sailing101

The Time Travelers' Guild

Chel did her best to hide her anger at Matthew's insolent comment, but couldn't prevent a venomous glare from shooting his way. "Maybe," she replied curtly, then stared at the doors, waiting silently for them to open.

Matthew smirked a little at Chel's anger. She just needed to learn to take a joke. But she was pretty entertaining when she was angry. The doors opened and Matthew stepped out the car, then looked back into the elevator at Emily who was still standing in the corner. "Hey, you coming?"

Emily shrugged and stepped out after him. She carefully slid past Chel and hopped after Matthew. "You're Matthew, right? What's it like to be a monster hunter?"

Matthew glanced down at her, a little surprised she knew his name. "Yeah... It's pretty interesting." He stared at her for a moment, then turned back to the front. "I think you'll end up a Ghosthunter or something."

He walked ahead and joined Nathan, Freya, and Liz at the screen. "Hey guys, Janus. What's going on with the Gryphon?"

Emily walked up behind the group but hung back, not sure where she fit in.

Chel snorted and walked up behind Emily, pushing lightly on her back. "Come on kid- you keep hanging back here and you'll be relegated to Diviner or something equally silly. Stick with me and we'll make you a Monster Hunter or a Clockwork Fighter. Something useful." Taking a Rookie uder her wing was highly unusual for Rachel, but the girl showed promise. "Granted, Ghosthunters are better than Diviners, but they fight the invisible. The thing can easily sneak up on them. Anyways, you'll learn nothing by hanging back. Just jump in there- that's what I do." Flashing a rare smile, the Monster Hunter stepped forward to listen to Liz and the others.

Emily was thrilled. Was Chel offering to help her? Emily nodded eagerly. "O-okay. That sounds great." She wanted to be a Monster Hunter. Or a Clockwork Fighter. It seemed exciting. "So, just jump in there, right?" She muttered. She walked up to Chel and squeezed between the people in the group, trying to get a good look at the screen. Being short had it's disadvantages...

Edited by Silver_Voices

((At this point, I am forced to wait for Saikachan to reply. I want this to move on soon, and I'd rather not have anyone fall behind.))

((I'm sorry for taking a little long... We're in the middle of testing period, so I'm a little busy.))

"Aw, damn. Now I'm late, too..." Cursing her own messy room, August jogged quickly towards the elevator. It wasn't her fault, was it? Well, it was, but... How was she supposed to know that one of her unfinished inventions only needed a small, accidental push to suddenly become finished and start to move? It wasn't as if she even had a clear idea in mind of what it was when she started it. Scowling, she thought of the mess it had made. Now she'd probably need to clean everything into its proper mess, too... And she'd lost that blasted set screw again!

Arriving at the elevator she pushed the button, grateful when the doors opened quickly. At least something wasn't conspiring against her getting to the first year in the 19th century, thank the Gods. Even if it seemed like the actual trip back in the years took forever. Drumming her fingers impatiently on her right leg, she kept glancing up at the numbers showing which year she was in. Why did it have to take so long? If it hadn't been for the fact that she knew the stairs would have taken so much longer, she'd probably feel more comfortable running at neck-breaking speed down them.

Sighing in relief when the numbers finally showed the proper year and the doors opened, she exited the elevator quickly. Hopefully no one had actually realized that she was late yet... Walking at a brisk pace, she approached the Grand Atrium, spotting the other mentioned guildmembers, along with a couple of rookies who had come to watch. Scanning the small crowd she quickly found Nathan, the other Clockwork Fighter, and with a slight smile she walked up to him. "So... What's going on?"

Nathan was lost in thought until Elyse showed up, asking him what was going on. Nathan shook his head slightly as he motioned his hand to the image of the bronze sphere with trumpets. "Its a class two clockwork. But some of our ghosthunter friends managed to find runes on the body of the clockwork. So its likely it was created by a unique variation of a class twelve clockwork. Either way, I don't know for certain how those runes will affect the clockwork." Explained Nathan as he pulled out a notebook and began to sketch the clockwork, it would be a rough sketch until later on tonight. "So Ely... I mean August" began Nathan, before he stutter a bit, remember from one slightly painful encounter that she didn't like being called Elyse within earshot. "What took you so long to get here, if you don't mind me asking?" He asked, putting the back tip of the pencil against his lip, thinking yet again.

