Red2111

Discussion on View Bombing

Sorry to resurrect an oldish thread, but since this is a very recent occurrence, it seemed appropriate.

I've just had a very clear case of viewbombing. A few minutes ago, I posted a trade in the trading threads and EatW Dragonmarket that someone apparently didn't like. So they added my entire scroll to at least 3 different fansites, two of which I rarely use, and haven't used at all in the past month. I've hidden my scroll, fogged my eggs, and removed them from the sites I know about, but I know I've missed at least one that doesn't remove fogged things, because my hatchies that were fogged for at least 12 hours are still getting UVs trickling in. I checked the active fansites thread, but I'd like to ask here if anyone knows of sites besides the following that I should check (that maybe you've had problems with viewbombers using).

Here are the ones I know about: Silvi's (added here, not by me; rarely use), Eggs Around the World (added here, but not by me), Valley Sherwood (added here, not by me; rarely use), Allure of Neglected Dragons (I added them here pre-bombing), Draghatch (I added them here pre-bombing and have scroll secured - YAY!), Daily Dragon Fix (I added them here pre-bombing), Egg Drop Soup (added here, not by me; haven't used in over a year) and Dragon Dump (added here, not by me; have never used this site).

I just really hate that there's nothing else I can do about this! It causes me/others so much grief to be on the receiving end, while the perpetrators get away scot-free, laughing all the way, when they're the ones breaking the rules. It makes me so angry! Thanks for listening/reading, and for any help you can offer.

Shala

PS: This is a question for all you coders out there: Is there a way that TJ could code the fog action to sever ties temporarily to the API? So that if I fog my egg/hatchie, it is automatically removed from ALL fansites, regardless of how each individual fansite deals with/cleans fogged things? Would love to know if that were possible, as this would give us a reliable action to halt viewbombing and not leave us so helpless against malicious users.

Edited by ShaladorsLady

Is there a way that TJ could code the fog action to sever ties temporarily to the API? So that if I fog my egg/hatchie, it is automatically removed from ALL fansites, regardless of how each individual fansite deals with/cleans fogged things?

A while ago I'd asked in tiny little questions and was told it *is* this way, that fogging affects things dc-side to remove them from fansites. I don't know if my memory or the info is 100% correct so it may be worth you asking about in that thread.

A while ago I'd asked in tiny little questions and was told it *is* this way, that fogging affects things dc-side to remove them from fansites. I don't know if my memory or the info is 100% correct so it may be worth you asking about in that thread.

There no way this is true. I caught a gold egg a few days ago, immediately fogged it, unfogged it three days later and it still acquired enough views to hatch. #rage.

I'd heard stuff like if it has a certain amount of views pre-fog it could still hatch? Did you get it from the AP?

I dunno though. :\

Edited by diaveborn

AFAIK, fogged creatures are still policed by the individual fansites. Some sites remove them, some don't. Some clean more often than others. Some rely on users to clean, some auto-clean. It's the inconsistency that bugs me, and makes it nearly impossible to reliably remove viewbombed eggs/hatchies from ALL possible sites. It's especially impossible, because WE have to figure out which sites they've been added to, without our permission or knowledge. That's why I want a DC-driven solution to this problem, rather than relying on fansites to police our dragons, and manually searching all known fansites, vainly hoping we got them all.

It just burns my biscuits that viewbombers can get away so easily with breaking the rules, while we 'law-abiding citizens' are left to clean up the mess someone else made of our scrolls. I really feel for those folks who wake up to dead eggs/hatchies because some sick person decided to mess with them, for whatever stupid reason. /rant

Sigh today is my turn to be focused on it seems rolleyes.gif How do I know? My gold hatchling was on no sites to start, fogged for extra safety and certain other hatchlings not added either. Posted in trades and oh look suddenly genders. Rechecks the entire list of wiki of hatcheries as suspect and my whole scroll has magically appeared on all of them including sites I never use.

The first gold I have caught in a long time with my horrid nerve pain ridden hands and wanted to keep a bit longer for something special- not such a hardship for the little one to grow but annoying nonetheless.

To the viewbomber - your goal? Thanks for adding to my total adults if I don't trade this one in time. Your point was pointless and cowardly. What comes around, goes around and I would put your efforts in putting the hard work into catching yourself.

Sorry to resurrect an oldish thread, but since this is a very recent occurrence, it seemed appropriate.

