ScarMay

Book you're currently reading?

Just finished Book of Dust by Philip Pullman and I really really liked it! Feels good to be pulled back to the the world of my childhood!

Has anyone read the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson? Or anything by him? He’s my favorite author, I love all his books and after I finish this one I’ll have read them all. I’m looking for other similar books or authors who write similar to him! 

By the way the book is Oathbringer that I’m reading

@Mak0 Have you read anything by Joe Abercrombie? Or Scott Lynch? I haven't read Brandon Sanderson myself so I can't say how similar they are, but they might be worth checking out :)

Myself, I've been reading Katherine Arden's The Bear and the Nightingale, which is both different and better than what I expected!

I just bought Artemis by Andy Weir because I love the Martian a ton and I started it last night. 

I recently finished six of crows  and crooked kingdom and would recommend them without a doubt 

@HeDy daemons are my ultimate fave world. I remember being enamoured with it for aaaaages. I haven't been able to get ahold of dust yet though :(

On 1/19/2018 at 2:01 PM, CCPhoenix said:

I just bought Artemis by Andy Weir because I love the Martian a ton and I started it last night. 

I recently finished six of crows  and crooked kingdom and would recommend them without a doubt 

Ok but I just finished Six of Crows and am in love with the series. Kaz is such a complex character. I'm in the middle of Crooked Kingdom right now actually.

Forgot to post, I finished Aerie by Mercedes Lackey, which was the last book in the Dragon Jousters series. I didn't care for it towards the end, and can't recommend the series, a shame since I love her works. I started the Raven Cycle series by Maggie Stiefvater and finished the first book, The Raven Boys. I'm on the second book, The Dream Thieves.

I should really consider the 250 Book Challenge.

I'm reading two manga series at the moment. I'm halfway done with Tokyopop's release of B'tX (a scifi series by Masami Kurumada) and with Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion (dog manga by Yoshihiro Takahashi). I'm really excited since March's Orion release will be volume 17 and a new character called Andy will be introduced in it. That dog makes me proud as a Finnish fangirl - you see, Takahashi created that entire dog as a tribute to his Finnish fandom. Andy is Finnish, and named after Antti Valkama (the CEO of the Finnish publisher releasing Orion).. Andy is also the nephew of a very popular character called John. ...Which means Takahashi retconned John into a Finnish character as an extra tribute. How many foreign fandoms can say that? 8D

Edited by Beldarius

A Memory of Light, the 14th and final volume in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I will be starting it tomorrow and have really been looking forward to it. I am so excited to read the conclusion of the story! I've had a lot of work to do, but got a bit of a break now and want to treat myself.

@Mak0 re your question about Brandon Sanderson - He authored the final three books in the Wheel of Time series (based on the late Robert Jordan's plot and notes, after his mid-series death). I've read two of those so far. I didn't think I would like an author change in the middle of a series, but Sanderson has done a fantastic job. I like his work so much that when I am done with the Wheel of Time, I plan to seek out other books written by Sanderson. Highly recommend!

Edited by Tecca

@Tecca You’ll have to let me know when you start a series of his! The Stormlight Archives by him is my all time favorite series. It starts out slow but that’s because he’s introducing you to this whole other world full of it’s own religions, civilizations, lore, and creatures. It’s absolutely phenomenal! 

Yes, I have heard The Stormlight Archives is fantastic! Supposedly Sanderson has 10 books planned in the series, which is wonderful. But, I hesitate to begin another series that is not yet completed. After waiting impatiently all this time for A Song of Ice and Fire to finish (I began reading in 2003, and 15 years later Martin is distracted with TV show fame and no release date for book 6 in sight, while I boil with frustration awaiting The Winds of Winter and trying so hard to avoid spoilers for the upcoming books that may be appearing on A Game of Thrones)... well, I am not anxious to repeat the experience. :unsure: I'd rather start a series that is complete, or mostly completed.

I definitely want to read The Stormlight Archives (and Mistborn, too) someday. But maybe I will start with Sanderson's Warbreaker, which is a standalone novel I have heard is good, or maybe Elantis (two books in the series). Have you read any of those?

I've just started 'The Boat Runner' by Devin Murphy for one of my book clubs. It's apparently quite similar to 'All the Light We Cannot See' by Anthony Doerr, which I haven't actually read yet but is on my shelf. I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm only a couple of chapters in. 

