Aussiemum

Keeping users interested in DC

Naming things.... guess this one was overlooked...

Names of Areas

Not over looked, just not fully added together. I did start the list, it just needs to be worked on. Ill add together what has been said when I wake. Either by editing this post or making another. Either way I still feel This is worth starting an off shoot thread just for the one idea. If I should start it a mod should say so (or TJ). That I way I am not just using this thread and it can explore the other ideas.

But apart from things that would make it like a pet site the idea of a new biome with new dragons or new version of existing dragons for older users is about the only active thing that has been suggested so far. There are some cool "reward" ideas, but they're not something to keep interest, just something cool that older players can unlock. I say that unless there get to be too many discussions here at once it should just stay here.

Coming from a mod that is that. Since I am not one, all I can suggest is things. Ill then stick to combining the ideas on the habitats when I get up then.

Knowing my limits always helps, all I can do is suggest. Take it or leave it.

So long as every has a good time its even worth thinking about right?

Yes, if there is a lot of other discussion in the thread then there should be a spinoff of the most viable idea. But at the moment a new biome of some variety is the only thing so, unless an old idea is revived or a new idea is introduced, if the biome idea is removed the thread will die.

I do say that we need more ideas for spells in the spell book, however. If it was used it should be a pretty large and diverse list so that people would have things to choose from and have a spell that they would find useful.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

What about some more breeds like NDs or Zombies, where you have to put in more effort to get the dragon? I'm leaning towards the ND side, though, since there's more skill involved than making Zombies (which luck is a big part of). That way, both new and old users could have something to play around with, and they wouldn't have the frustration of luck-based breeds like GoNs and Alts.

If another ND-like breed were put in place, it'd also give the older, more "hardcore" users something to fiddle around with. ND-making is pretty much a science now, with elaborate theories and methods of getting the dragons, and I think it would be pretty fun to figure all of that out again for a different breed.

Yes, if there is a lot of other discussion in the thread then there should be a spinoff of the most viable idea. But at the moment a new biome of some variety is the only thing so, unless an old idea is revived or a new idea is introduced, if the biome idea is removed the thread will die.

I do say that we need more ideas for spells in the spell book, however. If it was used it should be a pretty large and diverse list so that people would have things to choose from and have a spell that they would find useful.

and why I asked if anyone wanted more ideas a few pages ago on the spell book. But since as far as I ca tell (was dealing with my one final). It was hard to tell if anyone wanted that one idea pushed past a suggestion. So when I noticed the new posts I went with the strongest set of ideas at the time. Which seems to be one thing that is coming out of this thread. But as someone with a only a few weeks (or a month and half) idea what is going on I can only suggest so much.

So till told other wise ill keep my promise and think hard + use what was posted posted when I get up/ I might have sent more info as to why I am thinking the way I am put as the main one runnig this thread past a few people I am doing what I can.

Personally, I would like a chance of being able to get CB versions of holiday dragons I missed for one reason or another. It doesn't have to be a high chance. In fact, it could be as low as grabbing a metallic, and it could be confined solely to the days the dragons were meant to be issued on, but my current inability to obtain lineage-less versions of those dragons is actually starting to wear on my interest in DC.

It's essentially like being told you fell short of a pass, and have no hope of resitting the exam. You just have to swan along and deal with your lack of success, even if it excludes you from awesome breeding projects and generally being able to contribute to interesting lineages.

I probably won't make many friends with an ungrateful-sounding sentiment like that, but I'd prefer a chance to get the old rare dragons before new ones start rolling out of the production line, y'know?

I'm NOT bored, but I have to say that all these complicated suggestions are making me feel like I might stop playing if they come in. A new biome - OK- but complicated stuff like spells - we are getting close to a pet site with that stuff. Am I alone in that I like - catching and breeding ? So do all my mates from another forum I brought over here...

Some of us - many, I suspect - are here BECAUSE it is simple and enjoyable. Loads of extras are tiring to manage and need more time to play than many of us have.

I'm NOT bored, but I have to say that all these complicated suggestions are making me feel like I might stop playing if they come in. A new biome - OK- but complicated stuff like spells - we are getting close to a pet site with that stuff. Am I alone in that I like - catching and breeding ? So do all my mates from another forum I brought over here...

Some of us - many, I suspect - are here BECAUSE it is simple and enjoyable. Loads of extras are tiring to manage and need more time to play than many of us have.

