Red2111

Discussion on View Bombing

Ouch! Please accept my sympathy, and a suggestion to Fog any such lucky catches/trades immediately - there are, unfortunately, some very sick people out there who like making other people miserable if they see that they happen to have had any good fortune.

It was a CB Gold Egg. sad.gif

I didn't realize the stunning didn't work on eggs. Thanks!

I heard the same from other people. There is someone around that targets CB metals and can generate a big amount of views very fast. More than you would expect even adding the eggs to all hatcheries. The person targets not only eggs but also hatchlings. Fog the eggs you care about as soon as you catch them. Unfog them just to hatch them and fog again once they hatch.

I heard the same from other people. There is someone around that targets CB metals and can generate a big amount of views very fast. More than you would expect even adding the eggs to all hatcheries. The person targets not only eggs but also hatchlings. Fog the eggs you care about as soon as you catch them. Unfog them just to hatch them and fog again once they hatch.

What kind of monster would do that? That's just mean ;-;

Hatcheries should make you log in before being able to put eggs. Sure, it's a bit longer, but if it saves ᵈʳᵃᵍᵒᶰˢ lives, it could be worth it!

What kind of monster would do that? That's just mean ;-;

Hatcheries should make you log in before being able to put eggs. Sure, it's a bit longer, but if it saves ᵈʳᵃᵍᵒᶰˢ lives, it could be worth it!

Even if you manage to lock down all hatcheries, unfortunately, you still don't solve the view-bombing problem. The only real way to fix view bombing is to change the site mechanics - i.e. changing the one place that every view bombing has to go through, the site itself. skauble has an excellent idea how to fix it, for example.

Edited by pinkgothic

i think that tj should just get rid of death by sickness

Supposedly sickness exists so people dont saddle the game with more views then necessary but sickness could be replaced with breed speciffic a view cap, since different breeds need different view counts, sure people would eventually figure out the view cap for each breed but that's not the end of the world.

Supposedly sickness exists so people dont saddle the game with more views then necessary but sickness could be replaced with breed speciffic a view cap, since different breeds need different view counts, sure people would eventually figure out the view cap for each breed but that's not the end of the world.

I'm not sure that would work, either. An egg that is only a few hours old could still get enough views to kill it that way -- all the views needed to become an adult would be too much for a new egg.

but what if it was changed so that sickness only made your egg take longer to hatch instead of killing it?

so like lets say with views, you need a set amount of views to hatch an egg, 1500 for a neo egg 3500 for a gold egg. if your egg becomes sick it automatically gains views slower and gains an extra day in wait time.

now your egg can still die if it doesnt hatch in time

At first, I wanted to object to the idea of removing sickness, but I realized I don't have any solid arguments. At this point in the game, what useful purpose does sickness actually serve, honestly? Is "getting too many views" REALLY a problem in a modern computing environment? TBH I'm not convinced it was that big a deal even when DC began, but surely at this point the server can handle however many views we care to get. It's hardly a lot of storage just to add another number to a counter.

And if the issue is gameplay, then I would suggest that the entire problem is based on mere arbitrary features of the game. I don't see how having a bunch more views than strictly necessary is inherently a gameplay problem unless the game is set up to MAKE it be a problem (which is how it is now).

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I realize the sickness mechanic is simply bad game design. All it really does is upset newbies who are still learning the game for no good reason and open up established players to viewbombing. If you understand the game, sickness basically does not exist, in a usual sense. Your eggs will not get sick at all unless your hatchery is suddenly more active than normal, in which case you just fog it for a couple of hours and it's fixed, or someone is harassing you. Which means it essentially does nothing but punish newbies, and allow a form of harassment. IMO that is a bad feature.

Edited by Lurhstaap

To be honest, there's no need even to do that. I don't understand why it's even an issue to have unlimited view counting. In 2016, almost 2017, that really can't be that big a deal, can it?

Edited by Lurhstaap

the server might be an old fashioned one and moving to a better one might be too expensive or too time consuming for tj. if thats the case then i think a limited amount of views need to hatch, gender and grow up would work well

the server might be an old fashioned one and moving to a better one might be too expensive or too time consuming for tj. if thats the case then i think a limited amount of views need to hatch, gender and grow up would work well

To be honest, I doubt that's the case. I used to run a semi-similar website, and the server costs, while they do matter, are not THAT expensive if you have a reasonable revenue stream. Which TJ does. In fact, you can see that his server costs are largely if not entirely being covered by the players on the Donations page. We probably don't have the most modern server possible, but I doubt it's anything close to a creaky relic.

