Isirion

The Bloodline of Torch

Valerian immediately pulled up and turned around, flying back to Alsia and Erastor, with Orion having barely managed to hold on. "What was that!? I almost flew off! at least you warned me, but please don't do that again." Valerian's gaze was calm and silent, it was as if he didn't even hear Orion, his face held the most haunted expression, one of outright terror, which was very rare for Valerian. "I didn't see it's face, but ...When I looked at strait at it, my heart felt paralyzed with fear, and I am sorry for that Orion, I thought I had a chance to take it out." Valerian said looking around as if expecting to see the figure again. Valerian and Alsia landed so they didn't have to talk over their own wing beat. "I don't know how that thing got away so fast..." "It's alright dear" Alsia said, trying to help him. Orion finally said out loud "Well at least everyone is alright, I caught a glimpse of the blade that thing was holding, it has drawn blood before." he ended his words with a shudder at the thought of being cut with such a wicked blade.

Edited by Orion97

Reappearing unseen inside the Dragon stables the thoughts of the owner of the 'wicked blade' were set firmly on cutting a Hellfire Wyvern. Not the valiant and strong male one outside that had tried to attack him, but the young female one in the box before him. The idea of cutting this particular dragon had come to him as he had heard the boy talking about the healing powers of the White Dragon that slept in a box on the other side of the stables. Both dragons seemed to shiver in their sleep as if they were having a nightmare or maybe a premonition of what was to come. The dark figure noiselessly entered the box of the female Hellfire Wyvern and drew its bloodstained blade. Aiming at the belly of the sleeping dragon the figure stabbed it with lightning speed; creating wounds as if there had been claws and teeth tearing into the dragons stomach. Sheathing its bloodstained blade after its bloody work was done the figure disappeared in the same instant as the sudden pain awoke the stabbed dragon from its sleep; uttering a terrified scream while its life was slowly ebbing away through the belly-wound.

Edited by Isirion

"What was that!" Orion shouted. "Sounds like an injured dragon" Valerian said with a worried voice. "We need to go see if everything is alright in there, come on!" Valerian moved around to where the dragon stables were to see what was going on with Orion and Alsia close behind. "What do you think happened?" Alsia asked, her voice full of worry. "Doesn't matter, we need to help first, ask questions later." Valerian told her

Edited by Orion97

As the group consisting of Orion, Valerian, Alsia and Erastor entered the stables, the noses of the dragons immediately picked up the scent of freshly spilled blood. They followed it to the box where a female Hellfire Wyvern lay panting and clearly in agony on her side while her blood was gushing out of a belly-wound that was terrible to look at. Erastor dropped to his knees; not one of the countless talismans, symbols and charms that adorned his soiled robes was any help in this case and so he raised his voice and screamed in a pleading tone: "Help! Anybody help! There is a dragon dying here!"

Edited by Isirion

Susurro woke with a start. First the white dragon was glad when he noticed that he had just had a bad dream, but as soon as he recognised the wailing dragon he focused on the situation at hand. He left his box and moved to the wounded dragon. He carefully touched her head and informed her of his intentions. "Don't be afraid, I'm a healer. I want to inspect your injures and I will ease your pain if possible. Please hold still." After that he sent a bit of his energy through her body, hoping to find out the extent of the injuries.

"I will start mending your wounds now. Please stay calm and breath evenly." Susurro concentrated and let a part of his energy flow into the damaged skin and flesh. Slowly the wounds started to mend from the inside out, but so very slowly. A short time later the blood went from flowing to a slow seeping and Susurro ached for this was an extremely exhausting task. He stretched himself and took a few deep breaths. Then he turned his attention to the dragon again: "I've managed to stop the bleeding, but it will seep a little longer so move as little as possible. Fully healing you will take time and maybe some additional bandages, but you will live for sure. So relax and try to sleep." With these words he sat down next to her, closed his eyes in concentration and completely focused on healing.

Edited by Alzira

Erastor gasped in awe as his spiritual-trained eyes picked up the constant flow of the pure white energy that came from the White Dragon. The energy covered the torn flesh and the injured organs beneath and in time mended them from within; leaving not even a scar. Unsure if the questions that burned on his tongue may interrupt the concentration the White Dragon needed for the healing process; the exorcist decided to remain silent until the task was finished.

