ScarMay

Book you're currently reading?

Slogging my way through Winner of the National Book Award by Jincy Willett. I'm distracted by TV, internet, and some weird discolouration on many of the pages of the book.

Edited by Lagie
typo

right now im listening to an audiobook of The Death of Jane Lawrence by Caitlin Starling, i really like it so far. i need to finish it before my loan ends in a few days, but ive been distracted with my friends getting off school too and spending time with them, plus its.. not really bedtime reading, at least for me, and reading makes me tired, so i tend to try and space it out so im not sleepy all afternoon. i have about 5 hours left, but its getting pretty tense. about 13 hours total to listen to it, eep. i might buy it once i clear my bookshelf honestly.

Needed to eat some books this week & get some 'take my head out of this world' time...   but life is busy, so getting into thought provoking complicated reading was not for this week. 

Instead I found a series by an author called Jo Holloway called Immortal Voices: Green and Gold

The University I went to was Royal Holloway, and my nickname in 6th form from some, was Green&Gold, so it caught my eye

I actually quite liked it, 5 books, with the last 2 making up over 1000 pages meant the series lasted nearly a whole 2 days when read on breaks and in the evening

Very typical teenagers/young adults meet a hidden world that only reveals itself to the chosen.  Based around someone who doesn't feel they fit in who then ends up being a hero, finding a soul mate and a bunch of friends, and eventually saving the world - whilst working through falling out with their friends, having a tense moment with their partner to be, making up with both and solving a few family riddles/crisis along the way.   

But an interesting enough concept towards the last 2 books, to make you stop, look at global events, and realise what message the author (who has a background in science, public health, IT, micro-biology) is trying to send.

I'll definitely check out her other stuff next time I need to eat some words fast :)

I was hoping to read a lot this summer, didn't happen. 😿 I think I only read one book, which was a collection of short stories: Tales from Moominvalley by Tove Jansson, obviously. I really enjoyed the stories and if I were to pick a favourite, I'd have to say The Last Dragon in the World, though The Invisible Child and The Fir Tree were also absolutely wonderful. Hopefully I can get back to reading more fiction soon!

Karen by Marie Killilea, which I last read in high school.

I just picked up Criminal Mischief by Stuart Woods. And put it down again. By page 12 our hero had climbed into bed twice with a total stranger, a woman who picked him up in a bar. Not much else to hold my attention or advance any plot. Not my kind of book. :rolleyes:

Currently reading Oathbringer, by Brandon Sanderson

i'm currently reading Amongst Our Weapons, the most recent Peter Grant book by Ben Aaronovitch

I haven't read in a while so I'm very slowly getting through Frankenstein by Mary Shelley(I really lost interest in the book but I must finish it) and I'm starting Bernini's Beloved by Sarah McPhee

3 minutes ago, biolumess44 said:

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

one of these years i'll get around to reading this.  i share a birthday with Mary Shelley!

in the meantime, i'm reading the newest Dragonlance - Dragons of Deceit. it's part of the new Destinies trilogy.  (which means it's going to end on a cliffhanger XD)

The beginning of the book is great! I feel like Shelley's strength was in her ability  to describe the motivation of Victor Frankenstein; once it trails away from there the book gets a bit messy. The copy I have was only $5 and it's pretty common, so you can get your hands on it whenever.

ah, gotcha, i'll keep that in mind.

i might have a copy of it somewhere (books are at the storage locker, as we're moving next month. but i'll be reboxing a LOT of my books, so...)  but if i don't have it, there's always a library!

Dragonflight Anne McCaffrey, to be followed by the two after it. I reread these about once a year.

Currently reading Alloy of Law, the first of the sequel trilogy to Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

I love his mix of good storytelling with just enough humor to keep things from being overly serious

Started Edgedancer, also by Brandon Sanderson

I'm re-reading the Inheritance Cycle by Chris Paolini. I'm on the last one atm. I can't wait for book 5 to come out! He hasn't said anything about it yet but has hinted he is releasing a book with "dragons" in the future.

I'm almost finished with Boneshaker by Cherie Priest. I don't dislike it but I'm not thoroughly enjoying it either, because one of the main characters is so passive. He doesn't do anything, everything just happens to him, and there's an awful lot happening but barely any plot. I need more steampunk books to read.

A Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon. A friend recommended the series and we had book one in my thrift shop so I brought it home. I'm enjoying it.

I just finished Bedrock Faith by Eric Charles May for school.

My laptop is in the shop because of a broken fan and I might not get it back for a few weeks, so I'm going to reread The Mortal Instruments for the fourth time (terrible, terrible comfort series) and see how far I can get. I just started the first book last night.

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo. I'm trying to get back into reading and I've been seeing a lot of book recommendations on social media, so my list keeps growing and it's endless.

So I finished the third book in the mortal instruments by the end of my semester, and I'm planning on starting the next one next semester when I start school. Currently I want to finish The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas before the new year so it can count towards my 2022 books on Goodreads. My plan is to listen to the audio book (as I have been doing) while making cookies! I'm more than halfway through it.

2 hours ago, Impulsive_Egg said:

So I finished the third book in the mortal instruments by the end of my semester, and I'm planning on starting the next one next semester when I start school. 

woo for mortal instruments! my fav so far has been the infernal devices trilogy!

I'm currently reading Talon by Julie Kagawa. I forgot how much I love her writing and I recently finished the Iron Fey series