Red2111

Discussion on View Bombing

(this topic has been approved by Rubyshoes)

Okay first let me start off by stating how much i LOVE hatcheries. without these sites and the donated time and effort of other dragon tenders, raising dragons for me would be near impossible.

i perosnally use about 7 or 8 different ones and try to donate as many views as possible to other eggies. there are also other added goodies to sites like NoD an EatW that make trading and keepign tack of BSA's a breeze (the Inbred tracker, lineage view and Incubate Tracker are literal life savers and headache releavers btw)

now priases and thanks set aside, there has been a massive increase in a malicous activity known as "Viewbombing". most of us know what this is, many of us (including myself now) have been subject to it and more importantly many eggs have been killed because of this malicous spiteful activity. and sadly, our beloved hatcheries make this spiteful behavior easy to do, even if our scrolls or scroll names are hidden.

for those of you who don't know what view bombing is; its when a person copies the code of an egg (or in some cases a persons scroll name) into many hatcheries with the aim of making them sick and killing them.

most people will suggest doing these main things to avoid view bombing.

- hide your scroll name from teh egg view page

- fog any new catches for the first 24 hours

but this alone wont always prevent the malcious person form accomplishing their goal. (for instance, eggs in a trade cannot, nor should they be, fogged)

A lot of hatcheries only require egg code to enter them in, in the case of a very spiteful person (either becuase their that upset over missing a CB Gold, someone succedding in a ND experement, or they may even have a personal grudge agaisnt a specific user for whatever petty reason) doesn't prevent them from being able to viewbomb the egg eventually.

also, i've noticed that some hatcheries do not kick out fogged eggs; which means if you don't know what hatchery their in once you unfog them they will start gaining views again. and a person with a vendetta to settle will only need to continue checking to see when the egg is unfogged to mass enter it into hatcheries

I think that if all Hatcheries were to switch to requiring scroll names to enter in egg codes; this maybe enough to deter most of the spiteful malcious jerks out there. it wont cure all of them, but it is imo the easiest solution to a growing prolem within our community.

ofcourse, the ultamite solution and best imo would be to require the scroll name and password (like what we do for listing trades on EatW's Dragon Trader) but only if this first option doesn't really do much to solve the issue.

point is, whatever the solution we come to; i do thnk a serious and realstic solution to this growing problem needs to be addressed; as IP tracing for the offending parties or a list of hatcheries our eggs are currently in on our scrolls is not only time consuming but unrealistic.

Edited by Red2111

now priases and thanks set aside, there has been a massive increase in a malicous activity known as "Viewbombing".

Could you tell me your data source? Not disbelieving you, I'd just like to know more about what's going on.

I think that if all Hatcheries were to switch to requiring scroll names to enter in egg codes; this maybe enough to deter most of the spiteful malcious jerks out there.

I don't think that would happen, really. There's no ownership check on any fansite I know of at the moment (even though TJ's API (which I very admittedly have yet to look at, personally) offers a verification system that fansites could use). I'd think having to add each code individually would be a greater deterrence than just having to enter the scroll name and get a convenient list of all viewbombable hatchlings and eggs? I don't know. I have to admit I find it difficult to think like someone who wants to just kill an egg or hatchling out of spite (short of as in retaliation to being spammed, or something, where I consider it at least an 'understandable' emotional reaction).

ofcourse, the ultamite solution and best imo would be to require the scroll name and password (like what we do for listing trades on EatW's Dragon Trader) but only if this first option doesn't really do much to solve the issue.

I don't think this is a viable option, sadly - I personally wouldn't want to give my Dragon Cave password to a third party website. There are non-password verification methods, like OpenID or OAuth; which I'd assume is what the API offers (...I really should look :|), but requires care implementing.

as IP tracing for the offending parties or a list of hatcheries our eggs are currently in on our scrolls is not only time consuming but unrealistic.

I personally would love to see a section on our scroll where we can see where views and clicks are coming from. That would potentially make viewbombing clear(er), and distinguish it from 'there's a new release and more activity on the sites you're used to using, so you're getting more views than usual and it's making your eggs sick' (which is often mistaken for viewbombing by those who are unaware of the quite noticeable activity fluctuations Dragon Cave can experience).

I remember a suggestion floating about this forum at one point that people could optionally choose to whitelist fansites they use as a source of views and clicks, preventing views and clicks from other sources to register. I'd also still be in favour of that.

