sealfan054

Hetalia

Well I can't believe someone hasn't done hetalia yet. So who is your favorite character and why? This topic is for anything Hetalia related. My favorite is Japan. He is actually kinda like me; quiet, doesn't like to speak, is Asian smile.gif, he actually looks quite a bit like me... He is my favorite character and I know his theme song by heart smile.gif

ok so i'm new to this site and i was wondering if anyone watches the anime series hetalia.

If you do watch it, what's your favorite character???

If you dont watch it, WATCH IT!!!! lol tongue.gif

~Clickspam removed~

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Well heartlesslove101, of course I watch it!!! :P in my first post, I said my favorite character was japan. I even have a Minecraft skin for it (if you dont know wht minecraft is, go google it :P)

I used to watch it, but now I can't get it on my computer anymore. sad.gif

My favorites have got to be Russia and Austria.

I love how Austria appears out of no where...playing a piano...on the ocean. tongue.gif

I used to watch it. and I read the little comics as well. My ultimate favorite would happen to be England (I don't know. Those eyebvrows just...It's really hard to explain xd.png).

Russia and America were favorites as well along with Seychelles (Even though she did not appear much).

I have to say my favorite pairing is Spamano. ;D It's a love hate relationship. Also it reminds me of how my dad acts with me: My dad being Spain (he actually is a Spaniard) and myself as Southern Italy.

Tomatoes.

I'd say my favorite character is Romania. Mostly because I find him adorable and his interest in the disgustingly creepy is both cute and funny. Bot to mention his friendship with Bulgaria seems sweet.

I also like Korea, Hong Hong, Canada, and the Nordics.

The whole thing's ****ing stupid in my opinion. Sorry, it's the way I feel *shrug* having lost a whole generation of relatives to the Japanese during WWII doesn't help either.

"HEY, THIS WAR KILLED MILLIONS OF PEOPLE. WE SHOULD RE-ENACT IT WITH OH-SO-FUHNNY KAWAII ANIME GUYS."

"I AGREE, THAT TOTALLY DOESN'T MAKE US TERRIBLE PEOPLE."

Edited by ylangylang

Well...in favorite characters....that would be really hard. Right now I'm leaning to Hong Kong. And South Korea. Love them both~

I have to admit, I'm mostly into it just to slash the cute nation guys together.

My favorite characters are probably Ladonia, Canada, and maaaayyybe Russia.

@ylangylang

I can totally understand that. I'm actually kind of glad you brought it up, because I know a few Hetalia fans that get really upset when any fanart is made depicting events like 9/11.

They're like "That was a tragic event and lots of people died! You shouldn't draw fanart based on it!"

It's like they don't understand what the entire show is about. :I

I like the episodes that are more history based- they give me topics to research further (because obviously one shouldn't take an anime as their only source), and it really helped me dig deeper into Europe's past. I can't say I'm really part of the fandom (because of its descent into a total yaoi-fest), but I *love* the fanart that takes on a more historical aspect (the fashion/uniforms, the time period, the mood). Russia's my favorite character because of his tortured personality stemming from his country's tragic and often twisted past- seeing that condensed into a single character is really fascinating to study.

I actually has a Heta RP if anyone wants to see...

I agree. I clearly remember 9/11 and it was terrifying, even if I was in second grade... but I love seeing people draw it and see how America is reacting.

My favorite character... hm... I love all of them, but Germany and Sealand are my favorites, though all of them have their moments. It is one of the best animes I've seen. :3

I've watched it over at my friends house.

And appearantly, I'm female Greece and female Germany according to my friends.

Don't ask how I got those two, it's a little complicated.

No, seriously, people are upset over this. Look, it's been made in a country-namely Japan-where politicians routinely deny the extent of their atrocities during WWII and some paint themselves as victims of America's nuclear bombing. Sorry, but don't you guys think that would hit a nerve on some people? Especially people who really want Japan to stop denying these atrocities and make sure that everyone is educated about their country's colonialist and imperialist past?

