Red2111

Discussion on View Bombing

Personally I think we can find good resolutions to this if everyone is willing to put in a little effort. harlequinraven has stated my thoughts and experiences with regards to trading very well- resorting to just PM offers just doesn't work anywhere near as well as putting up a trade link. With the trade link thing in mind, people can still hide their scrolls and remove their username from the view page. Small ways that hatcheries can help is by removing the ability to add via codes rather than scrolls. If you've got your scroll hidden, no one (even yourself) can add it to a hatchery site. But sites that allow for codes to be added are still a risk.

Yes, there are other things people can do outside of hatchery sites as harlequinraven mentions, but if everyone is willing to put in a little effort instead of everyone blaming each other and putting the responsibility on one group only, we can all work out the best solution.

There are a lot of things you can do personally to prevent view bombing. It really irks me to no degree on how people want the "hatcheries" to do something to make this easier. I don't mean to lash out but like ... people flipped out at even entertaining the idea we might have parts of the site that might be paid for. They want a "free" game now and forever. Maybe they donate, maybe they don't. But it seems that people don't want to have any possible discussion about various other revenue or pay options for this site. With that being said, I can't even imagine the outcry there would be if a hatchery or click site asked for donations or more money for enhanced features.

Oh dear... I wasn't assuming that the hatcheries would need to do anything, I was replying to people concerned about sharing their DC passwords.

For what concerns "deserving view bombing", well... I was view bombed BEFORE I joined the forum so I doubt that's the point. Until I started offering, and sometimes cancelling my offers, I had no problems at all.

On top of all that, I don't see any issue with anonymously donating to the two hatcheries that I use.

Sorry, just to clarify, my response was to the OP and to others who believe the OP is correct that Hatcheries should be responsible for stopping the viewbombing. All other ideas and responses are fine and I have no issue with. In fact, I may actually agree with them.

But unless the idea is "for or against hatcheries stopping viewbombing" or other thoughts related to this, they are better for another thread since this particular "letter" or thread is asking the Hatchery Owner/Admins to do the work. And it doesn't resolve anything anyway. I was trying to convey that it costs a lot (a lot lot) to do what the OP was asking, and that just doesn't fly with this PlayerBase.

So unless someone is willing to shell out $25k-$150k annually to pay for the abuse desk & various legal consulting (as you run into legal issues potentially, although this is in no way a crime and no one has a duty to care, to any individual or even DC itself, n or does DC have that duty in response) to run this madness, you might as well just make a large, but at greater savings, donation directly to DC and ask TJ to code something that will allow specific eggs to be protected from view bombing death for specific periods of time. I'm not trying to say you can buy TJ or the development of this game, I'm just saying, common man thinking clause. And normally that's not even necessary as TJ does most/all of this for free.

BTW: Those numbers come from S/O who ran one of the internet's largest and most responsive abuse desks, who also dealt with legal things too. He's at least a valid source to get figures on what things like this cost to run. Just so the OP can have some perspective on what they are asking.

I think we are better going back to the Suggestions and BSA and other threads to petition DC to put in some coding or tweak something that will actually impact and not have costs to people who already give us so much at no cost. Although donations are always good to everyone.

I have no comment on the other suggestions cuz this one is specifically about hatcheries taking ownership to prevent view bombing (rather than the individual), but that is for a discussion in another thread. Which I am happy to support other ideas in other threads, just not this one.

I know this might come off sounding mean. I don't mean to sound mean. I just really want to convey I don't believe it is being understood what is being asked and various implications that trickle beyond that. It's a pixel. It might be worth it to YOU (you general) as long as you don't bear the cost or effort, but its not worth it to anyone else. Especially when you look at the real costs of what is being asked.

And there are so many cheaper better ways to fix this. But it involves personal responsibility or working with DC. And the number of people I've heard complain how "hard" it is, I just cannot excuse people not taking some personal effort and responsibility. Especially over a pixel. Because it may be mean, but its not a crime. And the victim is a pixel. In a game. Of pretend.

Edited by natayah

i know a way they could stop them without inconveinenceing the hatchiries

get rid of death by views

its the only way

if they cant get hurt form overviewing they cant hurt you

I never had a problem with viewbombing... until recently. Shortly after the xenowyrm release someone thought it would be fun to kill my gaia, thunder, pyro and ultraviolet by making them sick. And they killed everything but my thunder that barely got out alive.