Of course, both of those things would require a change to Dragon Cave and so I'm not expecting it to happen, but those are the sorts of alternatives I'd personally prefer.

(Note/Caveat: I have never been viewbombed.)

I have never had a problem with viewbombing. I trade a lot, gift a lot, accept a lot of gifts, never a problem.

Except once, where I did not check the views on a Gold I traded for and never realised I should have fogged it right away. Unfortunately the egg died soon after the trade. But that was definitely not malicious, the other party apologised and tried to get me another Gold egg.

Could you tell me your data source? Not disbelieving you, I'd just like to know more about what's going on.

theres been multiple people in the new release thread complaining of havign their scrolls veiw bombed, as well as in other threads and in PMs.

i've been an active member on this forum for 6 new releases now, and this is the first release i've seen more than a hand ful of people openly stating they've been view bombed.

also, i myself fell victim to this type of attack during the this recent release. its the first and last time i want to fall victim to this type of malicous assualt on my scroll.

i've also talked to numerous perople who have been lucky enough to snag a CB Metal from teh cave, only to have some petty sore loosers enter their lucky snags into hatcheries because they weren't quick enough. these peopel had their scrolls hidden, but the petty jerks had the code becuase it's listed in the http bar of your browser reguardless if you successfully nab the egg or not.

I don't think that would happen, really. There's no ownership check on any fansite I know of at the moment (even though TJ's API (which I very admittedly have yet to look at, personally) offers a verification system that fansites could use). I'd think having to add each code individually would be a greater deterrence than just having to enter the scroll name and get a convenient list of all viewbombable hatchlings and eggs? I don't know. I have to admit I find it difficult to think like someone who wants to just kill an egg or hatchling out of spite (short of as in retaliation to being spammed, or something, where I consider it at least an 'understandable' emotional reaction).

its not easier if its an instance like with the above CB Metal example. and Eggs Around the Word has a verfication check for adding any dragons on the Dragon Trader portion

even out of retaliation this type of behavior is, imo, not good. if your being spammed you can always come here nad contact a site mod with their scroll name so they can handle it. honeslty, imo, this type of behavior may make the person feel a bit better at them time but in the long run Karma will come back to get them

I don't think this is a viable option, sadly - I personally wouldn't want to give my Dragon Cave password to a third party website. There are non-password verification methods, like OpenID or OAuth; which I'd assume is what the API offers (...I really should look :|), but requires care implementing.

the other thought is to have each site require registration of some sort. either by confirming the addition on your scroll before its added or requiring users to register for an account to log in and add eggs to the hatchery and only allowing them to offically add one scroll (for mass egg imput)

this way theres a record of whose entering what code and if someone finds that tehre egg is on a site without permission thenthey can contact the site owner and it can be traced back to who added it.

I personally would love to see a section on our scroll where we can see where views and clicks are coming from. That would potentially make viewbombing clear(er), and distinguish it from 'there's a new release and more activity on the sites you're used to using, so you're getting more views than usual and it's making your eggs sick' (which is often mistaken for viewbombing by those who are unaware of the quite noticeable activity fluctuations Dragon Cave can experience).

nah its pretty obvious when an egg has been view bombed if you don't have your eggs in any hatcheries or on any sites and they get 1700+ views in less than 24 hours *nods*

but i'd also love a section like that on our Scrolls (as well as more BSA tracker options and an offical trading section lmao but thats a differnet can of worms)

another idea bouncing aroudn is adding a BSA that automatically fogs an egg that becomes sick. i'd support this option too. but it doens't solve the root of the problem, which is the spiteful people.

I remember a suggestion floating about this forum at one point that people could optionally choose to whitelist fansites they use as a source of views and clicks, preventing views and clicks from other sources to register. I'd also still be in favour of that.

that woudl be a good option as well. but the bad part is that this option as well as a Tracker list on our scrolls would liekly require way too much coding, way too much time and way to much effort on TJ's part sad.gif

in reality, having the hatcheries become aware of this problem (that it seems to be on an increase) and getting them to take a more proactive approach to helping deter it seems the easier option for the time being

I've never personally had a problem with my eggs getting view bombed, but it happened to someone I gifted a silver egg to a few weeks ago. When I found out what had happened, I gave her a new silver egg with an even better lineage.