Edited by Isirion

While Alsia and Valerian watched in awe as the white dragon did wonders for the injured hellfire before them Orion looked around, he knew something was off. First they encounter a dark figure with a wicked blade, next they see a wounded hellfire with a deep stab wound just a stone's throw away. Despite his better judgement, Orion looked around for the figure, guessing it would still be around by how fresh the wound was. "Where are you, you demon!" Orion whispered to himself, picking up a spare board of wood near his feet as an emergency weapon.

The 'demon' was indeed not far away; having reappeared on the hayloft one floor above the dragon boxes. There it stood well-hidden in his black cloak in the shadows between the stacks of hay and spare wood. Its eyes were fixed on the belly-wound it had inflicted on the female Hellfire Wyvern to measure the full extent of the healing powers of the White Dragon Susurro he had heard the boy talking about earlier. Now; before his very eyes this dragon mended the near-fatal wound by channeling his own energy and sending it into the damaged organs and tissue. Pleased with the result of its experiment the 'demon' grinned and vanished along with a few spare boards of wood.

Several minutes later as the healing process was nearing its end two elderly humans stormed into the Dragon stables. The first was a very round and concerned looking woman, the second a half-dressed drowsy looking man. Upon seeing Orion's group, the blood and the wounded dragon the woman cried: "Oh dearie me! What happened here? Had there been an accident? We heard a scream and came as fast as we could! Please tell us what happened!" The man however quietly pulled out a small wine bottle from his trousers and took a long, worried gulp.

Edited by Isirion

"My name is Orion and my dragons, Alsia and Valerian, and I came here looking for a place to rest when we found a shadowy figure, I barely noticed it drew a blade but disappeared. A moment late is when we heard the scream from in here." Noticing he still held the piece of wood in a menacing way he calmly put it down and resumed what he was saying, slightly more relaxed. "We found a bleeding hellfire and thankfully this white dragon was around to help, quite the life saver. Would you two be the owners of this place?"

The man nodded and took another sip from his bottle, then he said with a slightly slurred voice: "S'right. You can call me Ale and that sweetie over there's my Candy. She's the best wife AND the best cook you'll ever find." At his words Candy blushed and hugged her husband before she turned to the only one that had not been introduced yet; Erastor; and asked him with an exited voice: "Are you per any chance the exorcist we sent for?"

Wishing he was not, Erastor reluctantly stood up and introduced himself with a rather small voice: "Yes. I am Erastor, exorcist of evil spirits." Being the long awaited exorcist earned him a hearty kiss on the cheek from Candy and she said with delight: "It is so good you are finally here. All these ghosts are driving my dear customers away! But we should not talk about business without a good meal first. You all must be hungry from your travels; come with me! There is a delicious chicken soup I have prepared yesterday waiting for you in the kitchen."

With these words Candy shooed all the human guests out of the stables and over to the main building and into the kitchen while her husband stayed in the stable to show the new dragons where they could rest if they wished too. After also showing them where the feeding throughs were and making sure the wounded dragon was now safe and sound in Susurros care; Ale hurried over to the main building too. In the kitchen he found his wife staring at the empty spot where the pot with the delicious soup should have been and he shouted furiously: "That damned thieving ghost! Is there nothing safe from it?"

Candy, who had a really sweet personality took the disappearance of the food she had spent almost an hour to prepare, fairly easy: "No harm done. Make yourself at home while I prepare something else. I guess the poor ghost must have been hungry too." "Hungry for blood from what I've seen", the exorcist mumbled into his goatbeard while fingering the symbols of protection on his soiled robes. Feeling the need to distract himself from such thoughts, Erastor gestured at Orion to sit down with him at a table and asked him: "Tell me a bit about you while we wait. What do you do for a living and how come you are travelling with these dragons?"

