Red2111

Discussion on View Bombing

I've been viewbombed twice already today sad.gif

nearly screwed up a trade for me by hatching one of my eggs too..

It's not only a matter of view bombing. Someone has been posting my eggs on hatcheries without my permission, sometimes endangering them, but even when they're not in danger of dying, it's infuriating to me.

For example, my hatchlings were close to 4 days when I went to bed last night. I was looking forward to posting them on a hatchery and watching them grow up. Instead, some interfering idiot posted them for me, like I'm so helpless or so stupid I can't do this myself. The hatchlings were in no danger of dying, at just under 4 days.

I've now fogged my scroll, and I think I'll have less to do with posting here and on other DC discussion groups. If this kind of thing doesn't stop, I'll probably have a lot less to do with the DC in general.

It's not only a matter of view bombing. Someone has been posting my eggs on hatcheries without my permission....

That IS a part of viewbombing.....

...That IS a part of viewbombing.....

I know, but what I mean is, it's not only a case of someone killing eggs out of spite or whatever. I believe the person who posted my hatchlings did it because they thought I needed help. They took away the happiness I'd been looking forward to, of watching my dragons grow up. I'm saying there are other effects besides killing someone's dragons.

I have to say, I'm quite frustrated with the constant "no passwords on hatcheries, it would be too much work" argument. Every browser out there will remember a login for you! So you bookmark the login page, your browser fills it in, all you have to do is click the "log in" button and then add your scroll. One mouse click is not adding any work or frustration to you! But it will add frustration to viewbombers and make it that much harder for them to kill our eggs. I find the argument specious, while the addition would make it infinitely safer and less frustrating for those of us who HAVE been targeted.

I have to say, I'm quite frustrated with the constant "no passwords on hatcheries, it would be too much work" argument. Every browser out there will remember a login for you! So you bookmark the login page, your browser fills it in, all you have to do is click the "log in" button and then add your scroll. One mouse click is not adding any work or frustration to you! But it will add frustration to viewbombers and make it that much harder for them to kill our eggs. I find the argument specious, while the addition would make it infinitely safer and less frustrating for those of us who HAVE been targeted.

Like I said. I am not sure I am entirely opposed to a password on hatcheries IF it were an option.

Some people might want it and that is fine.

Others wouldn't want it, and I would like it best if it was something a person could turn on or off if they wanted. That way, those find that they are being targeted could give themselves some extra protection, while those who don't see the need wouldn't have to have it. I might also add that having the browser remember the password would ONLY work if the bomber happened not to live in your house. Some people have evil siblings and roomies... or so I have heard.

I'm not seeing that argument much, here.

Even if it were numerous, though, it's moot, because that's not the biggest hurdle to that solution working. There are two hurdles to solving this on a hatchery level:

Hatcheries aren't the only source of clicks and views, and some forums are much better for view bombing than all the hatcheries put together, meaning that any change to the hatcheries isn't going to stop view bombing.

Secondly, using the login feature of the API requires API access. Not all sites have that and it's not in their power to accelerate the process. tongue.gif

Like I said. I am not sure I am entirely opposed to a password on hatcheries IF it were an option.

Some people might want it and that is fine.

Others wouldn't want it, and I would like it best if it was something a person could turn on or off if they wanted. That way, those find that they are being targeted could give themselves some extra protection, while those who don't see the need wouldn't have to have it. I might also add that having the browser remember the password would ONLY work if the bomber happened not to live in your house. Some people have evil siblings and roomies... or so I have heard.

This - absolutely.

Why I don't want one is that it is easy enough to viewbomb without using hatcheries, so there seems little point.

Well i hid my scroll after being viewbombed several times a day for a few days, i dont like it but atleast i wont have to fog everything every time i step away from the computer.

I approve of password verification for adding scrolls, eggs, hatchies to click sites.

(someone keeps adding my scroll to all the click sites, and I have to keep unchecking everything)

Hi everyone. I'm glad this thread was brought up as it's been over a month now since I stopped using hatcheries all together as my eggs are getting ridiculous amounts of views without.

I only ever used Silvi's Lair and occasionally NDER for an er but recently I've been view bombed pretty badly. I have my scroll name hidden but, being a breeder/gifter, I try to avoid hiding my scroll completely. I couldn't understand where my eggs were as I still didn't know all the hatcheries.

I have only just discovered Valley Sherwood (which I have never used and didn't even know about) and low and behold...... all my eggs/hatchies were in there. >_>

I wish there was a way of controlling or at least knowing where our eggs are without having to go one by one through all the usual hatcheries. sad.gif

Maybe using a script to run where the past views came from or running thru the hatcheries to see if your scroll is in it? Would this be considered an unfair advantage though?

