Red2111

Discussion on View Bombing

I had it happen to me yesterday with my new release hatchies, was gone for a few hours, came back and they were all sick, some are still sick after more than 12 hours fogged.

I've been done again. sad.gif But I still don't want anything "done" about it as I fear the cure would be a LOT worse than the disease.

Well I am a paranoid person and ever since I have been in DC whenever I shut my computer down (sleeping,eating,leave house) or walk away for a significant amount of time I hide everything. Yes I have (The owner of this creature is accepting aid from others.) on mine and that is so if I really need the help I can get it.

I've been done again. sad.gif But I still don't want anything "done" about it as I fear the cure would be a LOT worse than the disease.

Yeah, I feel the same way about the "cure" being worse.

I've been view bombed...lost a 3rd gen shimmer a few months back. I don't like fogging my eggs (I like to see the hatching sequence) but it's necessary when you feel like you might get bombed afk.

In order to "fix" the hatcheries people would need to contact the owners, and they would have to set up a new system and such, at least, if the new system involves making a password and account on each hatchery. Because honestly, that's the only way I could see the stopping of view bombing, that way only the owners have the password to their hatchery account...and if they gave it to someone else...it's kinda their fault if they get view bombed...

Yeah, I feel the same way about the "cure" being worse.

I've been view bombed...lost a 3rd gen shimmer a few months back. I don't like fogging my eggs (I like to see the hatching sequence) but it's necessary when you feel like you might get bombed afk.

In order to "fix" the hatcheries people would need to contact the owners, and they would have to set up a new system and such, at least, if the new system involves making a password and account on each hatchery. Because honestly, that's the only way I could see the stopping of view bombing, that way only the owners have the password to their hatchery account...and if they gave it to someone else...it's kinda their fault if they get view bombed...

And anyone can pick a code and bomb it in a sig or something - no fan site required - and the sheer added EFFORT of having to log into fan sites and so on.... and I quite often have to use a sitter - is it or is it not OK to give them my password (I only use people I can absolutely trust, but still...) no thanks - I'd rather take my chances and use a lot of fog !

I still don't think that's hatcheries to be blame. Just imagine how many eggs and hatchlings are in one hatchery one time, none of the hatcheries have the ability to just give a certain egg as many as views enough to get it sick. Maybe EATW can, but that's a bomb for highly-ER'ed eggs so there's still no need to worry about sickness, anyway.

Besides, there would be hard work to redo the coding to implement a 'new' system. It costs time as well. While the owner of hatcheries work for it for free and they have their life, their works and their studies. It's inappropriate to ask them working for that.

Apart from main hatcheris and fansites, there's also many many many boards and sites and places to put the codes. You don't need to go through hatcheries to get those codes but you can spread it as widely as you are willing to. Meanwhile, those are untraceable. You should take care of your eggs and hatchlings personally.

I still don't think that's hatcheries to be blame. Just imagine how many eggs and hatchlings are in one hatchery one time, none of the hatcheries have the ability to just give a certain egg as many as views enough to get it sick. Maybe EATW can, but that's a bomb for highly-ER'ed eggs so there's still no need to worry about sickness, anyway.

Besides, there would be hard work to redo the coding to implement a 'new' system. It costs time as well. While the owner of hatcheries work for it for free and they have their life, their works and their studies. It's inappropriate to ask them working for that.

Apart from main hatcheris and fansites, there's also many many many boards and sites and places to put the codes. You don't need to go through hatcheries to get those codes but you can spread it as widely as you are willing to. Meanwhile, those are untraceable. You should take care of your eggs and hatchlings personally.

I don't in ANY way blame hatcheries. It is the people who put all your eggs and hatchies in as many as they can - mine were put in at least 6 where I had not put them, three times this week.

Is this why my eggs keep getting sick even though I only have them on Egg Drop Soup? I never had this issue last time I was active here and it's frustrating.

I don't think it will be enough to cause sickness when you put it into only one hatchery.

Adding password verifying system into hatcheries has no vote from me - so far. The better solution will be hope TJ himself do something. However I don't know what he can do.

That's what I thought... I also have it in my signature on a forum but I don't think that would be enough either honestly.

Not by itself. But look in other hatcheries - you may find all your eggs somewhere you didn't put them. Mine were in at least 6 I dont' use over the last few days - THREE TIMES.

Not by itself. But look in other hatcheries - you may find all your eggs somewhere you didn't put them. Mine were in at least 6 I dont' use over the last few days - THREE TIMES.

I've gotten a few times in the past, mostly whenever I catch a gold or something and some vengeful little brat gets jealous, because it's usually just that egg :/

I've come to the conclusion that to avoid scroll bombs, best thing to do is change your forum name so that it no longer is identical to your scroll name, and don't link to it. Sucks, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Edit// and now I'm realizing that it doesn't change your actual username, just your log in name. How dumb.

Edited by kecemis

Well, this morning I found my eggs and hatchies in several hatcheries that I never use...AGAIN. Whoever you are, get a life. I bet they are reading this thread and rubbing their hands at the havoc they are trying to cause.

I don't quite get it. What was it about this release that sparked so much viewbombing?

I don't quite get it. What was it about this release that sparked so much viewbombing?

