Isirion

The Bloodline of Torch

Orion looked to the giant with an odd mix of fear and anger. "You will not be bothering anymore dragons." Orion looked to the outside of the cave. "Alsia!" In an instant the ice dragon was standing at the mouth of the cave, the sunlight bouncing in off of her shiny blue scales. "Or else she will freeze your feet to the floor." Orion grinned, he might be able to ignore him but there is no way that the man could simply blow off a big ice dragon. Orion had his bow ready. "Your move, buddy."

This situation was getting out of hand. As her rage was cooling down Alzira could see clearer now. When she thought about the guardian and his obligation towards the shrine she realized that this guarding duty was his purpose in life. That's why Orion's remark about the hatchling's absence made her angry again. Didn't he listen to Galandir's story about his father's punishment because of failing his guarding duties? She still couldn't accept the guardian's kind of enforcement of his aspirations though but the hatchling's seeming absence from his guarding duties made Galandir a target for the guardian's wrath. She didn't want anything to happen to the little one. The guardian was all he had left since his father's death or so it seemed to her. He must have done something right otherwise Galandor wouldn't have sought out the guardian as he was feeling his life coming to an end. The carcass on the floor made her feel sick, but maybe it was some strange ritual she didn't understand. However she didn't want anybody harmed, neither guardian nor Galandir nor Orion. So she decided to tell about Orion's bluff. Hopefully the guardian would understand and leave Galandir alone and hopefully Orion would not be too mad at her. "Please don't act rashly. Galandir is still guarding the tree! He didn't dare to neglect his duties, he is far too proud that you accepted him in his father's position, so please do not harm him."

Edited by Alzira

The Guardian, who had stopped dead in his tracks, as if Alsia had already frozen his feet to the ground, spat again with visible disgust, than he screamed enraged into Orion's face: "I did tolerate that you sneeked into my cave, interrupted my work, threw accusations at me and even threatened me with a bow and now with a dragon - BUT I WILL NOT TOLERATE THAT YOU DEFILE THIS ISLAND DEDICATED TO NATURE WITH YOUR LIES!" He breathed in heavily, seemingly exhausted from his screaming, then he continued with a calmer voice: "Lying is a sin unique to humans that goes against nature. Nature is always honest as neither plants nor trees do ever lie. But how would you know as you have deafened yourself with your lies for the truth. Without knowing a thing about the situation, the person or the dragon you have passed your judgement on me. In nature something that fails to smell the air before advancing into unknown territory easily falls prey to the patient predator waiting there. The predator kills the prey in order to live. False righteousness like yours has no place in it. Either kill me now because you need to harvest my dead body for a living like I was doing with the dragon carcass - or leave me to my duty. A Guardian needs something to guard. I have chosen to guard the Leetle Tree and it seems the hatchling had chosen to guard its fathers honour and its own pride. It will not regret its decision as long as it stays true to it. Galandir will grow into a fine Guardian who fullfilles its duty no matter the circumstances. I can't be prouder - and I can't be delayed any longer in feeding him, now that I know he really has the spirit of a true Guardian!" And with these words the Guardian took out a food parcel he had prepared for that occasion from his vestment and then glared at Orion and his dragon to either kill him or make way for him so he could deliver it to Galandir...

Edited by Isirion

Orion briefly glared at Alzira, he understood her intent but she also killed any chance of him seeming like something to be taken seriously but stood unshaken. He did not like this man and it all disgusted him, but he wouldn't shoot a man in cold blood, the part that angered him above everything is that there was some truth to his words. So he kicked the side of the cave full force to blow off steam. "You will see the hatchling and give it food but you will not harm anyone, so tell me though, why would this dragon come back to you and have you go through his carcass and why did you have a dragon guarding a tree?" Orion said as he and Alsia moved for the man to pass.