Whatever. I get that you guys think it's funny, but to some people-to some people who're tired of Japan making light of its actions during WWII-not f***ing funny at all.

WARNING: Descriptions of horrible events, atrocities, etc.

My paternal grandfather was almost forcibly drafted, even though he was not Japanese, into fighting for Japan, even though he hated Japan's colonial rule. My maternal grandmother was almost tricked by her teacher to "go to Japan to meet the emperor", while in reality it was more like "go to Japan to become a forced laborer or sex slave." They both endured periods of great starvation during WWII and before, because Japan was sucking every single damned resource in order to win a war they were rapidly losing. My maternal grandmother was forced to use a Japanese name, to observe Japanese Shinto rituals, to stop using her native language at school or risk being punished.

To them, the Japanese management of our country during WWII and before is a period of great tragedy, most of which is still being denied by many Japanese politicians and not being adequately dealt with by mainstream Japanese dducation and media.

I know that the majority of Japanese people living today aren't personally responsible for the actions of their ancestors and the government. I'm not personally upset at them and I don't hate every Japanese person. I just hate their ultra-conservative government and the media, especially s*** like this that glorifies and makes light of their WWII atrocities.

If everyone-or most people, even-in Japan were aware of these horrible tragedies and stuff, I wouldn't be as upset, but the point is that they're not.

Look, most of you aren't probably familiar with modern East Asian history, so you probably won't get this, so I'll try to find a similar case. What if the Germans made a lighthearted cartoon about the Holocaust? About the concentration camps? Would you still be like "Lol funny"? Look up Bantam Death Marches, Nanjing Massacre, Comfort women, Unit 731, Okinawa massacre and much, much more, which aren't dealt with in the context of the anime at all. And I would go even further and say that the situation between these two aren't really compatible; they're comparable in that they were both large scale atrocities. However, the Holocaust is, in a sense, a "done" issue. It's been largely hammered into Germans, Europeans, and other people around the world that it was an atrocity, and that it shouldn't ever happen again. Imperial Japan, on the other hand, is an "ongoing" issue. Politicians repeatedly go back on their apologies, they don't even teach stuff like this properly, and most of the world doesn't know. So...making fun of what Imperial Japan did is going to touch a lot more nerve than making light of the Holocaust.

There. Point made.

Oh and by the way-I find it amusing that some of you guys like South Korea so much when the government in S.Korea banned this manga and anime for being offensive and the majority of people in S.Korea hate this crap.

I hope you learn more about Imperial Japan and its horrible actions taken before, during, and after WWII (denying the Nanjing massacre and stuff-these guys should be afforded the same amount of horror on par with Holocaust deniers, but hey, the Western media doesn't give a s***), before you start going on about how much this helped with history and stuff. But hey, who cares about East Asians and their history and politics, hmm?

ETA: And I would argue that the Japanese army was even less effective than the Italian army.

Edited by ylangylang

I love Canada , Japan , and Norway . biggrin.gif

I need to get back to watching it . ha

I love Hetalia to the point that technically all my dragons belong to the characters~ But I mostly love reading historically based fanfics and such

Oh yes~ Did anyone else hear that Season Five of the anime is coming soon~?

"The September issue of Gentosha's Monthly Comic Birz magazine is announcing on Monday that a fifth season of the Hetalia anime has been green-lit. The same issue notes that the fifth volume of Hidekaz Himaruya's original manga will go on sale on Tuesday."

