MedievalMystic

TJ's April Fool Prank..

Does April Fool feel like unfinished business?   

447 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My reaction after reading:

He came up with it 3 hours before hand?! And he was able to get everything so elaborate that quickly? How-?! 0_o

Now that I think about it, that would explain why he didn't put more effort into the site name...

... T^T *sad to know it is fake*

I was hoping to maybe have a chance to create a whole --ceratops army. Also, if there were designs a little more serious than the red booty dinos, that would also have been nice. Can't believe he joked about dinos. Dinosaurs are serious stuff. Don't mess with them man. Just don't do eet. Just nu. >:T Or dinosaurs will nom you.

In all honesty, I'm neutral about this joke. It was ok. Not in my alleyway of personal humor. I got a bit too excited that TJ may have been serious, but that's more my own fault.

Edited by Daydreamer09

Did you see TJ's post here? Since so many people were so excited and enthused about the idea of a DinoCave, he said we might actually get it! biggrin.gif It'll take a while for him to get it ready, but hey, I'm not going anywhere, and I don't mind the wait!

Hello all,

Dino Cave started off as a prank. Okay. Now go back and read that sentence again. Started off as. It was an amusing idea for a prank I had at 9 pm the night before April Fool's. There is no beta; in fact, there's not even any real code. The registration page is hard-coded to always give an "invalid beta code" error, and the login page will always claim the username doesn't exist.

However, you've probably all seen the proposed game mechanics. And from what I've seen, you like them. In fact, most people seem to enjoy the entire idea of a real "Dino Cave" site. So while I don't have any new site to release to everyone, I'm open to the idea of fun little "spin-offs" of Dragon Cave. Keep in mind that any spin-offs would probably receive a lot less attention than Dragon Cave gets. That's just a fact of life when there's only so much T.J. to go around.

So perhaps in a few months I'll be posting a legitimate big announcement. Stay tuned.

-T.J. Lipscomb

Owner, Dragon Cave

TL;DR: It's not real, but people seemed to like it, so it may become real. Besides, I need to do something with the thousands of rainbow Dino sprites I now have.

This is the resolution that does it for me. Thank you, TJ, for your curious invention, and the courage to attempt to bring it to completion. This now becomes a great part of DC's April Fool legacy. It will be interesting to see the real site, and the idea that there is a "genetic" factor to the color production is really fascinating!

Here's the thing....

I don't have time for another adoptables site. I barely have time for DC.

What I would love?

That color mixing breeding idea really doesn't need its own individual site.

Wouldn't it be better to just have a breed of dragons that breeds new colors that way here? Like stripes on steroids.

That's what I would want most.

Edited by tigerUS

Here's the thing....

What I would love?

Wouldn't it be better to just have a breed of dragons that breeds new colors that way here? Like stripes on steroids.

QFT!

I do like the idea of the color variants but think sticking to one site would be easier and make more people, especially those with limited time, happy.

If the people who registered their email get a badge and the people who didn't don't...well, I'll be left out. I read in the OP of that thread that you had to get an invite to join the beta, so I didn't register my email. Now I'm wondering if I should have. I don't want to miss the badge, if there is one.

I'm happy to learn that 1) it was originally a prank, so there's no more confusion about that, and 2) we were so interested in it it may become real. I appreciate that TJ took our feedback seriously enough to consider making it into a reality if he has the time.

If the people who registered their email get a badge and the people who didn't don't...well, I'll be left out.  I read in the OP of that thread that you had to get an invite to join the beta, so I didn't register my email.  Now I'm wondering if I should have.  I don't want to miss the badge, if there is one.

I don't think that we'll be getting any badges for this 'prank', lol. But Nyastara created one from a post in which she asked for something with '...with cream and cherry on top.' Hence the cherry-topped egg in my siggy... I love it...

The original quote is on page 13 and an image posted by tridymite was posted at the top of page 14. After favorable comments by others, Nyastara then created a couple of codes for two examples of our "badge"...

