maustin89

What do you look for in a girl/boyfriend

That they can take care of themselves - stand on their own two feet in life.

The last bunch of "men" I dated were clearly looking for a mommy and not a partner. Uggh. Not attractive.

First thing I see is their looks. But the most important thing is their personality and whether they can make me laugh a lot. My current boyfriend is shy, so he doesn't talk a lot (so that's good, cuz I probably talk his ear off tongue.gif), but he has a great sense of humor. It's perfect though! It's the same humor as my father.

And you know how the saying is, "You marry your father."

YAY!!! biggrin.gif

Oh jeez. tongue.gif Peeta is so darn overrated, but at least he's better than....some other popular male movie & book heros.

Personally, the main thing to me is that my guy can keep up with me athletically.

Doesn't cheat. Not a drug or alcohol addict. Not abusive. All these qualities in one person is hard enough to find so I don't think I can get pickier about it.

Personality wise... quiet is nice. I like quiet girls. Shy isn't a bad thing for me. Someone who enjoys deep conversations. Artistic. Driven. Honest. She has to put up with all my ridiculous problems and personality quirks.

Ideally, she would also love guns and football, root for the Broncos, have black hair, green eyes, and enjoy cuddling. But those aren't necessities.

Doesn't cheat. Not a drug or alcohol addict. Not abusive. All these qualities in one person is hard enough to find so I don't think I can get pickier about it.

*waves* Hi!

One who's smart and shares many of my interests. Who'd be willing to sit there and watch Entry 1-54 in an all night Marble Hornets marathon with me and ramble on about books and shows to sitting on the roof. Looks aren't as important to me as being clean and smelling nice are.

It's a bit hard for me to pin down what I'd like in a boyfriend, as I'm generally too timid to really flirt or hit on guys I like. Generally by appearances, I like guys who look the same age or are a bit younger. Short hair, few piercings and maybe a beard. And I actually find dorky cute.

Personality wise, I'd like a guy who is gentle and kind. Being practical would be nice so he can ground me back to earth when I'm being unreasonable or lost in the clouds. Honesty is also a valuable trait as well as being open-minded. Around him, I'd have to feel confident in myself. As well, I'd like someone who I would want to become a better person for.

Ideally, we'd share the same religion. He could talk to me in German, tolerant of sports and would be willing to throw a baseball around, plus have a fondness for big dogs. A handsome voice would be nice. Also, it would be awesome if he didn't hate the OSU buckeyes. happy.gif

In a guy, for first impressions he has to have a basic understanding of grooming, regular showers, teeth brushed, etc. I would be dishonest to say attractiveness didn't matter, because it does, but what I personally find attractive isn't the normal poster boy tv commercial attractiveness. I like my guys to be big and tall, sort of rugged looking, ah la casual lumber jack, but it depends on the person.

I am an active, outdoorsy camping/hiking type person, and while my partner doesn't have to love those things, it is a plus if they do enjoy them and can keep up with me. I have friends who I do those with, but it's nice if a guy likes to come too.

I hate 'nice' guys, if the only thing you can offer is that you are not a complete butthead then personally I think that is setting the bar pretty low.

I like guys to be secure with themselves, I am not a therapist, I can't cure your issues with my love. I think partners should support each other through tough times and build each other up, but when one person is always carrying and re assuring the other person, it is a burden I personally get tired of dealing with.

In general I like a partner who I can banter with, joke around with and have fun, but who I can also rely on when the crud hits the fan, and who doesn't come to pieces when things get stressful. I look for a partner that I really click with, who is kind, independent, reliable, fun, straightforward, a great lover, capable, emotionally stable, and respectful.

The more I've dated, the more I've learned what I want from a partner. A bad, dependent annoying relationship is far more stressful then being single, and a good relationship with the right person is worth holding out for.

I'm lucky that I have been with a great guy for 3 years. smile.gif

Edited by SemipermeableMadness

+is also not already taken tongue.gif .

I fulfill those, but I assume you'd also like someone who you sort of kind of agreed with wink.gif

I fulfill those, but I assume you'd also like someone who you sort of kind of agreed with wink.gif

But you have so much more to talk about when you don't agree on anything tongue.gif!

I totally agree! I also frankly don't care about looks or how "sexy" they appear, if someone is willing to like me for who I am, I'm all for it. Similar likes and hobbies are a plus. c:

(I also hate smoking...)

Someone artistic, athletic, hard worker, smart… well I dont care about appearances much (my fancy clothes are jeans and a t-shirt) but he has to be a loving person who would care for me and such. It'd be nice if he were strong, but I dont like bulky, huge unnatural looking muscular people, just the average looking fellow :) someone who just likes to be outside and enjoy life, like my father. I dont like bring too specific, just and artistic, outdoors person. :)

Well, I guess looks do matter to me of course - I must say I might be a lil' 'scared off' (not literally!) by someone who was/is super duper ugly....but other than "no serious deformities/scary-ish stuff" That's pretty much it. Except not too strong-looking, haha! I'd worry about getting snapped in half.

