Lord_Kishin

Gay Straight Alliance

Also, can a virgin be bisexual?

Of course. The world is filled with heterosexual virgins, I dunno why you'd have to have sex with someone to find out you're bisexual.

Glad your mother didn't freak out : )

I thought that they hadn't figured out how to make eggs, but that they could create sperm? I haven't done research on this in a year though.

I thought that too but lately there has been a "breakthrough" but such things are being considered "unethical". Maybe things have not been "fine tuned" yet but there has been work on it it seems. I am completely baffled as to how it works though.

I've never used so many quotation marks in so few sentences. What I would like is to see more research on asexuality. I finally came out to the SO which was the hardest thing I have ever done. Also I promised to find information on the subject which I knew wouldn't be much. What was surprising is that there is basically NO research even done. The only thing I could find is that men and women have equal chances of being asexual. There is a general idea that the percent of the human population that is asexual is 1% and it's also been known to exist in animals. And that's it. I found more false information than anything else and complete ignorance. It really irritated me how the general public sees asexuality. People just don't know what it is and prefer to shove it into the imaginary world of bigfoot and Vin Diesel movies that don't suck.

What I have seen is that most asexuals prefer not to "come out" to someone who does not matter. That means less people who know about it, which means the asexuals who don't understand who they are will continue to suffer as I did growing up. Not understanding it IS completely natural (unlike most people will tell you) will only continue to make that person think there is something wrong with them. Also the less everyone knows, the less research is done. I would really like to know why. I'm not sure if this will pass or not but right now I want to know why and how. I think if it could be linked to genetics maybe it will help others understand.

Sorry for the mini rant that probably doesn't fit here.

EDIT: Not finished thinking. I think everyone would benefit if more research was done on sexuality in general. There's a ton of research on the subject but it tends to ignore the "minorities". As people here have shared there is still a lot of ignorance on the subject. Part of me thought the world was getting better with understanding anyone who is different, but there are still tons of people who seem to refuse to acknowledge that homosexuality, bisexuality, and everything in between is completely normal. Some people are just so afraid of the subject it seems.

Edited by Wookieinmashoo

If asexuality were linked to genetics, I just knoooooooow there would be people out there using that as a reason to come up with a 'cure'. I'd just as soon wait until society as a whole is a good bit less skeptical of its very existence to find out there's a genetic component. Less chance of getting a blank look and a "You're not like me? Why, you poor thing! Is there any way to fix you?"

I've told a good few people that I'm asexual. I don't consider it coming out though, since it's not exactly anything that's hidden. Just because they don't know doesn't mean it's in a closet. Mostly it means it's not any of their business. I've told some of my friends because the situation seemed right--one of them is a very openly gay guy, and I was surprised to discover he was also the least vocally understanding until I put what he was saying to me into the common terms that people who get flack from the masses tend to understand. All my friends that know seem to be pretty cool with it. They seem to understand that asexuality doesn't mean I don't find some humans exceedingly beautiful. Or, at least they don't say anything if they don't understand. Seem to roll with it pretty well.

Dunno if that goes any distance in helping the young asexuals of the world realize they aren't alone or not :/

Although I shocked the ever living hell out of my mom the way I told her, since I pretty much assumed she already pretty much knew...I think though, maybe she didn't. I was having a really weird spate of hormone issues which suddenly and inexplicably introduced me to the concept of sexual attraction, which I found extraordinarily dismaying and disturbing, and told her that I was having dreams of being pregnant and getting distracted by guys--I felt like I was suddenly "turning straight". She looked at me kinda like this: blink.gif

I explained a little more about asexuality and how this was so weird to me...She then said she was more shocked that I'd have any such dreams because she knows how much procreation isn't on my list of things to do with my life.

Anyhow, that little episode passed, thank God. I did end up with a puppy out of it though. I mean, if an asexual lady's biological clock is going to start giving false alarms like that, the cutest Havanese ever isn't a bad way to satisfy it : )

If asexuality were linked to genetics, I just knoooooooow there would be people out there using that as a reason to come up with a 'cure'.  I'd just as soon wait until society as a whole is a good bit less skeptical of its very existence to find out there's a genetic component.  Less chance of getting a blank look and a "You're not like me?  Why, you poor thing!  Is there any way to fix you?"

I've told a good few people that I'm asexual.  I don't consider it coming out though, since it's not exactly anything that's hidden.  Just because they don't know doesn't mean it's in a closet.  Mostly it means it's not any of their business.  I've told some of my friends because the situation seemed right--one of them is a very openly gay guy, and I was surprised to discover he was also the least vocally understanding until I put what he was saying to me into the common terms that people who get flack from the masses tend to understand.  All my friends that know seem to be pretty cool with it.  They seem to understand that asexuality doesn't mean I don't find some humans exceedingly beautiful.  Or, at least they don't say anything if they don't understand.  Seem to roll with it pretty well.