I've just had a very clear case of viewbombing. A few minutes ago, I posted a trade in the trading threads and EatW Dragonmarket that someone apparently didn't like. So they added my entire scroll to at least 3 different fansites, two of which I rarely use, and haven't used at all in the past month. I've hidden my scroll, fogged my eggs, and removed them from the sites I know about, but I know I've missed at least one (I left a test egg unfogged, and removed it from all the sites below, but it's still getting UVs). I think I've gotten them all now. I know I can check the active fansites thread, and probably will, but I'd like to ask here if anyone knows of sites besides the following that I should check (that maybe you've had problems with viewbombers using).

Here are the ones I know about: Silvi's (added here, not by me; rarely use), Eggs Around the World (added here, but not by me), Valley Sherwood (added here, not by me; rarely use), Allure of Neglected Dragons (I added them here pre-bombing), Draghatch (I added them here pre-bombing and have scroll secured - YAY!), Daily Dragon Fix (I added them here pre-bombing), Egg Drop Soup (added here, not by me; haven't used in over a year) and Dragon Dump (added here, not by me; have never used this site).

I just really hate that there's nothing else I can do about this! It causes me/others so much grief to be on the receiving end, while the perpetrators get away scot-free, laughing all the way, when they're the ones breaking the rules. It makes me so angry! Thanks for listening/reading, and for any help you can offer.

Shala

PS: This is a question for all you coders out there: Is there a way that TJ could code the fog action to sever ties temporarily to the API? So that if I fog my egg/hatchie, it is automatically removed from ALL fansites, regardless of how each individual fansite deals with/cleans fogged things? Would love to know if that were possible, as this would give us a reliable action to halt viewbombing and not leave us so helpless against malicious users.

That exact same thing happened to me about a week ago.

I was trading a third generation bronze shimmer, and less than a hour after it was born it was sick. I had to hide it... I went looking around the hatch sites trying to find where it was placed to remove it from their listings. Well, I kept on getting views! So I went back, and the jerk had put it back on the hatch sites!

I think it would help with trading if there was a way you could still view the dragon's lineage even if it was hidden. I had almost zero takers on the dragon due to this :/

I'm devastated.

Since TJ's Birthday update, whenever I have one of the Trio eggs (Ice, Thunder, Magma) on my scroll, I get view-bombed until one of my eggs is killed. I now have two dead eggs on my scroll, despite fogging, etc.

It makes me nervous to put my eggs on any hatchery site now!

I'm devastated.

Since TJ's Birthday update, whenever I have one of the Trio eggs (Ice, Thunder, Magma) on my scroll, I get view-bombed until one of my eggs is killed. I now have two dead eggs on my scroll, despite fogging, etc.

It makes me nervous to put my eggs on any hatchery site now!

Even though I've never had a case of view bombing before, I can sympathize with you guys here sad.gif Maybe fog your egg as soon as possible and leave it fogged until its almost ER(between 5 ~ 4 days) and then unfog and put your eggs in hatcheries? Then even if someone viewbombs your egg, the egg will have a less likely chance of getting sick.

Even though I've never had a case of view bombing before, I can sympathize with you guys here sad.gif Maybe fog your egg as soon as possible and leave it fogged until its almost ER(between 5 ~ 4 days) and then unfog and put your eggs in hatcheries? Then even if someone viewbombs your egg, the egg will have a less likely chance of getting sick.

That's the only solution so far. But keep an eye on your eggs even when they are already fogged. AFAIK, Silvi's will not automatically remove your eggs due to fog but EATW and AoND will.

I've recently had one of my eggs viewbombed (for the first time). It's a CB Blusang and I didn't add it to any hatcheries (but I forgot to fog it), but this morning I saw it was sick and that it had 1,140 views, 340 unique views and 5 clicks, so I fogged it immediately. I don't know if it's going to pull through... I hope it will. I've never had an egg or hatchling die from sickness before, and I hope it stays that way. sad.gif

EDIT: Phew, my egg has survived. I'll keep it and my scroll hidden for a little longer though, just in case.

Edited by Eggy0

When i was new in this game i was view bombed. 2 of my eggs died. One common and one rare. Both were CBs. The rare was Red Copper and common was Swallowtail. sad.gif

For the first time in my DC life, someone added my scroll to fan sites that I never use. I had to remove my eggs from Egg Drop Soup, EATW, Valley Sherwood, Dragon Dump, and remove a specific egg from AoND.