Edited by Isirion

Orion swallowed the food in his mouth and began. "Currently, I am what you might call a traveler or even adventurer, although it's not always as exciting as it sounds. When I was sixteen I figured out what I wanted to do in life, I wanted to travel, explore and see dragons, they are beautiful, amazing creatures if you ask me, well, at least most of them. One day as I was out hunting I found a small shack in the woods, it was empty, looked like no one had used it in months, maybe years. I glanced at it and just as I was about to pass through I heard a a little noise in the shack, I looked inside expecting to see rats. What I saw was a deep blue egg with icicles on it, it was shaking violently in the corner of the shack. Curious as to what would emerge I sat down on the other side of the shack and waited for maybe half an hour when I finally glimpsed a small blue dragon crawl out of the open egg. Believe it or not...that's how I met Alsia. She looked at my with the widest blue eyes and I couldn't believe it myself. We both just sat for a minute, unsure what to do. Then I pulled a small loaf of bread out of my bag and pinched off a little for her, I figured she would have been hungry if she just hatched. After about a short time talking aloud to myself about my thoughts about what just happened I realized it was quickly getting dark. I knew that the dark wilderness was unsafe for most anything that young and small. I layed my hand on the ground and she ran up it and sat on my shoulder. I slowly walked home with her asleep on my shoulder so I didn't accidentally wake her up. I was learning how to live on my own so my parents helped me build a large shack or small house, not sure what you would call it, but it was home to me and it was comfortable enough. When we got back to my home I gently layed Alsia on my bed and grabbed a spare sheet out of my nightstand. When I came back to the bed and layed the sheed over her back I said out loud, what would be a good name for you? then I noticed the icicles on her back and how cold her breath was but she seemed perfectly happy as if it was normal so I smiled as I realized a great name for her...Alsia. We both fell asleep shortly thereafter and that's the story of how I met her, it wasn't until a time later when I met Valerian and recently, this little guy, revealing Emeraldan whom was asleep in his largest bag.

While Orion was telling his story, Erastor only seemed to be listening with half an ear. Even if it had been the exorcist who had asked to be the told this story, he could not bring himself to fully concentrate on it as he feared to miss the dreaded sound of a bloodstained blade being unsheathed if he did. His glances also nervously darted around in the kitchen, but the only spirit he saw was the one being constantly consumed by the man who was called Ale for a reason. After a while Erastor imagined he could get drunk by the smell of the man's breath alone and that thought finally distracted him from his worries. With a genuine smile he turned to Orion and said: "That was a great story. It would be a pleasure to hear another one. Or would you prefer to hear a story about an exorcism in return?"

Edited by Isirion

"As interesting as that sounds, a ghost story coupled with what I saw earlier, I wouldn't sleep well for days, perhaps in the morning. For now I do have a very interesting story of how Alsia grew up and how I met Valerian. With Alsia as I mentioned, I took her back to my house and whenever I went somewhere she usually accompanied me, she would walk quietly alongside me as I would hunt, she would play with my cat that I got as a playmate for her. They got along great, it was all the joy in the world to watch them wander around and enjoy being small, they loved to wreak mischief around the house though. The cat is still in good health but is at my home with my friend for now. He is house-sitting. Alsia's favorite things to do as a hatchling was to go on hunts with me, play with that cat, and go off exploring." Orion took a moment to breath and resumed. "Valerian, it was very interesting how we met...but to get to that I have to tell about how we decided to go to the volcano region and how I got my bow." Orion reached into his pack and pulled out a magnificent bow which he held on the table as he talked. "Alsia had gendered not long before and was always trying out her wings, and she had gotten better with her ice breath. One day I layed a map out on a table in front of Alsia. By then we had gone on a few trips, first to the Forest, and one to the Alpine areas. I pointed to the map and said, let's go somewhere, you and me, you get to pick this time, wherever you want. She thought for a moment and took a deep breath. Volcano, she said calmly. Being an ice dragon I didn't expect her to want to go there and when I asked why she said, It will be interesting! I've never been there and I wonder what it's like. With that I told her I'm fine with that, so we packed some belongings, food, and supplies, I brought my bow along that I got at the market. I have to tell you the story about that bow. I saved up months for it and actually Alsia was the one that spotted it as we walked through the market, she told me and it instantly caught my attention, expertly crafted, beautifully engraved and made of the best wood for bows, it was magnificent. There was even an offer to include a full quiver of arrows. I asked the man how much for it and he said a price that had my eyes wide as plates. I told him I would save up for it and come back to buy it one day. He laughed and said suuure. As it wasn't the wealthiest part of town I wasn't the only one that couldn't afford it, he sold most other bows but that one was always on sale. So for 5 months I worked fiercely, saving every bit I could. Then one day I marched proudly up to his stall and dropped a heavy bag of money on his stall and said, I would like to buy that fine bow of yours, sir. He couldn't believe I was serious, he looked though the bag inspecting half the coins, His eyes were now wide as plates, it was pretty ironic. Wordlessly he handed the bow and a matching quiver of arrows over to me and took the money I handed him. I was so happy, I practiced with it for the rest of the day and each arrow flew like a dream. To make it better Alsia had her first successful hunt that night, she got an old deer, the antlers were longer than she was! I'll give it a rest for a bit and tell you how that led into us meeting Valerian in the first place, ever since I met Alsia, my life has become a constant adventure, although we never did figure out why her egg was in a shack in the woods..."

