Red2111

Discussion on View Bombing

This morning I caught a Gold egg from the cave. I had it less than 7 minutes and had not entered a single hatchery/click/view site. It got the following stats:

Views: 207

Unique Views: 100

Clicks: 2

I have it fogged. But in order to influence it, I have to unfog it. dry.gif This is the first time I have had an issue with this.

Anyway, one of the things that would help is seeing where the egg is getting views from so that the people posting them can at least be tracked. After all, it is against the site rules to "help" without having permission. And I have my permissions to help turned off!

The other is that all hatcheries have the eggs/hatchlings removed if they are fogged. This would help those of us that are getting viewed bombed as we would at least be able to get them removed from the most common hatcheries.

It is sad that people are this nasty...

This morning I caught a Gold egg from the cave. I had it less than 7 minutes and had not entered a single hatchery/click/view site. It got the following stats:

Views: 207

Unique Views: 100

Clicks: 2

I have it fogged. But in order to influence it, I have to unfog it. dry.gif This is the first time I have had an issue with this.

Anyway, one of the things that would help is seeing where the egg is getting views from so that the people posting them can at least be tracked. After all, it is against the site rules to "help" without having permission. And I have my permissions to help turned off!

The other is that all hatcheries have the eggs/hatchlings removed if they are fogged. This would help those of us that are getting viewed bombed as we would at least be able to get them removed from the most common hatcheries.

It is sad that people are this nasty...

You only have to unfog for a minute to influence. It seems to work OK.

Been there; lost four COMMON eggs in one night - you have my sympathy.

But I don't think there is a way TJ can track what happens in hatcheries. The issue - too - is more who puts things in hatcheries without permission. And you can't actually stop them - even if it were stopped for hatcheries, they can use autorefreshers and proxies and so on. Vigilance is the only answer.

You only have to unfog for a minute to influence. It seems to work OK.

Been there; lost four COMMON eggs in one night - you have my sympathy.

But I don't think there is a way TJ can track what happens in hatcheries. The issue - too - is more who puts things in hatcheries without permission. And you can't actually stop them - even if it were stopped for hatcheries, they can use autorefreshers and proxies and so on. Vigilance is the only answer.

I hear you Fuzzbucket. I am just whining wink.gif and I will stop now as there is no real harm done other than I now have to babysit the stupid thing instead of doing my normal routine.

I am trying to see what everyone else is doing as it seems that only this one egg is being bothered. I also have been trying to see what the trolls are using as places to check. I just saw this thread and thought I would add to the list of people having issues.

I now have all the rest of my dragons on my scroll fogged except for those I want to hatch right now just in case someone tries to do worse.

And I did take the recommendation to hide my user name from showing on the dragon's page. Good thing I love ER eggs and hatchies. I will have no issues getting them to adults that way.

Why do dragons get sick anyway ? It seems like just giving a weapon to malicious people, with no benefit.

There's probably a few reasons dragons get sick. It's more life like to have them get sick and possibly die. I mean, everyone dies eventually.

Plus, it's good to have the challenge of having to watch your eggs grow, fogging them at the right time. It's one of the challenging aspects of dragon cave that makes it unique and interesting.

I don't know, it opens up users to the ugly side of other people's petty vendettas and has little positive aspects.

I used to think this risk was challenging and fun, then I started playing on chicken Smoothie where no pet gets sick ever and it was such a relief! Of course there are jerks and petty people at CS but over there I just block them from trading with me and I don't have to deal with it. Here on DC I am helpless sad.gif

Ah well, I love DC but some things here could be made easier for good respectful users.

I think part of the reason for dragon sickness, at least historically, was to cut down on server strain caused by people piling on as many views as possible in raising their dragons.

I think part of the reason for dragon sickness, at least historically, was to cut down on server strain caused by people piling on as many views as possible in raising their dragons.

I'd think also to make players LOOK AFTER their stuff ?

Popping in here to ask if anyone has seen an uptick in view bombing where only one or two eggs are targetted on a scroll at a time? First I know that viewings go up during new releases, but I've just had to fog two eggs which started racking up views fairly quickly.