Read to what I'm about to say. There is a rumor goin' around that on December 25 every Hetalian (Hetalia fan) Will be goin' out side at midnight to sing the Hetalian National Anthem "Marukaite chikyuu" SO YOU COULD HEAR THE WHOLE WORLD HEAR THE SONG AND MAKE HISTORY!! Spread the word!! Post this in your journal! repost this on hetalia fan/plz accounts! FaceBook! Myspace! Twitter! We only 'ave less then 4 MONTHS untill it happens!!! SPREAD THE WORD!!!!

i also read it will be going from 25-26 even though its MIDNIGHT.. sadly i might not be able to do it D: did anyone else hear of this??

my favorite characters are prussia and romano. because they are. and it's just a cute anime, those stereotypes aren't in there for nothing they need personalities. it's not saying that every american stuffs their faces with cheeseburgers. i personally laugh at that stereotype, and all the ones america portrays. it's just for humor.

it's just for humor.

Except, from the perspective of nations who were actually brutalized by Japan, it isn't funny, we've repeatedly told them, except they continue doing that.

If someone says that something I do isn't funny and is actually offensive, I'd quit that in a second.

Seriously sometimes I just hate the fact that there are a large percentage of Americans on this board, because some of you just don't understand or care about the issues people from other countries raise in objection. What would you feel if Germany made a "funny" cartoon depicting stereotypical Jewish people?

And don't give me the "they need personalities so stereotypes" bs. If you've been stereotyped in your life, you'd know how harmful they are.

Edited by ylangylang

Except, from the perspective of nations who were actually brutalized by Japan, it isn't funny, we've repeatedly told them, except they continue doing that.

If someone says that something I do isn't funny and is actually offensive, I'd quit that in a second.

Seriously sometimes I just hate the fact that there are a large percentage of Americans on this board, because some of you just don't understand or care about the issues people from other countries raise in objection. What would you feel if Germany made a "funny" cartoon depicting stereotypical Jewish people?

And don't give me the "they need personalities so stereotypes" bs. If you've been stereotyped in your life, you'd know how harmful they are.

yeah, actually it has. some people know how to laugh about it though. it's not to be taken seriously...except the historical events.

and the about the jewish people that's not really fair because that is offensive. i'm not jewish, but then they are attacking relegion and the people instead of land masses. now some people native to that country, who find it offensive should just stop watching it/ care about it. it isn't to hard to walk away from it. if they don't care, they shouldn't rant about it then because they are still watching it and really shouldn't mind.

that probably didn't come out the way i wanted to. and i'm not talking about the stereotypes, they do need something to say "i'm (insert country here)" it's not saying that everyone who lives in that nation is like that.

Edited by NightLovesFantasies

yeah, actually it has. some people know how to laugh about it though. it's not to be taken seriously...except the historical events.

and the about the jewish people that's not really fair because that is offensive. i'm not jewish, but then they are attacking relegion and the people instead of land masses. now some people native to that country, who find it offensive should just stop watching it/ care about it. it isn't to hard to walk away from it. if they don't care, they shouldn't rant about it then because they are still watching it and really shouldn't mind.

that probably didn't come out the way i wanted to. and i'm not talking about the stereotypes, they do need something to say "i'm (insert country here)" it's not saying that everyone who lives in that nation is like that.

Oh spare me this discussion.

Look, yes some people will find things funny when someone else stereotypes them, but guess what, the majority of people won't. That's like the same argument that goes when person A makes, say, a racist gesture, person B gets offended, person A says "why? My (insert race here) friend found it funny." So? The thing is, the majority of people do get offended. And yes, that comparison isn't correct per se, but that's the closest example I could find. I could give an example about, say, Europeans marginalizing people from their colonies, or Native Americans being made fun of, but in the historical context and the period of time I'm referring to, the Holocaust is the closest example I could find. And no, I can't f***ing walk away from it because it's constantly shoved in my face. That's like saying to a victim of sexism "walk away from it" except they can't. Sorry, but you think harmful stereotypes are called harmful for no reason? If I could have walked away from all the history-denying s***, I could have. Only I can't.