Sappo was annoyed... and hungry which was worse, at least to him. First the delicious smelling fruit when he was almost hit and then chased away, then the boy who woke him from is favourite dream about delicate insects and then the vine, which smelled so alluring with a hint of something else and he wasn't allowed to taste one of them at all! The vine was still there, but meanwhile it had changed its appetizing odour into a nauseous one. There was absolutely no chance he would try eating that stuff ever again! When the boy had left the room Sappo had gone to a light sleep again, but he was woken...again. This time it was an anguished cry. Sappo looked around, examining the surroundings for its source but he found nothing. Just as he thought he had erred, he recognised the moaning. It seemed to just have started and went on on very quietly. Sappo wasn't sure but he thought it came from the stables. So after a little while Sappo got nervous and he he tried waking Alzira. At first he licked her cheeks, but she just turned around and pulled the blanket over her head. That gave Sappo his best shot: Alzira's now uncovered toes. The little dragon climbed to the end of the bed and bit her in her left toe very carefully - nothing, no reaction at all, but he needed her now. He grew more and more nervous by the minute. It was time for desperate means! He took a deep breath and bit her energetically. He just had enough time to get out of her way. Alzira was awake and alerted."What's going on here? Why did you bite me ?" The excited dragon made her nervous as well. She tried calming him but it failed. Maybe he was hungry? So she dressed and went for the kitchen, maybe there was something she could feed the little dragon. As she came close to the kitchen she noticed Candy and unfamiliar voices. She entered the room: "Sorry to interrupt but do you have some raw meat for my little dragon?"

Edited by Alzira

Candy turned around from her cooking with a welcoming smile and said: "Of course my dear Alzira, of course. That pygmy is such a cutie isn't he? Why don't you sit down with our new guest Orion and the exorcist Erastor here and have a decent early breakfast yourself too?" Not waiting for an answer or wouldn't taking 'no' for an answer anyway, Candy took enough plates for everyone including the little dragons out of the cupboard and loaded them with food. The plates for the humans she each filled with a generous amount of delicious looking scrambled eggs with roasted bits of bacon, melted cheese and a some fresh herbs. The plates for the dragons contained pieces of raw meat and mashed fruits. Ale made himself useful and handed out cutlery before he mumbled with a mouth full of eggs: "Tuck in!"

Edited by Isirion

"What a warm welcome!"Alzira thought. She considered declining but as soon as she saw the simple but magnificent meal she abandoned her intentions and mimicked Sappo and dugged in. When her voracious appetite was satisfied she scrutinized the other guests at the table. They were quite a conglomeration: Candy, Ale, Orion - a young, friendly looking man, Erastor - a man with silver-streaked hair, although he didn't seem the age , a grey dragon hatchling whose kind she hadn't met yet, Sappo and herself. Nevertheless Erastor caught her eye. Somehow his attire looked a bit battered, so she asked him: "How come you look so... soiled?"