This has happened for about the past two months. One egg would be targeted at a time, most of the time me not noticing until it got enough views to make it sick. Honestly I'm glad I caught the two new release eggs before they got sick, but the rand pattern means I can't anticipate this persons picks.

Edit: Okay perhaps its not my 'single egg helper'. All new release eggs started racking up views like crazy sad.gif

Edited by brairtrainer

Views do rachet up over new release egg times so be aware of this and leaving any unprotected eggs. I have noticed a lot of people who announce their fresh caught shinies that some have been getting viewbombed and someone in congrats thread had two die..

If there are genuine concerns players will have to be vigilant with their eggs, hide scroll when not about, fog fresh caught eggs that can be prone to sickness,etc. It is a shame to take these precautions but only way to protect your young ones..

Edited by lilacamy931

Views do rachet up over new release egg times so be aware of this and leaving any unprotected eggs. I have noticed a lot of people who announce their fresh caught shinies that some have been getting viewbombed and someone in congrats thread had two die..

If there are genuine concerns players will have to be vigilant with their eggs, hide scroll when not about, fog fresh caught eggs that can be prone to sickness,etc. It is a shame to take these precautions but only way to protect your young ones..

The thing is I only use EATW, and I've put eggs in there at 7 days and they don't get 10-30 views until they start getting down to 6 days and some odd hours. So the only way I could be picking up views is either I'm suddenly super popular on the forum or someone added the new release eggs elsewhere.

Have you had a look through the main click sites to see if ticked elsewhere? If go wiki the common ones are there and might be worth checking out?

I haven't, I've been mostly just checking on the views every couple of minutes. I'm doing research for a class for school, and typically keep DC up so I can check on my eggs intermitently through out the day.

I have never view-bombed before nor have I been view-bombed. However, I gave of of my friends who was just getting started on DC gold. He also had some friction with another forum member (I forget the name of this member, and even if I did know it I wouldn't share it with you). This person told my friend that he was going to kill the gold. My friend laughed it off. A few days later, the gold died. My friend quit DC.

I have never view-bombed before nor have I been view-bombed. However, I gave of of my friends who was just getting started on DC gold. He also had some friction with another forum member (I forget the name of this member, and even if I did know it I wouldn't share it with you). This person told my friend that he was going to kill the gold. My friend laughed it off. A few days later, the gold died. My friend quit DC.

Andy, that's awful. I've heard some bad cases, but killing someone's rare dragon, one of their first dragons, and killing it during one if their first couple days on dragon cave is just awful. People who do that are just mean and cruel.

The thing is I only use EATW, and I've put eggs in there at 7 days and they don't get 10-30 views until they start getting down to 6 days and some odd hours. So the only way I could be picking up views is either I'm suddenly super popular on the forum or someone added the new release eggs elsewhere.

EATW does put random eggs in sigs o high traffic forums elsewhere; that can rack up views very fast... I don't use them except to ER. I have noted that the new eggs are clocking up view fast though.

I had a quick nosy on your scroll on the top 5 I use ( dont worry did not add any I wouldnt be that horrible): Dragon Hatch, Dragon Dump, Silvis, EATW and Neglected.

All clear, the majority of yours is in EATW, there is a thunder hatchie on silvis - that is not to say they are not elsewhere as there are other sites but when people have mentioned viewbombing before those above seem to be where a lot are at. Hopefully it is high traffic not viewbombing at this time..

That is awful Andy12 sad.gif if they ever want to come back we have mentors etc that can guide and give good advice. It won't stop people out with intention but they would get some good tips.

EATW does put random eggs in sigs o high traffic forums elsewhere; that can rack up views very fast... I don't use them except to ER. I have noted that the new eggs are clocking up view fast though.

That's the reason I never use EAtW; it's too easy for an egg to go from healthy to dead in just a few hours. I generally just use Valley Sherwood and Neglected. If I feel they need a bit more when they've hit the hatching stage, I'll stick them in Silvi's as well.

@Andy12: That sort of threat should have been relayed by your friend to a mod or TJ. It's the sort of thing that should not be tolerated regardless of where you're posting, Andy12. I second lilacamy931's idea that if your friend ever decides to come back, to request a mentor for help and advice.