Historical events? What f***ing historical events? Does the show refer to Japanese atrocities both in the Pacific and in Asia? Because I haven't seen any. And most of the stuff were focused on what the Europeans did in WWII, and almost none about what Japan did. Look up Bantam death marches, Unit 731, comfort women, Nanjin massacre, and so on. You've never heard of them referred to in the anime? Well can't say I'm surprised.

Seriously you guys have no idea what people in Asia REALLY feel like towards this stupid anime, so I tell you guys what people here feel like towards this, and then you guys are like "oh la yeah it offends you but we find it funny so meh." Couldn't you guys just listen to WHY people hate it instead of making stupid excuses?

And yeah, you're coming up as offensive.

Lastly, "they do need something to say 'I'm (insert country here)'" yeah. Riiiiight. They could have just did a brief intro of "oh, I'm from x nation" just like they do in other anime. Plenty of animes have people from other countries mixed in them, that doesn't get shoved in their face all the time. And guess what? Stereotypes are harmful, period.

Edited by ylangylang

Oh spare me this discussion.

Look, yes some people will find things funny when someone else stereotypes them, but guess what, the majority of people won't. That's like the same argument that goes when person A makes, say, a racist gesture, person B gets offended, person A says "why? My (insert race here) friend found it funny." So? The thing is, the majority of people do get offended. And yes, that comparison isn't correct per se, but that's the closest example I could find. I could give an example about, say, Europeans marginalizing people from their colonies, or Native Americans being made fun of, but in the historical context and the period of time I'm referring to, the Holocaust is the closest example I could find. And no, I can't f***ing walk away from it because it's constantly shoved in my face. That's like saying to a victim of sexism "walk away from it" except they can't. Sorry, but you think harmful stereotypes are called harmful for no reason? If I could have walked away from all the history-denying s***, I could have. Only I can't.

Historical events? What f***ing historical events? Does the show refer to Japanese atrocities both in the Pacific and in Asia? Because I haven't seen any. And most of the stuff were focused on what the Europeans did in WWII, and almost none about what Japan did. Look up Bantam death marches, Unit 731, comfort women, Nanjin massacre, and so on. You've never heard of them referred to in the anime? Well can't say I'm surprised.

And yeah, you're coming up as offensive.

Lastly, "they do need something to say 'I'm (insert country here)'" yeah. Riiiiight. They could have just did a brief intro of "oh, I'm from x nation" just like they do in other anime. Plenty of animes have people from other countries mixed in them, that doesn't get shoved in their face all the time. And guess what? Stereotypes are harmful, period.

i'm not trying to be offensive. i really don't want to have this arguement with someone who doesn't like hetalia. your shoving it in your face right now. don't blame anything else.

if you don't like what hetalia portrays just don't click on the threads/videos/whatever just to rant.

why click on something you enjoy when you could click on something you hate to rant?

yes stereotypes can be hurtful but if you can laugh at it then there's no reason not to watch hetalia. i know that people from X country aren't like that. at least not all of them. there's so many more hurtful things than hetalia why pick on it?

it doesn't list all of the historical events, but it does show some.

the rest i can read from the history books. yes i do enjoy history, i enjoyed it before hetalia i enjoy it more now. is that so wrong?

i'm not trying to be offensive. i really don't want to have this arguement with someone who doesn't like hetalia. your shoving it in your face right now. don't blame anything else.

if you don't like what hetalia portrays just don't click on the threads/videos/whatever just to rant.

why click on something you enjoy when you could click on something you hate to rant?

yes stereotypes can be hurtful but if you can laugh at it then there's no reason not to watch hetalia. i know that people from X country aren't like that. at least not all of them. there's so many more hurtful things than hetalia why pick on it?

it doesn't list all of the historical events, but it does show some.

the rest i can read from the history books. yes i do enjoy history, i enjoyed it before hetalia i enjoy it more now. is that so wrong?

No, this is a discussion thread. If you've read my original posts, I've went through reasons as to why people hate it in this region (not country, region) why it's offensive to people in this region, why it's a good case of victims not having their voice and how perpetrators gloss over their misdeeds.