I don't understand why people do it; if you're envious of someone else's egg, you can post it on your wish list or join a gifting thread and you'll get one too before very long. DC people are very generous. It's just spiteful to view bomb.

I like the idea of the hatcheries checking the IDs of people who enter eggs, but I can see two potential issues with this: 1) as pinkgothic mentioned above, I wouldn't want to give my DC password to any 3rd party site, no matter how trustworthy, for security reasons, and 2) some people add newbies' eggs to sites to genuinely try to help when they have the "owner is accepting help" option turned on. I'd still like that option to be available.

Just wanted to say, that I wouldn't use a fan site that required my DC password no matter how trustworthy the site is.

I've never had a problem with viewbombing but then I fog everything when I'm not on the computer. I'm also lucky in that I have computer access pretty much all day long so I can check my scroll frequently and fog if needed.

theres been multiple people in the new release thread complaining of havign their scrolls veiw bombed, as well as in other threads and in PMs.

How much of that is genuine viewbombing, and how much of that is people not understanding the influx of activity? How do you tell the difference? (Honest question.) Is your criterion that someone just has to feel like they're view-bombed for it to be such? (Note: Despite the provocative wording, that would be an entirely acceptable definition for me. Without TJ's site logs effectively any delineation is automatically arbitrary on our part, after all.)

i've also talked to numerous perople who have been lucky enough to snag a CB Metal from teh cave, only to have some petty sore loosers enter their lucky snags into hatcheries because they weren't quick enough.  these peopel had their scrolls hidden, but the petty jerks had the code becuase it's listed in the http bar of your browser reguardless if you successfully nab the egg or not.

I hate to be 'that person', but if you get a CB metal, shouldn't you fog it? Yes, it doesn't protect from malicious activity once you unfog it, but it's quite easy to wait until it passes the four day marker and then unfog it for a moment to toss it into a few ERs and get it to hatch in a half hour window while watching its stats, then refog.

its not easier if its an instance like with the above CB Metal example.

That hardly classes as a persistent vendetta against an individual, then, though - that's 'only' a bout of jealousy. That makes it really easy to combat - fog the egg when you get it, then unfog it a day (or two, if you want to be sure) later, and most jealous-rage-motivated viewbombers would be long cured of their bout of jealousy by then. It takes effort to track an egg, and it takes a lot of bad blood to want to invest that effort if the owner is fogging it. (Not to mention a night's sleep knocks sense into a lot of people even if the time waking alone does not. ;D)

and Eggs Around the Word has a verfication check for adding any dragons on the Dragon Trader portion

With a password, if I understood you correctly, right? I like EAtW and trust the owner, but I still wouldn't give it my password. (For clarity, it has nothing to do with trust and everything with the knowledge that pet project websites (my own absolutely without doubt included - so this isn't elitism) are usually riddled with security holes that might allow them to be compromised.)

The API's authorisation capabilities (which, btw, are disabled for scrolls that allow help if I recall the official statement correctly (please don't take my word for it!), so helping people who have expressly stated they want help would still be possible) aren't used anywhere yet to my knowledge.

even out of retaliation this type of behavior is, imo, not good.  if your being spammed you can always come here nad contact a site mod with their scroll name so they can handle it.  honeslty, imo, this type of behavior may make the person feel a bit better at them time but in the long run Karma will come back to get them

I said I understand the psychology behind it in that one case (presumably 1% of all viewbombing cases, honestly, thus irrelevant), I wasn't justifying it - but you should at least know Dragon Cave isn't famous for being anti-spam. Spammed parties aren't going to feel like they have an audience - and they honestly don't, even if they're making only a general enquiry about DC policies. But it's hard to be a successful pet site while being eager about protecting sites that don't want your stuff, though, so don't misunderstand that as a dig. It's not. It's just how things are.

this way theres a record of whose entering what code and if someone finds that tehre egg is on a site without permission thenthey can contact the site owner and it can be traced back to who added it.