I kept my scroll hidden for quite a while, I would only make it visible so I can put my growing dragons into hatcheries when I wanted them to gender and grow. My scroll is visible again, but I'm cautious all the time. I keep everything that grows on my scroll fogged during the times I can't supervise it, such as when I'm asleep, away or just busy doing something else. smile.gif

Just last night i was view bomded i was going to come on today to check on them fogged the three that were sick but that did not help.Now all my Silver Lunars that i worked so hard to get band gender are all dead.I took my scroll off my sig to keep others from viewing till TJ responds to my messages. It is sad that there are players that mean on here. I took the oath of not view bombing i never had nore never will. sad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Just last night i was view bomded i was going to come on today to check on them fogged the three that were sick but that did not help.Now all my Silver Lunars that i worked so hard to get band gender are all dead.I took my scroll off my sig to keep others from viewing till TJ responds to my messages. It is sad that there are players that mean on here. I took the oath of not view bombing i never had nore never will. sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif

I went and looked at your scroll, all those dead eggs, I'm so sorry. I've been bombed quite a few times, luckily I caught them all in time and fogged the eggs. sad.gif

But you might want to hide your scroll and not just remove the link from your sig, I easily found your scroll by simply going /user/Laryal.

Edited by GoldeenTrix

I went and looked at your scroll, all those dead eggs, I'm so sorry. I've been bombed quite a few times, luckily I caught them all in time and fogged the eggs. sad.gif

But you might want to hide your scroll and not just remove the link from your sig, I easily found your scroll by simply going /user/Laryal.

Thank you how do i do that?

Thank you how do i do that?

Go into your Account settings, and tick Hide scroll. Your account settings are under the "Accounts" tab. Remember to save your settings by typing in your password at the top and clicking save at the bottom after you've ticked "Hide scroll"

Go into your Account settings, and tick Hide scroll. Your account settings are under the "Accounts" tab. Remember to save your settings by typing in your password at the top and clicking save at the bottom after you've ticked "Hide scroll"

Thanks i am either looking in the wrong place or some thing becouse i can not find it ugg.

Thanks i am either looking in the wrong place or some thing becouse i can not find it ugg.

Are you looking on the DC site? It's not on the forums. Look at the tab you click to see your dragons. It's labeled "Dragons" correct? Right beside it is the "Accounts" tab.

Click in, and the first choice on the left column is "Account settings". Click into that. Look for the words "Hide Scroll" and tick the box next to it. Then type in your password at the top of the page, and click "Save account settings" near the bottom of the page. That's all there is to it smile.gif

Edit: ninja.gif 'd

Edited by GoldeenTrix

Thanks you two found it will get it done now. crazy me lol.

You're welcome.

Here's also a link to the suggestion thread I mentioned in PM - https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=124739

Sock also added multiple links to other threads that might be of interest in suggestions and BSA sections about half-way through the opening post.

You're welcome.

Here's also a link to the suggestion thread I mentioned in PM - https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=124739

Sock also added multiple links to other threads that might be of interest in suggestions and BSA sections about half-way through the opening post.

Thank you again for all the help and support i will look into these i just hope TJ will see that i was not the one to put them in fansites and brings them back for me.

Thank you again for all the help and support i will look into these i just hope TJ will see that i was not the one to put them in fansites and brings them back for me.

I am so sorry about your dragons! Unfortunately, I seem to recall something about TJ being unable to respond to requests of that nature simply because there are so many incidents that he'd never have time for anything else, especially between his full-time job and everything he does here already... sad.gif

And the point again must be made that even if fansites were taken out of the equation, dragons could still be View-bombed off-site and in such cases, high-traffic sites may kill dragons in a VERY brief period of time, as has occurred in the past.

The most effective thing we could probably do which I would think likely has the best chance of success would be to seriously plead with TJ for a Fog/UnFog All scroll option, (there's a thread on that somewhere in Suggestions,) to make it easy and quick to protect all dragons when we can't watch them and for elective anti-View-bomber protection for dragons in Teleport (there's a thread on that also,) so that we weren't left sitting ducks for any childishly nasty people who might wander onsite.

The fact is that threads like this often attract Viewbomber types and posting on the Release threads, as so many of us do, also poses likely hazards; I've been Fogging my dragons when left unattended for years since one or more very obsessive Viewbomber(s) targeted pretty much everyone posting on this thread. In that case, I mostly just used the extra Views rather than my regular fansites and Fogged dragons as they became Sick or when I figured a good level had been reached, lol. But if I'm going to sleep or otherwise be away from the computer for some time, my dragons get Fogged, and while I'm often not actually on DC while on the computer, I do keep the site up at all times to check my dragons often. And I tend not to post even when I'm gifted or make a lucky catch of a particularly lovely dragon, even where I'd like to shriek gratitude from the rooftops, as that can attract attention from troubled people as well.

