Lord_Kishin

Gay Straight Alliance

I'm sure most, if not all, everyone here already knows me, but I'm Haze/Hazeh/Demitra and I'm 18 and lesbian. I also have two moms, go figure. A couple years ago I was the vice president and then the president of my school's GSA, and we did a lot of things like participate in an organization called the Courage Campaign and did some phone banking for Maine when Prop 1 (I think) first came out. Anyway, my GSA was a very friendly and open and welcoming group. Most of the time, however, we just had parties and did things together and tried to get stuff involved with our school. It was pretty cool. If I can find the old GSA commercial that our friend took, I'll link it to you guys.

I'm pretty anxious about my sexuality, actually. Though I don't personally feel something is wrong with me, after all these years of listening to people shout and scream about how "they gays are recruiting children" or "gays will make their children gay", sometimes I feel as though it was wrong for me to be a lesbian. Not that I'm not against my sexuality or anything- it's a bit hard to explain- because I enjoy the fact that I find women attractive and I joke around about it all the time. In person, I'm rather open about my sexuality and seemingly comfortable with it. But sometimes, I'm really not. I hate being that small fraction of people who can give fuel to those anti-gay protestors. I hate the fact that I'm a lesbian because it'll only strengthen their arguments about how having gay parents make kids gay. And although I know my moms didn't make me this way or do anything to make me this way (because I would have been a lesbian even if my father was a part of my life as a kid), I know those people won't see that. They'll only see the fact that I turned out gay like my moms, and I know they'll use that against my and my parents. And I hate that beyond all else.

So even though I guess it's bizarre that I would be all sketchy about being open about it sometimes, considering how my parents raised me to love myself for who I am and that it's okay, it still rubs me the wrong way some time. I just really wish some people weren't so stupid.

And yeah, I know I shouldn't care what other people think. But I do, and I know that's probably never going to change. That's just how I think, feel, and react. I can't help it.

I am new to Gay Straight alliances but here's goes, lol. I'm 20, going to be 21 this year and I'm proudly Bisexual myself, although I lean more towards women. No offense to males, but especially after my last relationship I just...really don't trust men right now...plus I feel more comfortable when I'm dating a female. I am currently single right now and have no current crushes but I find there absolutely NOTHING wrong with bring gay. I know quite a few gay people and I think their amazing. Gay bashers and homophobics get on my nerves, but I can't change other people's point of view.

I'm sure most, if not all, everyone here already knows me, but I'm Haze/Hazeh/Demitra and I'm 18 and lesbian. I also have two moms, go figure. A couple years ago I was the vice president and then the president of my school's GSA, and we did a lot of things like participate in an organization called the Courage Campaign and did some phone banking for Maine when Prop 1 (I think) first came out. Anyway, my GSA was a very friendly and open and welcoming group. Most of the time, however, we just had parties and did things together and tried to get stuff involved with our school. It was pretty cool. If I can find the old GSA commercial that our friend took, I'll link it to you guys.

I'm pretty anxious about my sexuality, actually. Though I don't personally feel something is wrong with me, after all these years of listening to people shout and scream about how "they gays are recruiting children" or "gays will make their children gay", sometimes I feel as though it was wrong for me to be a lesbian. Not that I'm not against my sexuality or anything- it's a bit hard to explain- because I enjoy the fact that I find women attractive and I joke around about it all the time. In person, I'm rather open about my sexuality and seemingly comfortable with it. But sometimes, I'm really not. I hate being that small fraction of people who can give fuel to those anti-gay protestors. I hate the fact that I'm a lesbian because it'll only strengthen their arguments about how having gay parents make kids gay. And although I know my moms didn't make me this way or do anything to make me this way (because I would have been a lesbian even if my father was a part of my life as a kid), I know those people won't see that. They'll only see the fact that I turned out gay like my moms, and I know they'll use that against my and my parents. And I hate that beyond all else.

So even though I guess it's bizarre that I would be all sketchy about being open about it sometimes, considering how my parents raised me to love myself for who I am and that it's okay, it still rubs me the wrong way some time. I just really wish some people weren't so stupid.

And yeah, I know I shouldn't care what other people think. But I do, and I know that's probably never going to change. That's just how I think, feel, and react. I can't help it.

user posted image

(Rainbow hug got nothing, so have some kitties)

Haze, that's a very understandable way to feel. *Internet hugs if you go for that sort of thing*

I don't think you'll always feel like that though. Maybe, but probably not.

Completely natural. You can't let people who only want to bring you down ruin your life, but it's natural to be upset when anyone shows dislike or disrespect for you. Don't feel guilty for being bothered! <3

user posted image

(Rainbow hug got nothing, so have some kitties)

Those cats are so cute... <3

I love cats. I have six of them myself, and I love'em dearly. XD

Hi, I'm Cyda. *waves*

I'm not really attracted to either sex. :/ So I guess you could say that I'm asexual. But sometimes I feel that I'm bi.