Lucia walked out of the elevator, crossing her fingers and silently praying she had gotten off on the right floor. It had said year 1801, and that had been the year mentioned on the announcement. Lucia looked around, her dark pony-tail creating a whip that followed shortly after her movements. Where on earth was the grand atrium?

Lucia began walking, biting her lower lip and feeling thoroughly lost. Come on, the place can’t be that hard to find, can it? Well, with her sense of direction, her own room was hard to find. Finally, Lucia spotted a group of people, all standing around a screen and seemingly discussing something. Groups like these couldn’t be that common, and the area seemed atrium-esque enough. Lucia breathed a sigh of relief and picked up her pace. She placed herself in the outskirts of the group, discreetly craning her neck so she could see over everyone around her and to the image on the screen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Freya nodded at Liz, pursing her lips and thinking. Liz held out her stave, and Freya’s eyes ran up and down it as she searched for runes she recognized. There were a few, but at the same time there were a surprising amount of runes she had never seen before. She opened her mouth to say something, but stopped as an idea hit her. Freya blinked a couple of times, not really paying attention to what Nathan was saying. “There’s a spirit in the clockwork.” Freya said, pointing at the screen.

She tilted her head a little and continued to study the image. She mumbled a little to herself, and began tapping her toes. The hamster, who was still sitting on Freya’s shoe, made an undignified squeal, before running for cover. “But why?” Freya asked the air, not really noticing the whiny tone her voice had. “I mean, clearly not one of us made this, so why does it exist in the first place?”

((The Stave only has one rune on it, while the clockwork's runes are only on the device that it is holding. Finally, the grand atrium is at the center of the building, all rooms open directly into it, and there are no hallways to get lost in.))

"I imagine it was one of her experiments again," Liz guessed. The Ghosthunter gave a disapproving glance at August, then continued. "Gods know that clockworks should not be put back together."

Liz then heard Freya's theory. "There's no way to be sure from looking at a picture," Liz replied, "but yes, from what I see, it looks like the clockwork has a potent nexus."

Well, from what I see, everyone is here," said Janus. The picture on the screen vanished, and was replaced by Janus' flowing script.

Now, Chel and Mathew, the two of you should remember this Gryphon from the last mission the two of you were on together, and it should also remember the two of you. Gryphons are intelligent creatures, and it will hopefully recognize the two who rescued it from poachers. Recently, it has developed an alarmingly drastic personality shift, and become aggressive. Hopefully the two of you will be able to calm it down. As fore the clockwork, it is following the gryphon. Nathan and Elyse are to disable it, but leave the device it is carrying intact. Liz and Freya, your job is twofold: determine if there is something unseen disturbing the gryphon, and analyze the clockwork's device with Nathan and Elyse to try to determine it's function. Are there any questions?

Edited by sailing101

Matthew nodded thoughtfully. So, this was the gryphon he and Chel rescued together. She was particularly unpleasant during that assignment. But Matthew felt a little sorry for her. She was so good at what she did, but still at a beginners level. Probably because of her attitude.

Maybe... He started forming a plan in his head that would work in Chel's favor.

---

Emily glanced at Chel, a little in awe. She saved a Gryphon from poachers? That must have been so exciting. She wanted to see Chel interact with the Gryphon. Remembering her advice, she spoke up. "I have a question. Where should the rookies go? I'd like to watch Chel and Matthew deal with the Gryphon."

Chel nodded, remembering. The Gryphon rescue had been one of the first assingments she and Matthew had ever done together, and he had peen particularly irritating. Granted, she'd had little idea how to handle a terrified adolescent lion-bird at the time, but still.

"So we're saving the Gryphon again, huh?" She turned to Matthew. "I forget, did he ever give us his name? Or do Gryphons even bother with them? It's been awhile since I've had a chance to read up on them."

