Sundew

Your Activity on DC

Searched pretty thoroughly, don't think this is a duplicate. :3

Have you ever had an inactivity spell, or more than one? Ever quit DC entirely?

I myself struggle with activity every few months, but usually come back a few weeks later.

How do you deal with inactivity?

How would you encourage an inactive user to return to DC?

How long are you usually inactive for?

What is it that causes you to lose interest in DC in the first place?

What makes you come back?

After Halloween last year, I didn't come on until March of this year.

Which makes no sense, since my dragons didn't lose their names...

But I clearly remember not coming on in forever. rolleyes.gif

Now I'm more dedicated to the site, even achieved my Gold Badge biggrin.gif

I had a bunch of Life Stuff come up last summer which resulted in an unintended two-month hiatus from DC. My dragons lost their names and I had to rename them all, so I'm determined not to let that happen again!

I keep setting new goals for myself to keep my interest going - personal lineage projects, working toward my gold trophy, and trying to summon those elusive GoNs are some of them.

A couple of months after I joined DC, I got distracted by an mmorpg, playing that pretty obsessively at the expense of any other online games - I just forgot about DC. Eventually I remembered and came back to it about a year and a half later - luckily I hadn't named any of my dragons so didn't really lose much (other than missing a few holiday events).

I imagine, with the release of Diablo 3 next week, I'll probably not be as active as I have been for a while, but I intend to keep logging in to pick up eggs, even if they're commons/bred dragons - I don't think I'm going to have time for rare hunting for a while though.

I lose interest in the site periodically. Mostly because I lose sight of whatever it is I'm supposed to be working towards here. xd.png Then I come back and there's a bunch of new dragons to collect, which is pretty nice.

How do you deal with inactivity? I make a point to log in once a month. I make sure the kids log in once a month so they dont lose their names (daughter lost all her names, but shes not interested in renaming)

How would you encourage an inactive user to return to DC? I dont. I message them to let them know there are new releases and whatnot but i dont push it.

How long are you usually inactive for? Generally not that long. I feel guilty when i go inactive cause i know i should be ... modding tongue.gif My scroll has not gone inactive, but i have been modding way less than i used to. Where i used to be active for like.. most of the day and night every day, i now am only active for a few hours, if that in chat.

What is it that causes you to lose interest in DC in the first place? Breeding. I have two specific lineage projects i care about, and neither of those have been breeding much for the past year. That and now i cant catch the eggs i need to build up the third year of that plan... so its rather frustrating.

What makes you come back? Modding. I do like the users i have dealt with for the past three years, but theres not much of a challenge to the game anymore for me. I also stick around because I have had some concept ideas I really want to get done (theres one i have been trying to get drawn since BEFORE i became a mod, it refuses to let me draw it). I do enjoy the people, the conversations and I learn a lot about things i would normally have no interest in (pet snakes... *shudder*) Because of the passion some of the users show about some things, I've learned to reconsider things i dont like and see them in new ways. Im also starting to like posting on the forum more. I really made a point to avoid the forum for a good long time.

I had the longest spell of inactivity... from about 2009 a little after the valentine dragons were released, right up until a few months ago. I don't think I'll ever quit for that long again though. I missed waay too much for that... catching up is a pain in the backside.

I don't even remember why I left now.

Running pretty hot on DC at the moment though... I have no idea how long it'll be until I start to lose interest, but hopefully it'll be a while. tongue.gif

I play on other sites and make sure to at least login to keep my account.

By helping them with their collection or hoard?

Before now.. years. sleep.gif

Before now, I think it was because I had a hard time hatching eggs.

The fact I can breed and create my own lines. biggrin.gif

Nope. I've been playing continuously since I grabbed my first egg back in Oct 2008.

I've been playing continuously since I joined in September. It's not that long, but oh well. xd.png Sometimes I get busy and for a few days I'm not that active and I just lurk around the forum and stuff, but dry spells like that usually don't last more than a couple of days. Since I joined, I've never gone an entire day without having any eggs on my scroll. I usually replace them as soon as they hatch or within a few hours.

