ScarMay

Book you're currently reading?

Staring at The Drawing of the Three while I read The Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. I love Stephen King but I just...can't manage it? Which sounds awful. :|

The Supreme Macaroni Company by Adriana Trigiani

I'm still waiting for the title company to appear and I'm halfway through!

I'm rereading the Inkheart Series. Those books are awesome!

The First King of Shannarah. Trying to get past chapter 5. It's a bit slow moving at this point, but I've endured far worse.

I got started with Imprudence by Gail Carriger yesterday. I really loved her series The Parasol Protectorate and ended up feeling rather disappointed by Prudence, the first one in The Custard Protocol. But so far I'm really enjoying its sequel smile.gif

I don't remember the last time I cracked open a book, besides the required reading materials for classes.

But I am an avid reader of fanfiction.

Currently, I am reading "Desperate Measure."

It's a Drarry (Draco x Harry) fanfic.

It's actually my 2nd slash story I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying. The author writes them extremely tastefully and I'm just enjoying the plot.

Oh my gosh, that's too funny. Personally I would rather read a good Hermione x Draco fan fic, especially after I just finished reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and that one scene... lol. It renewed my interest.

I am very picky when it comes to reading other people's fanfiction but I myself am writing one for the Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. It's taking me forever to do, but when I finally get it all finished it's going to be epic. I'm pretty much emulating the entire series, basically, except it's after the 6th and final book of the TMI double trilogies, if anyone knows what I'm talking about. If not, sorry... I can ramble.

Just finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Currently reading the Vistorverse series on AO3. It's an Assassin's Creed fanfic smile.gif

I've been reading a lot of japanese graphic novels lately. I'm a huge shoujo nut.

Colette wa Shinu Koto ni Shita

Haru x Kiyo

Mizutama Honey Boy

+a no Tachiichi

Monokuro Shounen Shoujo

Akuyaku Cinderella

Boukyaku no Shirushi to Hime

Nekota no Koto ga Ki ni Natte Shikatanai

It seems like a lot, but I've only been reading a chapter at a time here and there.

My most recent favorite is Akuyaku Cinderella. It's a slice of life romance with something of a power rangers backdrop.

Edited by Daydreamer09

Last two things I read were The Cursed Child by She-Who-Owns-My-Soul and Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabakov. Kind of a weird back to back.

Edit: and a ton of fanfiction. Can't forget about that.

Edited by toyofubl

The Book of Three, first book in Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain pentalogy. I only found out recently that my all-time favourite Disney movie is loosely based on the first three books in this series. laugh.gif So I just had to read them.

3 slytherin marauders (a Harry Potter fanfiction)

I just finished that story today so I haven't had time to start reading another story, but I would bet that it would be another HP fanfic

I'm currently reading two books, but not at the same time obviously. The first one is Insomnia by Stephen King and the other is The Light Between Us: Stories from Heaven, Lessons for the Living by Laura Lynne Jackson. It was interesting to realize that both of the books are about seeing auras.

I've read so many books the past few days, guess that's what happens when your really sick and can't really get out of bed...

I re-read "An Ember in the Ashes" by Sabaa Tahir. I got it as an advanced reader's copy 2 years ago, about 4-5 months before the book came out.

I read "The 5th Wave", I tried it once but gave up on it halfway through, but read through it this time without barely putting it down.

And now I'm currently reading "Walk on Earth a Stranger", it's really good! It takes place around the California Gold rush era, and honestly I'm not a fan of books that take place in/around history (even though this is completely fiction, I'm just not familiar with books that take place several hundred/thousand years ago), but I love it so much! It's a great book and I'd really recommend it, totally go look it up!

I'm currently reading three books at the same time. My main book is Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper, which I'm re-reading. The Dark Is Rising Sequence was one of my favourite series as a child, and it makes me sad when I notice how few people in my native country have heard of it. It's such an excellent read: I love the blend of Arthurian legend as well as Norse and Welsh mythology.

I'm also reading the collected poems of Swedish poet Bodil Malmsten, who recently passed away. I've read a novel by her before, but this is my first time reading her poetry. I'm also listening to Espresso Tales by Alexander McCall Smith, which I'm having mixed feelings about. Parts of it are entertaining, others I couldn't care less about.