I think I'm just getting the shock over telling someone who matters to me. They're not an open minded person so it was difficult and still is. I also find it fairly herd to talk about my emotions to anyone. Right now I'm just going through the motions of wanting to know why and how...I'll probably just get over it and finally accept it's not helping and to just live with myself. I'm happy the way I am but people react better to "proof". They can't feel what I feel (or don't feel for that matter) so I just don't want people thinking I'm making crap up. But then why should I care when I don't care about what they think of anything else about me. I guess I just need to unload some stress so rambling it out is helping.

Also, just because it might be genetic doesn't mean there would be any more chance for a "cure". Both my parents are blonde so I'm assuming my hair color comes from my family. That doesn't mean there is any way to "cure" blonde hair, only a way to cover it up like one would try with their sexuality. Even if there were a "cure" I don't think most of us would be taking it, just as anyone else in the alphabet soup wouldn't. For there to be a "cure" there needs to be something wrong and that's just what people need to figure out first is that there's nothing "wrong".

Also those dreams mean absolutely nothing. Just because I had a dream about turning my cat into a baked potato cat (sour cream and everything) doesn't mean I have subconscious urges to to eat cats or baked potatoes.

Edited by Wookieinmashoo

Ramble on! I hope it gets easier for you.

I just worry about people trying to 'cure' me and my family from our eccentricities because there are millions of people now marching this way and that for a 'cure' to autism spectrum issues but the people hollering for such a thing so very rarely ask the autists if they want cured. A whole lot of them absolutely do not see autism as a thing to cure. I know autism and asexuality aren't the same, but the principle is: Most people don't get it, so therefore they must be broken and need fixing!

Asexuality is one of my eccentricities, so I guess the idea of others finding a genetic component just scares me, because of how so many want to 'cure' people of their differences without permission : ( Or worse, abort them so they don't have to 'suffer' living a life the person could not comprehend themselves. I could see that happening so easily and it scares me.

I know dreams don't mean much, but it was really unexpected and I was also really feeling a...maternal thing, for want of a better way to say it, so...I have a puppy I dote on now and my parents call their grandpup : )

so...I have a puppy I dote on now and my parents call their grandpup : )

Too cute, my husband & I are living with his parents right now because we are going to school and we have 2 cats which my in-laws call their grandchildren and we call them the cats grandparents smile.gif

So, I want to share a picture of my tattoo because something I have found in the LGBTQ communities where I have lived is there are a growing number of us who become addicted to drugs (prescription and/or street drugs) or alcohol. I would like to point out that I am living proof that even if things go that way there is hope for getting off drugs.

I also would like to throw out there that if ANY ONE on here does have a substance problem PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE feel free to message me if you ever want to talk about some of the things that cause you to self medicate. I have done peer counselling before and anything discussed in PM will remain confidential.

user posted image

The meaning behind the tattoo is:

07-11-06: July 11th 2006 I got clean off drugs.

Pentagram (star in a circle): My religion which I embraced more when I got clean.

Devil Horns & Tail: My old life and all the bad things that happened.

Angel Wings: Flying into my new life.

Crown: Overcoming great obstacles (getting off drugs was REALLY hard!)

Rainbow colours in the crown: Gay Pride colours

Edited by Lord_Kishin

dropping by to throw in some respect for your tattoo <3

50% of sperms have X chromosomes...that's how men have daughters! Could be they can't get the DNA out if a sperm yet, or could be they can replace an egg's DNA with a sperm's, but haven't confirmed they can by actually doing because of the ethics.

There hasn't been any posts in a while...

So I have questions.

Does your city have a Pride week? Or at least a Pride Parade?

Our Pride week is June 11th-17th this year and the Pride Parade usually happens on the Saturday of Pride week.

Myself, I will probably be doing a glow-hoop performance for the Pride dance that happens the Saturday night after the Pride Parade.

If your area has Pride week what are your plans for it?

Edited by Lord_Kishin

I've not heard of there being anything like that in my area. I live in Southern California though, so I am very very sure there are such parades close enough that if anyone was interested, they could find one within easy reach.

I personally have no interest in them and I don't think they have much interest in me.

My girlfriend is driving up from Socal this summer and we're going to San Francisco Pride together <3 I've gone a few times in the past and it was pretty cool, the parade is awesome and so are all the booths. The San Jose one isn't that fantastic, but they have a "family day" part of it that's a nice thing to hang out at.

^^

I hear the San Diego Parade is really cool.

I live in a small town in Kentucky. There are no pride parades. I'm not even aware of a pride parade that's close enough for me to attend. ;_;

My girlfriend is driving up from Socal this summer and we're going to San Francisco Pride together <3 I've gone a few times in the past and it was pretty cool, the parade is awesome and so are all the booths. The San Jose one isn't that fantastic, but they have a "family day" part of it that's a nice thing to hang out at.

