ScarMay

Book you're currently reading?

On 11/13/2021 at 11:02 PM, trystan said:

HPL's Necronomicon stories? sure, go for it.  it IS fiction after all.  i'm pretty sure i've read like 98% of anything HPL wrote, so.... XD 

also, i'm now reading The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.  it's the first book in the Wayfarer series of four books

thank you ^^ Yes is fiction, but i hate the scary description 😂 i'm cowardly.  I put the title of the book in my  wish christmas list!

ps: For the moment, the Chtulu stories i love so much!

10 hours ago, sakurakid said:

thank you ^^ Yes is fiction, but i hate the scary description 😂 i'm cowardly.  I put the title of the book in my  wish christmas list!

ps: For the moment, the Chtulu stories i love so much!

ah fair enough.  yay for wish lists! :D 

5 hours ago, SomeRandomCorviknight said:

nearly done the last hunger games book :V

That one was rough. Great book, but Collins made some really frustrating choices! Fun fact, this is also where my very first tattoo came from

i'm currently reading A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers - i'm almost done, too! :D  (then back to more Sandman)

i'm currently reading Several People are Typing by Calvin Kasulke.  it's written like everyone's chatting on Slack, which is kinda like Discord.  the main character got.... stuck in the app and his body is actually comatose in his apartment :o

Will be starting to read ''Wheel of Time: Eye of Time 1'' by Robert Jordan and also purchased ''Wheel of time 2 The Great Hunt'' from same author.

Just to get started with :)

On 12/17/2021 at 8:52 PM, trystan said:

i'm currently reading Several People are Typing by Calvin Kasulke.  it's written like everyone's chatting on Slack, which is kinda like Discord.  the main character got.... stuck in the app and his body is actually comatose in his apartment :o

I almost got that for my partner for Christmas - they used to spend a ridiculous amount of their time modding a Slack community that was wonderful sometimes but eventually imploded.  I thought it might be too real, though.  Is it good?

I'm currently reading From Blood and Ash by Jennifer Armentrout, which is kind of fun but also I want to yell at her editor for how many times the same words are reused twice within a sentence of each other despite a preponderance of readily available synonyms that could make the prose so much better. I got there by way of liking Sarah J. Maas, who does similar heroine-driven, kinda romantic fantasy stuff considerably better.  

Aforementioned partner and I are reading The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers to each other, too.  It seems like really wholesome, well-realized space opera.

I'm taking a break from Nicole Jarvis' The Lights of Prague because I wanted something I could listen to while knitting and it doesn't have an audiobook version.  It has an interesting concept - lamplighters as monster hunters, traditional slavic vampires who aren't all really monsters, etc - but it drags a bit at the start thanks to well-intentioned but ploddingly-realized love-letter-to-setting stuff.

1 minute ago, Melusina said:

I almost got that for my partner for Christmas - they used to spend a ridiculous amount of their time modding a Slack community that was wonderful sometimes but eventually imploded.  I thought it might be too real, though.  Is it good?

well, i enjoyed it!  then again, i enjoy most of everything i read (and watch) XD 

i'm currently reading the latest Stephanie Plum novel! finally!!

10 minutes ago, trystan said:

well, i enjoyed it!  then again, i enjoy most of everything i read (and watch) XD 

hey, being easy to please is a wonderful thing!  I wish I weren't such a persnickety old grouch sometime, but I think I have been since I was a toddler and it may be genetic or something.  I do love silly action movies, at least.

1 minute ago, Melusina said:

hey, being easy to please is a wonderful thing!  I wish I weren't such a persnickety old grouch sometime, but I think I have been since I was a toddler and it may be genetic or something.  I do love silly action movies, at least.

silly action movies are fun too! :D 

The Forest of Vanishing Stars by Kristin Harmel

Excellent read! WWII in the forests of Poland.

Also WWII related, a documentary called Harbor From the Holocaust about Jews who went to Shanghai as refugees. Also excellent!

I just reread The Dangerous Gift by Tui T. Sutherland for like the millionth time and I am currently reading The House of Hades by Rick Riordan. It's for fun, I read the a few years ago and found em' in my ancient bookshelf lol

@Lagie interesting I'm from Shanghai

9 hours ago, Shadowsearcher said:

Tui T. Sutherland

i read the Warriors series! :D 

i've just started Overture, the final installment in the Sandman series.  it takes place even before Sandman #1, but it was written after all of Sandman, so you don't want to read it first!

3 minutes ago, Shadowsearcher said:

@trystan Me too! The library just delivered a book from the Warriors series, it's book one of the Power of Three.

oh nice!

i've finished reading the Broken Code series.... i'm waiting for the next series.  i'm surprised they're still writing.... XD 

16 minutes ago, Shadowsearcher said:

@trystan Yas. Indefinte waiting for new books, it sucks... but when the new book comes out it feels so good

completely agree! :D 

Currently reading "The First Sister" by Linden Lewis, "To Sleep in a Sea of Stars" by Christopher Paolini, as well as "Red, White, and Royal Blue" by Casey McQuiston. Getting my Fantasy, Scifi, and romance fiction lists sorted out :p

Last book that I finished was Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. And it was definitely worth all the positive words I had read about it (and more)!

I am reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I am enjoying it. 

I've been reading some Moomin books this spring. The Exploits of Moominpappa, Moominpappa at sea and Moominvalley in November (but Finnish translations). They were all great and I particularly enjoyed The Exploits of Moominpappa, though Moominland Midwinter remains my favourite. ❄️

I read a lot. Usually it's the only way I can get to sleep at night. Right now I'm about halfway through "Three Fates" by Nora Roberts. She's my favorite author. Her books kind of have a little but of every genre in them. I can read them over and over and never get bored.

i'm currently re-reading Rebel Dawn, it's the final book in the Han Solo trilogy.  in this book, Han wins the Millennium Falcon, and the end of the book is when he meets Ben Kenobi and Luke in a bar in Mos Eisley.....