Red2111

Discussion on View Bombing

I've only ever used DragHatch, Allure of Neglected Dragons, and the DragonDump. I've also never really been active on the forums despite being a semi-active hatchery since 2008 (I quit for awhile and when I came back made a new account to start anew. Old one is going to be burned soon I hope.)

It makes me wonder though if this has happened to me. Is it one of those things you know for sure is happening, or can viewbombing be mistaken for something else?

I've mentioned this before when we had the last round of view-bombing, but I don't think that this is a problem with the hatcheries.  This is now a problem with the game mechanic.

Eggs/hatchlings getting sick served two purposes - it kept people from clogging up the server by getting a ridiculous, unnecessary number of views, and it also added a layer to the game which gave players a reason to continue to interact with their scrolls.

Unfortunately, some not particularly nice people have found a way to exploit that.  Instead of trying to compensate for that by changing the sites out there which can be used to view-bomb eggs (an impossibility since sites other than hatcheries can be used), it seems that it would be far simpler to just adjust the way that sickness works to preserve the benefits listed above, while removing the incentive that view-bombers have wherein they upset people by killing their eggs.

Instead of an egg dying quickly of sickness, there could be a window where it's sick without penalty - it would be X amount of hours, X being the number that it's decided that a reasonably engaged player would check in on their eggs.

After that amount of time, every Y amount of hours goes by where the egg remains sick causes development to slow so that the egg takes longer to hatch.

There could still be the threat of death if the egg was sick for three, four, or five days, but I think that it's reasonable to expect players to check in on their eggs within that time frame.

Since the vast majority of sickness is not caused by view-bombing I do think that it's important that a consequence remains, it just doesn't have to be death, or at least not one that happens so much faster than many people can catch it.

Changing the mechanics of sickness still creates the incentive there for the player to not get an overwhelming amount of views (which is better for the server) and for them to regularly check in on their scroll (which is good for the game as a whole).  There may end up being some minor inconvenience for a player who gets view-bombed and was unable to check in for a couple of days, but that's immensely better than a scroll of egg shells and tombstones.  Also, I believe that view-bombing will probably drop off a lot once the people who do it can't get the satisfaction of causing real distress.  Being mildly annoying is more pathetic than vengeful.

I think this is the best solution to the problem that I've seen suggested thus far. I agree that the consequences of neglecting your own eggs and hatchlings should remain but they really shouldn't be so harsh that viewbombers can easily kill your babies while you're away at work or school.

I've only ever used DragHatch, Allure of Neglected Dragons, and the DragonDump. I've also never really been active on the forums despite being a semi-active hatchery since 2008 (I quit for awhile and when I came back made a new account to start anew. Old one is going to be burned soon I hope.)

It makes me wonder though if this has happened to me. Is it one of those things you know for sure is happening, or can viewbombing be mistaken for something else?

If it's an egg that you know you haven't added to any hatcheries or any other sites, especially if you bred it yourself or caught it from the cave where a previous owner couldn't have added it and it's getting monstrous amounts of views then that's one way to know. If you catch an egg or hatchling from the AP or trade for it then it could be more uncertain.

Edited by Dewdropmon

I think I've identified a new form of viewbombing. Last night when I went to bed, nothing of mine (two low-time copper eggs, and a trio set I was trading) were in any hatcheries. When I logged on today, the coppers had been hatched, and the trio eggs were fully cracked. They seem to only have been added to two hatcheries, so killing them was unlikely. However, now the amount of time I can hold the trade link open for offers has shortened to just a few hours from now. This happened to trades of mine during the last two holidays, and I believe it's been done to pressure me into accepting an existing offer, when I would rather wait and see if I get a better one. That does make for a very short list of culprits, but I'm still really pissed off about it.

(Tempted to be spiteful and accept none of the existing offers...though I do need to compile trade fodder for another cb silver for a project)

(Tempted to be spiteful and accept none of the existing offers...though I do need to compile trade fodder for another cb silver for a project)

I'd do exactly that.

But otherwise - maybe post a screenie of the egg you have another time, with the code removed, and hide your scroll ?

I have been playing Dragon Cave for many years and I have heard of viewbombing but never been a victim before. However, today I found two dead eggs and three sick eggs on my scroll. One of the dead ones was a Spring egg I had catched yesterday. It had got 1533 views and 390 unique views in about 12 hours. I had put in only in one hatchery, Silvi's Lair. There I usually get not more that 100 unique views per day and no sickness.

Curious, I cheched another hatchery I never use myself and found that someone had put all my hatchlings there. Probably all my eggs were there too but I can't be sure because I fogged my sick eggs before I checked this.