I've been view bombed in the distant past, when I had only been playing about 3 or 4 months. I had no idea about that being a possibility until one of my dragons almost died and I found a thread discussing it here on the forum. At the time there had been a rash of them happening, and not to rare dragons (and my Earth dragon certainly wasn't anything resembling rare) and I was one of the lucky ones who caught it before my dragon died.

While I've seen some nice ideas, I have to agree that vigilance is probably the best thing. Take your name off your dragon's view pages. Fog your eggs and hatchies when you're not at your computer to keep track of them if you feel it's really a threat.

The signing through the API (the re-route to sign-in through DC) to put eggs in a hatchery using your DC sign-in I'm against. Having a registration that's separate for a site, like for Daily Dragon Fix is fine; if that get's hacked, you're not hosed here, there, and everywhere else as well.

I'd rather not have to register for places, because, heck, I have a gazillion passwords for so many sites now, I really don't need more. That's part of why I don't use DDF any longer.

Having some kind of email alert if one or more of your dragons is sick may be an idea though. Hmm....

I had a quick nosy on your scroll on the top 5 I use ( dont worry did not add any I wouldnt be that horrible): Dragon Hatch, Dragon Dump, Silvis, EATW and Neglected.

All clear, the majority of yours is in EATW, there is a thunder hatchie on silvis - that is not to say they are not elsewhere as there are other sites but when people have mentioned viewbombing before those above seem to be where a lot are at. Hopefully it is high traffic not viewbombing at this time..

That is awful Andy12 sad.gif if they ever want to come back we have mentors etc that can guide and give good advice. It won't stop people out with intention but they would get some good tips.

Thanks for doing the check lila. I knew the thunder wasn't in EATW (got it as a trade, I don't put traded eggs in ers unless i can tell they aren't anywhere else.) I'm guessing it was just a fluke for now, since EATW does remove eggs from rotation.

It's unbelievable how this viewbombing is still an issue, and how some people can just be so inconsiderate and cruel when they can't get their precious dragons. *sarcasm* I've never been given the bomb before but I can sympathize the pain of those whose dragons became helpless victims and have either survived or not. I even find it disgusting for people to do this to new releases when most likely they will be a permanent addition to one or more of the biomes and there are plenty of chances to grab them whenever possible.

When I was in one of the hatcheries to link in my eggs from the latest release earlier today, I noticed how there were a few low-time hatchies dead from being overwhelmed with views. Immediately, I removed my eggs.

To be honest, from my observation, EATW only give massive views to ERs. If you add an >5D egg, you can only receive a few views from EATW. But the time it reach, or close to ER, the view bomb up rapidly.

And the "random eggs on sig" seem to be eggs at higher priority, they need views to hatch in time. And EATW dose remove them from rotation after they hatched.

But yeah, in order not to get your dragons been viewbomb, the best way is to fog them ASAP.

Edited by Shelybear

There seems to be a lot of dead hatchlings in draghatch at the moment    0.o

Anyone know what's going on?

http://draghatch.tk/

The auto-cleaner is not working, and Evina is unable to fix it right now due to RL things. So, if people do not remove them once they hatch, they keep getting views. It is up to users to watch their hatchies (which is always the case anyway). Nothing to do with view bombing at all.

Edited by ainisarie

This just happened to me. Someone apparently got upset that I caught a CB Copper they wanted, and tried to kill my eggs. I, of course, fogged them and took them off all the fansites I use. However, they seem to be added on some site that doesn't remove fogged eggs as the egg I'm trading keeps gaining views.

So I guess I'm keeping everything fogged until they are ER. I hid my UserName and my Scroll, at least until this batch grows up. Very sad, as I truly enjoy allowing others to see my dragons and find my Scroll through lineages.

[edit] I think I found the last site they were added to and removed them.

Edited by WatersMoon110

That's just mean and cruel. You got that egg fair and square, and that's that. I get frustrated when I miss a cool egg, but I just go see the stat page and copy down the code, but no one should ever be so cruel as to kill or try to kill an egg or hatching they didn't get.