Edited by Orion97

The Guardian moved his giant body with surprising speed and climbed the slippery stairs in almost no time. At the top of the cliff he turned around to give Orion an answer to his first question: "As I have told you I do not know why it flew to me as it felt its end coming, because it died from blood loss the moment it crashed in here. However I do believe the reason for its coming here instead of flying to its offspring was that Galandor wanted to spare Galandir the sight of his father dying right before his very eyes." Now the Guardian started to run along the path towards the shrine with powerful long gaits, that would have left Orion and Alzira far behind, if they had tried to follow him on foot instead of mounting Alsia. Rising like a second sun whith her glittering scales reflecting the morning sun the Ice Dragon soon overtook the Guardian from the air and flew ahead to the shrine where he was heading. She landed safely with Orion and Alsia near Emeraldan and Sappo, that where sitting close to Galandir. The guardian hatchling was sitting in front of them with his paws menacingly raised in the air and with an omnious sounding voice he told them at that moment: "And in the cover of darkness the evil shadow crept near the tree to steal a leaf because it knew in broad daylight it could never avoid the watchful eyes of my father! Still my father felt that something was coming and he stayed alert all night guarding that strange tree. He prowled around the tree endlessly with me riding on his shield tail also looking out for the leaf thief. And then - on the darkest hour of the night it happened - the evil shadow took on a human form and appeared just outside the reach of my fathers claws and teeth, grabbed a leaf and became one with the darkness of the night again. I don't know what that thing was, but it had been the reason my father failed his duty and got punished by the Guardian."

Edited by Isirion

Orion faced Alzira with a curious look as the hatching told the story. "Sounds like our own mystery thief gets around. The sooner we end it the sooner things will improve." He listened as the hatching boasted about his father feeling rather heartbroken. When the story was over Emeraldan spotted Orion and the others, he ran to Orion and trotted in circles excitedly. "The little hatching with us just told the story of how the evil shadow stole from the tree." "I heard, all three of you were alright while we were gone?" Orion looked for any signs they were hurt. "Nope but the guardian hatching is really cool, I wish we met him sooner." Orion smiled, good ti hear they were alright. Orion looked around expectant of the giant man. Then a thought came to him. The man probably isn't a fan of the phantom, which is probably the same one plaguing us...perhaps he'd even help catch it...he didn't like his own idea much but based on accounts of the creature's abilities they would need all the help they can get.

Alzira was so glad all went well, even Orion didn't seem too angry at her. She hugged and caressed Sappo until he squeaked in disapprovement, which was quite soon. The little dragon didn't want to be seen spoiled in front of dutiful Galandir. Alzira smiled and then she turned towards Orion:"You are right, this could be 'our' thieving ghost. We should act before anymore damage is done. If the guardian accepts our offer and we work together we'll finally capture that annoying thief .That would be such a relief for the innkeeper. Nevertheless, do you know how to catch a ghost because I have no idea how to overwhelm such a being. I don't know why he is interested in these leaves at all. I mean they look nice, but do they have any special effects, maybe healing or strenghtening ones? We should ask the guardian about this."

Even if Alzira meant the human Guardian, who supposedly was still running towards the shrine, it was the little dragon, that answered her questions about the leaves of the enshrined tree. With a proud voice it squeeked: "My father told me everything about that tree and why we have to guard it. The strange tree is called a L-E-E-T-L-E tree, its ever changing appearance sy-symbo...it shows the cycle of nature. In nature nothing ever stays the same. Things grow and change and some day they will die and change again and from their dead bodies new life will grow. It is the same with the leaves of the tree - from time to time they change, even if they are separated from the tree. This is why some of the visitors of the shrine try to steal them - they try to take them with them to show them off like some kind of trophy! But since my father took on his guarding duty until a few days ago not a single leaf was taken because he was ever watchful!" Now the little guardian hatchling looked up to Alziras and Orions face and with shiny bright eyes it begged them: "I really want to see my father again...I miss him so much...please tell me that you found him and that he will come back to me to teach me more!"