EDIT: And yes I realize that I'm a bit young to be labeling myself 'this' or 'that'. What I wrote is just how I feel.

Edited by CYDA LUVA83

Hi, I'm Cyda. *waves*

I'm not really attracted to either sex. :/ So I guess you could say that I'm asexual. But sometimes I feel that I'm bi.

You can be bi and asexual. ;3

In the end you are you and that is great. <3

You can be bi and asexual. ;3

In the end you are you and that is great. <3

That made my day.

Thanks *hugs*

That made my day.

Thanks *hugs*

Aww. *hugs* No problem. <3

~

(Comments are language-safe censor-wise as of this post)

Hilarious video with awesome people in it poking fun at the arguments against gay marriage, anyone?

Favorite board game? Does Jenga count? (I've never really thought much of it.)

I'm Day. I roam around the forums a lot. Somewhere along straight- asexual.

I can very closely relate with Kelkelen, growing up in a conservative, catholic family. Although I can never recall hearing a priest openly scorn bi or homosexuality (then again, I went to public and not catholic school), my parents were bent against the idea of gays being able to marry. I didn't think much about it and just went along with it for a while.

Then I learned that my best friend was gay. It was a very BIG shock considering we had been best friends since before 4th grade and not once had it even occurred to me. He hadn't even been the one to tell me. I learned about it from my then boyfriend and his friend. In a way, it hurt. But, I don't give a rat's tail that my best friend is gay or not. I deeply care for and support him and want him to be happy.

Knowing someone who is bi or homosexual really does make a difference on where you stand. Because of my friend, I've completely changed my thinking on the whole issue and the negative remarks from my parents, don't really make any sense to me anymore.

Hi, I'm Cyda. *waves*

EDIT: And yes I realize that I'm a bit young to be labeling myself 'this' or 'that'. What I wrote is just how I feel.

You're never too young to figure out your own identity! biggrin.gif

It's good that you're at least thinking about it, even if you're not 100% sure yet.

It's also okay if you feel like you might not fit into a specific category! You might feel more comfortable with one specific label as you explore your identity further, but don't worry if you never figure it out 100%... above all else, just be yourself smile.gif

Not everyone has the same sexual and romantic orientations, either--for example, I'm dating a girl who is asexual and biromantic (but leaning slightly more towards men). Labels can only describe so much, so don't worry about it if it's not perfect.

So I searched and couldn't find any topics on this which this is a bit broader subject than the threads out there.

This topic is a safe place for the LGBT community on here and their allies to converse on whatever (age appropriate) subject they like. The reason for this is because I see a lot of discussion on the moral right or wrong of things. This will be a place of support! Any hateful messages will not be tolerated in this topic because I feel that the LGBT people and their allies on this site NEED atleast 1 safe place where we can communicate with each other without feeling like we are being attacked by "discussion" from people who do not support us.

Please excuse the limitations presented with acronyms like LGBT and the topic name 'Gay Straight Alliance' this thread is open to people of all sexualities!

RULES:

• 1) All discussions in this topic will be SUPPORTIVE (meaning no hate speech)
  • 2) Any "flaming" or hateful messages will not be tolerated BE NICE!
  • 3) This is a safe place for LGBT people and their allies, if you do not like this you can go somewhere else it's only 1 click away.
  • 4) HAVE FUN
  • 5) Regular DC forum rules apply

If there are any posts that are inappropriate/hateful please contact a thread mod with your concern and we will take the neccesary actions.

Thread Mods:

• Lord_Kishin PM
  • prairiecrow PM

PLEASE DO NOT FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE TO OPENLY IDENTIFY AS ANY SEXUALITY AS LONG AS YOU ARE FOLLOWING THE RULES NO ONE NEEDS TO KNOW IF YOU ARE GAY, BI, LESBIAN, TRANS, OR ANY OTHER UNLESS YOU WANT TO POST IT!

Now I know some people won't want to openly identify so those people may not want a signature banner for this topic but if anyone would like to add it here is the code for the banner I created

[URL=http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=133425][IMG=http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii517/Kyle_Chalmers/GayStraightAlliance.jpg][/URL]

user posted image

Topic Reminder.

Please take chat to pm.

It says right in the second sentence "to converse on whatever (age appropriate) subject they like"...

Pretty sure mod opinion trumps that sentence... Even so, I'm not sure I really undesrstand what the point of this topic is. We already have numerous Sexuality and Marriage Rights threads that have a purpose in discussion and debate, and this sort of just seems to... be here.

Well that throws this thread right out the window, doesn't it?

Goodbye, little spark :|

Pretty sure mod opinion trumps that sentence... Even so, I'm not sure I really undesrstand what the point of this topic is. We already have numerous Sexuality and Marriage Rights threads that have a purpose in discussion and debate, and this sort of just seems to... be here.

