and Charlie's interactions with the dragons of his own Universe. And Pern's dragons are just amazing. Oh how I want a fire lizard or Dragon of my own. Any color would do just fine. I must admit I would not like butchering the meat for it. Ah, That reminds me of the Sanctuary books and the dragons they deal with in that series. Dragons, mysterious, intriguing amazing and most of all magical.

Eragon

Dragon Prince Trilogy (Melanie Rawn)

Book 1 of the Dragon Star trilogy (sequel to Dragon Prince Trilogy)

Dragonology

It's not really about dragons, but there are dragons in the story:

The Witches of Eileanan series (Kate Forsyth)

Eragon

Fairy Tail (Includes a Dragon)

The 4 Dragon Kings (Mini Story)

Some others that I don't exactly remember...

Everything I've read has already been mentioned, except for Kenny and the Dragon. It's probably meant for kids less than eight, but it's a dragon story.

I've read the Wings of Fire series, Dragonsdale series (unless they added more), Dragon Rider, and Dragon Egg. (I really recommend the Wings of Fire series to anyone who hasn't read it! It's AMAZING!)

Dragonkeeper series by Carol Wilkinson

I love it so much!

Though found the 4th, Blood Brothers, really boring :/

Read the first three Eragon books, Last Dragon Chronicles (The Fire Within, Icefire, Etc.), and probably many more. I just like dragons, I guess.

I've read all of the "Dragonslaying is for Dreamers" books by Dave Marks.

I love dragon stories. I have read Dragonology, Dragon Rider, and The Fire Within.

What have you read?

I loved the Dragonology book. All those little pockets and the artwork and whatnot. I also recently bought Dragon Rider at a Goodwill. I first read it a few years ago and it was good. smile.gif

Other dragon books I've read:

Dragons in our Midst -(awesome series)

Jeremy Thatcher Dragon Hatcher -(loved that book as a kid)

And a new series I found called "Wings of Fire" It reminds me a lot of Dragon Cave. I just started reading the first book yesterday and it's pretty awesome so far. Has anyone else read it?

Edited by Syiren