ScarMay

Book you're currently reading?

Re-reading Dust of Dreams by Steven Erikson, so I can bring myself to red The Crippled God. I always have a hard time finishing series, ESPECIALLY if I like them. It can often take me a long time to bring myself to read/watch the season/series finale.

I can't wait for Walk in Shadow to come out. I have already read the first two of the Kharkanas Trilogy.

Currently reading A Thousand Splendid Suns. Found it lying around the house, it's pretty sad so far. I've only read about 50 pages of the full 350-ish.

Päevaseiskaja (or the English Title "The Man Who Made The Sun Stand Still"), a book of Estonian short stories/fairytales and folklore retold and written by Kristiina Ehin. I found the book in a small secondhand shop in Tartu when I returned home to Estonia last summer, since then It's been everywhere I go - and now that I'm back in the UK ( had to move back here a month or so ago, due to reasons .-. ) It's nice to be able to read when missing home, because despite the fact I've lived in both Estonia, Finland, Germany, and the UK, Estonia is where I was born, where the family members I love are, and it's home. happy.gif

I finished Spelled by Betsy Schock last night.

It was... interesting. Not in a good way though.

The MC was insufferable and I really hated the first half of the book. Thinking back on it now, the only character I liked and probably the reason I continued plowing through the story was the love interest. He felt like the only decent, competent and grounded character.

I'm also in the process of reading an annotated version of The Wizard of Oz and a translated version of The Nutcracker illustrated by Maurice Sendak.

Edited by Daydreamer09

I'm gonna start The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks tonight actually. It seems like a Ranger's Apprentice type story (and hopefully Weeks is as good a writer as Flanagan!). I'm looking forward to it, especially cause it cost me two bucks at a book resale store wink.gif

Update: The first four chapters are really solid. If this continues, its gonna be a great find!

Edited by SoulFox

Manga

I just started reading my Finnish copies of Magic Knight Rayearth. I've been avoiding CLAMP franchises like the plague since I dislike their art style - I also saw a few episodes of the English-dubbed anime back in 2000. I can't remember much, only that I went "...Why do their eyes take half of their face...?". Let's just say... the art is growing on me this time. The eyes still look huge, but at least the men and adult women seem more normal.

Book

I bought Rick Riordan's "The Sword of Summer" a few months ago. I'm only a few chapters in, but loving it just as much as the Percy Jackson series. I'm probably going to read all myth-based books he writes since I've been a mythology fangirl for as long as I remember. I know a great deal about different mythologies - Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Norse, Celtic, Finnish, Japanese, Hindu, Mesopotamian, Zoroastrian... I love anything dealing with myths and I'm REALLY hoping Riordan does a Celtic myth series next. Preferably with Gwydion and Gilfaethwy in it. ...I just want a reference about their little punishment by Math... :P

Edited by Beldarius

The first five books of the wizard of Oz. Sadly, my eyes get super blurry after reading for about a half hour so I am not reading as quickly as I'd like to.

I JUST finished Dune by Frank Herbert, which I'd been told a zillion times by my friend was a good book. I was not disappointed, except by the realization that the film they made of it whitewashed all the characters because the film industry knows only betrayal DX

Iiiii will probably begin reading the sequels soon.

I just started reading Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden. It's very good so far, I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

I recently finished reading Motorcycles and Sweatgrass by Drew Hayden Taylor. It's an amazing book and I highly recommend it. I'm currently reading The Martian by Andy Weir. So far it's been pretty good.

I have several books going simultaneously at the moment.

Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit

The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne & John Tiffany -- Pleasantly surprised by this one so far, I was afraid it wouldn't live up to (my memory of) the other books.

Lockwood & Co - The Hollow Boy by Jonathan Stroud

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

I'm reading a book online called Runebound by Ronnie but I wish I had a hard copy because most of the time when I want to just read I'm not on my computer. I should go to the library.

I have several books going simultaneously at the moment.

Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit

The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne & John Tiffany -- Pleasantly surprised by this one so far, I was afraid it wouldn't live up to (my memory of) the other books.

Lockwood & Co - The Hollow Boy by Jonathan Stroud

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

What is Men Explain Things to Me about?

What is Men Explain Things to Me about?

It's made up of several feminist essays - I haven't read much more than the first one (with the same title as the book) yet, but it's said to have inspired the term "mansplaining".

I think it's rather interesting, definitely worth a read.

~

Finished up The Hollow Boy last night and just started on the next book in the series. The Creeping Shadow. Too bad the next (last, I believe) book in the series isn't out yet, I've enjoyed this one.

I'm reading Son by Lois Lowry (the last book in the Giver Quartet). I got a hardback with all four for Christmas and am blown away by how amazing they are.

I'm also reading The Picture of Dorien Grey by Oscar Wilde for my classic book club and am actually pleasantly surprised - it's not as boring as I thought it would be, and I really like Wilde's writings style smile.gif

The King's Buccaneer by Raymond E. Feist.

i've got two more of Feists books to read, then i gotta read "a Clash of Kings" by G.R.R. Martin.

I just finished "The Fifth Wave" series.

WOW

Was that a roller coaster!

all of mine are fanfiction but are very very good.

Sing Me To Sleep by MyChemicalRachel is an interesting concept, and if you are interested in mcr or frerard or any of that i do suggest you read. although, the only reason i stopped reading (for now, gonna pick it up later) is because one of the characters ah, um, offed themselves i guess

Just finished Dust of Dreams, so on to The Crippled God.

I'm currently reading two books, both Warhammer and both about Skaven! They are Vermintide by Bruno Lee and Grey Seer by C.L. Werner! I love Skaven quite a lot!

I've (unfortunately) just finished a wonderful series called the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, which consists of the books: Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, and Inheritance. Now I've moved on to a cute little series called The Land of Stories. I really recommend The Inheritance Cycle!

Even though I'm far older than the intended age group, I've read all of the currently released Wings of Fire books. I'm also reading The Distance Between Us for a class.

I'm currently re-reading Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson, and I'm in the middle of re-listening to the audiobook of Furiously Happy, also by Jenny Lawson. I have plans in place to meet her at a book-signing in March, which I'm *very* excited about.