maustin89

What do you look for in a girl/boyfriend

This wa always a question at my older sister's bible study that I went to when they played a game called the hot seat.

I am married, but I think and this may seem gross, he needs to smell pleasant. I am not talking deodorant or fragrances, but if he takes off a shirt and it smells of his specific scent and it is appealing he's a match. I also like a guy who is a non smoker, fun, down to earth and has similar tastes to myself. I was lucky. I got my husband and I knew I liked him as soon as a shirt wafted past me and I stole it and nested on it for weeks...

I suppose I would not go for a guy who smelled right and was a total jerk, but I think that scent needs to be appealing for a lasting relationship. I do have a sensitive sense of smell.

Hmm... Physically the only thing I can think of is I get uncomfortable around people that are super-skinny, but that's more my mental issues talking then an actual preference.

I definitely need to be with someone who's a little laid-back. Not serious and strict all the time. Funny is a plus, or at least able to put up with my quirky sense of humor. One of the biggest things I look for in a partner is, I guess, a mixture of things that can be summed up as "gets my mental issues". Patient, understanding, doesn't put me down or trivialize my problems, etc. And honest. Honesty is big. I'll forgive pretty much anything if you just tell me upfront.

I am married, but I think and this may seem gross, he needs to smell pleasant. I am not talking deodorant or fragrances, but if he takes off a shirt and it smells of his specific scent and it is appealing he's a match.  I also like a guy who is a non smoker, fun, down to earth and has similar tastes to myself. I was lucky. I got my husband and I knew I liked him as soon as a shirt wafted past me and I stole it and nested on it for weeks...

I suppose I would not go for a guy who smelled right and was a total jerk, but I think that scent needs to be appealing for a lasting relationship. I do have a sensitive sense of smell.

Oh gosh yes this. I've even noticed that I'm not as close with some of my FRIENDS if they have an awful natural body scent. It's not like anyone's scent is inherently bad, it depends on your own scent and weird stuff about compatibility. XD And there's nothing wrong with said friends, I just don't like being around them because to me, they smell weird.

There were some guys I thought were handsome, but they smelled awful in one way or another, either by having just a natural odor that wasn't appealing, being *smothered* in cologne, or not wearing any kind of deodorant.

I'm SO glad my boyfriend smells nice. XD He doesn't have a very strong scent and even his armpits are bearable because he showers often and wears good deodorant. :Y I like wearing his shirts because they always smell nice. :'D

And yeah, I can't freaking stand the smell of any kind of smoke unless it's a barbecue >.> and incense I guess.~

-----

As for me, I do think personality is a huge thing. I can find someone attractive just based on their personality. They do become more appealing if they're funny, kind, caring, etc. It's a bonus when they're physically attractive as well as having a great personality, which is what I think my boyfriend is. He's very handsome and has a great voice. I love it when he sings <3

I guess I could break it down like this:

Personality:

-funny. That's a big thing. They've got to at least share my humor if nothing else

-laidback, calm, and patient. I can be rather hotheaded so I'd like for them to not be in order to counter it!

-caring and considerate. Not into jerks of any sex or gender.

Appearance:

-I'm actually fairly lenient on body weight. I don't mind moderately overweight people at all. Those that are very much so are usually a case by case basis on whether I find them attractive or not :Y

-for guys, I like some facial hair. Clean is fine, long beards not so much

-taller than me. Actually my boyfriend is only just barely taller than me. I just don't want to look down on someone. Then again I might be okay with shorter girls but whatevs.

-don't care about skin color so whatevs :D I think I'm biased towards liking fairer skin just because I have it. my current bf is extremely white. XD

Smell:

All of the everything above!

-Non-smokers

-no one who practically bathes in cologne/perfume

-wears deodorant and possibly LIGHT cologne/perfume

-brushes teeth AND tongue at least semi-regularly

-natural body odor not stinking to me.

Hygiene:

-I like those who shower at least every other day

-brushes teeth semi-regularly. once or more a day is ideal

-wears deodorant

-washes hands regularly

-wears fairly clean clothes. That is, nothing super sweaty or covered in lots of stains (unless it's covered from stuff like paint or oil stains because jobs/hobbies because that's different!)

-keeps their living area fairly clean. At least a clear path from bed to door, geez. Some clutter is fine. After all, I totally don't keep my room pristine!

(for the sake of people being possibly grossed out, I put the next part in white)

-keeps their...uh...groin area clean. Let's face it, I'm not doing ANYTHING sexual with someone if they smell like rotting fish. :| I wash at least twice because I'm absolutely terrified of possibly smelling.

Sound:

-ew I hate whiny/nasally voices. I'm sorry if anyone reading this is of the group, but I don't like the girls that talk all like...uh...