Edited by Alzira

The exorcist who had eaten as if he had a hole in his stomach like the poor Hellfire in the stables had, swallowed the last bit and summarized what had happened for Alzira: "I was sent here to exorcise the mischievious ghost from the forest and afterwards the thieving ghost from here. In the forest after I thought my work was done there I fell into a trap. Orion rescued me with the help of his dragons and together we flew to the tavern where we encountered a suspicious dark figure. Orion's Hellfire tried to attack it but it disappeared and one moment later we heard an anguished scream coming from the stables. As we arrived we found a Hellfire female with a terrible belly-wound; luckily enough there was a White Dragon in the stables too and he managed to heal her. The tavern owners also showed up and after we explained everything to them they invited us for breakfast. With everything that happened, I simply forgot to clean my robes and that is why I look so soiled. Now that I have finished eating I will go to the lake and cleanse myself immediately." He stood up, immediately sat down again and sounding embarassed he confessed: "At the moment I don't dare to go outside alone; not with that bloodthirsty figure on the loose. Orion would you mind coming with me?"

Edited by Isirion

Orion promptly finished his food and was surprised at the question but understood. "Thank you very much for the meal, Candy." Orion then turned to Erastor. "Not a problem, I'm not very clean myself, as for being safe...I'm no warrior, should I ask Alsia and Valerian to accompany us?" At that point Emeraldan leaped out of the bag and onto the chair Orion just vacated. The small dragon sat up with a perky grin that begged Orion to bring him. Orion crouched down so he could talk to Emeraldan at his level. "I guess you can come...but you have to stay by me and not wander off, okay?" Emeraldan's expression instantly brightened and ran up Orion's shoulder. Orion smiled and turned back to the others. "We shouldn't be long, just down to the lake. Let's go, Erastor." Orion gestured to him to follow. As they were walking out the door to the lake Orion asked again. "If you want I could bring Alsia and Valerian, they'd like to go to the lake."

While Ale and Candy could still see him, Erastor kept a calm and collected exterior, but the moment he and Orion where out of sight he slumped down and pleaded: "Please Orion you have to help me get out of here to safety without hurting the feelings of these good people. They have put their trust in me, but I can't help them. Whatever is haunting their tavern did not hesitate to attack a dragon. I don't have the teeth and claws to even try to defend myself. I am just an exorcist who is good at throwing incantations at insubstantial beings that can't fight back. So please break my arm or leg so that I have an excuse to return to my home town for treatment. I will tell the tavern owners I slipped and fell onto a rock at the lakeshore so we can fly away before we all get stabbed like that poor dragon. What do you think of my plan? Will you help me?"

Edited by Isirion

Orion was quite surprised when Erastor began coming up with ideas to get away from the tavern, he knew Erastor was scared but also knew they simply couldn't leave those people with such a dangerous being about. He closed his eyes and thought hard for a moment. "No..." he said quietly. "We simply cannot leave those people like that, you have a job to do and me and my dragons can even help, of course we will be careful but we need to get to the bottom of this, of what's stealing everything, of what stabbed that hellfire and nearly stabbed Valerian as well. You are not the only one in danger, can you really leave a family, a traveler and all those other dragons to their fate being around that...thing?? We need to track it...find out where it goes and what it does, if we get the jump on it we may just have a chance! Are you with me?" In the dragon stalls Alsia was asleep but Valerian heard what Orion told Erastor and walked out to say something. "I'm in" Valerian calmly stated, surprising Orion and Erastor. "See? I think we should and Valerian and Emeraldan agree." Orion said as Emeraldan nodded in approval and moved up to sit on Orion's head, wanting to feel bigger than the tiny dragon really was. "I will make an excuse for you to leave if you absolutely wish, but if you wish to do some good and help these people we'd be more than glad to tell them they won't have to worry about that ghost or demon or... I don't even know what to call it now."

Once Erastor had finished his story and had left the room with Orion, Alzira thought about it. She was feeling a bit uneasy now when she thought about Jaxon's thieving ghost and how close he had been last night. This ghost seemed to be more than an ordinary thief and troublemaker, this was getting serious. Lost in her thoughts she dripped some of her breakfast on her sleave. The hot eggs brought her back to her senses. As soon as she noticed the mishap she knew she had an appology to leave the table. She excused herself and left the room as well. Outside she searched for the men until she noticed them near the lake. Fortunatedly a hedge was close to them. This would be a good chance to get to know more about the situation. So with the plants in between she approached and listened closely. Erastor's confession unsettled and interestingly enough angered her. She left the shrubbery:"We have to do something! Until now the ghost only stole different goods, hence his name but he has started hurting dragons! I'm not a fighter either, but I'm willing to help these people. And Susurro, my white dragon, will support us as well." Sappo, who felt a little left out, approvingly blew a small flame.

