sailing101

The Time Travelers' Guild

Matthew dropped to the ground, all tension released from his body. He struggled to move his arms to lever himself up. He felt like a limp rag doll after that event, without bones or muscles. Finally, he was able to push his upper body up enough to give Freya a nod of gratitude. "Thank... you. Freya." he said with difficulty. He took a few deep breaths before trying anything else, then pulled his sword from the ground. "I'm fine. Aside from... injuries I inflicted upon myself." He grimaced and finally shifted his leg from the painfully twisted position it was in. Pulling his pant leg up, he revealed the shallow cut on his calf. It was bleeding, but it didn't look serious. He glanced over to the gryphon, then tried to stand, intent on going to it.

((sorry for not replying sooner, portal 2's perpetual testing initiative is just too fun!))

The shadow wraith had only been weakened by Freya's assault. It quickly began to reasons controll, while whispering to Matthew, No, you belong to usss, you ssshal make usss ssstronGAH!

The wraith had been inturupted by a stave being driven into the ground through the heart of Matthew's shadow. The sun glyph on it's tail began to glow bright red.

"A shadow wraith is a class ten possession spirit," Liz explained, "even if it's essence is shredded, it will still manifest in this plane if it has a host."

She drove another stave into the ground. "We need to construct a dissposetion nexus if you are to.." Liz trailed off, looking at the gryphon. Her meaning was clear.

"The sunstake will buy us some time, at best." she concluded. Liz then pressed a button on her watch, and thirteen more staves were dispensed from the slot on her watch. Liz then looked over to the group of rookies.

"Would any of you like to help?" she asked cheerfully.

The clockwork Barrled after Nathian, reducing the trees in it's path to matchwood. When it caught up with the clockwork hunter, it showed no sign of slowing down.

Edited by sailing101

This was it. What he did within the next five seconds would mean the difference between life and death. It was a good sign that the clockwork was not slowing down, meaning his plan would likely work. As soon as it got close enough, Nathan dove to the side, allowing the clockwork a clear path towards pluging itself off the cliff towards its death/

“’S what I’m here for,” Freya said, smiling slightly at Matthew, before turning her attention to Liz, and internally noting what she did for further reference. She leaned toward her bow and using it for support, looked around at the people there. A sharp intake of breath could be heard as she Nathan dive away from the clockwork. Freya straightened up, but as she saw Nathan hadn’t fallen off the cliff and that the clockwork was gone, she relaxed a little.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lucia nodded, and turned to watch what the guild members were doing. It was interesting; very different from she was used to. Adrenaline was pumping, and already was she secretly beginning to look forward to the day she’d be the one fighting. One of the guild members, Liz, if Lucia remembered correctly, turned and asked her and her fellow rookie a question.

“I’ll help,” Lucia volunteered, “Though I don’t know exactly how helpful I’ll actually be, considering the fact, it’s, you know, my first time out.”

Matthew gave the gryphon a respectful nod then collapsed onto his side, deciding to conserve his energy. He couldn't spare the amount it would take to hold himself up. He struggled with his raising hand for a moment, and was able to overcome the secondary control. He forced it to the ground and clutched a handful of grass. "I'm glad you have experience with this kind of thing... I haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about. My mind's all kind of fuzzy." He made a mental note to read up on shadow wraiths. He chastised himself on his lack of knowledge on spirits and the like. Just because he was a monster hunter, that didn't mean he wouldn't be dealing with them once and a while.

He slowly felt the urge to stand, and it got stronger with each second. Deciding not to panic, he gathered his thoughts together and tried to come up with a reasonable question as he suppressed the feeling. "Are there any lasting effects from coming in contact with these kind of things?" Good, sensible question. Don't panic, Liz knows what she's doing. Soon, I'll be rid of this parasite. He ran the recent events over in his mind, strengthening his resolve and holding the despair at bay. He closed his eyes and waited for Liz to tell him what needed to be done.

----

Emily stood and nodded to Liz. "Yes, I would." She made her way over, then stood next to both the ghost hunter and the downed monster hunter. "Please, tell me what to do." She looked back to Matthew, who looked absolutely drained. Laying on his side with his eyes closed, breathing shallowly without visible movement, he seemed as if he could be dead. But no, he couldn't be dead. He spoke just a moment ago... He'd be all right.

Edited by Silver_Voices

((Since Sailor hasn't posted in awhile...))

The clockwork rolled by him... right over the cliff face. It began to change its form, but it was too late. The jagged spikes at the bottom pierced its body, causing most of the gears to break and shatter. It wouldn't be getting up again...