Edited by Isirion

Orion held his breathe for a moment. He will tell the hatchling the cold truth and he would not beat around the bush. He got on one knee and looked at the hatchling. "Your father...has passed away, I may not have known him but I'm sure he was strong, watchful, and dutiful. One thing I am certain of is that he loved you very much and would be proud to see you grow into an amazing dragon. The greatest thing you can do to honor your father is to live happily, as long as you remember him he will never truly be gone. I know hearing this can't be easy but you must be strong, it's what he would want." Orion finished telling the hatchling his father was gone and he felt like he could almost hear hearts break, even Emeraldan was on the verge of tears and had the biggest eyes. Orion himself tried his best to hide sadness, he wanted the hatchling to remember his father fondly but also live his life well.

The hatchling's eyes grew bigger and bigger as Orion talked, but the moment he had finished, Galandir closed his eyes. He sat there still like a statue for over a minute, then he suddenly slammed his shield tail on the ground and wailed: "It is my fault my father passed away...My father was the most dutiful dragon in the world and he had accepted his punishment for failing his duty - but I couldn't. I sat here whining and wailing for him all the time and...and...and...he must have thought I am in danger...because that metal collar does not hurt you if you don't move and sit still like a guardian on duty should, but if you move then the spikes..." The hatchling wailed again and now slammed its shield tail against itself and screamed: "It is all my fault that my father got hurt...I even heard his screams, but instead of stopping to scream myself I wailed on and on..." And with that Galandir once again slammed his shield tail against himself before anyone could stop him. The hatchling raised his tail a third time, but before he hurt himself again the thundering voice of the Guardian, who had reached the shrine commanded him to stop:"Stop it Galandir. Hurting yourself will only hurt your ability to guard the shrine!"

Hearing the voice of the Guardian, Galandir lowered its tail immediately and the hatchling shifted its body to assume a guarding stance. Even if the hatchling was not alone as Orion, Alzira, Emeraldan, Sappo and Alsia where close by, it looked so lonely and forlorn, that the Guardian decided it was time for a change. Almost gentle he put down the food parcel he had prepared in front of the hatchling, then he said: "You have shown the spirit of a true guardian - so as I promised you will see your father again. His carcass lies at my cave, but I ask you to postpone your visit until I have prepared his dead body for the funeral he deserves for having fulfilled his guardian duties almost perfectly since the time he took them on." Galandir nodded silently, ignoring the food in front of him entirely, as he was not hungry anymore for various reasons, then he squeaked with an empty dead and hollow sounding voice: "I will take on my fathers guarding duties. I will guard the Leetle Tree until my body also dies and new life grows from it like it will from my fathers body." Even if it was the cycle of nature the hatchling couldn't stop but whimper at the thought of his father's carcass being slowly eaten away by worms and crumbling into dust from which new plants grew into the sunlight. The Guardian carefully placed his big strong hand on the head of the whimpering hatchling and said: "New life must not always come from dead bodies. You are the new life that was sired by your father and brought into this world through your mother's body. In a few years you may sire new life yourself and you will not have to take your father's duty on all alone as I intend to send a request for new guardian dragon eggs to the 'Egg Hunter'. There will be a guardian family again."

Somehow the words of the Guardian seemed to have filled a hole in Galandir's heart and he repeated with a revived bold and faithful voice: "There will be a guardian family again!" The Guardian withdrew his hand from the hatchlings head and now addressed Orion: "As I fail to see the half a dozen angry dragons at the shrine guarding it you told me about, I can't leave this island to place a request for the 'Egg Hunter' at the fishermens village. Will you as a compensation for your lies take over this task for me? I have learned today that the spirit of a dragon can be stronger as any collar binding it, so I wont need the blacksmith's service anymore, but for the sake of the hatchling will you go to the exchange place in the fishermens village and ask for three guardian eggs that I can hatch into Galandirs new family?"