^^

I hear the San Diego Parade is really cool.

That's awesome! I use to live in Vancouver British Columbia and theirs is pretty spectacular. People from all over the world go to Vancouver for their Pride week events. I miss living there, it's an awesome feeling seeing so many people from different places all coming together to celebrate our sexuality differences.

I live in a small town in Kentucky. There are no pride parades. I'm not even aware of a pride parade that's close enough for me to attend. ;_;
While I don't live in Kentucky, you are definitely not alone.

On a different note, my sister is a lesbian. She has a girlfriend (soon to-be wife). After they get married, I think they are going to have a baby. o: Hm, well...have fun with that, sis! XDChildbirth scares me stfu.

Edit: And I support the LGBTQ community. Just thought I should put that in there.

Edited by Plant

I don't know why I do this to myself.

I sit on the computer all the time and read all the nasty, hateful things anti-gay people say on the internet. Doesn’t matter how many times I’ve done it before, it always make me feel like curling up in a ball and disappearing.

People scare me.

I wish they'd leave us alone.

I sit on the computer all the time and read all the nasty, hateful things anti-gay people say on the internet. Doesn’t matter how many times I’ve done it before, it always make me feel like curling up in a ball and disappearing.

People scare me.

*hugs*

I've done that before. I eventually had to tear myself away, though, because it got to the point where I'd cry over things that normally wouldn't phase me anymore.

Just remember that there are good people too. <3

People scare me.

I do the same thing. I read every piece of news I find that has to do with the LGBT community, be it good or bad.

The negativity in the comments made by people or the negativity in the article itself always unnerves me. But I just try to remember that for all the bad, there's good, too...

<hugs>

Hi Guys!

So, I don’t normally post on DC’s Forum but I was not comfortable posting this were I normally hang out, so you guys get to hear it instead. I’m a lesbian who is sort of half in and half out of the closet. I will not deny it if you ask me directly, but I’m not going to volunteer the information either. About two days ago, a friend from work posted something on Facebook about me and another male co-worker, who is bi and the only one at work that knows that I’m gay, accusing both of us being bi-sexual. It was done in such way that it could have been taken as a joke and so far no one has commented on it on FB, but a few people from work have asked me about it. The guy who posted it must have guessed about it, because no one I trust enough to have told would have spilled the beans to this guy (history of being a complete immature jerk). To make matter worse, I work for a church and most of the people at this church are mutual friends of all three of us, so they definitely saw it. I talked to the other guy who is involved and asked him to take it down, and now he is freaking out and does not want it up either but is afraid to take it down because he thinks that taking it down is going to confirm what was said.

My question is: Has this happened to you guys, and how did you handle it?

Hi Guys!

So, I don’t normally post on DC’s Forum but I was not comfortable posting this were I normally hang out, so you guys get to hear it instead. I’m a lesbian who is sort of half in and half out of the closet. I will not deny it if you ask me directly, but I’m not going to volunteer the information either. About two days ago, a friend from work posted something on Facebook about me and another male co-worker, who is bi and the only one at work that knows that I’m gay, accusing both of us being bi-sexual. It was done in such way that it could have been taken as a joke and so far no one has commented on it on FB, but a few people from work have asked me about it. The guy who posted it must have guessed about it, because no one I trust enough to have told would have spilled the beans to this guy (history of being a complete immature jerk). To make matter worse, I work for a church and most of the people at this church are mutual friends of all three of us, so they definitely saw it. I talked to the other guy who is involved and asked him to take it down, and now he is freaking out and does not want it up either but is afraid to take it down because he thinks that taking it down is going to confirm what was said.

My question is: Has this happened to you guys, and how did you handle it?

I've had this happen before.. and oddly the person who posted such things about me did a courageous thing (atleast I think he did) to rectify the situation. They removed the post in question and posted something new saying that they lied, it was all speculation and they were sorry if anyone was offended by the post. Now of course the post was true considering it was an accusation that another guy and myself were dating (which we were lol) but he agreed that it was nobodies business if we didn't want anyone to know. So I think the way he handled it actually showed that between the time he posted it and the time he rectified the situation he had matured a tad.

I'm Sock, and I'm panace.

Google couldn't find it for me. I'm wondering what "panace" is unsure.gif

(Is it short for something?)

/Usual lurker of this thread

Google couldn't find it for me. I'm wondering what "panace" is unsure.gif

(Is it short for something?)

/Usual lurker of this thread

I would assume it means panromantic asexual.

I would assume it means panromantic asexual.

Thanks very much. I was definitely able to recognize that. I just never saw it written as such ^^

~

Nice thread, by the way

People scare me.

That is the main reason why I stopped going to the debate threads with anything to do about gay rights or marriage. Some of the things on there make me cringe like people quoting the bible (or other religious texts). That was my main reason for creating this thread. smile.gif