Nathan panted heavily as he moved closer to the cliff face, peering down. All he could see was the broken body of a bronze clockwork. With a smile on his face, he got up and proceeded to walk to the woods again. Finding his way back was easy enough, the clockwork made a noticeable trail to follow. When he got to the clear, he noticed that everyone was gathered around the gryphon and Matthew. He gave everyone a thumbs up as he lifted the box into the air. "Mission completed, Clockwork is destroy and the box is secure." He said, still panting. He sat down on the grass to recover his breath.

((I have no excuse this time blink.gif ))

"Thanks everyone," Liz said. She then turned to Matthew, "If we can detach it from you before it takes your shadow, then you'll be fine," she said.

Liz began instructing the others where to place the staves for the nexus. Soon they had constructed a five- pointed star around Matthew. Liz then turned to Chell, "Please, bring the gryphon here."

Meanwhile in the Guild.... a young woman unpacked some of the things she had in her pockets. Her name was Lyra, and having just been erased from the whole of existence, her eyes were still puffy from the crying. Her goggles were perched atop her head, they looked very used. With burn marks and scratches galore, she looked out of place in this pristine room. Lyra took a deep breath after unpacking all the gears and items in her pockets. They had given her this pocketwatch which she had placed on the desk as well, but the gears were far away from it. It was definitely out of the question to even think about opening it to see how it worked. But still... it was temping to pry it open and see the gears and how they worked.

She sighed and pocketed it instead, deciding to wander around and get her bearings. The place was huge. And she was to use a... what was it called again? Elevator! Right. This place was going to get easy to understand... someday. But for now she just had to find the elevator and make a mental map of where to be. Seemed like everyone knew exactly what they were there for. Lyra just felt lucky-ish to even be here among such people.

But... the man had mentioned Dad was time traveler. Would he forget about her too? Just like everyone else? Or would she be her Father's little girl again? She used to remember when he brought home bit and pieces of parts for a week. But then... he vanished. Lyra cried for a week, but she got over it. Just like she would get over this shell shock of the Time Traveler's Guild. So beautiful, but so full of danger and new things.

The girl walked down the hallway of the Time Traveler's guild with her absent-minded twin brother lagging just behind her. He was always staring at his divining watch to see if he can make out what was being shown to him. "Somethings about to happen Zoey." He muttered which made his sister turn around and look at him. "Your always saying stuff like that but it hardly ever happens. Plus this is like all the other times, you say that but you don't know what's going to happen or when it will happen." Zoey scolded her brother as she continued to head toward the training room where she could hone her skills with her sword. Zane just shrugged at his sister's comment and continued to stare at his wristwatch to see if he could get a clearer picture, if only he had an expert watch he would've been able to see a clearer picture.

When the siblings arrived at the training area, Zane went to sit in a chair over by the wall as he liked to stay in shape but he also didn't like training like his sister did. He planned on leaving the monster hunting to his sister while he read the time line and tried to decipher it. Zoey didn't mind Zane's distance from reality as long as it didn't get him into trouble, as for her she wanted to become stronger so that she could beat anything that threated her or her brother. She called her sword out of the wristwatch and stood in a ready stance with her victorian era rapier at the ready. It resembled the rapier used by people from her era of history and also used by her father the previous time traveler from their family.

Lyra waited on the elevator. Was it here yet? That was when she noticed two buttons next to the door of the mechanical transport device, one pointing up, and one pointing down. Lyra waited as the elevator eventually arrived at the bottom. It seemed most, if not all the agents were out today. Lyra had been looking forward to seeing older agents and talking with them. Lyra played with the watch's chain in her pocket.

Which of course made her mind drift to opening the watch, but she again shoved it out of her mind. Her mindless wandering had apparently taken her to some kind of training area. Figuring that it would be best to see how older members interacted on the battlefield.

Zoey had just finished running through the paces of using her sword and glanced over at her brother who seemed to be engrossed in his watch. She sometimes wished he wasn't so distracted that he would have time to spare with her, so that she could actually practice her sword work against someone else for a change. She than noticed someone she hadn't seen before enter the training room and wondered if she knew anything about the sword. "Hi there, I've never seen you before or you've just never been on this level of the guild tower before." She said to the new person while her sword disappeared from her hand.

Zane had on and off watched his sister train with her sword while he continued to monitor his watch for new images. When the new person walked into the room the divining hand of his watch pointed at her for a second before returning to spinning in a continuous circle. Zane raised an eye brow at this action but didn't question it as this wasn't the first time his watch as pointed to a specific person without any reason that he knew about and just stayed silent as Zoey approached the new comer to the training room.

"A... little of both actually. I've just turned fifteen in my time." What was she going to say to the girl other than the plain simple statement?