Edited by Isirion

Orion felt horrible when the hatchling began to blame itself, a hatchling could only do so much and before he could say something the guardian arrived. When the guardian asked him to go to the fishing village Orion nodded. "I will do as you ask but before I go you should know something...whatever stole the leaves is the same thing that has been plaguing us, it has stabbed a dragon, and nearly killed me and Valerian, another dragon that was with us. it has stolen from the nearby inn on many occasions and wreaked havoc. From what Galandir told us it sounds like the same creature or man has troubled all of us, I think it is a man using powerful magic as everywhere is goes it is silent and seems to vanish without a trace." Orion said as he mounted Alsia. "In return please watch each of the hatchlings, especially if that thing is still nearby, and for when we arrive at the village who or where should we ask about the eggs." Orion also looked at Alzira, "You want to come?"

Alzira felt so sorry for crestfallen Galandir until the Guardian arrived, cheered him up and filled him with new spirit and duty. It was an impressive thing to watch Galandir regain self-assurance, especially after the mention of the new guardian family and that raised her spirits as well. When Orion told about the incidents at the inn she focused on the situation at hand again, nodded confirmingly and called for Sappo to accompany her. As the little dragon took his place on her shoulder, she turned to Orion:"Yes, I'll join you. Galandir is in good hands now and we should help. Maybe we can find out something more about our mysterious villain. It seems he has affected a lot of people, possibly they know something more so we can find out about his whereabouts."

The Guardian looked worried as Orion told him about a dragon-stabbing thing plaguing the nearby inn and the possibility that it maybe identical with the leaf thief as it seems it could appear and disappear without a trace as well. He looked even more worried as Alzira, whom he trusted more than Orion who had lied to him at least two times, not only confirmed the hunter's words but also conveyed that she wanted to ask around the fishermen's village for more information regarding the mysterious villain. After Alzira had mounted the Ice Dragon too, the Guardian pointed westwards and put some of his worries into words:

"You will find the fishermen's village in this direction, but beware because there is more than one villain around. Some of the secrets the fishermen keep are so deep as the mountain shadowing over it is high. If you ask too many questions they may think you are trying to uncover them and they will not answer you at all. However if you just ask about the exchange place it will be fine as they are rather proud about it. They have build a place where everyone can offer every good they have - even their own body - at the far end of the village . The huge difference to a normal market place is, that there is no shouting and haggling as the customer and the merchant visit the place at different times. All you have to do is place my request for the guardian eggs at the request-pole of the 'Egg Hunter' in the morning and wait for it to be either accepted or declined within a certain timelimit in the evening. As you are trying to gather information about a certain thing or person, you should place a request at the request-pole of 'The Gatherer'. A few days ago as one of the leaves of the Leetle Tree got stolen, I placed a request to investigate there. It was accepted but since that time nobody had heard from 'The Gatherer' again. After what you told me, I am worried now, that the thief may have not only taken a leaf but a live too...Promise me that you will be careful!"

Edited by Isirion

Orion thought carefully about what the Guardian said, "Will do, we have no desire to die, we'll place the request, investigate this thief and hopefully put an end to it." Orion looked to Emeraldan, whom was looking back and forth between Orion and Galandir, he wanted to play with his new friend but also wanted to help with the mystery, even if he hadn't learned to talk quite yet. He ran over to the hatchling and said the closest thing he could say to bye which turned out to be "bee bee" and ran up Alsia and sat with Orion. "Don't worry we'll be back safely soon enough." Orion said to Galandir and the Guardian. When everyone finished talking Alsia took off with a mighty beat of her wings and they flew for a fair distance. When they were up in the air Orion looked to Alzira. "So what exactly do you think we should do once we get to this village, Alzira? We need to post the request, investigate the gatherer's disappearance, and I need to purchase a little equipment while we are there before we leave."

Alzira was expecting trouble ahead. The guardian had told about the fishermen keeping secrets, so asking around without rising suspicion would be quite a task. Hopefully they could finish the guardian's request and with a little luck they could use the fishermen's pride about their marketplace to find out something about the ghost or something helpful like how to capture a disappearing man. Nevertheless she tried to sound confident:"I guess we should take care of the egg request first. We can check the Gatherer's pole, maybe the last request took a little longer than usual and we get the information the guardian was looking for. Then you should do your shopping. Afterwards we can look around, even ask carefully and maybe we find out something about our ghost. Maybe we can ask about the guardian's request and the missing response if there isn't any yet. I think that if the fishermen are so proud of their trading place, there'll be a real chance to ask if there's someone who could help us with our problem but as they are quite secretive we should start asking when we've got our other tasks finished."