What the heck is wrong with people?

For the first time in my DC life, someone added my scroll to fan sites that I never use. I had to remove my eggs from Egg Drop Soup, EATW, Valley Sherwood, Dragon Dump, and remove a specific egg from AoND.

What the heck is wrong with people?

Jealousy, boredom, malice, possibly well-intentioned though misplaced over-helpfulness. I do not understand the thoughts that go into view-bombing either an individual or a specific egg.

I can't understand how this works. Last night, before going to bed, I hid all my eggs and hatchies and hid my scroll. This morning I unfogged them but kept the scroll hidden. These were the views at 10:56 AM my time:

user posted image

Now at 11:40 AM I checked the views, that should have remained the same, and look:

user posted image

How can an egg or hatchie gain views and unique views if the scroll is hidden? What should I do to prevent some sick mind to kill my eggs?

Edited by Naughtrish

Hiding the scroll does not prevent individual dragons on it from getting views. It just prevents the scroll from being viewed/added by/to fansites. If the dragons were already added, hiding the scroll does not remove them. For some fansites, hiding the dragons doesn't remove them either. So unless you went through and removed your dragons before hiding them and your scroll last night, that could be what happened. It does seem like all of the dragons should have more views in that case, but with the random fashion that dragons are displayed, and the relatively short time between your screenshots, it's possible that the others hadn't made it into the view-rotation yet.

Thank you, bbik, for the explanation on hiding wub.gif

I did remove all my dragons from all the hatcheries I could find, before fogging and hiding scroll last night. Not from the ones that require registration or are forum based, though.

This morning I had to remove three of them from Silvi's Lair.

Ah well, I guess I will need to keep a hawk's eye on them.

Happened yet again. I have a bunch of hatchies a friend bred me as eggs. They're all around 3.3-3.7K views - except the sick one who is around 7K. All of them were in the same single hatchery. It's an avatar, and I'm thinking of fogging the gold as well even though it hasn't been bombed just because I'm posting here and now people are going to go look at my scroll. What is WRONG with people?????

(yes, that is rhetorical... sigh)

Happened yet again. I have a bunch of hatchies a friend bred me as eggs. They're all around 3.3-3.7K views - except the sick one who is around 7K. All of them were in the same single hatchery. It's an avatar, and I'm thinking of fogging the gold as well even though it hasn't been bombed just because I'm posting here and now people are going to go look at my scroll. What is WRONG with people?????

(yes, that is rhetorical... sigh)

Its a new release the only fansite safe enough to put new eggs in at this time is EATW since it activly takes eggs out of rotation.

I have been viewbombed recently... AGAIN. And this time, one of my new release eggs died of sickness! sad.gif Seriously, what the heck is wrong with people?!

I have been viewbombed recently... AGAIN. And this time, one of my new release eggs died of sickness! sad.gif Seriously, what the heck is wrong with people?!

Envy can be a very strong emotion :/

I would suggest hiding your scroll and waiting for your eggs to be able to hatch basically ER and fog them when you're not around because even if you hide your scroll they'll still have the code of the eggs

Sorry this is happening to you I'm dealing with one myself .-.

I've never been viewbombed , sorry for the people who have to deal with this.

I've never been viewbombed , sorry for the people who have to deal with this.

Well i just found out all my eggs had been added to hatcheries i never use, like 5 of them , so thanks

Edited by djengis

Well i just found out all my eggs had been added to hatcheries i never use, like 5 of them , so thanks

Me too - and all my hatchies. 5 out of 7 eggs sick... sad.gif. One is a trade so I am now going to have trouble as it has gendered already, and I was trying to keep it very low in case the recipient isn't here for a bit... It was SUPPOSED to be traded as an egg, but... mad.gif

Me too - and all my hatchies. 5 out of 7 eggs sick... sad.gif. One is a trade so I am now going to have trouble as it has gendered already, and I was trying to keep it very low in case the recipient isn't here for a bit... It was SUPPOSED to be traded as an egg, but... mad.gif

I caught it in time as i saw my shimmer was gaining views, which i didnt add to any hatchery because i had it offered on a trade (which i had to cancel ofcourse to fog it), but 2 of my hatchies are still sick.

Edited by djengis