For what it's worth, DDF does this; but then, it's hardly a prime candidate for view bombing, it's click-oriented and it shows in the stats it generates. laugh.gif

nah its pretty obvious when an egg has been view bombed if you don't have your eggs in any hatcheries or on any sites and they get 1700+ views in less than 24 hours *nods*

Hey, it's obvious to me and you because we have scenarios like that, but I've seen plenty "...oh, right!"-style false positives in my lifetime. I assure you, it's not at all obvious for all people. A lot of players go "...eep, my eggs are getting more views than usual and getting sick, something malicious must be happening" when the 'culprit' is only the raised activity. (Which is still a shame when it happens, mind you.)

but it doens't solve the root of the problem, which is the spiteful people.

I guess I feel the trouble with your proposal is that even if 90% of the numerous fansites follow your suggestion (which would be a phenomenal turn-out, honestly), the 10% would still be plenty as a viewbombing platform, not to mention any potential new sites that pop up well after this thread's been buried on page three+.

That's why I'd ideally like to see the problem addressed on the side of Dragon Cave, insomuch as it can be combated there.

but the bad part is that this option as well as a Tracker list on our scrolls would liekly require way too much coding, way too much time and way to much effort on TJ's part  sad.gif

I'd love to think I have a decent grasp of the amount of work that would need to be done, since I'm a professional webdeveloper, but the fact of the matter is that I don't know how Dragon Cave's server-side code looks and can only stipulate. There could be parts of it that make it difficult, even if I can't fathom them right now.

Which is to say... smile.gif I think only TJ can decide if it would be difficult to do.

in reality, having the hatcheries become aware of this problem (that it seems to be on an increase) and getting them to take a more proactive approach to helping deter it seems the easier option for the time being

I have to admit I don't think so, but: Good luck!

Just to mention, there are reasons other than malicious View-bombing for people's eggs/hatchies to be miss-entered into fansites or otherwise pick up even very large numbers of Views quite quickly.

In example, there have been issues with people manually typing codes and getting a digit wrong, (as it's easy to confuse some letters/numbers,) and entering someone else's baby by accident while wondering why their entered dragons aren't getting the Views they need and adding more fansites, possibly using the same incorrect code...

Copy-pasting codes solves that, but newer people may take a while to learn about this.

Also, the New Release thread was specified as reporting problems, and there is commonly a problem with people having sick/killed babies due to sometimes vastly increased numbers of entries during New Releases.

Using one or two slower sites for new eggs/hatchies and keeping a watch, or fogging when it's not possible to watch closely, has often been recommended, as thousands of Views can be added within a relatively short period, especially if multiple sites are used.

I don't know if this still holds true or not, but I believe that Eggs Around the World used to sometimes have highly variable View rates, depending on how rotations went, or some such thing, although that may well have changed.

(This is just a vague memory about problems I heard about some time back, when very large Views would suddenly sicken dragons on that site, out of the blue.)

But I don't think there are really all that many people that petty and... childish sounds insulting to children... immature? as to Viewbomb other people's dragons - they don't even get anything out of it themselves, after all, except the knowledge that they're scummy in a rather pathetic way, lol.

Just my opinion, really, but the current system seems to work well virtually all of the time, and I suspect that the suggested changes likely would not prevent most cases of sudden too-high rates of View increase.

Edit: to add that it would, indeed, be nice to be able to see on your scroll where Views are coming from, and then if one ever did have such a problem, one could remove one's dragons from the particular places they weren't supposed to be in.

But that doesn't seem likely to be a priority, as actual View-bombing really hasn't been a frequent occurrence affecting most people, and one certainly hopes it won't ever become one.

Re-edit: pinkgothic made a lot of excellent points, one of which I'd like to add to.

Even if ALL fansites had protections against others entering people's eggs, there are many other sites where eggs can be posted that are not fansites.

There was even one which where eggs were being posted specifically to kill people's DC eggs - if I recall correctly, there were a number of people upset at DC eggs being spammed there.

I'm sorry, but there's really no way to keep our eggs entirely safe, without keeping a watch out and fogging when that isn't possible.

Edited by Syphoneira

I'll say that, in my time here on the forum, I haven't really seen an increase in complaints about view bombing. Really about the same. Every once in a while, someone comes along asking about a possible viewbombing and then people answer and share their experience if they've had one. Sometimes during higher traffic times people also being to get more worried about views. o3o

I really appreciate when I can choose either my scrollname or a code. It'd kind of defeat the purpose, in the times I just want to use the code to also have to insert my scrollname. x3

We have lots of suggestions on protection, fogging, and fogging BSAs that you might be interested in.