Soon after Alzira and Orion had made up their mind about their approach, the fishermen's village on the western shore came into clear view. The roofs of the little houses that were all decorated with the scales of various dragon species glittered innoncently in the light of the morning sun as if there was no shadow nor secret nor anything dark in the village - at least until the sun went down in the evening and the whole village would fall under the shadow of the huge mountain towering over it. As Alsia circled around in search of a secure landing spot, Alzira and Orion had the opportunity to watch some of the fishermen:

• Riding on a small platform fastened to the backs of two Water Dragons a bulky man with leathery skin and a greedy look in his eyes lowered a faintly squeaking scaly something in a cage into the water where it seemed to discharge some kind of energy. A few seconds later lots of dead or stunned fish surfaced and were quickly hauled into big nets by the man and someone that looked like a far younger, but nonetheless even bulkier version of him.

Not far away another Water Dragon was leashed to a floating wooden platform and dragged it with the fishermen riding on it to their favourite fishing spots where it was rewarded with their first catch of the day.

On the shore itself there were several similar looking wooden platforms, but they had no dragon leashed to them and no person riding them. One of the platforms was adorned with crude wooden imitations of the leaves of the Leetle Tree and a sign on it said: To the Leetle Shrine: 2 coins

The village itself seemed to be divided by the main road that went all the way to the exchange place on the far end of the village. On the left side of that road were the buildings that were associated with different crafts like the smithy or the bakery. On the right side of that road were the houses where the people inhabitating the village actually lived. Each of it was only one story high and had a little garden attached where the inhabitants either grew herbs or fattened some chickens. Oddly enough the fences around the gardens that had chickens in them looked much more secured as it would have been necessary to keep a fox or the likes of it away. Maybe the tavern was not the only place where chickens occasionally disappeared?

The exchange place that had a convienently big landing area right beside it, looked from the air despite the sunlight glittering off everything rather eerie. The poles standing for the different trades had just the right size and sharpened point to impale any dragon, unlucky enough to crash into them. Some of the things nailed to them to show off what a specific trade pole stood for were not only eerie but stomach-turning if you looked at them unprepared:

• Every pole, even the harmless looking baker's pole with the wooden bread on it had ripped off pieces of a Paper Dragon attached to it, so possible customers could write down and place their requests.

Additionaly the pole of the butcher had one sun-dried skinned and eviscerated half of every domestic and edible animal nailed to it.

Another pole, the one of the tanner was entirely covered with small stripes of the skins of dozens of different animals.

On the hunters pole the trophy-skulls of many successful hunts looked through empty eyesockets at possible traders.

Finally the 'Egg Hunters' pole was covered with the empty shells of various dragon eggs, some of them very rare. Looking very closely at them would make a very observant dragon or human very uncomfortable because from the look of them there was the chance that they weren't collected after the respective dragon had hatched, but rather picked up from the remains of a willfully smashed dragon egg...

Edited by Isirion

Soon Alsia landed at the edge of the village. Her scales shimmered with the greatest majesty, her azure wingtips casting mighty shadows. Orion and Alzira dismounted with their hatchlings close behind. "Stay close, Emeraldan, we don't know what kind of place this is." In response Emeraldan climbed up Orion's side and perched himself on the left shoulder, sitting proudly with a posture that would remind someone of a parrot. Orion walked with Alzira to the egg request pole as she suggested. "Maybe you should write the request while I ask around about the one the guardian made, my hand writing isn't the best." Meanwhile Alsia was taking her time to simply look around. She understood that many humans enjoyed dragon crafts and the like but things like the dragon scale roofs concerned her. She hoped they at least weren't from good or innocent dragons.

