The Cataclysm

Sleep Patterns

I don't think there's another thread like this (though there is one about dreams( so I wanted to know How you sleep, like deep, or when you sleep, like the day.

Personally I sleep very deeply and I'm scared to death if you touch me and I'm asleep. I also have developed this habit where I only sleep in the day, normally from around 7 or 8 a.m. to 3 or 4 p.m. Then I stay up all night, and this habit formed when school was out!

I stay up till twelve or one at night an wake up around ten in the morning. It used to be, until a couple of months ago, I would go to sleep around nine in the evening and wake up at five in the morning T.T I want my old sleeping pattern back!

My weekend pattern was the same as the first one you described. But now there's no school so yeah.....

My preferred sleeping pattern is going to bed at around 8 or 9pm and getting up at 5 or 6 am, or maybe "only" at 7am.

I need lots of sleep and have trouble falling asleep if there's noise. People talking is the worst, even if they are whispering and I can't understand a word it still keeps me wide awake.

I generally have much trouble falling asleep and also my sleep is very light - I wake up on the slightest noise. I used to have an alarm clock that you could turn off by slapping the button on its top - this alarm clock hardly ever made it to the second "beep" because I woke up so fast and turned it off. It was a "beep- SLAM!".

As I live in a student's housing getting sleep is quite a problem and generally I'm not able to keep up my desired sleeping pattern -.-

On another note, there is also a thread on insomnia. Perhaps it would be a good idea to open a thread on sleep and dreams in general? ~.ô

Edited by Bardess

I go to bed around 12 then wake up anywhere from 8 to 11

Now that school's out, I've gotten into the bad habit of staying up until 1 to 3 am and sleeping in anywhere from 10 to 12. It doesn't work to well when I have work early on Saturdays, though...I just have to suffer through grogginess.

But I do sleep very deeply, dream a lot too.

My 'pattern' tends to go all over the place. Currently I'm stuck unable to fall asleep before around 6am, no matter how hard I try, and I end up sleeping until like 2 or something...

Typically I go to bed a bit later, usually around 2 or so, and get up between 10 and noon, though.

I also alternate between deep and light sleep. No real pattern to how that goes...

But I usually need two or three or even four alarms set to go off at different intervals, and one of them is across the room from me, because once I -do- fall asleep, I'm likely to fall right back to sleep once I wake up. xd.png

If I have it my way, I'll go to bed around 1:00 and wake up at 8:30. That's how I sleep on weekends and holidays. For school I go to bed at 11:00-12:00 and wake up at 6:30 DX

I work third shift (Anywhere between 9pm to 8am) so I have no choice but to sleep during the day. I hate it. I'm not able to have a real social life because I am asleep when others are up doing things. My best friend has insomnia and almost never sleeps so when I am with him I can actually do things with real people but he lives in a different state so I'm not able to see him too often.

I need a lot of sleep; at the very least 9 hours to be able to fully function. Sometimes I can sleep up to, and way past, 12 hours. I love sleeping. I always have. I'm not a light sleeper but I'm not an incredibly heavy sleeper. Sometimes my alarm clock wakes me up, other times I sleep right through it. It all depends on the day I had before.

Sleeping patterns are foreign to me. ;-; I can never stick to one. Current one I'm stuck in is going to bed at 7-9 in the morning and waking up at 5:30. I want out of this one!

I got to sleep at about 10 pm and wake up at 7 feeling refreshed. I'm a deep sleeper and I sleep on my stomach. c:

Lately, I've been getting to sleep at around 10:30 (Slow season at work means a lot fewer late nights) and getting up around 7. If I go to bed after 11, for whatever reason I'm up at 6:30. But I'd like to sleep until my 7:45 alarm for a change. Late nights will start up again at the end of the summer.

I go to bed any time past 10PM and wake up at 10 on the dot. I sleep on my right side and wake up on my left, I get more energetic as I get tired, and sleepy when I wake up. I slept through a strong earthquake once so I guess I'm a rather deep sleeper.

I go to bed around 1 AM (sometimes later if it's during the school year, especially if I've got some programming assignments) and wake up about 9-ish. I sometimes take naps, more this past year than ever before.