If this was a racism thread, and someone made an anime making fun of African-Americans during the slave-owning period in the confederates, I'm sure you guys would feel differently. And no, this is a discussion thread, so I feel that my opinion is just as valid as yours. I'm not ranting.

And you can't tell someone to just "laugh it off." Look, I am discriminated and stereotyped almost every inch of my life, and here's another s*** to add onto my daily workload of offensive racist trope, and I speak against it. Yeah, there are more harmful things, but so? You see women speaking against the sexist portrayals of women in the media, you don't tell them to go off because domestic violence is more important. People speak out in all forms of discrimination they face, it's not like they cherry-pick just one thing. I actually participate in the House of Sharing, which by the way, you wouldn't know because you aren't interested in Modern Asian history.

Yeah, Hetalia makes some attempts to portray history-but the thing is, it's overwhelmingly Western history, which is what's told in your school anyways. There's next to nothing about modern Asian history, and most of that's glossed over, which is a problem because it's not dealt with in many parts of the world anyways; however, that doesn't mean that it's not important. It means that people from Asia is not getting a say in how they're portrayed.

Why do you not see this as a problem?

No, this is a discussion thread. If you've read my original posts, I've went through reasons as to why people hate it in this region (not country, region) why it's offensive to people in this region, why it's a good case of victims not having their voice and how perpetrators gloss over their misdeeds.

If this was a racism thread, and someone made an anime making fun of African-Americans during the slave-owning period in the confederates, I'm sure you guys would feel differently. And no, this is a discussion thread, so I feel that my opinion is just as valid as yours. I'm not ranting.

And you can't tell someone to just "laugh it off." Look, I am discriminated and stereotyped almost every inch of my life, and here's another s*** to add onto my daily workload of offensive racist trope, and I speak against it. Yeah, there are more harmful things, but so? You see women speaking against the sexist portrayals of women in the media, you don't tell them to go off because domestic violence is more important. People speak out in all forms of discrimination they face, it's not like they cherry-pick just one thing. I actually participate in the House of Sharing, which by the way, you wouldn't know because you aren't interested in Modern Asian history.

Yeah, Hetalia makes some attempts to portray history-but the thing is, it's overwhelmingly Western history, which is what's told in your school anyways. There's next to nothing about modern Asian history, and most of that's glossed over, which is a problem because it's not dealt with in many parts of the world anyways; however, that doesn't mean that it's not important. It means that people from Asia is not getting a say in how they're portrayed.

Why do you not see this as a problem?

well, i can. mabye it's different for you and all the other people who don't like hetalia. but for me and my friends it's just a fun anime to watch. like all animes.

yeah stereotypes hurt i get it. it's some japanese guys take on the world, he drew his own country in there don't forget that. it's his own ideas, his own creations. not mine, i don't tell him "HEY AMERICA SHOULDN'T BE STUFFING CHEESEBURGERS DOWN HIS THROAT. NOR SHOULD THERE BE A MCDONALDS." because i think it's funny. i'm not going to look at a chinese man and expect him to say "aru" at the end of every sentance. i won't look at a british person and expect their cooking to be horrible.

i also hate how women are portrayed in media, but it's their life. if they want to be like that and stereotype all girls for that then yes, i am hurt but it's their life. they can do what they want it's not up to anyone else to direct it for them. that'd be like telling an artist what they should draw, and how they should draw because not all X act like that. but some do. that's their veiw on whatever they draw.

how do you know he won't make an episode of asian history? he needs an idea on how to show it. trying to make it least offensive as possible, but people will never be fully satisfied.

i don't see it as a problem because i don't watch it fully for the history, yes i do enjoy learning something new but i also watch it for the humor. for the characters, too. if something is not told in the anime, i can look at a history book. if i want to know more about something from the anime, i look at a history book. i don't get all of my history knowledge from hetalia.