Adults can guard eggs/hatchlings: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=16061

Hide/Unhide All: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=92431

Active Fogging BSA: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=136142

Fog or Mist BSA: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=132379

Storm BSA: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=119904

Or any of the heal/cure BSA suggestions for whites.

And there's also this topic on the fansite API data, which includes some things that at least one fansite owner pointed out would need changed for them to want to use it: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=124739

I don't remember my opinion on that at the time, but I do enjoy the ease of access for fansites and I'd probably switch to accepting aid if fansites started using the log in. /lazy

I'll also bring up an argument that came up a lot in the above linked topic: most viewbombing is really going to be done by use of active forums and autorefreshers, of which this suggestion doesn't really help with, unfortunately.

With a password, if I understood you correctly, right? I like EAtW and trust the owner, but I still wouldn't give it my password. (For clarity, it has nothing to do with trust and everything with the knowledge that pet project websites (my own absolutely without doubt included - so this isn't elitism) are usually riddled with security holes that might allow them to be compromised.)

The API's authorisation capabilities (which, btw, are disabled for scrolls that allow help if I recall the official statement correctly (please don't take my word for it!), so helping people who have expressly stated they want help would still be possible) aren't used anywhere yet to my knowledge.

No, EATW uses the API authorisation. The passwort is never given to EATW, instead EATW redirects you to the dragcave where the authentification is done and the dragcave then directs you back to EATW with a session token.

API authorisation is available for all scrolls, not only those who disabled help by others.

No, EATW uses the API authorisation. The passwort is never given to EATW, instead EATW redirects you to the dragcave where the authentification is done and the dragcave then directs you back to EATW with a session token.

Awesome, score, thanks for the heads-up! I'm stoked to hear the authorisation feature of the API is finding use!

API authorisation is available for all scrolls, not only those who disabled help by others.

Hmm, that's strange. Doesn't that disable the ability to help people on sites that require the API authorisation (assuming a site would require API-authorisation to add codes)? Or is the 'accepting-help' setting public? biggrin.gif (That would, of course, solve the problem, by letting the site decide whether to demand auth or not.)

How much of that is genuine viewbombing, and how much of that is people not understanding the influx of activity? How do you tell the difference? (Honest question.) Is your criterion that someone just has to feel like they're view-bombed for it to be such? (Note: Despite the provocative wording, that would be an entirely acceptable definition for me. Without TJ's site logs effectively any delineation is automatically arbitrary on our part, after all.)

when your egg isn't ER and gets close to 2,000 views in less than 24 hours i'd perosnlaly consider it to be view bombed. one persons Lumina egg got over 10,000 in a few days and died.

with me, i know i was view bombed becuase i didn't have my eggs anywhere listed to start getting views and in 24hrs they got 1700+. generally people who have a silver trophy ro more tend to know how fast and how many their eggs will get views using the differnet methods and can tell when somethings not right *nods*

for instance, with me, i know that a non-ER egg in all the hatcheries i use will get about 200 views (and aroudn 100-150 UVs) every 3-6 hours. if i notice them gettign more than that, i know somethings wrong.

but i totally get what you mean about some jumping to that conclusion xd.png i'm not exaclty the most unparanoid perosn alive, i do think i have my tin hat still aroudn here incase hte black helicopters show back up laugh.gif j/k sorry thats the x-files geek in my comming out xd.png

I hate to be 'that person', but if you get a CB metal, shouldn't you fog it? Yes, it doesn't protect from malicious activity once you unfog it, but it's quite easy to wait until it passes the four day marker and then unfog it for a moment to toss it into a few ERs and get it to hatch in a half hour window while watching its stats, then refog.

ture about that with the golds, but i know that i prefer to not do that. imo i think it makes for greater chances of getting a sick or dead hatchie. also, there are alot.png of projects and breeding lists that you can't have fogged eggs on your scroll, not to meniton you can't fog if it's in a trade.

also, some people like myself grab certian eggs because their pretty and we like to look at them; as well as admiring hard accomplished lineages (which are prevented from viewing if the egg is fogged i believe). if i caught a CB Gold, i want to be able to go back to my scroll many time to gawk at it and make sure the baby is real and smile at it (as i did with the only one i've ever snagged) and i want to enjoy it being an egg, a hatchy, then gendering and finally as an adult.

saying "just fog it" prevents me from being able to ebjoy the precious while it's a baby. and personally, i don't want my egg and hatchie spaces to be nothing but clouds of fog. this will take away part of the fun of the game for me and part of the draw to playing.