My ideal sleeping habit is going to bed at 11-12 PM and waking around 6:30 AM. Now during the summer I am going to bed at 4 AM and waking around Noon or 1 PM.

Has anyone looked into Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (DSPS)? I think I have it, although I haven't been diagnosed by a doctor. It is when your head runs on a 25, 26, or even 27+ hour day instead of a 24 hour day, so you always feel like you should be staying up an extra hour each night.

Before school ended I was extremely tired in the morning and I was falling asleep on the bus. In the afternoon I was very awake and then I crashed again around dinner time. I'm thinking DSPS caused this, but I'm very glad its now summer so that I can sleep when I need it. Now I don't have to force myself to sleep or stay awake at certain times...

There is a thing called Advanced Sleep Phase Syndrome (ASPS), which is basically the opposite of DSPS, but it doesn't sound like any of you have it.

I know I'm not an insomniac, because when I do fall asleep (usually on my couch because I can't sleep in my bed), I sleep like the dead. My sleeping on the couch started around February when my cat died and I started into a depression-like downward spiral. I had a lot of memories of my cat and I in my room so I think that the stress of it caused my anxiety about sleeping in my bed. I tried sleeping in my room last night but I was extremely restless and didn't fall asleep until about 5 AM.

Well, if DSPS is true, then I have it. I do all of those things in the school year. Go to bed at 11 pm wake up at 6:30am sleep till 7:50am, stay awake till either 6 pm or 11 pm and the cycle repeats.

I sleep like this: ZZZZZZZ...

LOOOOOL.

Sleep-talking is not uncommon for me, much to the hilarity of anyone within hearing distance. Don't have the luxury of sleeping an entire day away though, so it's late to bed early to rise for me.

Insomniac shift worker - I sleep when I collapse.

I usually go to sleep at about 11 on a school night, but on a non-school night (Friday, Saturday, Holidays) I will stay up on ny laptop till about 2:00 or 3:00 AM and wake up at about 7 to go back on my laptop...

Currently...4:02 am where I am so that says a lot

My problem is that I have a very active mind

most people settle down when it starts to get late.

not me. I am always thinking. Always thinking. Always thinking. Its like when you have a song stuck in your head and that's all you think about for a while. That's me but its not a song, its thinking about the future or the past or my hobbies or my friends or my job or what I had for lunch or what I read on the Internet hours before or the vastness of the universe or my insignificance in the interworkings of American society.... its always something like that. Every hour of every day since I learned to form coherent thoughts.

I only sleep when my body gives out from exhaustion...reguardless of how early I have to get up in the morning.

Currently...4:02 am where I am so that says a lot

My problem is that I have a very active mind

most people settle down when it starts to get late.

not me. I am always thinking. Always thinking. Always thinking. Its like when you have a song stuck in your head and that's all you think about for a while. That's me but its not a song, its thinking about the future or the past or my hobbies or my friends or my job or what I had for lunch or what I read on the Internet hours before or the vastness of the universe or my insignificance in the interworkings of American society.... its always something like that. Every hour of every day since I learned to form coherent thoughts.

I only sleep when my body gives out from exhaustion...reguardless of how early I have to get up in the morning.

Go to the insomniacs thread, there are some ideas on how to deal with it.

Btw, I have the same problem as you. It's horrible. It's like being next to a very chatty person who doesn't need to inhale, 24/7... and that person is your own mind -.-

My schedule changes daily. Sometimes I fall asleep at 8 AM, other times I wake up at 4 AM... right now I've been waking up at 5 AM and falling asleep at 7 PM.

Woah, all of these patterns seem horrible! I wouldn't be able to function.

When I was younger I had sleeping problems too,

every night I was struggling (like some of you mentioned I would do a lot of thinking)

to fall asleep and everyday in school I would be extremely tired.

Then I discovered that tea basically has the same effect as coffee.

Back then I would drink at least 3 cups a day and always one before I went to bed.

I then stopped drinking tea and it worked wonders.

I am happy to say I have a normal sleeping pattern now smile.gif.

So maybe cutting down on the caffeine would be helpfull for some of you too.