I suppose someone had put my scroll in many hatcheries, I have no idea why. I have a notice "Please note that it is against the site rules to give aid to a user without their permission." So now I know how it feels to be viewbombed.

I'm not happy. And I just wanted to share this.

Edited by Rowan

I have been playing Dragon Cave for many years and I have heard of viewbombing but never been a victim before. However, today I found two dead eggs and three sick eggs on my scroll. One of the dead ones was a Spring egg I had catched yesterday. It had got 1533 views and 390 unique views in about 12 hours. I had put in only in one hatchery, Silvi's Lair. There I usually get not more that 100 unique views per day and no sickness.

Curious, I cheched another hatchery I never use myself and found that someone had put all my hatchlings there. Probably all my eggs were there too but I can't be sure because I fogged my sick eggs before I checked this.

I suppose someone had put my scroll in many hatcheries, I have no idea why. I have a notice "Please note that it is against the site rules to give aid to a user without their permission." So now I know how it feels to be viewbombed.

I'm not happy. And I just wanted to share this.

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses!

You might want to think about Fogging your eggs when you can't watch them, something I've been doing for a very long time.

Apart from Viewbombers, there may be children who have just started and think they're helping by adding people's dragons into hatcheries, and people typing in (rather than copy-pasting) scroll names can make errors and add the wrong scroll without noticing...

My case, I doubt they're children, tbh.

I have to take my eggs off hatcheries I never use about 6-7 times a day for about two weeks now sad.gif

I think I made someone angry u.u

My case, I doubt they're children, tbh.

I have to take my eggs off hatcheries I never use about 6-7 times a day for about two weeks now sad.gif

I think I made someone angry u.u

I'm so sorry. D: I hope it stops soon, whoever is doing it is a butt.

I'm so sorry. D: I hope it stops soon, whoever is doing it is a butt.

So far, 4 teleports broken and 5 sick eggs... But no death. I check sites very often, so I kinda manage to get them on time... But I'm afraid of my eggs dying when going to bed sad.gif Specially because sometimes I can't fog them because they have teleports with offers sad.gif

Oh, jeez. I hope there's eventually a way to figure out who's doing it. You're such a nice person <3

Oh, dear! Thank you so much! You make me blush! o//////o

Sadly, I don't think there's a way of finding out who's doing it sad.gif I don't even know what I did to make that happen sad.gif

I was so happy about DC community! Everyone was so friendly and mature (even if there's kids here!), everyone discussed politely and said things clearly.... Had no idea people like this were around too sad.gif

Unfortunately, people like that are everywhere. It sucks, but it happens. It's possible you didn't even do anything; they're just mean.

I woke up today with a sick egg and all my eggs and hatchies added to multuple hatcheries.

I only use AoND and Silvi for my needs, and I had to remove my scroll from Evina, Dragon Dump, EATW, Valley Sherwood and can't remember what else. Sick individual, I wonder if I was randomly attacked or they have somethiing against me. It is not my first time.

Several of us who were asking about sickness in Tiny Questions recently were mass-bombed. I had all my eggs/hatchies in placed I'd never even visited before. It happened over and over. I finally had to hide my Scroll - which I've never had to do. What an ass-hat to do that!

I'm laughing right now because it looks like some moron is trying to view bomb me

I need some name holders, so I'm grabbing low time Electrics and Waverunners, and putting them in the 5 hatcheries I use and I find that all my Eggs and Hatchlings have been added to them, I rarely use all 5 at the same time, so I've removed them and have fogged my 2nd ND and the new eggs for now

There was a question posted in TLQ, and I did a little research while looking for an answer. I realized this would be helpful info here for all those who are trying to protect their eggs and hatchlings.

If a bomber has the egg's code, they could add it to some sites that allow entry by code, although most sites I looked at need the egg/hatchling to be 4d or under. If someone tries to enter a hidden scroll, it will not be allowed on all the sites I tested. A scroll can be added to a site, then hidden and the eggs/hatchlings will remain on the site.

Hid mine, although 8 of my babies are unfogged and tested a few sites. Here are their responses:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EATW - Sorry, I couldn't find any eggs or hatchlings on your scroll. You can't add dead or fogged eggs and hatchlings.

Eggs can NOT be added by individual code here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AoND - The scroll for (scroll name) could not be found. Please make sure you typed the name correctly and that the scroll is not hidden.

Eggs can not be added by individual code until they are 4d or under.

Valley Sherwood - Unable to find user (scroll name).

Eggs can not be added by individual code until they are 4d or under.

Egg Drop Soup - An error occurred when servicing your request:

That username does not exist or could not be found.

Silvi's Lair - Sorry but I couldn't find any eggs or hatchlings that could be added to the site. So either

- there are none on your scroll (Hidden can't be added this way. Please use single code for fogged entries.),

- the scrollname isn't correct (Please check spelling.)

