Jump to content
ScarMay

Book you're currently reading?

Recommended Posts

I am reading Den of Wolves By Juliet Marillier, its the third novel in the Blackthorn and Grim series. I've been enjoying it so far, I'm glad i found a fantasy series that I like!

Share this post


Link to post

I finished reading Crooked Kingdom, the sequel to Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. It was certainly a fun and entertaining read, especially for a book that was outside my normal taste for reading!

Share this post


Link to post

I finally picked up the Poetry of Robert Frost the other day. Within the first five poems he has already used a structure that I haven't seen before which is absolutely fascinating. 

Share this post


Link to post

I started reading George Orwell's Animal Farm today. 

Share this post


Link to post

I started Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng yesterday and I'm really enjoying it so far! I've been meaning to read it for so long but it hasn't been in my local library yet, but now my friend got a subscription to a e-book app and gave me one of the codes so I can finally read it!

Share this post


Link to post

Just finished the Realm of the Elderlings series by Robin Hobb. 16 books in about 4 months. What a ride that was. I feel empty inside ;-;

 

Gonna be reading The Lady of the Lake by Andrzej Sapkowski next, which I think? is one of the last books in the Witcher series. I like the books, plot, and characters, but I'm slowly starting to dislike the author more as a person as I find out more about him >.>

Share this post


Link to post

I just finished Jane Eyre. I have to say it didn't become one of my favourites but I'm still happy to have learned the story of that classic.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Skellybones said:

Just finished the Realm of the Elderlings series by Robin Hobb. 16 books in about 4 months. What a ride that was. I feel empty inside ;-;

 

My favorite series! ❤️ Or at least firmly in my top-however-many. I think you mean 13 books though? Even with The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince and The Inheritance there are only 15 books total that touch the Realm of the Elderlings. Unless they are divided differently in other countries (but if I'm missing a book somewhere I'd love to know about it!).

To contribute to the thread... I just finished Frankenstein, which was a good bit different from what I expected, based on all the references I've seen to it over the years. I guess all the pop-culture Frankenstein things are based on one of the early movies, rather than the book. I enjoyed it though, I'd recommend it if you like sci-fi and horror. As a bonus, it's short so it makes for a quick read.

Now I'm back to Stephen King, reading Doctor Sleep.

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, GhostMouse said:

 

My favorite series! ❤️ Or at least firmly in my top-however-many. I think you mean 13 books though? Even with The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince and The Inheritance there are only 15 books total that touch the Realm of the Elderlings. Unless they are divided differently in other countries (but if I'm missing a book somewhere I'd love to know about it!).

 

Not including The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince or The Inheritance I have 16 from the series? You've got the 3 from the Farseer Trilogy (Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest), 3 from the Liveship Traders (Ship of Magic, The Mad Ship, Ship of Destiny), 3 from the Tawny Man (Fools Errand, The Golden Fool, Fool's Fate), 4 from the Rain Wild Chronicles (Dragon Keeper, Dragon Haven, City of Dragons, Blood of Dragons), and finally 3 from the Fitz and the Fool (Fool's Assassin, Fool's Quest, Assassin's Fate). I've got them all in English, maybe you're missing one of the trilogies? o.o although I am very curious now whether they are divided differently!

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Skellybones said:

 

Not including The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince or The Inheritance I have 16 from the series? You've got the 3 from the Farseer Trilogy (Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest), 3 from the Liveship Traders (Ship of Magic, The Mad Ship, Ship of Destiny), 3 from the Tawny Man (Fools Errand, The Golden Fool, Fool's Fate), 4 from the Rain Wild Chronicles (Dragon Keeper, Dragon Haven, City of Dragons, Blood of Dragons), and finally 3 from the Fitz and the Fool (Fool's Assassin, Fool's Quest, Assassin's Fate). I've got them all in English, maybe you're missing one of the trilogies? o.o although I am very curious now whether they are divided differently!


Whoops, I think I forgot about Liveship somehow. You're totally right. For some reason I was remembering it as 3 trilogies and a quartet, but of course it's 4 trilogies and a quartet. I don't know what I was thinking!

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/8/2019 at 1:55 PM, Kakaru_of_DOOM said:

I finally picked up the Poetry of Robert Frost the other day. Within the first five poems he has already used a structure that I haven't seen before which is absolutely fascinating. 

 

I love Frost! He's arguably one of my favorite poets. Awesome to see others reading his work here, too.

 

I've been really busy, but I've picked up To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. Hopefully I can get some time to read it, but finals are coming up, so we'll see how that goes.

Share this post


Link to post

Has anyone read "They Both Die at the End"? If you haven't already, it's a really good book :) Just, obviously, sad.

Share this post


Link to post

I just started Alex Haley's Roots. A re-read, but it's been at least ten years since the last time I picked it up.

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

Finally, finally finished Black Powder War and am reading Closer to the Chest by Mercedes Lackey. Should fly through it.

 

ETA: And I did, and just finished Hunter by Mercedes Lackey. It was excellent. On to book 2, the follow-up to Hunter, Elite.

Edited by purpledragonclaw

Share this post


Link to post

I am currently reading The Priory of the Orange Tree, by Samantha Shannon.

Share this post


Link to post

Finished The Priory of the Orange Tree and am now reading Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher, the first book the Codex Alera.

Share this post


Link to post

Right now I'm on Just One Look by Harlan Coben one of my favourite authors

Share this post


Link to post

I've just started re-reading Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. It's been over ten years since I first read it, and since she's releasing a sequel next month I figured now would be the time to refresh my memory!

Share this post


Link to post

Starting Apex by Mercedes Lackey, the final novel in her Hunter series.

Share this post


Link to post

Been re-reading The Fellowship of the Ring since the anniversary of its publication.

Share this post


Link to post

"Reseminnen" by Gustaf Beskows. Which is one of my oldest books in my collection, and really mostly is about his journey through Europe in mid 1850s. I really love reading old texts in Swedish, it's almost like reading an entirely different language since the grammar and spelling has changed so much over the past 150 years. I seriously can't even get the hang of the grammar in these old books of mine, so instead I just gather beautiful expressions and words that I can re-use while I write my own stories (since I have a rather old-ish-inspired way to write my Swedish stories. People usually deem my style of writing as "heavy" to read, because I write in such an old manner that people today have a hard time grasping unless they are like me and are used to reading old books).

 

"Så renoverar du gamla torp och gårdar" by Ove Hidemark, Elisabet Stavenow-Hidemark, Göran Söderström and Axel Unnerbäck. Since I'm moving to a very old house soon, I've felt a need to learn more in details exactly how they built the buildings here in Sweden after the Middle Ages and how to best preserve them and renovate them in the styles they once used. It's a really great book and I've loved all the details they've put into the book. And of course also really enjoyed the history frames of when each different type of building was built. Hilariously enough the type of house that I've bought isn't even in the book because it wasn't a very widely spread type of house back in the days - so really there's barely 50 left of those kind of houses here in Sweden.

 

 

And I've on and off been reading "Gardens of the Moon" by Steven Erikson and the first book in "A Song of Ice and Fire" - better late than never.

Share this post


Link to post

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.