Who can understand a viewbomber ? MAYBE all the discussion about the birthday release, which seems to have annoyed people ? People who didn't have GoNs to breed from ?

Who can understand a viewbomber ? MAYBE all the discussion about the birthday release, which seems to have annoyed people ? People who didn't have GoNs to breed from ?

Yes, that could be... though you would think if you have no GoN you'd be further ahead by trying to hoard more summoners than killing other people's eggs and hatchies.

Yes, that could be... though you would think if you have no GoN you'd be further ahead by trying to hoard more summoners than killing other people's eggs and hatchies.

Well - yes, but killing the gold that someone got before you doesn't get you any further either - and as for the person who had renamed the parents of an autod egg "GIVE THIS EGG BACK OR I WILL KILL THE FATHER" (a shimmer as I recall) - who went on to do just that to wreck the lineage.... That didn't further their ends much either.

Well - yes, but killing the gold that someone got before you doesn't get you any further either - and as for the person who had renamed the parents of an autod egg "GIVE THIS EGG BACK OR I WILL KILL THE FATHER" (a shimmer as I recall) - who went on to do just that to wreck the lineage.... That didn't further their ends much either.

Yeah. It just seems stupid, IMO.

I am not sure how I feel about extra passwords and things on hatcheries, simply because I have never felt the need for them ( Though, admittedly, I might feel different if I had been on the receiving end of a viewbomb). It seems like it would be a nuisance, to my thinking AND I am not sure it would prevent a determined bomber from killing eggs.

Yeah. It just seems stupid, IMO.

I am not sure how I feel about extra passwords and things on hatcheries, simply because I have never felt the need for them ( Though, admittedly, I might feel different if I had been on the receiving end of a viewbomb). It seems like it would be a nuisance, to my thinking AND I am not sure it would prevent a determined bomber from killing eggs.

I have been on the receiving end - several times - and I would HATE passwords for hatcheries. And as you say - there are plenty of ways to attack scrolls without using fansites, so security measures in those would just be a nuisance for players, and wouldn't stop the determined bomber. (A bit like silly OTT security measures at airports, actually xd.png)

Edited by fuzzbucket

I have been on the receiving end - several times - and I would HATE passwords for hatcheries. And as you say - there are plenty of ways to attack scrolls without using fansites, so security measures in those would just be a nuisance for players, and wouldn't stop the determined bomber. (A bit like silly OTT security measures at airports, actually xd.png)

I guess, the truth is that, as NICE as it might be to NOT have to worry about viewbombers, I don't really know what can be done about them that would actually work and WOULDN'T make things more difficult for the average rules-abiding user. The trouble is that there isn't any way of finding out WHO is doing it... and they may or may not even be on DC from what I understand... to put forth any kind of consequences. Ultimately, it is probably up to each of us to protect our eggs and hatchies as best as we can with fog and the like. Some go so far as to hide their scrolls, which, it is a shame that they have to because I like admiring other people's dragons, but I can sort of understand it if they have been targeted enough times. I personally like others to be able to see what I have and what I can offer.

Why not a Remove From All Sites Button? It could take about 3 or 4 months to program.

Here's how it would work:

There would be a button on your dragons info page that says 'disable link', if you use it on the dragon with the code 'BillyBob', this is what would happen:

Its old code, dragcave.net[/b]/view/BillyBob. Would be turned into

*blah*view/BillyBob/173hjY. And the old code wouldn't give views.

Or maybe disable the view link from giving views all-together and have a secret 'hatchery code' that only the owner of the dragon could see? While still having the view/*code* page?

Why not a Remove From All Sites Button? It could take about 3 or 4 months to program.

Here's how it would work:

There would be a button on your dragons info page that says 'disable link', if you use it on the dragon with the code 'BillyBob', this is what would happen:

Its old code, dragcave.net[/b]/view/BillyBob. Would be turned into

*blah*view/BillyBob/173hjY. And the old code wouldn't give views.

Or maybe disable the view link from giving views all-together and have a secret 'hatchery code' that only the owner of the dragon could see? While still having the view/*code* page?

THAT, actually, is an excellent idea for a BSA.

THAT, actually, is an excellent idea for a BSA.

It is - EXCEPT that many of us love our codes....

Perhaps hatcheries could implement a system like Facebook has for logging in.

Let's say hatcheries start allowing the option of you giving your email address when you add your eggs/hatchlings, and when you give your email, a notification email can be sent to your email address every time your scrollname is used in the system. Maybe you can even have it tag your IP address, so any time an IP not matching yours enters your scroll, you get emailed about it. (Might be annoying if your IP is dynamic or you use the site from various computers, but stay with me here...)

If anyone here is like me, they have a few hatcheries they prefer to use to get their babies hatched and grown up. If we give our emails to a large number of hatcheries, even ones we don't normally use, it might help defeat viewbombers.

While sifting through the emails might be tedious(unless you create an email folder just for those smile.gif ), the benefit might be the day you check your email and see your scroll added somewhere when you know you didn't add it. You can then go to that hatchery and remove your dragons.

It won't be signing up. The email address can be optional for those who prefer not to give theirs.

I don't know how to code this, I'm no coder, but is it possible?