Just to mention, having seen capped View rates suggested several times:

since some dragons require many more Views (here, using this term to indicate all 3 varieties of numbers assisting draconic survival) than others, and since ERing necessitates a high rate of Views to be given quickly, the site limiting the rate/number of Views possible in any given period would severely impede regular dragon raising, and prevent the rescue of eggs/hatchies running out of time.

And, as has been pointed out, fansites are far from being the only places where dragons can be posted/Viewbombed, so passwords, unfortunately, solve nothing.

The only sort of feasible suggestions I've so far encountered (sad - and annoying - but true) which might at least help include that of a multi-Fogging/unFogging action, to facilitate fast protection for multiple vulnerable dragons where people do not want to/cannot hide their scrolls, but need to, whenever leaving their scrolls unattended.

There was also a suggestion made, (of which I vaguely recall reading at some point,) for some kind of shield similar to Fog for dragons in Teleports, which would prevent Views reaching the dragon but allow its lineage to remain visible, which would certainly prevent trades from being spoiled/dragons in transit being killed and makes all kinds of sense.

If the two could be programmed into a single action, ideally involving a check-off system, this would be delightful and make DC life much happier - and many dragons a lot less Sick/dead.

I like the idea of an action for hiding all growing creatures instead of the whole scroll. It would basically be the opposite of 'hide all adults'. We could show adults for those who want to check lineages for breeding etc but at the same time have all eggs/hatchies safely hidden without having to fog them one by one.

The only sort of feasible suggestions I've so far encountered (sad - and annoying - but true) which might at least help include that of a multi-Fogging/unFogging action, to facilitate fast protection for multiple vulnerable dragons where people do not want to/cannot hide their scrolls, but need to, whenever leaving their scrolls unattended.

There was also a suggestion made, (of which I vaguely recall reading at some point,) for some kind of shield similar to Fog for dragons in Teleports, which would prevent Views reaching the dragon but allow its lineage to remain visible, which would certainly prevent trades from being spoiled/dragons in transit being killed and makes all kinds of sense.

There was also the suggestion of doing away with sickness altogether. And the idea of counting views/clicks only if a certain referrer is sent (e.g. "lair.silverdrak.de"), with a per-user custom whitelist. The first one would take care of the problem altogether. The latter would help drastically, especially with the recent addition of a per-IP view limit (that's been making fansite cyclers a bit less effective, from what I understand? I haven't actually paid attention to the change, this is second-hand knowledge ohmy.gif).

The multi-fogging is a good idea, though; but it still means you need to catch the view bombing when it happens. I'm also a great fan of the shield-while-in-teleport option. smile.gif

Generally speaking, I maintain the only way to really solve this issue is to change something server-side. All client-side tweaks are (unfortunately) just band-aids. sad.gif

There was also the suggestion of doing away with sickness altogether. And the idea of counting views/clicks only if a certain referrer is sent (e.g. "lair.silverdrak.de"), with a per-user custom whitelist. The first one would take care of the problem altogether. The latter would help drastically, especially with the recent addition of a per-IP view limit (that's been making fansite cyclers a bit less effective, from what I understand? I haven't actually paid attention to the change, this is second-hand knowledge ohmy.gif).

The multi-fogging is a good idea, though; but it still means you need to catch the view bombing when it happens. I'm also a great fan of the shield-while-in-teleport option. smile.gif

Generally speaking, I maintain the only way to really solve this issue is to change something server-side. All client-side tweaks are (unfortunately) just band-aids. sad.gif

Very true!

But I dunno how well the doing away with Sickness suggestion is likely to do, although on the other hand, TJ himself did suggest that Fog BSA, which would beat heck out of nothing for a number of us.

I know I'd personally rather see that sort of life-saving-when-in-a-hurry multi-Fogging as an action rather than dependent on having collected enough of any particular sprites, but I suppose the theory is that newer people will risk losing fewer dragons if they have to 'shut that down right now and come to' supper/shopping/practice/bed, whatever, and haven't time to individually Fog on their possibly slow computers.

People trading are pretty much sitting ducks right now, since Fogging spoils the posted Teleport for the trade, even when it saves the dragon, and those dragons which are kept so carefully from hatching/maturing by their owners, once Viewbombed cannot variously then be gendered by the recipient's choice/may grow up on the trader's scroll, even if they live - not a good situation at all...

I've noticed fewer people on the fansites that show numbers for that, but thanks! I had no idea of this new per-IP view limit and am probably wasting much of my Viewing time, which could be why fewer people are seemingly on wasting theirs and slowing their computers, lol.

Numbers kinda suck, though...

'... The multi-fogging is a good idea, though; but it still means you need to catch the view bombing when it happens. ...

'...Generally speaking, I maintain the only way to really solve this issue is to change something server-side. All client-side tweaks are (unfortunately) just band-aids. sad.gif ...'