'Oh hey nice sword and by the way this day has sucked thus far.' No, that was out. Besides, that boy's watch's hand had just pointed at her. Maybe it just reacts to people who enter rooms? Who knows? But where did that sword the girl was holding come from? The metal work was gorgeous! Not that Lyra had any hope of even trying to copy any sort of work like that, she just knew good craftsmanship when she saw it.

Zoey smiled at the younger girl standing in from of her. "Thanks for the compliment. And don't worry you'll get used to the Guild, even though there are some real weirdos in this place. That my brother for example." She said with a gesture over to blonde haired boy sitting against the opposite wall. When Zane heard what Zoey had said he looked up and stuck his tongue out at her before being engrossed in the quick images that flashed off the crystal embedded within his watch to help enhance his divination skills. "Would you like to learn how to use a sword?" Zoey asked the girl after she had stuck her tongue out at her twin brother in response to his.

"Yes, I figure, I might be a Clockwork fighter... so I'll need all the help I can get. W-with fighting anyway.." She fumbled for the words.

Weridos? That was an understatement! Everyone she had been told, had powers. Hyperspeed, robo-scanning, you name it they got it. But... that also raised another question. What was her power? She quickly derailed that train of thought when she thought she saw a boy with orange eyes flash in the twin boy's watch.

Who was that?

"Well if your going to be a clockwork fighter you most certainly will need to learn how to use a sword for when you reach the rank of advanced." Zoey said before making her rapier appear in her hand again. "What era do you come from? That might help determine what kind of sword type you would use in battle." She explained as he gestured with her own sword. "I am from the nineteenth century where this kind of sword was popular with people. I was also trained by my father with this kind of sword before I turned 15 so I was already familiar with how it was used." She told the younger girl that was standing in front of her and than realized she didn't even know her name yet. "Where are my manners. I never introduced myself. My name is Zoey and the quiet one on the corner over there is my brother Zane. What is you name if I may ask?"

"L-lyra. I'm about the same time I guess. I-I was never very good at the date, barely the century. Ironic for a time-traveler..." Suddenly, Lyra really, really wished she could tinker upstairs in her room.

So much to take on all at once. Was it really that smart of her to take on lessons for this girl too? Wouldn't Lyra get hurt practicing with real swords? But, instead of panicking, she tried to remain calm. What kind of sword would best fit her? There was... why didn't she listen when the two blacksmiths told her the different sword types?!

I'm going to die the first time I leave this place. I stand no chance against a level one clockwork... Lyra thought pitifully.

"Well it's nice to meet someone from the same era as myself. It makes me fill more at home in this place known as the 'Time Travelers' Guild'." Zoey said to Lyra as she looked at her sword before making it disappear into her watch again. "I didn't mean we were going to practice with real swords, there are practice swords over there." She said and pointed at a stack of wooden swords. "You look nervous don't worry, we should stick together since we are from the same time period." Zoey said with a smile before giving a glaring look at Zane. "I agree whole-heartily with what my sister is saying but you might not want to rely on both of us in a fight, just her. I'm a diviner so I can only see the future and the past, I'm not much of a fighter." Zane said before becoming engrossed in his watch again.

"But, why not? You cannot interfere with bad things unless you fight them." Lyra said to Zane.

Lyra grabbed a practice sword, relieved to not have to worry about missing limbs and the like. But, she thought about how she had never known this girl, Zoey, before. Same time era, but... Lyra had to wonder what her mother was doing right now without her daughter.

After much thought, she decided on partying with nobles and left it at that. It was better not to think about it, and to put it out of her mind. Dwelling on it would not lead to tinkering with robots, nor would it lead to getting her old life back.

"I'm ready to lose." And even as bad as this day had been, Lyra smiled.

Zane looked over at Lyra with a smile on his face. "Well I don't have to fight the bad things I see because that's what my sister the monster hunter is for. And don't worry about Zoey, secretly she isn't very good at the sword." Zoey shot him a glare before picking up a practice sword of her own and throwing it at Zane who barely ducked under the sword. "Watch it, you could have hit me." "Well that was the point of me throwing a sword at you." Zoey told him before picking up another sword and smiling at Lyra. "That's not the attitude of someone who wants to win. Come on now, perk up." She told the girl before standing in a fighting position that was commonly used with a rapier where the sword was help out in front with one hand ready to deflect an attack.

The sword balances to the right, try to aim low, then high to hit more often. Minor lessons -passing by a class everyday- had paid off.

"I'll perk up when I win... I guess." Lyra smiled.

I need to let her move first, unless that is what she's waiting for, then I should fake attack. But what if I get hit then... I shouldn't over think this. Lyra charged weapon flailing around like an amateur, fully expecting to fail horribly.