That hardly classes as a persistent vendetta against an individual, then, though - that's 'only' a bout of jealousy. That makes it really easy to combat - fog the egg when you get it, then unfog it a day (or two, if you want to be sure) later, and most jealous-rage-motivated viewbombers would be long cured of their bout of jealousy by then. It takes effort to track an egg, and it takes a lot of bad blood to want to invest that effort if the owner is fogging it. (Not to mention a night's sleep knocks sense into a lot of people even if the time waking alone does not. ;D)

very true *nods* but i've also seen some hatchiers not boot out my fogged eggs. and once their un-fogged start collecting views again right away.

plus your also discounting someone throwing it up on a webt site (which i forgot to adress but other have brought up) of which fogging will not cure and is just as easy for a malicous view bomber to use if their really spiteful. which is something that needs to be addressed on DC's end as well imo

I guess I feel the trouble with your proposal is that even if 90% of the numerous fansites follow your suggestion (which would be a phenomenal turn-out, honestly), the 10% would still be plenty as a viewbombing platform, not to mention any potential new sites that pop up well after this thread's been buried on page three+.

That's why I'd ideally like to see the problem addressed on the side of Dragon Cave, insomuch as it can be combated there.

agreed, a babysitting/fogging BSA would be idea and would nip this in the butt imo. mainly though, abtout the hatchiers, i'm thinking of those that don't require a scroll name to add babies. and limiting code only imput options to ER's (kinda like NoD has)

i get that having a verficiation system on each site woudl be a bit much and would likely discourage use (which i dont' want to do). but having all the hatcheries require a scroll name to add non-ers to the list and add in the existing ability to hide our scroll names even if a person has the code; this will cut down on majority of view bombers imo.

i don't mean to soudn liek i'm singling out the hatcheris, cause i'm not. as i said without ya'lls sites raising dragons woudl be next to impossible for me so i can't thank you guys enough for making these sites. but the ease for malcious additions needs to be dealt with imo and looking at it realistically the easiest path that has the best chance for getting something accomplished is on the Hatchery end imo.

I'd love to think I have a decent grasp of the amount of work that would need to be done, since I'm a professional webdeveloper, but the fact of the matter is that I don't know how Dragon Cave's server-side code looks and can only stipulate. There could be parts of it that make it difficult, even if I can't fathom them right now.

which is a lot more than i know about laugh.gif

Edited by Red2111

I'll also bring up an argument that came up a lot in the above linked topic: most viewbombing is really going to be done by use of active forums and autorefreshers, of which this suggestion doesn't really help with, unfortunately.

thanks for bringing this up SPS

this is the other 1/2 of the problem. is there a way some way to make a 'checker' that listes where the eggs are getting views. not necessarily as part of our scrolls but as an additive to a fansite.

just thinking abotu it from a logic stnd point (not coding aspect) couldn't there be a sort of sniffer that analyzes the UVs an egg gets and narrows it down to site IP's which in turn translates it to a clickable link to that site. so those of us who want to keep an eye on where our scrolls are getting views can do so, and to make trackign down the sorry jerks who are view bombing easier.

i mean, if this sort of sniffer program was made, we coudl then find the sites that view bombers are using and contact thee site admins to make them away of the problem. not to mention it allows for dealing with the problem children directly that much easier and that knowledge that their no longer annonomous will be a major deterrant in itself.

Hmm, that's strange. Doesn't that disable the ability to help people on sites that require the API authorisation (assuming a site would require API-authorisation to add codes)? Or is the 'accepting-help' setting public? biggrin.gif (That would, of course, solve the problem, by letting the site decide whether to demand auth or not.)

thats another good idea as well.

if a scroll has the "premissions" turned off for outside help then a site coudl require authorisation via an API system. and just limit it to the scroll name if the permission is turned on. this way you can still have scroll sitters for people who need that service *nods*

Edited by Red2111

I might try a different system on EATW, I think about allowing BOTH adding via scrollname AND via API login, but if you used the API login once you get the option to restrict adding your scroll to API login only.