As Janus was talking about the mission, Nathan payed a bit of attention. He was talking about the Gryphon. Even though it was a fascinating creature, he was more interested in clockworks then living creatures. He placed the notebook and pencil back in his bag when it Janus began to address the clockwork.

"As fore the clockwork, it is following the gryphon. Nathan and Elyse are to disable it, but leave the device it is carrying intact. Liz and Freya, your job is twofold: determine if there is something unseen disturbing the gryphon, and analyze the clockwork's device with Nathan and Elyse to try to determine it's function. Are there any questions?"

Nathan understood that the device the clockwork had was vital, and not to be hard. There was one issue he needed to sort out before entering into the 'battlefield.' "I do have a question Janus" Nathan said, speaking up slightly. "Its about the actual clockwork. How much acceptable damage is allowed on it?" He asked, thinking about his previous missions. In some of them, he was allowed to pretty much destroy the clockwork, while in other missions he had to be careful and disable it without damaging it.

((I edit my posts all the time Robby, its a normal part of roleplaying.))

Edited by Lore_Master

"So we're saving the Gryphon again, huh?" She turned to Matthew. "I forget, did he ever give us his name? Or do Gryphons even bother with them? It's been awhile since I've had a chance to read up on them."

Matthew shook his head absently. "No, I don't think so. At least, I don't remember it if he did." He looked down at her. "So, do you want to take the lead this time? I was thinking I might stay in the background for this one." He tapped his chin with a narrow finger. "Maybe if you just tried talking to him, he might calm down, if only a little." He grinned at a memory. "And try to stay away from his beak this time."

Chel snorted and rubbed her shoulder. She had tried tackling the creature, since it wasn't listening to reason. This had been as much due to a slight language barrier as the poor thing being wounded and frightened. "Alright," she replied, "if you're alright with staying quiet, I'm fine taking the reins. You just watch out for the talons. We don't want him gashing your leg open again," she added with a smirk.

Matthew laughed. "I'll be a ways away from his talons if you're not anywhere near his beak." He paused a moment then asked the screen a question. "We clear to go, Janus?" He was hoping they could set off as soon as possible. The sooner they went, the sooner they'd get the job done. He wanted to get back to his dorm and maybe train before dinner.

Edited by Silver_Voices

Rookies should focus on keeping safe. Janus said in response to Emily's question. Remember, all watches can be used to privately pause time for five seconds, but take five minutes to recharge, so use this ability to keep safe. Janus then turned his attention to Nathan. We only need the device that it is carrying. All other components are negligible. The AI replied.

If that is all then. Liz, Would you care to do the honors?

"Why certainly, Janus" Liz replied with a curtsy. She undid the clasp of the necklace that she wore her key on, and lifted her key purposefully to the gate. Liz then slid the key into the lock, and turned it. There was a soft click, and the doors of the gate opened. A soft breeze from within the gate blew her silver hair back as she redid the clasp of her necklace. On the other side was what looked like an empty space with the timeline just beyond, but Liz knew that looks could be deceiving. Liz took a breath, closed her eyes, walked through the gate....

And dissolved into particles of light.

From her perspective beyond the gate, Liz was standing on a narrow bridge leading to the timeline. She had walked halfway across before looking back to see if anyone was following.

Matthew was right behind Liz. He stepped through the portal and was standing a few feet away from her. He quietly walked after her, keeping the space between them. He noticed her glancing back and copied her motion, looking back to see who has stepped through the doors after him.

---

Emily tried to swallow her nervousness, but she felt like her heart was beating in her throat. She wanted to wait for more people walk through the gate, so she wouldn't be one of the first.

"Anyways, you'll learn nothing by hanging back. Just jump in there- that's what I do."

She took a sharp breath, then, glancing at Chel, took a step towards the gate. She hesitated for a second in front of it before leaping in...

She found herself stumbling onto a bridge with Matthew and Liz walking ahead. She calmed herself and quietly followed.