- or the connection to Dragon Cave failed (Try again or if DC is down, just wait until it is up again.).

Both Hidden and Fogged eggs can be added by individual code here.

Pet Hatchery - failed to open stream: HTTP request failed!

Hatching Club (formerly Dragon dump) - Sorry, we were unable to locate that scroll.

I did not test any other hatcheries, but if anyone else want to work through the others, your results would be a help to those in this thread.

From dragonpuck:

TheEvina's DragHatch - "That scroll has no eggs/hatchlings."

Eggs can NOT be added by individual code here. There is a site feature that secures your scroll so that only YOU can add.

Edited by dragongrrl

To safeguard my eggs/hatchlings, I use a completely different forum name than my scroll ID. I also removed any trace of my scroll name in the signature. ninja.gif

I don't show my scroll name on the eggs/dragons themselves. So even if someone gets angry because I beat them to the punch, catching something they wanted in the cave before they could, they can't use that item's code to figure out what my scroll name is. Then they won't be able to attack the entire scroll out of spite. They might lash out by trying to add that one code to a bunch of hatcheries, but that's all.

Just stumbled across this topic - who would be so sick to do this?! Honestly, I'm quite young, and even I'm not stupid enough to do this! mad.gif

Man, it's been a while since anyone did anything like this to me... and even then it wasn't what I would call 'view bombing'. Iirc, someone added my eggs to some hatchery without my permission. I'm not sure which since I don't really check any but AoND, Silvi's, and EAtW. Thankfully I caught it quickly because it was in the middle of a drop and I was buzzing around my scroll a lot, but it was still something I found very irritating. I have the 'don't help me' option checked for a reason, sheesh.

...that said, I have very thankfully never lost an egg to sickness because I tend to check my scroll so obsessively, haha.

When I first joined and got the hang of actually keeping my eggs alive, I added my Pillow and Royal Blue eggs to tons of hatcheries straight away. Both died within an hour Dx

I understand sickness is a mechanic of this game, but I do agree that some changes could be made to prevent censorkip.gif ing stupid people from killing our eggs wink.gif

I recently switched my 'add permission sign' from allowing to the reminder that you can't add them without the owners permission. Now I've got 1 of each Shimmer egg, a Thunder and an Avatar of Creation on my scroll, I'm getting paranoid... x.x

Edited by SunsetRose

When I first joined and got the hang of actually keeping my eggs alive, I added my Pillow and Royal Blue eggs to tons of hatcheries straight away. Both died within an hour Dx

I understand sickness is a mechanic of this game, but I do agree that some changes could be made to prevent censorkip.gif ing stupid people from killing our eggs wink.gif

I recently switched my 'add permission sign' from allowing to the reminder that you can't add them without the owners permission. Now I've got 1 of each Shimmer egg, a Thunder and an Avatar of Creation on my scroll, I'm getting paranoid... x.x

When I have such precious dragons, I actually fog them whenever I'm not at the computer. Better to have to put them in three hatcheries ERs once they hit three days then risk some jerk veiwbombing them. Or even some well-meaning person putting an egg somewhere too early. Even if I have the 'please don't help me' option checked... it doesn't really stop people from adding eggs to places against my wishes, alas.

Edited by silver_chan

Just stumbled across this topic - who would be so sick to do this?! Honestly, I'm quite young, and even I'm not stupid enough to do this! mad.gif

Little note: Your sig link is broken. DragCave's TLD is .net, not .com.

Oh I just saw this... most of the time it's actually done maliciously, like if people are jealous someone got the egg they wanted or a particular code they were trying to catch. It's not usually a matter of stupidity, though I do think that the occasional problems I've had were more a case of people being too helpful, like putting my eggs places just after I catch them.

Like I said, I use the 'hide' option to fog my eggs if I think there's even a tiny chance someone might do this. Better safe than sorry.

Oh I just saw this... most of the time it's actually done maliciously, like if people are jealous someone got the egg they wanted or a particular code they were trying to catch. It's not usually a matter of stupidity, though I do think that the occasional problems I've had were more a case of people being too helpful, like putting my eggs places just after I catch them.

Like I said, I use the 'hide' option to fog my eggs if I think there's even a tiny chance someone might do this. Better safe than sorry.

I had to do this the other night after getting a CB Copper from the departures thread. Not an hour after I picked it up and thanked the gifter someone put all of my eggs into hatcheries and almost killed two of my eggs. It took several hours for one of my eggs to get better.

I really wish TJ and the mods could do something with the eggs so that view bombing doesn't happen. It's not a matter of us not taking care of our eggs. It's someone actually trying to kill them.