The marketplace was an impressive and strange sight at the same time. As soon as Alzira made out the Egg Hunter's pole she went straight for it. Looking at the pole she had to swallow hard, the egg shells there looked somehow wrong. She remembered the shells of Susurro' s egg and they looked different. She even let her fingers run across the surface of those beautiful shells, the patterns were familiar but the break lines didn't fit those of her recollection. There weren't any small bumps or fine cracks, nearly as if there had been no force from the inside, it was more like as if there had been one from the outside, as if the eggs had been ... No, she didn't want to follow that thought any further. She shuddered, took a deep breath and took the piece of paper and a piece of charcoal to write down the guardian's order. She finished quickly and went after Orion to find out more.

Edited by Alzira

Orions and Alziras arrival had of course not gone unnoticed. A raggedy looking man in his forties who had been sitting a few poles away under the 'Beggar's pole' that was unadorned, but had empty bowls lined up around it, raised to his dirty bare feet and slurched closer to Alzira and Orion. To his eye both of them looked generous enough to have a coin or two to spare and so he stretched out a begging hand to them. It was only one hand he could stretch out though, because the other one seems to have been cut off recently with a sharp blade. The beggar coughed, then he begged: "Have a spare coin for poor me? Can tell many things...can't do honest work anymore...not since...not that I ever did...give me spare coin and I tell...I can tell many things..."

Something about the beggar seemed to be as off as his speech. He gave off the feeling that he must have suffered some sort of mental damage recently that may or may not be connected to his missing left hand. Taking a good look at the beggar would reveal that he did not look like he was a beggar from the start, because his now ragged clothes where nonetheless of fine quality and must have been quite expensive some time before. Now they looked as patched up and mismatched as the odd assortment of things that hung on the pole next to the 'Beggar's pole'. Both - the clothes and the things on the pole looked like they had been randomly gathered from every available source. The only thing not random was the bunch of unfinished requests that were stuck to this pole that was without a doubt the 'Gatherer's pole.'

Edited by Isirion

Orion's eyes followed to what Alzira was looking at and sensed her disturbance, he took a closer look himself...then he noticed something, "those eggs...did not hatch on their own...Alzira, keep Sappo close, this place is not as friendly as kind as it might seem." Almost as if on cue Emeraldan walked closer to Orion and kept a look out for any who approached. Behind them Alsia quietly followed a short distance, mostly off in her own thought and wondering how Valerian was. She was careful to make herself small as possible so that she didn't bother anyone. Then when the beggar came up offering information in exhange for coinage. Orion gave Alzira a quick look when the man began to talk to them. "Sure, here take this, tell us what you know please" Orion calmly told the man as he deposited a kind amount of money onto the palm of his hand. "And I know it might seem rude but...what exactly did happen to your other hand my poor fellow?"

The beggar let the coins vanish in his pockets with a smooth movement that indicated that he was used to putting coins into pockets - or more likely used to take them out of pockets. However one coin remained in the remaining hand of the beggar and he let it wander around with his nimble fingers. In the sunlight that was reflected off the coins surface it looked almost metallic like the much larger shell of a Gold Dragon's egg that reflected the sun from the height of the 'Egg Hunters' pole. The beggar let the light reflected from his coin shine on that egg and breathed: "That happened...Can you imagine how valuable that is? Selling one of these eggs can get you a mountain of coins, but the 'Egg Hunter' is not interested in that - he only asks for food or livestock in return for his services. Can you imagine what a waste of coins it would be to let a gold egg go for some chickens if the shell alone is worth a decent enough heap of coins? I had to do something! I only wanted to take the egg shell to sell it for a fair prize and afterwards share the profit with the 'Egg Hunter'..."