The books I've enjoyed most out of the others I've read so far this year are:

• 'In The Country of Men' (Hisham Matar)
  • 'North and South' (Elizabeth Gaskell) 
  • 'The Sound of Things Falling' (Juan Gabriel Vásquez
  • 'Travels with My Aunt' (Graham Greene) 
  • 'The Passion' (Jeanette Winterton)
  • 'The Anchoress' (Robyn Caldwallader)
  • 'The Baron in the Trees' (Italo Calvino)

Let me know if you've read any of these and what you thought! I really enjoyed them. Or if you've read them and have some other recommendations for me, hit me up. ^_^

I just finished The Tiger and The Wolf, which is a really interesting high fantasy book about animal shapeshifters. Apparently it's a series, so I've got the second book on order. In the meantime, I've picked up Todd Lockwood's first book of the Evertide series, The Summer Dragon. I'm enjoying it so far! Lots of interesting stuff happening and neat ideas. It's giving me a lot of inspiration for my own dragon riding novel. :D 

I also recently finished Stephen King's 2017 release, Sleeping Beauties. It was a collab effort with his son Owen King. The idea of the book was cool, but the actual execution of it was a bit lacking imo. It's not very exciting. The characters are cool though. 

Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater, the third book in the series.

@hazeh I have The Summer Dragon, but I haven't read it yet. Please post your review once you complete it!

@hazeh I got Sleeping Beauties for Christmas but haven't gotten to it yet. I haven't read anything by Owen King so I'm curious to see what his style brings to it. 

I think the last thing I posted about reading was Cujo? Since then I read 'Salem's Lot, The Shining, Different Seasons (a collection of four novellas, including the ones Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me were based on), and now I'm almost done with Night Shift (a short story collection including Children of the Corn and Trucks [Maximum Overdrive]).

@Tecca I read Warbreaker years ago and wasn't impressed. I also read the Mistborn trilogy and I didn't care for it either. It could be that his writing just isn't for me, I find his prose sort of stiff and lacking, and I really have trouble relating to worlds where everyone is sort of washed in Mormon values, even the bad guys. Those are also two of his earlier works and he may have improved since then (I know a lot of people love the Stormlight Archives), and Mistborn becomes more palatable if you think of it as a YA novel while reading (nothing wrong with YA, but I expect different things from it).

The one thing I can say for Sanderson is that I don't think there is anything to fear about him not finishing the series. He is a writing machine, and I believe I've also heard that he employs ghost writers to speed up the process. I prefer to wait for a series to be complete before I start it (I'm waiting on Winds of Winter, Doors of Stone, and the next Locke Lamora book, so I'm not looking to add any incomplete series to that list), but there are some authors I would trust enough to start an incomplete series and he's one of them, along with Mark Lawrence and Robin Hobb, both of whom I highly recommend.

I'm currently reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood and I'm really enjoying it. The writing paints a good picture of the ways of the dystopian society and the idea itself feels really fitting for current mindsets. I've been meaning to read more "classics" and older literature, and this one definitely seems to have aged well. 

On 3/22/2018 at 1:04 PM, purpledragonclaw said:

Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater, the third book in the series.

@hazeh I have The Summer Dragon, but I haven't read it yet. Please post your review once you complete it!

I finished it on Friday. I think it's a good book, but I wasn't expecting it to be a YA book and it definitely is. I really enjoyed his ideas though for how dragon riding works and dragon behavior. The story gets intense, but left me wanting a little more explanation about antagonists. Or at least the main one, because the actual overarcing plotline isn't very clear at all. I know it's a series so it'll go on for a while, but the book is a little small and I really don't like waiting for a while other book to come out, especially when I still have so many questions!!

Edited by hazeh

I'm currently reading The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis and The Red Queen by Isobelle Carmody. I'm enjoying both of them immensely though The Red Queen is a bit hard to carry around being 1120 pages. I just finished reading the second book in the Magisterium series by Cassandra Clare and Holly Black, but I didn't enjoy it and am not sure if I will continue with the series.

Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler

Dianna Wynne Jones' Howl's Moving Castle is one of my all-time favourite books, but somehow I had been completely unaware until recently that it has sequels! So, having reread the first one (any excuse :P), I finished Castle in the Air, which was also great, a few days ago and have just started House of Many Ways, which thus far isn't proving as good, but I'm hopeful that it'll improve if I stick with it.

"A thousand and one night" and "To live with pain"

When it comes to manga I've caught up with Kuroshitsuji and Owari no Seraph

On 25/03/2018 at 8:37 PM, hedy said:

I'm currently reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood and I'm really enjoying it. The writing paints a good picture of the ways of the dystopian society and the idea itself feels really fitting for current mindsets. I've been meaning to read more "classics" and older literature, and this one definitely seems to have aged well. 

Great book! I'm glad you're enjoying it. :) Margaret Atwood is an incredible author. I've got a whole bunch of her other books sitting on my bookshelf that I haven't quite got around to reading yet.

I'm currently reading 'Crimes of the Father' by Tom Keneally. It's very good. I recently finished 'The Boat Runner' by Devin Murphy which I enjoyed enough, but wasn't all that impressed by. The Keneally book is great so far, though. He's a very good writer. 

Too many to list out, to be honest.

Truth aside, I have been enjoying mysteries and crime novels a lot lately, and really find the true crime non-fiction books very interesting also. Also, I always like picking up one of my old horse racing books and reading those again.