-I don't mind light or sort of medium snoring. Loud obnoxious stuff would probably keep me awake. :c

Other (bonus stuff that isn't necessary but is always nice):

-preferably similar beliefs. I actually don't really care if they're of a different religion or political party, so long as we don't get into lots of arguments!

-long hair, preferably wavy/curly. This goes for guys and gals and everyone in between. :3

-sings well

-writes well

-possibly draws well but I feel like that might be somewhat detrimental to my self-esteem XD

-physically attractive aside from having a great personality

-loves videogames. I just can't even if you don't share at least one of my hobbies

-likes MLP. At the very least doesn't care one way or the other.

-likes Pokemon. This is my LIFE. I collect cards, I play the games to death, I know all about it. Sadly my current bf isn't really into it but oh well, at least he likes MLP and is a huge videogame nerd. XD

ummm I think that's about all. o3o

ew I hate whiny/nasally voices. I'm sorry if anyone reading this is of the group...

Well, I do have nasally voice, so er...

I did try different things to change how my voice sound, all to no abail. This was the one I mentioned long ago in the Support thread (maybe it's still there) that people find my voice annoying. Moving on, I can't change it. And, I would appreciate it if people just accept that.

For obvious reasons, I don't sing. I sing solo and on my own.

( smile.gif It's alright, no offense taken, dear.)

...Firstly, I'm a shallow person that can't manage something if someone is significantly overweight >_<

Other than that, looks don't matter (though I'm slightly less comfortable around blondes for some reason)

I'd also like them to be shorter than me, though that's not happening right now >_>

As for personality, needs to be someone reserved. And they need to be willing to put up with my personality

Beyond that, I don't actively look for anything. I just see what happens and go

Though I do have a bit of a pink hair fetish dry.gif

Someone that I can rant to and not be ignored or just be told "Mhmm"..

Someone that is open for anything physical, like a huggle..

Someone that helps me through my life when I need it most, and I can help them back when they need it too..

Someone that is pretty random, that way everyday will be a surprise..

Someone that enjoys doing activites with me, such as going on a walk or playing some games..

Someone who I can fight with over useless things that don't matter much, so we can have healthy debates to practice speaking to others..

Someone I feel like I can really open up to and talk about things I wouldn't even discuss with my mother..

Someone that can understand me..

Someone I can love, and get love back..

Someone that isn't black and is at least average, sorry, looks do kinda matter for me, not that much, but I wouldn't date someone that is fat and ugly, no offense. And I'm not really attracted to anyone black either, so sorry about that as well... v///v

*strokes chin*

Perhaps someone who was a sense of humour. One that doesn't take offense easily.

Humour, confidence, a little kinky.

I like a person with a sense of humour. Liking animals is an absolute must, and I can't emphasize this enough. That means but just the usual cuddly ones. Reptiles, arthropods, and rodents are all fair game for my quirky collection of critters. He or she needs to have goals in life and actively work toward them. I admire ambition.

*strokes chin*

Perhaps someone who was a sense of humour. One that doesn't take offense easily.

How dare you! I take offense to that!

*Scuttles off, cackling merrily*

one that keeps his promises and one that is honest 100% of teh time. one that has a heart for the Lord and one who will stick by no matter what. One that respects your opinions.

How dare you! I take offense to that!

*Scuttles off, cackling merrily*

dry.gif I apologise

Not really looking for a certain requirement but if they are met then nice but if not, then that's fine too. I believe we can work things out. I'm not sure if I want someone who is similar to me. I believe that might spark out certain competition. Although it varies from person to person. For example, if I'm a writer, and she is a writer, we might be competing of who writes better. Then again, it might be a mutual relationship of helping each other. Love is about mutual relationship where both (or more in cases of other love like familial love) nurture each other's growth.

Someone who is there to support you always. This doesn't mean they agree with your opinions, just that they believe and want you to express your own opinions.

When I day dream the guy is over 6 feet, not too big, full head of hair, a ready friendly smile, drive to succeed, but not driven. Able and willing to express himself on his emotions and tell me nicely when I do something to irritate him. Like to hold and cuddle me, not feel not stop talking is needed, nor bring the guys over all the time. Willing to help out whether it's "Guys" work or not.

He needs to be able to show me he loves me.

It may sound a bit superficial, but I have to be physically attracted to the guy first. smile.gif

But that, of course, can't be enough. We have to click in such a way for our relationship to grow into mutual love and respect, making each other laugh and just getting along, just having a nice relationship together. Not ideal because it isn't possible, but as honest and sincere as it can be. wub.gif

Well, my boyfriend is pretty much everything that I want. He's funny, smart and considerate, but he's also independent and secure. Plus he looks good and we are really physically attracted to each other. But the most important thing is that guy needs to make me laugh, and he does that a lot.

