Lord_Kishin

Gay Straight Alliance

still so so happy but it's kind of bittersweet as i'm thinking about gay people & gay rights activists who didn't live to see this day, as well as the kids who are still stuck in the closet listening to their friends/family complain about the same sex marriage ruling. i am eternally grateful to have the love and support that i do. i am so happy to be a part of not only american history but a the history of an issue incredibly important to me. america has a long way to go in terms of equality & social justice but damn today was a milestone. and of course let's not give up the fight for the countries who have yet to win this victory.

<3 <3 <3

Congrats! smile.gif

Don't rest too easy though. Look at Roe v Wade, evangelicals will never stop trying to chip away at your rights. Or, they'll try to impose their will in other countries.

But for now, holy White House display xd.png

user posted image

Edited by Vhale

To celebrate, I decided to sprite something rainbow in one sitting.

Bad choice.

I do like how it came out though. smile.gif

user posted image

GRATZ TO HOMOSEXUAL PEOPLE IN AMERICA!!!!!!!!

:3.

hurry up tony abbott and make gay marriage allowed in Australia......

What a wonderful thing to happen! I am so happy for all the Americans who have been waiting for this day with a ring in their pocket, and of course it's a wonderful strike for equaillity at long last. It feels like history is happening, and one day the next generations will ask 'why was it such a big deal?' and they won't understand when people explain.

That is my fondest wish.

Edited by silver_chan

So apparently some people are upset about this, and say they will move to Canada.

I hear Canada had legalized gay marriage for at least a decade before xd.png

And I hear one priest threatened to set himself on fire. Well, since some people call gays 'flamers', burning yourself makes no sense if you want to protest against gay marriage xd.png

This is what America is supposed to be; a land of equality. This is further painting that image

So apparently some people are upset about this, and say they will move to Canada.

I hear Canada had legalized gay marriage for at least a decade before xd.png

And I hear one priest threatened to set himself on fire. Well, since some people call gays 'flamers', burning yourself makes no sense if you want to protest against gay marriage xd.png

This is what America is supposed to be; a land of equality. This is further painting that image

Yes, Canada's had equal marriage for a decade, and judging by the lovely summer day I am seeing outside of my window we have not descended into godless chaos. Though we have an election in the fall, so godless chaos is impending.

Waking up to the wonderful news yesterday was one of the nicest things I had experienced in a long time. We still have a long way to go, but this is a very overdue step in the right direction. biggrin.gif

Bad choice.

user posted image

That is stunning! ohmy.gif I can't stop looking at it. *-*

Congratulations to the states and all of the happy couples this will affect.

Bad choice.

user posted image

How... How did I not see such gorgeousness!!! Oh my goodness its wonderful! Can... Can is put it in my sig? Its so lovely.

Thank you <3

One thing I've seen and its mostly on facebook is some people are being a little negative about the whole gay marriage thing. Its not so much that they don't like it, it seems that in the grand scale that is human right and equality, to them gay marriage wasn't an important issue.

I've seen some people, and more often one person, posting about how instead of focusing on gay marriage we need to focus on the issues revolving transgendered deaths and abuse as well as other issues and they just keep pressing this non stop agenda about how this is not important or how its not needed and there are better things to focus on and we should focus on that instead of on trivial things like marriage and its really insulting to me because as part of the LGBT community I can understand that in the fight for equality there are many, many pressing matters, but this is one battle one in what is the grand scale war of human rights and equality.

It makes me feel insulted that these people try to call themselves supporters or even members of the community when they cannot take the time to appreciate how much this little win means to so many people. Yes there are so many awful things still going on against people of the LGBT community, yes they are just as important if not maybe more, but that does not give anyone the right to trash or sully this wonderful occasion. This has been the first step that the LGBT community has taken into winning some form of rights for people of this community and we should revel in it while we can.

No one is ignoring those problems, no one is putting them aside and saying "Welp all is done lets go home" No. People are saying "We won! lets celebrate and breathe before we have to pick up our arms and head off to the next battle." Even in real war, you cannot push your troops continuously from battle to battle without giving them a chance to revel and breath through ever victory. What was a defeat four hours ago could have been a victory six hours ago. These people need to understand that every fight we are involved in is stressful and draining, especially since we have to deal with this on a day to day basis. they can't just expect us to not try and enjoy our victory before moving on to the next issue.