Edited by Alzira

The exorcist, even if he was taller than the others, seemed to shrink visibly as Alzira, like Orion before, proclaimed she would dare to stay and try to help. From the looks of it even their small dragons seemed to find enough courage to try investigating, but he did not. Suddenly Erastor felt even more dirty on the inside than on the outside. Embarassed with himself he covered his blushing face with his hands and said: "I was afraid to face that thing, because I thought I had to do it alone. But now the situation is reversed. That thing should be afraid, because it has to face all of us together. We will hunt it down and trap it and-"

Erastor would have said more, but suddenly someone interrupted him. A boy who was around fourteen came out of the same hedge where Alzira had been hiding and said while showing his bandaged fingers: "Trying to trap that damned ghost backfired on me already, but I am more than willing to try again. Count me in on whatever plan you have because I am certain I am going to be more helpful than the two other guests we have. The first stays cooped up in the Black Dragon Room all day long and the second one, FlowerOwl, only giggles and does not care if there is a wounded person in front of her very eyes! I am Jaxon by the way!"

The sudden appearance of another ghost-victim seemed to have dampened Erastors spirit again and so he 'bravely' shoved the responsibility to deal with it to the others: "That's fine. I mean it's not fine that you got hurt, but it's fine you'll help us. I guess Orion or Alzira can tell you exactly how you can help with the plan..."

Edited by Isirion

Orion began with a new vigor in his voice. "Sounds like we've got quite the welcoming commitee for him, but first off we need a good plan, if not, we might as well just throw rocks at the air. Let's meet just in front of the dragon stalls for now, Valerian, if Alsia is asleep, wake her up, she will need to hear the plan as well." With that they all moved to the dragon stalls and Valerian woke up Alsia, he told her about the plan and she thought he was crazy, but agreed to help regardless. The group gathered in a lazy circle next to the dragon stalls entrance. Alsia, you and I should check the other side of the lake, see if there is any sign of that phantom of ours. Erastor, do you want to head with Valerian and search in a big circle for tracks into the woods?

Edited by Orion97

Erastor nodded, being with the strong and brave Hellfire Wyvern the ghost chose NOT to attack couldn't be too dangerous even if they were entering the domain of an other ghost. The exorcist frowned and thought: Wouldn't one ghost knew the other? What if they could somehow make contact with the mischievious ghost from the haunted forest. Proud of his idea Erastor repeated his thoughts aloud and added: "Jaxon, I think that is the part of the plan where you could be a great help. You are around from here so I believe you are quite familiar with the forest!"

Jaxon inhaled deep and almost floated away as he stuck out his breast: "Quite familiar? I know the forest like the contents of my pockets. I sneak there almost every day and some nights too. I even drew a map of that place!" Erastor patted the boy on the head and asked him to fetch that map and any other maps he got, then he turned to Alzira and asked her: "Except you we all have a rough idea of what we will try. Are you joining one of us or do you have a different plan?"

Edited by Isirion

Alzira was a bit uncertain whom to follow. The lake would be nice, she had already painted a scenery so a closer look would be nice, too. She was curious about the other ghost as well, at least it didn't seem so violent, but Sappo had other intentions. "Finally someone my size!", he thought and went over to Emeraldan. "I'll go with you, Susurro needs to rest anyway and Sappo seems to like your little one", and with these words Alzira joined Orion's group. "Let's see if we can find some hints about the latest events." Although Alzira was really disturbed about the Hellfire's injuries and Susurro's exhaustion, she tried to stay calm, otherwise she would be of no help to anyone. Focusing on the task at hand she realized that Orion had talked about the shore opposite of here."Concentrate!" she told herself. He certainly would fly to the small island she had seen from her room, wouldn't he? And without Susurro she had no other choice but to fly with Orion on Alsia's back. Facing Alsia she asked,"Do you mind me joining Orion on your back? By the way, we could explore the little island in the middle. It could be a decent hideout, what do you think?"

Edited by Alzira