I'm not sure that would work, either. An egg that is only a few hours old could still get enough views to kill it that way -- all the views needed to become an adult would be too much for a new egg.

then the mechanics would need to change, death from overviewing is unnecessary if there is a view cap.

Edited by blockEdragon

Hide your scroll or fog everything when you're offline. Problem solved.

Good advice, especially during the holidays. Two of my hollies are sick, they were viewbombed, but I'm sure it was an accident because I don't know many people on here, I don't trade that much and I don't breed that many things because I either get "refused" or "no egg produced". People were probably curious to look at the Holly lineages so I fogged all my eggs besides the 2 that got view bombed.

Last week an avatar hatchling, from a silver and a GoN, got view bombed but I was able to save it. I'm going to fog everything when I go offline tonight.

At this point in the game, what useful purpose does sickness actually serve, honestly? Is "getting too many views" REALLY a problem in a modern computing environment?

It also serves the purpose of keeping people involved rather than 'come to site, catch eggs, incubate & shove them in hatchery' and leaving for three days.

Honestly, I have sympathy for people as I have lost eggs to sickness as well. But it's so easily avoidable that I never understand the constant complaints about it.

It also serves the purpose of keeping people involved rather than 'come to site, catch eggs, incubate & shove them in hatchery' and leaving for three days.

Honestly, I have sympathy for people as I have lost eggs to sickness as well. But it's so easily avoidable that I never understand the constant complaints about it.

I don't really think sickness should be needed to impose further engagement from users to the site. I mean, DC is designed to be a game that spaces several days between activities in different ways. BSA & breeding cool downs and the time it takes for dragons to hatch and mature are proper examples. What's the point of coming back to check on your eggs when nothing new necessarily happens? Why should sickness impose a certain amount of engagement or activity from users? If anything, DC lets everyone play at their own rhythm, their own style. People can also take much longer than three days to hatch an egg if so they desire. As for easy to avoid sickness, it may be, by having to hide eggs or an entire scroll but I see it as an option that's a bit annoying. It's good for those who want privacy, on the other hand. It can also take longer to hatch eggs, say if I'm gone for a long period of time the eggs receive less views. In my case, I like to visit other people's scrolls, and also enjoy others sifting through mine as long as no harm is done. Why should this aspect of sharing our collections be hindered by the existence of dragon sickness?

Overall view on dragon illness: It's only detrimental to DC and a mechanic that doesn't have a positive aspect attached to it, only the risk of potential loss. It can be used by particularly mean-spirited users to harm others' dragons if desired, which is never pleasant.

This is going to sound odd, but has anyone experienced reverse view-bombing?

I added my whole scroll into the 3 Hatcheries I use this morning, and just now I went to go add an egg to the ER, and I had to re-add my whole scroll again.

Very peculiar. unsure.gif

sigh... once again someone is 'helping' by adding all my eggs to any site they can. Just went to most & deleted everything AGAIN.

I've had to hide my scroll due to this happening recently. I wish the fansites could trace the people adding scrolls, would quickly put a stop to this I'm sure. I do like the sites that are password protected. I'm not sure how hard that is to code, but is nice to have that security.

Had my scroll hit again today. 1 CB Gold and 3 CB Silvers were sick. Good thing I got home when I did; they'd probably be dead otherwise.

I've had to hide my scroll due to this happening recently. I wish the fansites could trace the people adding scrolls, would quickly put a stop to this I'm sure. I do like the sites that are password protected. I'm not sure how hard that is to code, but is nice to have that security.

I like the ones that don't require passwords or logging in...it makes it faster for me to toss my eggs/hatchlings in them.

---

How do you propose for them to trace the people adding scrolls? Would it be via them having to make an account to add a scroll and it could only be one scroll per account?

I'm not really sure how else they could trace it...besides IP address or something........

Hi, can people PLEASE STOP viewbombing my eggs/scroll, I'm rather annoyed atm because 2 pairs of my dragons had shimmer eggs TODAY 20/02/17& I go on dragcave...darn it they've had over 120 views... :/ now they are sick & I had to fog them.. enough is enough already..PLEASE no more views ... mad.gifsad.gif & a pink I bred on 16th was sick until I fogged it.. so please STOP TY Rachii sad.gif

I don't viewbomb other people's eggs/scrolls & make their eggs sick..so please leave them alone.. ohmy.gif

Edited by rachii.xo