Of course, everyone has downsides and for example I'm a lot more emotional and sensitive than he is. But I think we need those differences to love each other.

And I didn't know this but if guy plays video games it's a huge plus :-D

Anyways, we've been together for 1,5 years and I love him a lot. wub.gif

The sad thing is that I don't believe in love anymore, so don't really cared about honesty or long term relationships. But sometimes I accept relationships beyond friendship, if opportunity presents itself. Yet unfortunately I'm unnecessarily picky at friends. They must be knowledgeable at certain fields and with rich emotions and imaginations. They must have their own minds, have their own clear viewpoints or perceptions about certain things, yet still open to all the very different possibilities (like at least accept my flaws and diseases). We must share some of our values but still have different point of views. Although I can't get along with people that has a healthy mind. Such a pity.

Like my friends their appearances don't matter (beer bellies are cute). Their gender don't matter. Everything external dosen't matter to me.

Edited by ishlia

I am actually a bit picky when it comes to looking for a partner.

I do somewhat care about looks, I do not mean to sound offensive, but big people dose not appeal to me, no matter how charming their personality might be :/

I like a charming smile, sweet laugh and the ability to sweep my legs away from underneath me and blow me away, not in the sense of burying me in presents or affection, but more like not being afraid to take the first step. Small signs of affection is something that really strikes home with me, just those very small things like kissing me on the cheek, hugging me randomly, holding my hand or giving me something that might be small, but still have a meaning to it.

I have a boyfriend and I love him, I woudn't trade him away for anything or anyone. we have 'only' been together for about 6 months, but I hope we can go longer than that.

He is just so much I like in another person; smart, funny, down to earth, positive, honest, open and easy-going. We never really have had any fights yet because both of us are very easy-going and we forgive each other very easily and talk about if to solve our problems. Which is something I like in a person too. I do not like aggresive, outgoing and dominant persons all that much.

Overall a guy with a sweet smile, down-to-earth, careing and knows how to make me laugh happy.gif

Looks wise:

long hair, preferably curly

freckles

blue or green eyes

very tall

guys with at least some facial hair

very pale skin

nice body

overall cute face

Personality wise:

similar humor

kind

likes video games, reading, or watching cartoons

honest

not annoying or excessively loud

With guys I'm a lot more picky with the looks and need almost all of them to find them attractive.

With girls it doesn't really matter as much just like one or two of the looks stuff is good.

For both I need all the personality stuff though.

I had two lists of thing I was looking for when I was younger. One list was a non-negotiable, the other was a list of preferences. On the non-negotiable list were things like, 'He has to have a close relationship with God', 'He has to be non-abusive', 'He has to have a sense of humor'. On the Preference list were things like 'Tall, dark and handsome, cooks, cleans, etc.'

If a man didn't fit the qualifications on the first list, I didn't even bother going out with him. He wasn't going to make a good husband, and I refused to date anyone I wouldn't consider for marriage. After all, that's the whole purpose in dating, right? Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of guys that I liked, and some even tried to ask me out, but because they didn't fit the qualifications on the first list, we remained friends. I'm glad I did it that way, because we're still friends to this day. There's not awkward relationship baggage from years past making things uncomfortable.

My sister always told me I was being too picky, and that I would never find anyone who would measure up to my ideals. I told her that I wasn't going to waste my time and my life on anyone who didn't fit the first list.

Jump ahead half a lifetime. I found the guy. He wasn't tall, dark and handsome, but he does cook and clean. And he fits everything on the first list. Every. Single. Thing.

We've been VERY happily married for over 11 years now. People still think we're newly-weds.

So if I can encourage all you young ladies out there, DON'T SETTLE for less than what you deserve. Set your sights high, and don't waste your time on men who don't measure up. You'll save yourself a TON of rides on the emotional rollercoaster of relationships, of hook-ups and break-ups and all the rest. And you'll still have many of those guys as friends later on in life. You'll thank yourself for it later. You deserve the best, and it's wonderful to not be tied down when the best comes around.

I got lucky in that my Boyfriend is exactly what I was looking for.

I hate to say it, but I'm pretty picky and a little shallow. I wanted looks and intellect, and someone who didn't treat me like crap. He's tall, lean, looks like a frick'n underwear model <3 He's funny, we share many common interests, and he's so smart. Honestly, I don't know how I got so lucky.

Basically, someone I know I can trust. That's the big part.

On the side though, I deff gotta like how they look and they have to put up with me and my weirdness. smile.gif That's all...real simple.

It would be nice to have some independance. I take offense when someone tells me I cant pay for dinner, or go somewhere alone because Im just a girl. This is North America in the 21st Century.... It would be nice to have someone who isnt stingy, overly jealous, and treats me like an equal.