ScarMay

Book you're currently reading?

I just finished Stephen King's short story collection Everything's Eventual. It's one of his "more recent" works (from 2000) and I didn't like it quite as much as I liked Night Shift (from the '70's, I think? His first or second short story collection), but it did have some good ones. The title story and 1408 stand out to me as the best ones of the group.

I'm mixing things up a little and moving on to some true crime next. As soon as my Amazon order gets here tomorrow I'll be starting Michelle McNamara's I'll Be Gone In The Dark and then Ann Rule's The Stranger Beside Me. I'm definitely feeling impatient waiting for them to show up; I hate being in-between books!

The Glass Menagerie. I'm reading it because it's required for school, but it's still pretty interesting.

On 4/11/2018 at 2:14 AM, aqub said:

The Glass Menagerie. I'm reading it because it's required for school, but it's still pretty interesting.

Oh awesome! :D I love Tennessee Williams. I'm teaching 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof' at the moment which is my favourite of his. I'm glad you're enjoying it! 

I finished 'Crimes of the Father' by Tom Keneally which I posted about recently. I've been reading 'The Rosie Project' by Graeme Simsion, a local Australian author. I'm enjoying it so far. It's quirky and a voice I don't see very often in literature, which is refreshing. 

i just finished reading "when breathe becomes air", really good and philosophical!

and now i'm starting "the handmaid's tale" which has been said to be similar to 1984 :)

15 hours ago, Matmetchi said:

i just finished reading "when breathe becomes air", really good and philosophical!

and now i'm starting "the handmaid's tale" which has been said to be similar to 1984 :)

'The Handmaid's Tale' is a great book!

I'm still reading 'The Rosie Project' as mentioned above, but I've since started 'Flappers and Philosophers', a short story collection by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I'm a huge fan of Fitzgerald and we're doing it for book group, so I'm stoked. :D  

I started reading charlie and the chocolate factory. I also picked up Gathering Blue but I haven't finished it yet, even though I've read all the other books in the Giver series

A Lee Child Jack Reacher novel. I love crime fiction and true crime, a lot.

The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater. This is the final book in the series and is rushing to a conclusion, I hope it ties up all the loose ends well.

ETA: Well I devoured that fast. It had some minor inconsistencies towards the end and she left a lot of loose ends (making me wonder if she plans to add to this story later) but overall it was a very good series.

Starting The Hike by Drew Magary.

Edited by purpledragonclaw

I finished 'Flappers and Philosophers' (F. Scott Fitzgerald's short stories) and loved it. :) I'm now rereading 'Heart of Darkness' by Joseph Conrad for the... fifth? time I think. It's a text I've taught for the past couple of years so I'm rereading it again before we start to refresh my memory. ^_^ 

About to start reading "Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" for school. I haven't started it so I can't say if I like it yet but it sounds interesting from what my teacher's mentioned in class.

Way too many to list out. I could list all 28 I borrowed from the library for this week (I will have them all done by next week at maximum), but I’d rather not. I’m quite certain I’ve read about 250 already this year. 

Edited by Whirlaway

I've recently started Karen Joy Fowler's We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves. It's taking me a while to get through it - for some reason, I never feel enthused to pick it up even though when I do start reading I enjoy it.

Kristin Hannah's The Great Alone, Noami Alderman's The Power, and a couple more I will start tomorrow.

I'm still slowly making my way through 'Heart of Darkness' again since I'm annotating pretty extensively, so it takes forever. I'm also reading 'Lolita' by Vladimir Nobokov at the moment. I read it as a teenager, but my book club is studying it next month so I'm rereading it to refresh my memory. 

currently i reading : History of legendary lands and places of italian autor Umberto Eco

is interesting book, speak of  the real's legends whe have inspired the legends of legendary kingdoms and lands. In this book it's presents a informations on the Atlantis, on the island of maga circe (ulisse story) and other legendary location.
Is very interesting.
The autors greek and romans  they were much imaginative.

PS: I hope the message is comprehensible is difficult to write and i not have many conoscence of english language.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling.

After more than a decade since I have first read them, I have decided to reread the entire Harry Potter series. Despite the heart-wrenching events, it has been an awesome reading experience! 

I'm reading "In Defence of Food" by Michael Pollan. It's really great so far in teaching me how our diet is really messed up. The first sentence is "Eat food, not too much, mostly vegetables." Words to live by, man. Words to live by.

Since posting here I finished The Hike, read Under the Net by Iris Murdoch, and absolutely devoured Ember Rising by S.D. Smith. Starting In the Company of Others by Julie E. Czerneda.

Edited by purpledragonclaw

Just finished reading the Mercy Thompson (10 books) / Alpha and Omega (5 books) book series + an anthology book by Patricia Briggs, they're all set in the same universe and tie into each other. This is my third time reading some of them, I'm impatiently waiting for March next year which is hopefully when 11th Mercy book will come out. The last A & O book just came out and she's rumoured to have a book starring a couple of side characters coming out before the Mercy book, since I really like those side characters in their couple of appearances, I'm also impatiently waiting for that book. 

I'm trying to decide what to read now, of those series that have stuff coming out, its still not out, so trying to figure out if I want to re-read them and then be even more impatiently waiting for the next books!

I decided to continue Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes and also finished it today. It was definitely an intense and thoroughly disturbing ride but I did enjoy it - intense stories are really immersive.

Finished The Way of Kings and moving on to Words of Radiance

The Brazilians by Joseph A. Page. It's rather outdated at this point, but still a fascinating look at the origin of Brazilian culture.

The Sword of Destiny by Andrzej Sapkowski (also know as one of the Witcher books). Really good, enjoying it a lot! Good lore and not over the top action or anything, there's a good amount of character development and conversations. 

Also reading a comic - Fable vol 3 which is great, nice art and really interesting and witty story, which does still have depth.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. 

A friend recommended this book to me early this year and it was finally the next one on my reading queue. Prior to reading the book, I watched a short TED-Ed video about it as well and I grew even more curious about it. I am currently just in the fourth chapter but I think that I like it so far.