I joined in 2010 April, and stayed until September, where I kind of forgot about it and didn't come back until the middle of Feburary 2011 (missing Halloween and Christmas but I managed to get a valentine) I then got bored and left AGAIN in September, and back at the start of Feburary. (missing Halloween and Christmas. :/.)

EDIT: Got 2010 and 2012 mixed up. Derp.

Edited by Khallayne

I didn't do much when I first joined, it was the time that I had farms to look after! rolleyes.gif

After a while I realised where my priorities lay and goodbye farms, hello dragons. biggrin.gif

catching alone wont keep me active here, so right now its setting goals. i have 5 goals currently

- various breeding projects

- catching 1 CB breeding pair of each dragon type

- helping out on gifting (especially with holidays)

- i'm obsessed with catchign my first CB Silver since i was lucky enough to snag a gold <3

- getting 1 nice lineaged tinsel from each of the prize dragons

this shoudl keep me happily occupied here on DC for as long as i'm willign to play. especially the tinsel and breeding project goal xd.png

make a breeding project. takes a lot of effort to do these, gives you somethign spefic to hunt for and when you have a goal of 5 EG's on a semi hard to get breed or certain color scheme you get a sense of self satisfaction at looking at the prettiness you've been able to acomplish.

also, get them to start posting here *nods*

i've only been playing for a total of 2 years, and i went inactive for abotu 6 months because RL and other internet responsabilityies kicked my butt. i hope to not go inactive again, because well that woudl really harm my goal of 1 CB breeding pair of each dragon. i mean, i'm already never gonna get a frill or bright pink on my scroll due to inactivety, so i really don't want that to happen with another breed.

lack of a clear goal and i wasn't part of the DC Forum either.

tbh, i picked up my Pokemon Blue game for some good old nastalgia, saw an egg in a friends siggy on another forum and i was like *facepalm* OMG i total forgot about that game! i wonder if my scroll is still there xd.png

Edited by Red2111

How do you deal with inactivity? I'm not very inactive much, and if I have been it is on my own terms. I just log in most days and try and breed eggs for my friend.

How would you encourage an inactive user to return to DC? I wouldn't, it's their own choice and I trust their reasons. My friend quit DC and I miss him very much, but I have to say the reasons leading up to it were caused by himself.

How long are you usually inactive for? On DC, I had a few weeks where nothing was caught on my scroll but I wasn't properly. On DC forums it was roughly 1-2 weeks where I did not post at all, just lurked.

What is it that causes you to lose interest in DC in the first place? Not having anything to do and felt ignored by people.

What makes you come back? Knowing that at least one person missed me posting and around.

Have you ever had an inactivity spell, or more than one? Ever quit DC entirely?

Only when travelling or we have visitors etc.

As with anything else in life - I live on biggrin.gif

I wouldn't - it's none of my business.

A month or two, occasionally.

I don't lose interest - other things simply get in the way. I have a life outside the web biggrin.gif

Having the time/internet access again.

But I do make VERY sure not to be out of it long enough to lose my names... biggrin.gif

I used to be very dedicated to DC. Would keep it my browser tabs, check forums once a day for new eggs etc. But there came a time when I had the majority of dragon types, and with the long gaps between releases & kinda outside the community, lost interest somewhere.

Came back to find all my names gone, new abbreviations and new language used in most posts I don't understand. Don't even understand trading anymore unsure.gif Think I could have only been gone for 6 months or so, but seems a lot longer. Finding it very hard to 'catchup' as it were.

Not sure why I came back tbh, saw a link elsewhere and noticed some new eggs out. Picked up a couple on a whim, I always did like to collect different types. Would really like to spend the time renaming all my dragons.. but concerned I'd lose them again if I forgot to log in sad.gif

I'm very compulsive in how I do things. Sometimes it's Tumblr, sometimes it's LJ, sometimes it's DC... It varies.

How do you deal with inactivity? Hm. I don't, really, though I try and make sure that I log in every once in awhile. I know I have ups and downs in activity and trying to force it doesn't really make any sense.