Not as smooth as a better API login would be, but that should sattisfy both groups, those who find the API login annoying and those who want there scrolls protected. Opinions?

I don't really have a problem with viewbombing. Even though it's wrong, I kinda view it as part of the challenge of raising eggs. I keep a close eye on my scroll and a very close eye on rare eggs.

I've only been viewbombed once and it was by some random person on a pair of my common eggs, which left me going wtf? But I caught it after about 4-6 hours and kept them fogged and they lived.

So I was half-ticked about it, half-"well at least it keeps the game interesting and challenging lol".

yeah well someone is now personally attacking my scroll on a perminate bases. i've already contacted 5 of the hatcheries i've been able to locate but so far 4 of my eggs over the past 3 days have been entered into hatcheries without my permission to see if they can run an I trace on my scroll to see who entered them as well as contacting a mod to see if DC can do somethign on their end.

their common eggs too, excluding the 2G Lumani i just bred yesturday. the highest value being a CB Red, and the only place i have my scroll listed is here at DCF.

i guess someone out there in the community doesn't like the idea of making viewbombing harder to do.

I've been playing for years and I've never had any problems with viewboming until recently. But now I've had it happen to three different dragons over the past few weeks (two of which are currently fogged because of it). These particular hatchies (and one egg) were entered into the exact same hatcheries as everything else on my scroll. There have been no new releases, holidays, etc when it's happened (and yes, I do know enough to reduce the number of hatcheries I use and wait longer to enter them in those circumstances). One was a cave-born purple ridgewing, nothing special, the two I have now are tinsels. I have a third tinsel and a magma currently on my scroll (as well as some "less interesting" things), and they're fine. They have half the views of these guys. It's super frustrating - and even more so because while I have them fogged, I know that fogging won't remove them from all sites.

Honestly, it seems to me that the easiest way is just to have all hatcheries remove fogged eggs. DDF has the mods do it, Neglected lets users do it when viewing, etc. If I could know that fogging would, sooner or later, remove my babies from all hatcheries, I'd feel a lot better. Right now I don't know how long I should leave them fogged, when (and if) it will be safe to check on them, etc. And I have NO FREAKING CLUE who's doing it. I'm pretty quiet on the forums and mostly just hang out in one IRC channel, not even the main one - I don't THINK I have any enemies...

We need to have every single self-serve hatchery fansite have at least an optional password system. With an optional system you can sign in normally if you don't make a password, but if you do make one you can know that you are the only person who can add your eggs to that fansite. I know I would immediately make a password with every fansite that offers that feature so that I wouldn't have to hide my scroll any more...

Yes, can be seen as a pain to have to sign in to a fansite to add your dragons, but it's a lot less of a pain than hiding your scroll so nobody else can add your dragons to fansites.

The other day some jerk added my scroll to at least four fansites, I found it in three and they were still gaining views so it was in at least one more. That wouldn't have happened if all the sites had passwords as at least an option.

Please note that it is very important that with a password system you need to say that it is a security risk for the DC account to use the same password for it and the fansite.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Is it possible to require every fansite to authorize through DC before the eggs and hatchies are allowed to be added? For example you would have to provide your DC password before you hatchies and eggs are shown. This way you would not have to go to every single fansite and create an account and password on that fansite to protect your scroll.

BirdSpirit, if it all went through DC, do you know how long it would take? i'm sure there are at least 3000 members(i have no idea) and to have someone approve all of them?

Icarus has a good point... making it so that fogging removes things is probably the easier route to take. Although it might be a hard thing to coordinate, since you'd have to go around contacting all the hatchery people to ask them to add that feature. >___<

That's kinda what I'm doing right now. I'm posting in each self-serve hatchery fansite thread about adding an optional password system.

And fogging isn't always possible. The fansite adding that happened yesterday involved items that were in teleport.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Fogging does not prevent clicks/views does it? i was sure it did, but if you click on a fogged egg on the website, does anything happen?

I like the idea of getting them to remove fogged eggs. that way if the egg gets sick, you can put it back on once the egg is no longer sick.

Fogging does not prevent clicks/views does it? i was sure it did, but if you click on a fogged egg on the website, does anything happen?

I like the idea of getting them to remove fogged eggs. that way if the egg gets sick, you can put it back on once the egg is no longer sick.

Fogging does prevent views/clicks but items in teleport cannot be fogged.