Oh great fuzzy one, I must agree! Maybe it is our age and the fact that we were not raised with constant electronic image stimulation, but I am quite satisfied with the game as it is and fear that it will become something that I don't care for in the quest of being more "interesting."

I don't know, I don't see a spell book as being like a pet site.

I sort of see it as just a different way of presenting more 'bsa' only instead of being tied to a specific breed the actions are tied to reaching a certain goal (certain number of years or number of dragons). I think it would be nice to pick from a lot of the suggestions that have already been kicked around on this forum and met with a lot of interest.

For example, hit 2 years or 750 dragons unlock your choice of 3 spells, hit 3 years or 1000 dragons unlock 3 more, etc.

Of course spells are not always successful, and sometimes even backfire, so that would add a little element of chance to using them.

I'd really like to have a love spell to unlock but it has a 30 or 60 day cool down so it can't be used very often. Maybe the spell only works for that one breeding attempt, or maybe it permanently undoes the refusal, maybe that spell has a 1 in 5 chance of failing altogether.

Someone else might be interested in a spell that lets them unfreeze a hatchling, if the spell backfires the hatchling might run away.

Or a spell that lets you freeze one egg of any breed, if it fails the egg dies or goes to the AP.

If the spells were things you could choose from, I suppose if you didn't care for them you wouldn't need to choose any of them at all, and it wouldn't have to affect your game play in any way. At the same time it would give others something to look forward to achieving.

Oh great fuzzy one, I must agree! Maybe it is our age and the fact that we were not raised with constant electronic image stimulation, but I am quite satisfied with the game as it is and fear that it will become something that I don't care for in the quest of being more "interesting."

My fears exactly.

@ Tawanda001 - yes indeed in a WAY - but the more things "need" doing not to lose out, the more annoying it will get for those of us not on here 24/7 ! can't even make it every DAY, and I am BSAing constantly as it is, for my lineages.

Hey BUT - I could use a BSA for undoing a refusal - even if it only applied to commons. (Looks sternly at whites and moonstones who have been BANISHED from my lineages sad.gif And you too, turpentine...)

I agree! I think its fine the way it is, and with new dragons coming in every couple of months, there is always somthing new :]

The way the cave is right now is good enough for me. I've a busy social life in EverQuest 2 and I don't need to spend hours on end in the cave when I can be out enjoying myself in a MMO. Sometimes. SIMPLE games are needed as it helps the brain relax.

I can't imagine spells being like neopets. Some of them would adjust the game more to your playing style, like increasing the chances of something. Others might unlock new features such as the new biome if both are used. The main problem is there haven't been many spells suggested. Any that change game-play too much or are too powerful would be rejected or changed.

And new dragons every couple of months is a week, maybe two, of action and at least a month of nothing to do, especially after the turpentines which were one dragon but seemed to have the same time between releases as a 3 or 4 dragon release... Personally, I'd be happy with roughly double the current release rate. Enough time to collect all the new dragons plus some of the old ones so that newbies can get to the point of having them all.

I'd personally love releases fast enough that you can't quite get them all, but that would be unfair for the newbies.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I agree as well. I'm not bored (but then my goal is to collect as many of each dragon as I can so I always have more dragons I need to get).

Must chime in with another agreement here. I have been on DC for almost 5 years (which means I am one of these long-term players) and I prefer the game the way it is. If I get bored, then I get bored, which is my own fault for not finding something to do, not the game's fault. If this became more of a "pet-site" than I would most likely cut my playing time.

I don't want to have to collect tonnes of dragons that I don't need, just so that I can access a special area or dragon or spell or what-not. I've barely reached the 1,000 dragon mark and I'm fine with that.

When people first join the game, they know what it all entails, and if they find that they don't like it or get bored, that's their preference. If they don't want to stay, even though they knew what they were getting into (DC is 6 years old now and has barely changed other than BSAs and the Biomes,) then why should DC fight to keep them?

...which is why there would also be an account age trigger for getting into the area for about the 20th time.

I'm a long-term player of this game as well. I've been here years, 4 to be exact, but still don't have some of the rarest dragons - neglected, holly... primarily because I'm not all that social on the game.

I would be thrilled, personally, if there was some sort of grandfather-clause that rewarded long-time players - but I can see the younger players objecting. Setting rewards too far off for them would just be frustrating - and most players are NOT that long-term, so for the site's benefit I wouldn't do it.

There's many younger players than me that have hollies and neglected... I don't harbor them any resentment, they often had friends who invited them to join and helped them along the way - or were more proactive on getting trades/gifts than I am.