How would you encourage an inactive user to return to DC? I...don't, really? I think people losing interest or moving on is natural.

How long are you usually inactive for? Well, my biggest burst of inactivity was from about April of 2009 to September 2011. tongue.gif So 2 1/2 years.

What is it that causes you to lose interest in DC in the first place? Last time it was feeling as though I had all the dragons that I wanted/needed, and this was before trades existed, etc. A lot of things are present on the site now that make it easier and more fun to play.

What makes you come back? Well, I came back because I spotted a dragon on someone's page on LJ, and this made me think of my account smile.gif

As well, I'm an IRC mod, now... So people talk about eggs and things and that makes me remember to log in and check. It makes it more fun, too - the people are everything, imo. I'm not that big on lineages right now but I love gifting and talking about the site and showing stuff to people who appreciate it. :3

Have you ever had an inactivity spell, or more than one? Ever quit DC entirely?I did, back in 2009. It was for personal reasons, and I also didn't have access to the internet, except at the local library. Once I had internet again, the first thing I did was come back to DC.

How do you deal with inactivity?Go stir crazy tongue.gif Once in awhile, the BF will decide that he wants to use the laptop, so normally I go through in my mind different lineages I could try, whom to Glomp next, and what breedings I will do once I'm back online.

How would you encourage an inactive user to return to DC?I wouldn't. It's not really any of my business

How long are you usually inactive for?The first time was for at least 6 months (because I didn't share a computer with anyone, I was never logged out, and luckily, never lost my dragons' names) and now it's only for a few days at a time.

What is it that causes you to lose interest in DC in the first place?I didn't lose interest. I just had to go through some personal issues.

What makes you come back? The dragons, the people, the excitement of catching a rare dragon, and being able to make others happy with gifting and Glomping. I intend to stay with DC for as long as it's still going smile.gif

After I joined in '08, I went inactive for about 2 years before coming back, lol. Lack of things to do and the unpleasantly messy forums is what led me to leave the first time (and the panic about CB Vampires), but after coming back in '10 I haven't really had any inactivity streaks. More dragon sprites and name collecting is what brought me back/keeps me here =) I just take things slow, keeps me from getting bored.

I've remained active since joining. There are times that I may not have eggs or hatchlings on my scroll, but I can usually find interesting topics in the forums, and there's breeding and gifting to keep me active.

I've only quit once for six months. Pure and utter frustration at not getting a male Winter seasonal dragon drove me off the game (this was before the Influence BSA came out). I logged on about once a week, though, to make sure my dragons kept their names.

How do you deal with inactivity? I don't. This is just something to do when I have nothing else to do with myself.

How would you encourage an inactive user to return to DC? Not my business.

How long are you usually inactive for? There is no usually for me. I started in very late 2008, stopped for a time in spring of 2009 and came back in March of this year.

What is it that causes you to lose interest in DC in the first place? Boredom. I'm more the type to collect sprites, just don't have any interest in breeding or lineages so it's not all that easy to keep my interest for a long time without new stuff coming out.

What makes you come back? It was actually pretty random. Just decided one day at random to see if my scroll still existed and it did, so I tried to get a few new dragons.

I took a break for a few months once. I still logged in every now and then because I knew I'd come back and didn't want to lose names, but was just not interested in catching/breeding. Still, when coming back, I realized I missed the first Easter event and the Trios and regretted it immensely.

Ever since then I've been playing pretty continuously. There might be times when I'm just not in the mood for AP stalking, but they're usually very short.

I'm online pretty much every day. I make quick visits at weekends, but during the week I'm online for a several hours at a time.

I have a life, somewhere. I think it needs taking out and dusting though.

How do you deal with inactivity? I just let it pass me, it doesn't last very long for the most part.

How long are you usually inactive for? The longest I went was about 1 week without going on the site. I would just grab eggs hatch them just before death, let them pile up and have tons to name when I got back.

What is it that causes you to lose interest in DC in the first place? My interest shifted to other games. Lost the interest in naming the dragons.

What makes you come back? Like collected dragons, breeding em and naming them.