Quasismiles

Safety Blanket books?

Alright! Do you have a book that you read when you're frightened, bored, annoyed, or just want to get away from life for a while? One that you've read numerous times and never get tired of reading?

If I had to give an example, I usually read The Illiad when I'm not busy, or The Dark is Rising. smile.gif They always get my mind off life.

What about you guys?

poptartFINALTINY.gifpoptartFINALTINY.gifalot.pngalot.pngvelociraptor.pngvelociraptor.pngninja.gifninja.gif

Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series.

Those Wee Free Men would brighten the darkest day!

I mostly return to fantasy series, but it varies from month to month. This month it's Percy Jackson.

Anne McCaffrey's The Lady or Dragonsong or Crystal Singer or Stitch in Snow or um, yeah... pretty much anything by Anne McCaffrey! xd.png

Also, Annie on My Mind or Nora and Liz, both by Nancy Garden.

For me it's Bruce Coville, or Mercedes Lackey's "The Silver Gryphon"...

...or Warriors. xd.png I loved them so much as a kid, and they can still suck me in. <3

I've started re-reading the first Hunger Games book, and that seems to comfort me whenever I need it. I'm thinking that'll be my go-to book~

Other than that, I love reading the first six books in the Warriors series; I started reading them at a really good time in my life and a lot has changed for me since then, so they help to bring me back to those happy times in my life. <3

Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series.

Those Wee Free Men would brighten the darkest day!

Yes, they do xd.png

But I probably read Skulduggery pleasant the most, 3 times already biggrin.gif I only read them for the first time last year O.o

And I wouldn't call them safe, they are rather Gory

When I don't know what to read when I've finished a book or series I start re-reading Harry Potter. I used to get them for Christmas so every year, I started in the first book and then read them all until I finished the newest book by the end of the vacation. So, I've read the first book like 15 times and the last only 5 xd.png They're books I'll still read when I'm 60 and my grandchildren are also reading them.

I read the Redwall books by Brian Jacques when I don't know what else to read. I also fall back on Watership Down by Richard Adams and a book called The First Part Last by Angela Johnson.

Ummm... Harry Potter would be on my list, if I actually had a copy of my own...

Other than that, I'm really drawn towards books about people with a special needs family member, since I can relate to that.

So B. It by Sarah Weeks I've read so many times I've lost count, and my summer's not complete unless I've read 'Rules' at least once.

Oh, and Divergent has just been re-read for the 6th time or something now... And that book just got published last summer.

This one book I always borrow from my local library, called " Cat People". I read it whenever I'm down or angry. It's very calming and I love the book beyond all words.

Also the wordless book, " The Arrival" a very relaxing, slightly depressing, book.

Almost forgot - Bartimeus Trilogy. And A Song Of Ice And Fire is becoming one.

Hara-Kiri by Jack Seward. It's just a short reference book. I've read that book a million times, but I always love it. <3

Edited by Zovesta

Harry Potter, usually. Or, I go in my brother's room and find some little kid book like Magic Tree House or something and read that.

I also reread the Hunger Games. biggrin.gif

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis is probably my top choice. That book just has everything. No matter what mood I'm in, I can read that and enjoy it thoroughly. Also on my list: Bellweather, by Connie Willis; Chalice, by Robin McKinley; Sunshine, by Robin McKinley, and Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

The books I've read and reread the most are probably The Voyage of the Dawn Treader from the Narnia series and The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (part of her series about Gen.) I read the first one more when I was younger, so much so that I almost had it memorized at one time. The other I've started in the past year.

I've read them over and over not only because I enjoy the story, but because there are aspects about them that I don't (or didn't) completely understand and I wished to comprehend the hidden meanings and the feelings of the characters.

I read ghostgirl all the time! I find it funny and cute

I mostly read series, so if I'm really bored and/or left waiting for the next book in one, I'll reread a different series that is fully/mostly complete. smile.gif The ones I think I've read the most are Percy Jackson (and Heroes of Olympus, too! <3), The Hunger Games, and Harry Potter, and, I'll admit, I liked rereading the Twilight Saga in high school, but have since outgrown it. smile.gif I've also recently reread (and re-reread) the first two Divergent books and the Wicked Lovely series.

Kinda weird... but now that I have my own copy, I keep coming back to The Picture of Dorian Gray. xd.png

The Beguilers by Kate Thompson, The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan, pretty much anything by Terry Pratchett or Diana Wynne Jones.

Dragons bait by Vivian Vande Velde

I checked it out over a dozen times from the school library, then I found out my younger sister had checked it out when I came home after boot camp. Not going to lie, I took the book with me when I shipped out.

I still have it, years later, I still like to read it. It's like a close friend, even though i can damn near recite it by heart.

I listen to Scott Sigler's podcasts of his books over and over and over again. I know some of the books by heart now and can still listen forever. I'll read them, too, but I really like listening to them because they're good background music that I can work too because I know them so can focus over them.

I also love Jurassic Park and The Lost World (if you've only watched the movies, you're missing out!). Like listed by many here, I've read HP and Hunger Games many times over as well.

If I'd been able to bring my Inkheart series books with me, I'd love reading them again when I need to refocus.

I have a feeling if I had any Circle series books by Tamora Pierce, I'd read them over and over again. Years later, and those still resonate with me. <3

I really love to reread Warriors, and sometimes I'll reread the Inkheart trilogy or the Redwall books.