You couldn't be more right if you were crowded into a corner... and I suppose we all sort of are, lol, backs to the wall, hissing back at the cowardly Viewbombers, lol.

I approve of password verification for adding scrolls, eggs, hatchies to click sites.

(someone keeps adding my scroll to all the click sites, and I have to keep unchecking everything)

this is a good idea if it can be turned on/off scroll side. If a person who finds themselves being targeted, they can turn it on and save themselves issue. This will not, however, help in cases of planting the view code in high traffic forums.

There was also the suggestion of doing away with sickness altogether. And the idea of counting views/clicks only if a certain referrer is sent (e.g. "lair.silverdrak.de"), with a per-user custom whitelist.

I really love the idea of this type of whitelist to be honest, or otherwise just getting rid of the sickness.

I'm new to this topic now because I've undergone a spate of viewbombing myself- I find a lot of the viewbombing for me has occurred on rare dragons more than others :/ Either way, viewbombing is definitely on the rise, considering the discussions in this thread and the help thread that got closed up a while back as it transformed into a discussion. Oh and the anti-viewbombing oath thread in the Site Discussions board is also going, though not sure how that's going to help the situation.

To be honest, most people here are right in that even if we put passwords on the fan sites, yes it would stop easy and the most commonly used form of viewbombing traffic, but they can still viewbomb in other ways. I think some kind of more serious change needs to come from TJ and the site itself to solve something like this >__< I like to have my name visible on my dragons in case I catch an egg someone didn't mean to drop, and they can contact me on the forum to get it back but I can't keep my name up if people are going to keep adding my dragons to hatcheries like this...

Honestly, the referrer and multi-fogging options make a lot more sense to me, but I'm looking at this situation from the perspective of someone who can only use a phone to browse. Adding to fansites is a slight (but not annoying) hassle just because they refresh for views and mess with mobile broswers. I don't mind any of that, and do occassionally leave one open whenever I'm not using my phone to help give views.

But, if passwords were added in, Id have to go through and paste/type my password every time, as most browsers I've tried don't remember passwords as well as a normal PC browser might. I know others use the site over mobile, so I can't be alone in this.

I'm also in the group of thinking that it wouldn't do anything to stop view bombers who are determined enough. Not all fansite would be able to get password access, I'm thinking.

(And, honestly, I'm not comfortable putting my DC password into any website that *isnt* DC. I don't care if it's a hatchery. I'm certainly not alone there, it's common sense)

Really, multi fogging, referrers, and maybe changes to sickness would be the best way to go. Getting rid of sickness altogether would be the only surefire way, though, unless the view bombers go through and remove eggs from hatcheries (which would be much harder for them, so good for the egg).

There are a lot of good suggestions and ideas that have been put through on this thread- I would recommend the OP (or another active person if the OP is now inactive) to compile these ideas together and put them through the Suggestions board. TJ is never going to see them if they're sitting here, and a lot of the changes need to come from both the site AND fansites to make this work, rather than the fansites alone who will be reading this.

I am all for any regulation on view bombing. Passwords on fan sites and being unable to enter an egg that isn't yours suits me fine. For someone who catches eggs with the intention of trading it is very frustrating having to keep said egg fogged every time you leave the computer. I've searched every listed fan site and still can not find the victim to remove it. And worse, on some sites, even if I did find the victim I am unable to remove it. A poor set up.

This view bombing issue sucks the fun out of the game real fast.

I am all for any regulation on view bombing. Passwords on fan sites and being unable to enter an egg that isn't yours suits me fine. For someone who catches eggs with the intention of trading it is very frustrating having to keep said egg fogged every time you leave the computer. I've searched every listed fan site and still can not find the victim to remove it. And worse, on some sites, even if I did find the victim I am unable to remove it. A poor set up.

This view bombing issue sucks the fun out of the game real fast.

That's one of the problems; there are too many other sources of Views on the internet for fansite passwords to keep dragons safe.

There are Suggestions such as that for a type of Teleport in which the dragons cannot receive Views, and perhaps something like that might be the best bet?

If someone uses your password for you, is it considered multiaccounting? plus I like the simplicity of them, and rather not have to remember passwords when my computer crashes

Also, I'm saying this right after someone tried viewbombing one of my Vdays.... I don't add them no one knew I had them yet VIEWBOMBING

If someone uses your password for you, is it considered multiaccounting? plus I like the simplicity of them, and rather not have to remember passwords when my computer crashes

Also, I'm saying this right after someone tried viewbombing one of my Vdays.... I don't add them no one knew I had them yet VIEWBOMBING

boylet had a problem with that; a rosebud he picked up had over 1000 views within half an hour of it being picked up from the AP...seriously, are you so jealous of the egg an 11 year old boy picked up that you have to do this? Really?