Sinister-by-Nature

Disabilities?

I hope this isn't a duplicate, I've done a quick search and couldn't find anything.

So, do you have any disabilities? Does your family have any disabilities? If you feel like it, share them here. This isn't a topic to discus your views on disabled people or be hurtful, its simply a place to share your disabilities with others and possibly find others with the same conditions. Also, if your like me, its a good place to educate yourself on things like this.

~~~

My brother has Arthrogryposis, a condition where he has weak muscles and can't bend his limbs or wrists. He has had multiple operations done and can now bend his arms part way. We were told he would never be able to sit up himself- My gosh where the doctors wrong. He runs about and fly kicks you as you walk in the door and does rolly pollies and splits and other things I could never dream of doing... He's only 6! He is wild!

I do have one. Generalized dystonia. It's also called idiopathic torsion dystonia, though I didn't start having symptoms as a child like most people who have generalized dystonia do. It has as symptoms, variously over the years, dystonia (obviously--that means "bad muscle tone"), dyskinesia (bad movement), chorea-athetosis (a writhing dance-like motion), stuttering (when it all gets in my mouth and throat), paroxysmal dystonia and dyskinesia (episodes of severe dystonia and dyskinesia that resemble seizures), plenty of pain, and a bit of spasticity.

Sometimes it's much too much of a pain in the butt to walk so I use a wheel chair, but most of the time I can get around without one.

Good to hear your brother is doing so well!

My sister and I have CVID, or Common Variable Immune Deficiency. My B-cells don't make antibodies like they are supposed to, so my IgG and IgA antibody levels are extremely low while my IgM antibody level is extremely high. Due to my lack of antibodies, I am prone to getting sick a lot more than everyone else, especially with upper respiratory diseases, such as nasty colds, flu, and pneumonia. In order to prevent me from being unable to fight off invading pathogens, I am given treatments every week of IgG antibodies through my skin. I used to get them through my vein every month, but they were not frequent enough to prevent me from getting "down" periods, which was the week right before I got it being a time I got sick very often.

With my treatments, my condition is still pain, but now can be considered manageable. I can go to school like anyone else and I can do normal things most of the time. But due to my genetic disorder, I will most likely always have to miss more days of school or work than everyone else due to exaggerated illnesses.

I got ADD and my sisters think that I am dislexic and possibly more stuff but IDK since I was never tested for anything.

My friend has Dyspraxia and Dyslexia, and I don't have anything... Does anyone know the difference between the two?

I have crippling stupidity some days - but I don't think that counts.

I don't have any disabilities, but my sister (a year younger), has a learning disability and a little mentally challenged.

@blueninja41: Dyspraxia is where it affects your motor skills like coordination, planning movement, and things like that. And Dyslexia is a reading disability where they can't recognize and process certain symbols/letters.

Edited by yuumei

My aunt has skitzophrania so did my dad and grandmother.. And my mum is bipolar. But I think I'm fine, for the most part.

I don't seem to have anything, but my sister has been disabled since birth - she's got epilepsy. It doesn't seem to be much of a problem, safe for her dyslexia and terrible handwriting. She also can't take part in vigorous sports because the added stress can make it worse. Nobody's sure why she has it.

Also almost everyone on my mother's cousin's side have schizophrenia, but I haven't met many of them.

I'm knock kneed; my knees touch but my ankles dont. My knees have grown inwards and look unsightly. My father mentioned me to walk with duck feet. I have difficulty closing my legs due to the deformed leg bones. I have been flat footed for years but unsure if that is linked to knock knees. I'm overweight at the BMI of 27+ though. Trying to find alternatives other than bone surgery to correct that leg deformity of mine. So, feel free to discuss the topic here.

I have an autistic sister. Speaks in frases, rocks/jumps, dislikes noises she doesn't have controll over, doesn't care much for people. She's a pretty classical case. I've also worked at an autism camp, one week with a kid with autism, another week with a kid with aspergers. It was supposed to be part work part course apparently, for we had a couple of lectures about autism/aspergers and got a diploma. So yeah, autism is one of the topics I know I know a lot about. I'm considering working in autism research when I get out of school and whatnot, but I'm still not too sure.

I've also worked a bit with kids with Downs, though not nearly as much.

As for myself, I don't have anything. Though I have picked up a couple traits from my sister, mostly the rocking. My mother thought it was a 'comfort movement' at first, but now it's started to become rare for me not to have my upperbody moving back and forth, or side to side. Of course, I rarely notice myself... Makes it slightly awkward when people ask 'what are you doing?' since I actually don't have an answer.

My brother has ADHD and my sister might have ADD, but those aren't really severe "disabilities." On the other hand, my dad is bipolar.

Well.. folks wouldn't know it talking to me unless they're really well trained to look for the signs, but I have high-functioning aspergers.

Diagnosed back when I was in 9th grade officially (though my stepbrother called it long before then). I can't handle emotional stress all that well - definitely not at the time of the official declaration, I tend to stutter when I get excited and mix up little words, and while incredibly intuitive on some aspects, I can't process subtle jokes as quickly as someone without aspergers.

The funky quirks about it all? I'm able to tolerate more extreme temps than most people (like running out barefoot on snow in the middle of winter to take the garbage to the bin around the other side of the house and going, ".. what cold?"), picking up smells and sounds other folks wouldn't be able to detect, an intense capability to focus and pick up normally missed details - very handy when it comes to arting. These autistic traits also lend to a bit of an odd OCD trait as well, I like being organized, but my method of being organized outside of work makes people think I'm a little bit of a 'clean slob' - yet everything has their general 'zone' with clothes in one spot near the basket, craft supply bags at the foot of my bed, and immediate projects around my desk with a path through it all.