But Fogging and unFogging up to 21 dragons is a pain and can be extremely time-consuming when done perhaps multiple times a day on what may be a slow connection or in lag, so the Fog/UnFog All option would make a major difference to many people who'd rather not hide their scrolls and something is clearly needed to prevent trades from being attacked when posted.

If we can't have Sickness/death removed, I really think trying again to have at least those protective aids implemented would be our best option.

Just as a note for those still coming in with view bombing issues- if you have the aid message checked to display on your dragon pages, I don't think you should be complaining about view bombing considering that message essentially asks people to post your eggs in places for you.

If you have view bombing issues, and have this message displayed, removing it might solve your problem. Head to Account > Account Settings > Accept aid from others to change this.

(Mentioning this because I've seen several users now comment about view bombing in other threads yet see that they request aid on their dragon pages.)

Just want to thank you all for this thread. I managed to trade for a (just bred - still at 7 hours) 2nd gen Silver Tinsel (for the April Fool's eggs!) and I had the egg maybe 30 minutes and it was sick. I noticed it had had lots of views and clicks. So I hid it. I THOUGHT this happened because the person posted on that thread that they were willing to trade (though I responded to her ONLY via PM) so I thought people went to her scroll to see. However, it took over 5 hours to become 'well' again. And I was frantically searching for a way to save my egg. I found this Fan Sites thread and started searching the hatcheries and found it in 4 of them. Since I only use one hatchery it wasn't me. I suspect I know who did it but have no proof.

But then I found this thread and took advantage of all the tips here. So I wanted to post to force the back to the top of the list in case someone else experiences a similar attack or even accidental happening.

Thanks all!

Just want to thank you all for this thread. I managed to trade for a (just bred - still at 7 hours) 2nd gen Silver Tinsel (for the April Fool's eggs!) and I had the egg maybe 30 minutes and it was sick. I noticed it had had lots of views and clicks. So I hid it. I THOUGHT this happened because the person posted on that thread that they were willing to trade (though I responded to her ONLY via PM) so I thought people went to her scroll to see. However, it took over 5 hours to become 'well' again. And I was frantically searching for a way to save my egg. I found this Fan Sites thread and started searching the hatcheries and found it in 4 of them. Since I only use one hatchery it wasn't me. I suspect I know who did it but have no proof.

But then I found this thread and took advantage of all the tips here. So I wanted to post to force the back to the top of the list in case someone else experiences a similar attack or even accidental happening.

Thanks all!

Sorry that happened to you. Glad you fixed it. Maybe just hide your eggs when you're offline for safekeeping for a few days until the person loses interest in your scroll (just to be safe). smile.gif

Sigh... scroll was view bombed last night, including 2 eggs that hadn't been entered in ANY site! Had just GIFTED a Gen4 Gold Shimmer to the only person to respond & made a trade (CB Silver Lunar for CB Spring). Scroll is now hidden again & name removed.

--------------------------

update 5/11 - Someone added my scroll to every hatcherie around AGAIN. Ya know, after 8 years on the site I KNOW HOW TO RAISE MY DRAGONS!

Edited by JaneMcAsh

I got seriously viewbombed.

It happened in the last eight hours or so

and for absolutely no reason except meanness

and stupidity.

I took it out of as many hatcheries as I could

but because I don't know if that's the only ones it was put in

I have to fog the egg.

Fortunately it didn't die.

I was recently view-bombed (650+ unique views in less than an hour)....

I noticed it was sick/VBed and I fogged it, but the lil' egg still died.

Is fogging not enough? Would a Stun/Fog approach work better?

I read through some of the recent pages but didn't see anything.

Thanks, y'all.

I was recently view-bombed (650+ unique views in less than an hour)....

I noticed it was sick/VBed and I fogged it, but the lil' egg still died.

Is fogging not enough? Would a Stun/Fog approach work better?

I read through some of the recent pages but didn't see anything.

Thanks, y'all.

Fogging does not necessarily keep an egg/hatchling from dying. It just keeps it from getting any more views/clicks and gives it a chance to recover. However, if the views/clicks that it already got were too many, or came to fast it may not be able to survive. You don't say if yours was an egg or a hatchling. I don't think stun will help and you can only stun hatchlings, which are less likely to die from sickness than eggs anyway.