Syrup

Stupid Laws

I feel like I'm very odd, crazy, rebellious person. But...

• Most of **** contents are totally illegal (And the government is able to block access these sites well. **** old-fashioned people!)
  • Under agers are not allowed to play online games at 00:00AM~06:00AM (Although I'm not under ager anymore)
Edited by Kyath The Dream Worker

To continue the "dying in the House of Commons" theme, I've read that the penalty for suicide was death sentence in some American states... Kinda defeats the point, I'd say...

In Samoa it is illegal to forget your wife’s birthday.

In Missouri it is illegal to drive with an uncaged bear. Which means they'll never see me and my pet bear, since a leash has always been enough :D

The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a recipe for making beer.

Pennsylvania you can buy some hardcore fireworks, unless you also live in PA, then you’re stuck with sparklers (idk if those are actually legal, but they’re everywhere). Connecticut has really strict laws for what fireworks you can sell, but, afaik, no laws about a day trip to PA, and PA actively insists their epic fireworks be taken out of state, so… 

My brother spent like $400 on fireworks the first time he visited me in PA because of this!

Someone posted a few unusual California laws on the first page, but none of them were actually stupid from a logical perspective. I humbly submit that the poster should've taken the time to contemplate whether or not the laws in question were worthy of ridicule. No offense, but I question the sanity of anyone who wouldn't mind a nuke going off inside city limits. (Even a metal spoon inside a microwave isn't pretty.) I agree that there is some absurdity in the low price of the fine for detonating, however.

California laws that really do defy logic, for the most part:

- You are not permitted to wear cowboy boots unless you already own at least two cows. (Blythe)

- A man can’t go outside while wearing a jacket and pants that do not match. (Carmel)

- Ice cream may not be eaten while standing on the sidewalk. ***Repealed when Clint Eastwood was mayor.*** (Carmel)

- Women may not wear high heels while in the city limits. (Carmel; go there a lot and am still wondering where the women are that wear heels while on horseback in the countryside)

- It is illegal to curse on a mini-golf course. (Long Beach)

- It is a crime for dogs to mate within 500 yards of a church. (Los Angeles)

- You cannot bathe two babies in the same tub at the same time. (Los Angeles)

- It is illegal to cry on the witness stand. (Los Angeles; utterly heartless)

- Two bathtubs may not be installed in the same house. (Prunedale)

- Persons classified as "ugly" may not walk down any street. (San Francisco; gotta be the most stereotypically Californian thing I've ever heard)

- It is illegal to wipe one's car with used underwear. (San Francisco; used to live there and only ever went to an actual car wash, thanks - would be hilarious to see someone do this on Lombard)

- It is illegal to have more than two cats or dogs. (San Jose; used to live there and broke this one all the time - with outdoor cats, it was very easy)

- You may not play percussion instruments on the beach. (Santa Monica)

- Women may not drive in a house coat.

- It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale. (I'm not going to dignify this with a comment.)

- In San Francisco, it is illegal to store your things in your garage.

- In Los Angeles, it is illegal to wear a zoot suit.

- In the city of Walnut, it is illegal for a man to dress up like a woman unless prior permission has been gained from the sheriff. (And Cali's supposed to be the most liberal state in the Union.)

- In Dana Point, you may not use your own bathroom if the window is open.

- It's illegal to lure someone to a store by playing a trumpet in Indian Wells.

Permanent markers cannot be sold anywhere within the city limits of Fresno.

- It's against the law for a man with a mustache to kiss a woman in Eureka.

- In Hollywood, it's illegal to drive more than 2000 sheep down Hollywood Boulevard at once. (Not stupid, just funny.)

- Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses. (You don't say. :rolleyes:)

There are more; I only mentioned the most legendary. I think California just won this thread.

Edited by Sesshomaru

Hmmmm... I dunno if this only applies to CURRENT laws BUT...

THIS one is certain an ODD law, if nothing else...

DID you know that in the state of Wisconsin it used to be ILLEGAL to sell margarine?

People apparently used to smuggle it from Illinois, from what I read.

XD

Edited by JavaTigress

Charlatan's job is forbidden in Italy. I don't know what do they mean with "charlatan".

Also, in a town on the north of Venice, on the beach it is forbidden: collect shells, collect sand (wtf), build sand castles, walk without a t-shirt.
In Venice you cannot fed pigeons (maybe this is not so stupid for Venice was invaded by pigeons years ago).

In California, I just found out that if I am totally blind, I can apply to not having to pay for vehicle registration fees on my car...

Some interesting laws, from my home state of Arizona:

(Whole state)

It is illegal to manufacture imitation cocaine.

Hunting camels is prohibited.

There is a possible 25 years in prison for cutting down a cactus (to be fair, this is mainly referring to saguaro cacti, which only grow here and in a bit of Mexico).

Donkeys cannot sleep in bathtubs.

It is unlawful to refuse a person a glass of water (we're in the desert, it gets hot here, this one makes perfect sense)

Any misdemeanor committed while wearing a red mask is considered a felony.

When being attacked by a criminal or burglar, you may only protect yourself with the same weapon that the other person possesses.

You may not have more than two [adult toys]* in a house (*actual description edited to the best of my ability).

(City)

Tuscon:

Women may not wear pants.

Globe:

Cards may not be played in the street with a Native American.

Hayden:

If you bother the cottontails or bullfrogs, you will be fined.

(Entire Maricopa County)

No more than six girls may live in any house

(Entire Mohave County)

A decree declares that anyone caught stealing soap must wash himself with it until it is all used up.

Nogales:

An ordinance prohibits the wearing of suspenders.

Prescott:

No one is permitted to ride their horse up the stairs of the county court house.

Here's a recently effective dumb law from Hungary: age ratings are required for commercial breaks with the exception of PSAs and political ads. The change was introduced as part of the sex offender Trojan horse, which includes Russian-style "gay propaganda" legislation.

On 7/19/2018 at 6:44 PM, NoonRaccoon said:

Some interesting laws, from my home state of Arizona:

(Entire Maricopa County)

No more than six girls may live in any house

Obion County, TN has this law, too.  It's the reason there were fraternity houses but no sorority houses at my university. 

31 minutes ago, sorenna said:

Obion County, TN has this law, too.  It's the reason there were fraternity houses but no sorority houses at my university. 

Laws prohibiting more than X number of unrelated girls living in one house were a way of keeping any brothels from getting established.

1 hour ago, catstaff said:

Laws prohibiting more than X number of unrelated girls living in one house were a way of keeping any brothels from getting established.

Yep, that was why it was on the books.  Funny how no one was concerned that X number of unrelated men might be there for the same reason, though...  D:<

The UK has a lot of really vague laws and police overstepping, some of the funniest imo..

Illegal to impersonate a ghost at a funeral

Illegal to carry a potato peeler in public

Illegal to have a "f*** the police* tote bag in your window

If you want to go into the super vague 2003 obscenity law there's hundreds of dumb arrests and i'm not going to mention the pug one.