The raggedy looking man paused to take a deep breath and make sure nobody else could listen, then he continued: "At night I used a ladder to climb up the pole and fetch the egg shell. All went smoothly - I swear nobody saw me and I soon enough had erased all traces I left and brought the valuable shell home safely. The next day I sold it to a ... a special acquaintance of mine who specializes in selling...goods of questionable origin. He gave me the fair amount of coins I hoped for and I spent half of it on fancy food and clothes and anything else I only dreamed of before. It was like a dream came true for me, but in the following night that dream turned into a nightmare...I slept in my bed covered in the new Dragon Cashmere blanket I had bought when suddenly an ice-cold hand covered my mouth and I felt the tip of a sharp blade at my throat. I couldn't do anything. I couldn't see anything. I could only shiver in fear. Suddenly I heard an ice-cold voice hiss into my ear: 'I have come to collect the prize for the egg shell you took from the 'Egg Hunters' pole without placing a request beforehand.' As I realized the menacing emphasis the voice had put on the last syllable it was already too late - the blade cut so fast through the air it made a horryfing high-pitched sound and cut off my left hand in the blink of an eye. My body went into shock and all I could do was scream until I fainted. As I woke up again my neighbour was next to me. He told me he had broken down the door after he heard me screaming and found me lying in my bed in a pool of my own blood that gushed from the wound where my hand was cut off. He stopped the bleeding and bandaged my wound and very likely saved my life in doing so."

The beggar coughed and continued with a miserable voice: "My life was the only thing that had been saved that night. Except the freshly bought clothes I was wearing, everything else, even the bloody Dragon Cashmere blanket, got stolen by the scum that took the opportunity and entered my house through the broken door after my neighbour had left and I had fallen asleep from exhaustion. After waking up this time being a cripple and a have-not too I would have lost all will to live if it had not been for my neighbour again. He came around as soon as he woke up to look after me and bring me food and drink and consolation. I could work for him from now on to make my living. Disguised as a beggar I should gather information and keep a look at certain poles for him. In exchange I could additionally keep all the coins I get from begging and he would help me to find the scum that took advantage of my misery that night. He was also very interested in investigating my first visitor that apparentely had entered and left my house while the door was still intact and locked. Of course I agreed to help my neighbour to repay his kindness and after telling him that, my neighbour revealed his identity as 'The Gatherer' to me and told me, that he had gotten a lot of different requests to investigate mysterious thefts that occured at night-time all over the region and had one thing in common: The thief seemed to get into every place he wanted to without bothering to open, break or unlock doors or windows first - just like my visitor!"

Coughing again and a bit exhausted from talking so much, the beggar nonetheless continued: "I immediately understood the importance of that discovery and also the danger that came from it. If the thief and my visitor were the same person, anyone who tried to investigate him further could end up loosing his limbs or even worse his life. The Gatherer was very concerned about this and told me to tatter my clothes and change my speaking pattern so nobody would recognize me when I took up my watch here at the Beggar's pole. I did as he told me and surveyed everything here for him since the day after my injury, but he never came to collect the information about the requests to the 'Egg Hunter' I have secretly copied nor the new requests that keep piling up. I am worried that something has happened to him, so I am following the last order I got from him. If it seemed like something had happened to him I should place my trust into somebody that is trusted by the dragons that follow him or her out their free will and not because they are enslaved like most of the poor dragons here are. Your dragons are so close to you and trust you and on top of that your kindness remembers me of my neighbour so now as a real beggar I beg of you: 'Please help me find out what happened to the only person in that rottten-to-the-core-village that was ever kind to me!"

Edited by Isirion

Alzira was astounded. She hadn't expected anything like that. This encounter was a heaven sent opportunity. This beggar seemed to know an awful lot. It would help them a great deal if they could talk about the thieving ghost, maybe somewhere not so exposed. Sappo's hustling and bustling around Alzira had drawn a little bit of attention to the group. She was feeling uneasy by now. Time was pressing as well, they had to get back to the tavern otherwise Candy would be so mad at them. Although she had troubles imagining the Inn keeper's wife getting mad, she didn't want to risk it, still waters like Candy run deep. So she decided to take the disabled man with them.

"Do you know the Sleeping Dragon Tavern? How about we talk there?" and with a quick glance at him "It's a splendid place, and the meals are great!"