I think (thought) it was a place where LGBT people and those who are totally sympathetic towards LGBT people could discuss things to do with LGBT (as in not chat cos that isn't allowed anywhere) and anyone who says it is against the Bible and evil and disgusting was simply not allowed to post ? Because the thread isn't about whether it is or isn't OK - this thread takes "It's OK to be LGBT" as a given ? A place of support ?

Well that throws this thread right out the window, doesn't it?

Goodbye, little spark :|

I'm not trying to rain on everyone's parade, here, it's just that I don't really understand what this thread is for. I can think of at least three threads that seem to accomplish this purpose.

I'm not trying to rain on everyone's parade, here, it's just that I don't really understand what this thread is for. I can think of at least three threads that seem to accomplish this purpose.

Which ?

Sexuality and Gay Marriage (the two you cite) are full of people saying LGBT people are sick and/or evil and contrary to various religions, and that they should never be allowed to have or adopt children lest they turn out gay too, because you WILL if you have gay parents... That gay marriage is plain WRONG.

PLEASE NOTE - I do not subscribe to ANY of that !

This thread does not - I think - intend to allow that. It is for people who think LGBT is perfectly fine, a part of normal human experience, who have no religious or "quasi-moral" issues with LGBT people. It is for such perfectly normal people to support one another.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Which ?

Sexuality and Gay Marriage (the two you cite) are full of people saying LGBT people are sick and evil and God Hates Them, and they should be cured/castrated/celibate for ever at the very least and better yet, stomped on. That they may not ever adopt children lest they turn them to their evil ways. That gay marriage is an abomination.

PLEASE NOTE - THIS IS ALL UTTER RUBBISH !

This thread does not allow that. It is for people who think LGBT is perfectly fine, a part of normal human experience, who have no religious or "quasi-moral" issues with LGBT people. It is for such people to support one another.

Even if that was a sarcastic statement, the DC board rules would not allow that since it would be considered harassment in part.

I think the thread is fine as is, since it's discussing the GSA and there are a lot of groups with stories to tell. There are personal stories in the other thread but not that many...maybe they just fit more here.

I know - all I'm saying is that this is not a thread where people who think it is all evil are intended to post. It is a support thread, pure and simple, not a discussion thread as such.

(One or two of those things HAVE actually been said in only marginally less inflammatory form, in both the threads named, BTW. But I will edit mine down if you edit my quote - if it comes across as if that I agree in ANY way with any of that ! Indeed I have done so.)

Edited by fuzzbucket

I think this thread is fine to use to share stories, offer support, and meet other allies on the site. The gay marriage thread is for just that--discussion of marriage. The sexuality thread is not as broad a topic as this is, either. I think that this thread is completely valid as long as it stays on topic and doesn't turn into unrelated chat.

I still think its a good idea. If somebody who is LBGTQ has had a tough time due to discrimination, and they just want to go somewhere like minded, where folks can give their sympathy and maybe tips on how to get through it, I imagine its not easy for you to go onto the Gay Marriage or Sexuality Thread and for any helpful, positive posts to immediately get drowned in debate about whether or not its a sin.

I'm not saying that the debate doesn't have a place- it absolutely does- but I think its nice that LBGTQ and supporting individuals have a place to feel safe.

I know - all I'm saying is that this is not a thread where people who think it is all evil are intended to post. It is a support thread, pure and simple, not a discussion thread as such.

(One or two of those things HAVE actually been said in only marginally less inflammatory form, in both the threads named, BTW. But I will edit mine down if you edit my quote - if it comes across as if that I agree in ANY way with any of that ! Indeed I have done so.)

Apologies, I didn't know people actually posted stuff like that because it could get warned. Also nothing is stopping such people posting the same thing here.

It says right on the first post.. a safe place AWAY from the discussion threads because there are people who overly post their negative opinions and I know I am personally tired of hearing what people seem to think is wrong and unnatural when I was born this way... they might as well label us a birth defect then because that's how it feels when they talk the way they do. This thread is entirely supportive of our lifestyles.

Apologies, I didn't know people actually posted stuff like that because it could get warned. Also nothing is stopping such people posting the same thing here
Ya sucks, they are allowed to in those topics because it falls under "discussion", trying to do that here will be considered posting off topic and the warned rule then applies to them if someone tries to post like that here. Edited by Lord_Kishin

I would like to point out that the opening paragraph in my first post has been edited to reflect the DC forum rules of no chat topics (Please see CPA thread for chat or use the PM button if you need to chat with one of the users in this thread)

Edit: That being said, whats the worst or most awkward situation people have been in when trying to explain their sexual preferences?

Mine will always be trying to explain to a professional that I am indeed married to another guy lol I always seem to catch a glimpse of a weird look for a split second before the information computes.

Edited by Lord_Kishin