Since I was diagnosed I sought out a councilor to help me learn how to cope and manage with aspergers, so now I can walk up to someone and they wouldn't even think that there's something going on with me unless I mention it. I've been without counciling help for roughly 3 years and coasting fine.

Mouthful I know, but it's the best way to describe my particular condition.

Edited by TaesoSpiritDragon

I'm another one of the Aspergers gang, although in my case it wasn't diagnosed until I started having problems at work in my 20's.

Good chace there's now something else going on - but we're still in the diagnostic process for that, so...

Just like almost every kid born in the 90's, I am diagnosed with ADD, and have a slight case of insomnia. I feel I have my ADD in check though, still can't sleep all that well.

I have ADHD, but I don't quite consider it a disability. That is, when I take my medicine. My ADHD is actually the source of my art and ideas. With my medicine. When I don't take it then I get major art and writer's block.

I have ADHD, but I don't quite consider it a disability. That is, when I take my medicine. My ADHD is actually the source of my art and ideas. With my medicine. When I don't take it then I get major art and writer's block.

I feel that way as well, I take my meds every once in a while, but I feel like its something I just gotta control through will.

That's a rather interesting font, kind of a hark back to the 70's/80's style fonts while still being easy on the eyes for those who aren't dyslexic.

On the off-hand it could also make a nifty comic font for those three-four panel one-off strips..

I'm not dyslexic, but I wonder if anyone who is has tried this font that's supposed to help people with dyslexia read easier: http://dyslexicfonts.com/

Interesting. TBH (I'm not dyslexic), that font makes me dizzy, though.

I'm a self-suspected Aspie. Always have been, ever since I learned about Asperger's, and my life ever too often confirms that suspicion. Too bad autism by default doesn't get diagnosed in adults in my country, afaik.

Edited by lightbird

My sister and I have CVID, or Common Variable Immune Deficiency.  My B-cells don't make antibodies like they are supposed to, so my IgG and IgA antibody levels are extremely low while my IgM antibody level is extremely high.  Due to my lack of antibodies, I am prone to getting sick a lot more than everyone else, especially with upper respiratory diseases, such as nasty colds, flu, and pneumonia.  In order to prevent me from being unable to fight off invading pathogens, I am given treatments every week of IgG antibodies through my skin.  I used to get them through my vein every month, but they were not frequent enough to prevent me from getting "down" periods, which was the week right before I got it being a time I got sick very often. 

With my treatments, my condition is still pain, but now can be considered manageable.  I can go to school like anyone else and I can do normal things most of the time.  But due to my genetic disorder, I will most likely always have to miss more days of school or work than everyone else due to exaggerated illnesses.

This.

Well, my doctors think I have it. Sadly, I haven't been treated yet, so I'm still always sick. I have been on 27 antibiotics in 12 months. I've missed 6 days of school so far, and we started barely a month ago.

I also have bilateral high-frequency hearing loss.

Well...

I'm a Type 1 diabetic.

For anyone who doesn't fully understand what this means, for a Type 1, it means that your pancreas has quit producing insulin and thus cannot regulate your bloodsugar like it would a normal person. This means that you must check your bloodsugar frequently and take the insulin you body can't produce via shot.

I was diagnosed when I was about 6 years old, in the 1rst grade. When it first started out, being that young, I just went along with the flow. From what I can remember, I had to take a shot every morning (I think about 9 units of Insulin) and about the same at lunch and dinner.

I remember when I was first diagnosed, how confused I was when my mother put bluntly, "It means you can't have sugar," I was in the hospital for 3 days I think, and I remember IVs, and the doctors coming in to explain how to take a shot, where to take it (in my arm, leg, or stomach) and how to do everything.

I've held up with it fine, until recently. After 7 years (and I dread the years to come in my future) with this (yes, I'm only 13, going on 14), I've found it annoying. I'm constantly wishing that I could just eat like a normal person. Go places without worrying about suffering from a low-bloodsugar attack.

Let me attempt to explain what low/high bloodsugar feels like. Low-bloodsugar makes you feel horrible. My best way to try to explain it is something like this: you know that feeling when you're really nervous or you've got your adrenaline going? Have that times 2 plus feeling like you need to sit down, eat a lot of food, and go to sleep.

Very high blood-sugar is equally bad. You feel like drinking 50 gallons of water and it can make you really nauseated and sick. I personally have more problems with lows than highs, but well. I've had my fair share of both, and let me tell you now, it's not fun.

Anyways, every time before I eat a meal, I must check my bloodsugar, and take a shot according to what I'm eating and what my blood actually is.

Having diabetes also means that my immune system is especially weak; I get an ear/sinus infection almost every month, and constantly miss school due to this. Being sick also spikes my bloodsugar, making me have to check my blood more often and also take more shots.

Diabetes has also placed an impact on my thyroid, although I'm not really sure what (I've forgotten since my last endocrinologist appointment) but I think it's the reason why I'm only 4 foot 11 xd.png

Anyways. I've coped with this technically over half my life, so I suppose I'm stuck with it until either a cure is found (I so very hope one is in my life time) or I get pushed off the top of a building (BBC Sherlock reference!) or something.

Well. I suppose that's the end of my story up to this point in time...

My mom has M.S., (multiple schlorosis) She's in constant pain, and she has to gove herself injections 3 times a week. sad.gif

I have a laundry list of issues:

Autistic, mild arthritis in both wrists, moderate Carpal Tunnel in both wrists, legally blind, Fibromyalsia, and Pain syndrome. I also have Scoliosis (sp?)