You don't want to alienate the main audience.

Why for the habitat idea 2 years or a gold trophy. Something that even a a starting player player would need to earn. But its a goal, goals past what you set are what the game is missing. I do like setting your own goals as a main focus. But adding options + rewards is the key.

The spellbook idea needs some thinking and work. But nothing should be coming close to battling ect... unless its a BSA which could mimic some pet sights. But those would be rare and easly not cared about BSAs. So no worries since the hardest part is finding the dragon to go with it, since many ideas need new dragons to fit right, do not expect anything outlandish soon. But the spellbook idea I am thinking on.

The habitat is the easier and more likely to add a bunch of dragons, even if they are alt coloering + a few dragons that could be found in the new areas. So not to sap the ability to gain to much new dragons, but the alts could be plentiful. I ment to start pound out more on this naming wise, but that was set on the side burner since I still have no idea what I want to do past getting more dragons. But I can see no matter how I do things this added idea would be nice to have.

As a Newb to this place I think this is a great Idea because I find my self gettinbg bored to easly over things. So having something to work towards to is always a good idea.

I don't think the game needs to change much. Adding new dragons, creating concepts, and talking with other people is all I need to be happy. :>

-Silver

I don't think the game needs to change much. Adding new dragons, creating concepts, and talking with other people is all I need to be happy. :>

-Silver

I'm agree with you, but I think that even before the Great Change, user posted image many users thought the same.

I really support this idea, I think it's really a great challenge to reach 3000 dragons and have the possibility to have a really rare dragon.

New players are euphoric at the beginning, just have fun with, and these updates would be an effective and progressive increase in the difficulty of the game to excite even those who seem to have already peaked.

Really, it's a good idea, even because old holyday-dragons can't be Cb anymore it's quiet sad...

If Tinsel will continue to be used as prizes there will always be new cb, for example, it's good!

Always better to avoid that some dragons remain CB only for few people.

ND would be a rare to conquer, as well as the 2nd gen thuwed, but it would be nice holyday cb could be obtained in some way ^ ^

Not interested in more relases, it wuold be too much impegnative, I think, as for spriters as for players.

I'm agree with you, but I think that even before the Great Change, user posted image many users thought the same.

I really support this idea, I think it's really a great challenge to reach 3000 dragons and have the possibility to have a really rare dragon.

New players are euphoric at the beginning, just have fun with, and these updates would be an effective and progressive increase in the difficulty of the game to excite even those who seem to have already peaked.

Really, it's a good idea, even because old holyday-dragons can't be Cb anymore it's quiet sad...

If Tinsel will continue to be used as prizes there will always be new cb, for example, it's good!

Always better to avoid that some dragons remain CB only for few people.

ND would be a rare to conquer, as well as the 2nd gen thuwed, but it would be nice holyday cb could be obtained in some way ^ ^

Not interested in more relases, it wuold be too much impegnative, I think, as for spriters as for players.

There will always be new dragon/sprite releases, because we would get seriously bored otherwise. xd.pngD

What do you mean by impegnative? It isn't a word...

And it wouldn't be more work for spriters. Dragons are currently added to the completed list far faster than they are released. There are dragons there that are years old. More releases would be a benefit because it would mean there is a higher probability that a dragon is actually going to be released instead of sitting on the completed list forever even though it is a beautiful dragon without any flaws that would prevent it from being used.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

There will always be new dragon/sprite releases, because we would get seriously bored otherwise. xd.pngD

Of course! and fortunately there will be! I saw many dragon request so wonderful...I meant that the current number of releases per year is just fine ^ ^

Only reason I stop for a while is to wait for a new release I can actually catch, as many of them, even commons, I just really can't catch. Everyone is now on, making commons seem uncommon. I would love a CB sptifire, but now I can't, but thats my fualt for not getting one before this release.

Truly, I'm just on trying to catch an common, and just can't catch it, so its no longer fun. and to wait 31 days fora vampire bite just to repulse or kill an egg is tiring to. sure it makes them uncommon, but not many want them anymore.

And yea, I'm not an old dc player, but going to become one when nothing new happens. A new bsa every once in awhile would be nice. And not one like fertility, but good ones. But anywhoo, I'll try getting the egg later....

Just easier catching would be nice, with some new BSA's would be nice, but that won't happen, so I'll just be on my way...and new releases are great if you could actually catch any.....but I know this is a game of chance, so I'd understand.

Edited by White-Sword-Master