Nathan didn't show it, but he pictured himself smiling widely. Sure, intact clockworks were fine and dandy... but breaking something invoked that primal part of his brain. He would still take notes, but he was a bit relieved that he could use his ability once more. He watched as a few of the other members disappeared in a burst of light, he was used to it, though he was shocked the first time he witnessed that. He calmly walked towards the gate...

And emerged on a bridge, near Matthew, Liz and Emily. His eyes had a strange, orange tint to them. He couldn't see a flaw with the bridge, for reasons that were not clear to him. Regardless, he moved forward before he stopped, and waited for the others to come.

((I guess Robby chose to quit, huh?))

Chel gave a strained smile and slipped through the gate, feeling reality go... Was fuzzy the proper word? No matter how many times she did this, the feeling of being completley disolved was strange, and a bit unsettling. Watching her fellow Time Travelers become nothing but a scattering of fireflies was much more disturbing though. When she was a roookie on her first mission, one of the older guildmembers had had to shove her through the Gate.

Standing on the bridge behind Nathan, she glanced backwards. Hm. The others sure are taking their sweet time, she thought with a shrug, and focused on Liz and the timeline ahead.

((We have an OOC now! Click the ninja to see --> ninja.gif))

Liz nodded to Mathew before moving on. Though the distance between the Gate of Time and the timeline was only twenty feet as seen from the Grand Atrium, the bridge seemed to stretch much farther. This was because it existed neither in the guild nor the real world, but rather in the space between. As Liz continued along the bridge, her view of the guild grew hazy, then faded into nothingness and stars. The timeline, on the other hand, stretched until it became a pulsing wall as far as the eye could see. Where the bridge met the wall was a door. Again, Liz looked back to make sure everyone had kept up.

"Right behind you," Matthew said as Liz turned again. He examined the door, just the same as before. He looked back and waved to who had trailed behind a little. "Come on, let's try to do this quickly. I need to get back to the dorms before dinner." He felt at ease, interacting with Emily as if he was familiar with her. But he was familiar with her... She just wasn't familiar with him.

---

Emily kicked up the pace when Matthew waved for her to hurry. She reached the gate, looking at the large door. "Wow. What's on the other side of this?" She looked to Liz then Matthew for the answer. She wanted to know what to expect when she stepped out.

Edited by Silver_Voices

Freya nodded, still tapping her toes, and staring at what had until now been the screen showing the clockwork. Freya herself had no questions regarding the mission, so she waited patiently as other questions were answered and Liz opened the gate. Some of the others in the group walked through, and Freya took a quick look around the atrium as she took a couple steps towards the gate. Spotting a new Rookie, Freya smiled at the girl.

“Come on, you won’t see anything if you stay here.” Freya said, trying to be reassuring. Seeing the shocked look the girl was sending the gate, Freya chuckled. “It’s nothing dangerous. It’s rather fun, actually.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lucia’s eyes widened as she watched people disappear through the gate. She blinked a couple of times, trying to decide if her eyes were playing tricks on her, or if this was another thing to ad to her list of wacky experiences. Hearing someone address her, Lucia turned her head to see a brunette girl speaking to her. “Okay…” Lucia said, nodding in reply to the girl’s statements. She smiled at her before walking towards the gate.

Taking a quick calming breath, Lucia stepped through the gate and ended up on a bridge. Turning her head in every possible direction, Lucia hurried along, trying to catch up to the others while seeing as much of wherever she was as possible. As she saw people were waiting, Lucia slowed her pace, and turned around to see if the brunette had followed her. The girl had, and after receiving another smile, Lucia turned back to look at the people ahead of her.

Edited by coralkiki

Chel stepped forward briskly, coming level with Matthew. "What's the hurry," she asked him. "Did you arrange a meeting or something?"

Matthew glanced at Chel and shook his head with a grin. "No. Just stuff I wanted to do." And stuff I needed to think about. "And I wanted to get some training in so I could just hang out after." He looked over Chel's head to see Freya and another rookie walking down the bridge. He glanced at his watch and tsked quietly.