Edited by Alzira

The tension that had been constantly building up as the beggar told his tale eased up as his stomach suddenly chose to answer Alziras proposition with a growl worthy of a dragon. The beggar who had spent most of the morning worrying about his master and hence did not even had a crumb of bread yet, nodded vigorously and said: "I heard the food there is so good, you can even smell it from here if the wind blows in the right direction! Another tale says that the water of the lake is actually the drooling of all the people that wanted to eat some of the delicious food that is served at the tavern after smelling the very air blowing from there...I for myself had already thought about swimming across the lake to try to nick some food, but that is too dangerous with some of the fishermen using electric dragons for catching huge amounts of fish from the lake...well no use talking on an empty stomach - you better use the opportunity to leave almost unnoticed from here or else my cover will get blown. I will find another way to the tavern and meet you there later. See ya!" And with this the beggar stomped away shaking his only fist as if he was angry after being told to shove off or the likes.

Alzira and Orion got on the Ice Dragon and flew back to the tavern just in time to ease up the worries of the already quite anxious looking Candy who had been standing outside craning her neck to keep the lake and the forest together in view for almost an hour. Now that Orion's group was safely back she concentrated her gaze entirely on the forest hoping to see the other group soon and occasionally wondering if something had happened in there...

An hour ago in the forest

Accompanied by the brave Hellfire Wyvern Valerian and the boy Jaxon that knew the forest like the contents of his pockets, the exorcist Erastor felt quite safe as he entered the forest with Jaxon's map in hand. They would follow the main path for a while and then head back in a big circle looking for tracks. However sound that plan was, there was one thing bothering the exorcist but he voiced it only after they had already walked for quite a while: "We are looking for tracks that could lead us to the ghost plaguing the tavern. The same ghost that has stabbed a dragon! What are we going to do if we actually find it?" The boy Jaxon who was very proud that the exorcist actually used his map was more concerned with staying useful as staying safe and so he almost screamed with a reassuring voice: "Don't you worry about a thing in here. In this forest nothing can creep up on us because I know it like the contents of my pockets! Even the mischievous ghost in here knows to stay a way from me!" Of course the last sentence was a blatant lie, but to the boy it sounded right in the current situation and what were the chances anyway that the mischievious ghost actually heard these words and decided to prove him wrong?

Edited by Isirion

Meanwhile, Telia, the ochredrake that lived there, was getting ready to prank the humans but she overheard the word ghost mentioned and the fact that the younger boy had said she wouldn't come near him had made her annoyed, so she moved closer and with a mud bomb in her claws, made from leaves and mud she had collected a while back,she quickly postioned herself and threw a perfect shot hitting the younger boy named Jaxon square in the face! Telia chuckled quietly to herself and slinked back to make sure she had enough mud bombs and rotten fruit, which she bundled into a big leaf and carrried in her mouth, as she moved along following them and pondering what to throw next.

Edited by isabella3

Having been caught totally off guard by the surprise attack Jaxon stumbled back and bumped into Valerian. The boy surpressed the hearty curse that was on his tongue and mumbled an apology instead. Now he was busy rubbing his face with his sleeve to get the mud off. The moment his eyes were clear again, Jaxon looked around for his attacker, but of course he couldn't spot Telia, because the Ochredrake had hidden herself well and her scales blended in perfectly with her surroundings.

The exorcist on the other hand hadn't yet tried to spot anything. Motionless and with his eyes closed he just stood there clad in his magnificent robes and an almost tangible aura of concentration. The whole forest was brimming with life and being an exorcist Erastor was able to feel this energy to a degree. Relying on the same sense he had used to see the energy flowing from the White Dragon to the injured Hellfire Wyvern during the healing process, he suddenly opened his spiritual-trained eyes and looked around. Now he could see the life-force of Valerian burning like a proud and couragious fire and also the life-force of the boy Jaxon, that was springy like a green, growing tree. But there was another life-force nearby: A strong, lively and exuberant energy that could only belong to the attacker from before. With unerring precision Erastor pointed in Telia's direction and demanded with a loud and dignified voice: "I call thee out spirit of the forest that possesses far too much life-energy to be a mere ghost. Show yourself to us and explain the purpose of your mischievous deeds!"

Edited by Isirion