Dragonsoulj

New Video Game Idea

well ,the pic I tried to post is on my desktop, and when I tried the image code, it just had the link and not the pic. I thing the image code is for postinf images that are only on the web.

Yeah, you would need to either upload to Imageshack or Photobucket and then use the URL or they would need to enable uploads.

As for the images, those look pretty awesome.

Edited by Dragonsoulj

So if this project takes flight, will you be working on it, or will outside help be required?

The only outside help I would actually need (outside of any programming issues I run into, I have areas to help me there) would be in art/sound. I can make some stuff or find free resources, but we have a lot of different dragons and if this is going to look halfway decent, then we would need to animate them a bit. I could probably manage with our current sprites if I got permission, but that is a long list to go through. Otherwise, I would have to make brand new sprites that didn't look exactly like the originals (copyright issues).

And what's with the "so if this project takes flight"? Of course it will.

of course it will 'take flight', i just wanted to add a little humor. dragons have wings and they fly, just a sappy joke. im no good at art, tried for years and never got good. never tried sound but don't really know about it. im also pretty sure that there a quite a few people on this site that can help out with cudtom sprites however.

edit: i did a little thinking and decided i'd like to try my hand at pixeling, problem is, i did a little google search and didn't find any google tutorials on the subject.

Edited by Seregir

Spriting is the better term to search. It is used more in reference to what pixeling actually is.

This may help some. They have scratch sprites at the bottom.

Thanx for the link, I'll practice a bit. However, I won't be signing on a lot for a while. The only friend I had died from cancer Tuesday night an I have a lot on my mind.

My condolences. Oh, and if you need something to take your mind off things, drawing could help. Or spriting. Dragon Cave has a thread for it I believe if one of the media areas.

I have definitely had an idea like this lingering around before *is a game programmer and spriter*.

I thought about using DC dragons (where spriter permissions would be an inevitable issue, thus I could never release it to anyone other than myself...) and what they would do. I thought about an RPG fighting game, raising game, atheletics, all that stuff.

And as an FYI, even making new sprites of existing dragons wouldn't work out. Not many artists allow "Fan-art outside of DC".

Personally though, DC is enough for me. I could never dedicate time to something like Tamagotchi.

Edited by Ashywolf

Hello Dragonsoulj, I'm Seregir's brother, Alduin.

When he told me of this I became intriged, I'll follow and give as many ideas as I could think of.

Here's one, how aboyt a pedometer, like in the Poke'Walker that came with Poke'mon Soul Silver and Heart Gold. The more steps you make the more experianced and smarter your dragon becomes, or something like that.

Make a certain number of steps would and you could get special items you could use on your dragons and stuff.

Hello Dragonsoulj, I'm Seregir's brother, Alduin.

When he told me of this I became intriged, I'll follow and give as many ideas as I could think of.

Here's one, how aboyt a pedometer, like in the Poke'Walker that came with Poke'mon Soul Silver and Heart Gold. The more steps you make the more experianced and smarter your dragon becomes, or something like that.

Make a certain number of steps would and you could get special items you could use on your dragons and stuff.

That would be extremely difficult. It's one thing to code something on the internet, and another thing to sync up real-world products.

... You could use geolocation, but it's very easy to hack/cheat with.

The pedometer is only useful if you have a device you can use, such as the Poke Walker, or perhaps using a phone's GPS. The target platform I am thinking about is for the computer.

As for fan-art, you are whole-heartedly allowed to make whatever images you want, but as stated, if the work goes anywhere but to the creator of the fan-art, it can be deemed illegal since it is derivative of the original sprites.

Granted, if we ask permission and mention this is going to be free and a DC pastime game, I don't think they would mind.

A news or updates? Havn't been on for a while, havn't been in the mood to do anything really.

Had a few things occupy my time, so haven't had time to work on it. It is started, though.

A little discussion to start/add, so I hope this double post is okay.

I'm going to set this game up so it is expandable, starting small and working my way up. To avoid the current issue of asking various artists, as well as TJ, for permission to use their IP, this will be brand new content that can be adjusted to fit Dragon Cave dragons and actions later.

To start, I'm going to need a terrain. The ones off of the Dragon Cave homepage will work. Just give your opinion.

Second, pick a color for the first dragon. I'll sprite something up.

Third, I need a few options for how you can interact with the dragon. This is probably going to be replaced later on, particularly if we can use the Dragon Cave system. Then views could potentially work here. So give me some input. Maybe feeding it something? I'd hate to say petting it, but that's one of the few simple interactions I can think of.

I think having the dragon wander around the screen will be a good idea, give it a little life, if that helps with the dragon interaction ideas.

As for progress, I do have a start. Once I get some options, I can put together a little demo.

Edited by Dragonsoulj