A Dance with Dragons - George R. R. Martin.

I want to read from first of series but campus library doesn't have all of them.

Normally you'll find me reading Wings of Fire, but atm I'm reading two different books: The Nazi Hunters, and Fullmetal Alchemist book 27 (i think that's the last one)

I just finished The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic. First non-graphic novel I've read in a while.

It was... Ok. Honestly I have a lot of love-hate for it.

Cons:

~It's a ridiculously thick book and took much too long to read through. I can read 300-400 page books in about 12 hours. This took up an entire day.

~The title's a misnomer as it sounds Diary of a Wimpy Kid-ish where the perspective is first person and personal for the main character, but the language is distant, sophisticated and takes place in 3rd person.

~The author doesn't know the difference between a metaphor and a simile and she went to Harvard. I'd smack her if I could.

~Pride and Prejudice gets inserted into the the story. And the main charater snubs it. She's an English major. How can you snub Pride and Prejudice?

Pros:

~Pride and Prejudice is a favorite novel of mine. So to hear it alluded to gets me wistful for my long lost copy of it. I kind of want to rewatch some of the episodes from the 1995 series.

~Reading this took me back to my first time reading Howl's Moving Castle and the fantasy novels I use to read in middle and high school.

Warriors: The New Prophecy, Book 3 Dawn. (Spoilers ahead)

It's alright, I'm not that far into yet, but already there's a bunch of mistakes. I know the author is actually a group of people who work on the series, yet it annoys me that they can't come together to make sure they get their facts straight. For example:

There is a cat in this book named Gorsetail who belongs to WindClan. Now as far as I know there was only one cat with 'Gorse' in its name from the first arc. (the one before this one) and he was an apprentice named Gorsepaw. Now yes, he could have been made into a warrior, but there's a small problem with that. Tigerstar killed him when he had his clan attack WindClan because they refused to join him. He killed that cat in cold blood while his clan was forced to watch. It was also the same cat Firestar had helped carry on a journey when he was just a kit. It's easy to remember him, how do they expect people to believe he just came back from the dead. I doubt StarClan has that kind of power...at least until the next arc where the dead and the living can somehow fight in an epic battle and those who are dead can die again. (I'm sorry, whut. dry.gif )

That's not the only hiccup they've made with the series, but it's been a while since I've read it so I don't really remember most of it. And then people wonder why I stick to the first arc only.

And even then I have a serious bone to pick with that. If it was such a huge deal that the cats fight to keep their forest home then why did they lose it in the very next arc when the forest was destroyed by twolegs?

That makes no sense! mad.gif

The warriors could have banded together and left to find their new home while everyone was healthy and strong instead of starving and weak and made it to the lake. Yet, instead they fought BloodClan, lost some good cats (RIP Whitestorm sad.gif ) and several of their members went missing.

What they should have done was let BloodClan have the forest and then let the twolegs destroy it proving that without the clan cats and StarClan the forest shouldn't exist and their enemies would be the ones suffering.

That makes a lot more sense if you ask me.

Edited by Syiren

I'm in the process of reading the Worm web serial by Wildblow/John McCrae. It's very good, albeit rather long (1.7 million words, roughly 10 regular length novels). I'm on Scarab 25.3 (Arc 25, chapter 3) at the moment of this post. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes the superhero genre and is not bothered by detailed descriptions of nasty things, usually of the body horror type. The main character has bug powers, and is quite "creative" in terms of using them.

Here's a link to the first chapter: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/2011/06/11/1-1/

I'm always super late to the series trains, but I'm just finishing up Eragon (oh the irony...dragons). I'm basically obsessed with it! I can't wait to finish the series. I finally understand why it got so much publicity.

Currently reading Beyond Sleep by Willem Frederik Hermans, or well, I'm reading the original Dutch version: Nooit Meer Slapen. Literally it'd translate to 'Never Sleep Again' but I can see why they called it Beyond Sleep instead.

Just started reading the Welcome to Night Vale novel, and I'll admit, I was a bit sceptical as to how well the unique humour and atmosphere of WtNV would translate into a novel. So far, it's doing really well.