Thanks to you BOTH, Nyastara and tridymite...

Edited by Husky51

Here's the thing....

What I would love?

+1

Good point! I would love to have the color mixing incorporated into DC itself as opposed to a stand alone site. There really is no need to branch out. Save resources!

Edited by arlymaye

Oh Man!!!

I just noticed that I joined DC WA_A_A_Y back in 2009 on April 2!!! I've been here for three years!!!

hahahahahaha

I've had a lot of fun and some frustrations... (no Silvers and only 1 Golden Wyvern among others) but all in all, between the games, posts, and Dragons, I've pretty much enjoyed it all...

BTW, I'm 65 and still a kid at heart...

Here's the thing....

What I would love?

If I could, I would like this suggestion a thousand times over...

I don't think that we'll be getting any badges for this 'prank', lol. But Nyastara created one from a post in which she asked for something with '...with cream and cherry on top.'  Hence the cherry-topped egg in my siggy...  I love it...

The original quote is on page 13 and an image posted by tridymite was posted at the top of page 14.  After favorable comments by others, Nyastara then created a couple of codes for two examples of our "badge"...

Thanks to you BOTH, Nyastara and tridymite...

You are welcome and I'm glad you like it so much! laugh.gif But I didn't ask for something with cream and a cherry on top. I just wanted to decorate my "pretty please" with a sugary and very delicious frosting. *lol* in fact I wrote:

I would love to get a Dino egg badge! wub.gif Pretty please with cream and cherry on top?

And because of that tridymite made this funny image.

Here's the thing....

What I would love?

This also kind of reminds me of the idea behind the dragon concept of the Equus Dragon.

Edited by Nyastara

I wouldn't devote nearly the amount of time/attention to DinoCave that I do to Dragon Cave. I wouldn't even try to get every color (360+? Sheesh), but it would give me a pleasant little diversion between Dragon Cave releases. I would probably collect a few of each color of each type, and maybe breed a little, but nowhere near the effort I put into Dragon Cave. I think it would be fun, but it wouldn't be another Dragon Cave for me.

I thought this was a funny prank but am not really interested in joining the new site when it becomes real. I'm a little annoyed there was no badge though, that was the only reason I put my e-mail in.

My reaction after reading:

He came up with it 3 hours before hand?! And he was able to get everything so elaborate that quickly? How-?! 0_o

It's just rehashed DC code it looks like. It's possible to do that in that little time if you know what you're doing.

I could see DragC getting that form of breeding one day, for sure. DinoC might be an easy way to smooth out the color mixing breeding, which then could be brought over here. Because I'm sure there are users thinking of new dragon concepts right this moment that include using the color mixing breeding.

I don't see much replay value in DinoCave so, despite the couple of excited posts, I have to wonder if making it a reality would be a smart move. It would need a lot more going for it to get me interested. Otherwise it's just rehashed recolors in redundant amounts.

There are people who would enjoy DinoCave and there are people who wouldn't.

I have to say I wouldn't play, only because I rely on fansites (my time on any online forum generally comes in bursts and I would never be able to sustain my dragons on that), and every time one of my favorites goes down, I struggle.

There are other people who would love another adoptables site and already play several.

To each their own, but I really would have liked a site badge. Unless, of course, TJ's post was part of the ongoing prank and he's still got us roped into it.

It wouldn't be strange that all this is still part of TJ's prank. But a "Dino Cave" site sounds like fun!

In my personal opinion, it was a fun prank. tongue.gif

So, just out of interest... What's the main word on shortening the two site names? I use DiC and DC, but I've seen other variations- is there an 'official' nickname yet?

I also saw the variation DNC and I use DiCa for all images I saved or created concering Dino Cave.

Edited by Nyastara

I think it'll be very cool. I seriously doubt that any game TJ would create would be boring. lol I'm positive that he will make sure that the site is fun and keeps people's interest. smile.gif I just can't see TJ wanting some lame, boring game associated with him! xd.png

Edited by MedievalMystic