In terms of mind - obviously someone able to carry on an intelligent conversation with me about at least 3 things I know about/am mildly interested in. Similar hobbies are good too!

Intelligence. Awareness of what's happening in the world. Passion about whatever they care about, even if I don't necessarily care about it the same way. A sense of social justice (meaning, they aren't sexist, transphobic, homophobic, racist, or insensitive in any other ways). And of course, a (not offensive) sense of humor is a must. Also, good taste in music/movies/whatnot, or at least open-mindedness about what I like.

Hmm...emotionally stable, not abusive or manipulative or any of those bad things. This might sound bad, but preferably not too depressed, because I would probably absorb some of their sadness as I tend to do, and that just wouldn't be fun. Not clingy, not too codependent - but not a flight risk either. Confidence is extremely attractive to me, even to the point of being a bit narcissistic, so long as they recognize that they just want to feel better about themselves and aren't trying to put down others in the process.

As far as looks go, I honestly can't think of any preference I have for things like eye color or hair color or race. Physical appearance is a definite factor but it comes secondary to the ability to actually have an engaging conversation with the person. I can't pin down any specific physical traits that I like, I'm just attracted to people's appearance as a whole.

Edited by glamoursea2

Well.

Personality wise I like really weird funny people. Not annoying, loud ones, but quiet people that act really strangely sometimes. I like people that can make me laugh. I like people with a certain complexity, though. So not just funny and weird, because after awhile those traits start to annoy me if someone is just joking all the time about everything. I like quiet, artistic, creative people. Like my boyfriend and I used to spend all night recording ourselves playing guitar, or share poems and stories we had written.

I like them to share interests with me, but not be my clone. I like to be able to show them new things that I like, and have them do the same. Like I've shared a lot of music with my boyfriend. A lot. And he has too, and I've gotten into some genres of music and some artists I'd never listened to before because of it. I mostly listen to metal, he listens to punk and psychedelic music from the 70's haha.

Beliefs.... I like them to share some beliefs like moral beliefs and stuff, but again, not be a clone. I think that being a little different in terms of stuff like that would be desirable because it's give sometime to have intelligent conversations about. As long as they're chill and not hostile about it, sometimes a bit of healthy debate is alright and opens you to new ideas I guess. I don't really care about religion as long as no one tries to convert me.

Appearance. I mostly like guys of the short and skinny variety because I'm short and skinny and I don't like feeling small. My boyfriend's 5'5" and I'm 5'0". We are short. I like guys with long-ish hair, don't really care about color but prefer it to be dark brownish. Nice facial structure helps. Dressed nicely. I hate it when people wear certain clothes (v-necks, wifebeaters, sandals, basketball shorts, shorts with high socks and those ugly flip flop sandal things, brightly colored clothes, ugh) and I don't think I'd like to date someone that wears ugly clothes. I know it's shallow haha, but I mentally associate people that dress like that with a certain personality type for some reason. Hygiene helps, but if someone has greasy hair or bad skin or something I won't blame them for it.

That's it really.

Someone sane. And God help them if they're possessive or a control freak. That won't last a day with me. At the first sign of that crap, I'm gone.

Edited by MedievalMystic

Oh dear. I will run out of adjectives if I were to explain personality-wise.

Actually, I'll still run out of adjectives in describing physical appearance too. I suppose it's really a lot of things blended in harmony in a fine mixture.

Maybe I'd find some photos to give out ideas on what I think as attractive in terms of physical aspect.

I'm the pickiest person ever.

Basically you have to be a boy version of myself for me to like you that way.

It's a struggle.

I'll be an old cat lady >_< but i like cats so thats okay.

Well this would be in the future for me because i am young but few things is

1. Believes in Christ

2. loves me for who i am

3. is willing to go to church

4. caring

5. will look out for me

I posted this on another forum asking pretty much the same question:

I am first attracted by someone's personality, really, and whether I find them physically attractive seems to be at least in part influenced by this: I tend to find them more physically attractive if I like their personality.

So, as far as personality, I tend to enjoy being around outgoing people, as it balances out my own introversion/quietness. I also find intelligence quite attractive. I'd want someone who shares my own nerdy interests, of course - but it would be nice too if, as a video I saw the other day described it, they're also different enough to keep things interesting. I'd certainly prefer them to have the same religious and political views as me (Catholic and conservative, for the record), but even if they don't, as long as they genuinely respect how much my beliefs mean to me, it's not a deal-breaker. They have to have the same general sort of sense of humor too; it's really annoying when someone's humor is very misaligned with mine (i.e. What they find funny, I find irritating or just plain dumb/unfunny). Overall, I'm basically looking for a decent person that can put up with any quirks of mine and who I'm really comfortable with.

As far as turn-offs, I don't like when people insist on getting physical too fast, and I can't stand drugs/smoking. Alcohol's ok, I enjoy a good drink myself, but drugs and smoking, no thanks.