The way I see it is "yes, we did the thing, good. Now let's make sure people can't be fired the day after they get marries because they're gay."

Well, yeah, of course there are still lots of equal rights issues in the US, but does that mean we aren't supposed to enjoy this? Thousands of people now have a right that others have had since the country's founding.

Non-heterosexuality has been recognized and validated. That means something. No, it's not everything, but it's pretty huge, especially when the issue has been fought over for so long. The first step is arguably the most important.

This opens up discussion and real possibilities for other minorities, both with gender-identities and sexualities.

We have to start somewhere, and I think this is a good first step. Marriage is pretty non-controversial, and homosexuality has been present (if on the down low) for a while. (Spoiler'd because I think this opinion might be controversial??): It's a simple concept, and I think the country needs to be slowly introduced to equality--not because that's the right course of action (it isn't), but to avoid chaos. Even this small change has caused disruption among conservatives. Something more liberal might cause.. larger/more violent rebellion.

There's only so much you can do at once. This is... well, I see it as opening the equality floodgates. I hope that's what it is.

I worry about people who do something that they've wanted to do for so long and lose their jobs for it. I worry about people who don't do it because they can't afford to lose their jobs. I worry because I'm out of work at the moment and I know how hard it is to find a job at all, much less something that pays actual wages, much less something in your field.

And I worry because despite marriage not being an issue for me - aro/ace here - I'm not the female people see me as. And I'm getting tired of having to pick a gender from a radio button list of male or female. Yes, I'm glad that we have collectively been told to get our heads out of our asses - despite jerks shutting down marriage for everyone as a reaction. People are stupid. I just can't accept it as the victory it should be because it seems hollow to have so many avatars in rainbow because it's so simple to get ally points by doing it.

The radio button for male/female is ridiculous. At least a "Not Telling" option, like there is for here, should be available--and IMO it's pretty awful to require that someone select a gender before editing their profile, which is something a lot of websites require.... :/

I am shocked at how many people are suddenly allies since the 26.

Like one girl I know never said a thing about gay rights and now the only thing she's been posting about is gay marriage.

People who I know for a fact are homophobes suddenly have rainbow avatars.

I know people change or don't always talk about their beliefs but it's still strange.

Marriage is great and all but in terms of rights it's just a very very small drop in a rather empty bucket for LGBTQ people.

Well gender and sex are different aspects. I appreciate the places that offer an other button or a "rather not disclose" because gender is so widespread and hardly understood.

I agree that the consequences are still an issue and for those of us who have been with the community, know the hardships, and have been expressing our voices to get things done, though it may be a tiny step, its a step none the less. It is a drop from a faucet that from now on will not stop dripping.

First is marriage, next is job security, next is trans acceptance, and so on and so forth. This train has started moving and ain't no one stopping it. That does not mean that we cannot celebrate each new mile we traverse, each minute the train continues to move unhindered, not call out in joy for every new drop that will now start to slowly but surely fill up that bucket.

I will say though that those who don't care about the LGBT community who are trying to seem supportive just to follow along like its some trend is annoying.

You are right.

I'm shocked at how quickly LGBT people have become accepted.

I remember when I was a kid and terrified to let people know that I was bi.

Now most of the people I know are in favor of gay rights. (Including people who made fun of me for being a "dyke" when we were younger)

So much progress has been made in such little time.

You are right.

I'm shocked at how quickly LGBT people have become accepted.

I remember when I was a kid and terrified to let people know that I was bi.

Now most of the people I know are in favor of gay rights. (Including people who made fun of me for being a "dyke" when we were younger)

So much progress has been made in such little time.

Oh I know. I've always had little shame about who I am to everyone. The only exception being my family cuz well I live under the same roof as them and I'd rather not add extra stress and anxiety to my life.

Its wonderful to be able to say "Yes I'm Bisexual/Homosexual/Transexual/Pansexual/Asexual/etc"

its nice to see how many people can not breathe.

No more holding in your breath,

No more hoping no one notices

no more fear of breathing that same air because people try to make you some different species.

People can not breathe and be accepted as people.

Its wonderful.

There is still a whole ton of progress that needs to be done but this is one small but sure step in the right direction and I am happy to be alive and part of this.